PDA

View Full Version : EAD Delays. Action plan.

alterego
06-19-2007, 01:05 PM
I wanted to start this thread so we could get together a plan of action for victims of undue processing delays for EAD/AP. This is a very serious and upcoming issue and we would all be well served to pool ideas.
Here is what I have so far. Some ideas based on my experience and some on searching the web.

1) Apply for your EAD atleast 120 days ahead of the expiry of the current one(USCIS now reccomends 6mths ahead!) Yes you may lose time if they approve it early but atleast, you have the peace of mind and it gives you 30 days breathing space in case of RFE or to get an interim EAD.

2) Check for a LUD at or slightly after 80 days pending. Contact your lawyer at about this time for suggestions.

3) Schedule an infopass appointment for day 91. Ask for the interim EAD.
You can also call the regional service center if you wish.

4) Contact your congressman's office at about this time and ask for their assistance in expediting this request.

5) Fedex an application for an interim EAD the same day. Include a copy of your current EAD copy, your pending 485 on which the interim benefits are based and a copy of attendance at any recently done biometrics.

6) Consider talking with your employer to take a few days off while sorting this out.

If anyone has any additions to this checklist of items or suggestions/modifications. Let me know.

techbuyer77
06-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Can people still get interim?

alterego
06-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Yes but it is given at the service center where the case is pending. This was a change instituted last year Sept. or thereabouts.

gcnirvana
06-19-2007, 01:33 PM
...as long as the EAD renewal application is pending for more than 90 days.
Can people still get interim?

MLS
06-19-2007, 01:37 PM
I dont know exactly what is the issue here, but I have filed for EAD extentions 3 times in last three years and it was a very straight forward and easy process. We filed the extentions about 2 months before the expiration and got EADs and APs done in about a month.

I wanted to start this thread so we could get together a plan of action for victims of undue processing delays for EAD/AP. This is a very serious and upcoming issue and we would all be well served to pool ideas.
Here is what I have so far. Some ideas based on my experience and some on searching the web.

1) Apply for your EAD atleast 120 days ahead of the expiry of the current one(USCIS now reccomends 6mths ahead!) Yes you may lose time if they approve it early but atleast, you have the peace of mind and it gives you 30 days breathing space in case of RFE or to get an interim EAD.

2) Check for a LUD at or slightly after 80 days pending. Contact your lawyer at about this time for suggestions.

3) Schedule an infopass appointment for day 91. Ask for the interim EAD.
You can also call the regional service center if you wish.

4) Contact your congressman's office at about this time and ask for their assistance in expediting this request.

5) Fedex an application for an interim EAD the same day. Include a copy of your current EAD copy, your pending 485 on which the interim benefits are based and a copy of attendance at any recently done biometrics.

6) Consider talking with your employer to take a few days off while sorting this out.

If anyone has any additions to this checklist of items or suggestions/modifications. Let me know.

ArunAntonio
06-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Well, when you applied in the past the whole world was not current.. just imagine the number of people who will be applying for EAD's not that any one with an approved labor can get one ... do you think the USCIC is equipped to respond timely to every one?
There sure will delays and we need to plan for that.

I dont know exactly what is the issue here, but I have filed for EAD extentions 3 times in last three years and it was a very straight forward and easy process. We filed the extentions about 2 months before the expiration and got EADs and APs done in about a month.

waiting4gc02
06-19-2007, 01:44 PM
EAD/AP's dates are back to normal ( ~90 days)

So, stop panicking ppl..

For once, USCIS, fixed there error ..fast enough..!!!

Cheers..

chandrajp
06-19-2007, 02:14 PM
The USCIS website says one need to file 6 months in advance for EAD. It may come out to be true now based on the flood of applications received after July 1st this year. I filed for EAD extentions 3 times in last three years and last 2 times I got in less than a month, this year it took close to 3 months. So always apply 6 months in advance as advised in website

chandrajp
06-19-2007, 02:18 PM
The USCIS website says one need to file 6 months in advance for EAD. It may come out to be true now based on the flood of applications received after July 1st this year. I filed for EAD extentions 3 times in last three years and last 2 times I got in less than a month, this year it took close to 3 months. So always apply 6 months in advance as advised in website
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=d502194d3e88d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCR D&vgnextchannel=1847c9ee2f82b010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1 RCRD

radhay
06-19-2007, 03:07 PM
Is there are rule governing how far in advance( before the current EAD expires) we can apply for EAD renewal? Is it ok to apply 7 months in advance?

WillIBLucky
06-19-2007, 03:09 PM
Is there are rule governing how far in advance( before the current EAD expires) we can apply for EAD renewal? Is it ok to apply 7 months in advance?
The usual thumb rule for USCIS is 6 months in advance for any renewal or extensions.