PDA

View Full Version : What if I-140 gets rejected when I-485 is pending

abhijitp
06-21-2007, 02:59 AM
In case the I-485 is filed concurrently with I-140 or on the basis of a I-140 "pending approval", if the "I-140" is rejected (say because it was incorrectly classified as EB-2 when it should have been EB-3), then is the I-485 also automatically rejected? (My guess: YES)

If this happens to you, does this mean you may not be able to resubmit I-485 if your "priority date" is not current at the time you came to know it got rejected? (My guess: YES... and this is a scary scenario.)

Finally, if the I-140 (EB2) is mentions the requirement to be "BS + 5 years of post BS experience", but the the reviewing officer thinks that the 140 application is not supported by "proper" evidence of 5 years of progressive post BS experience.... then would it generate an RFE or would it straightaway cause a rejection of the I-140?

Experts, please comment. I may have to face this scenario.

Thanks!

Abhijit
Contribution so far: $100

raj2007
06-21-2007, 04:52 AM
In case the I-485 is filed concurrently with I-140 or on the basis of a I-140 "pending approval", if the "I-140" is rejected (say because it was incorrectly classified as EB-2 when it should have been EB-3), then is the I-485 also automatically rejected? (My guess: YES)

If this happens to you, does this mean you may not be able to resubmit I-485 if your "priority date" is not current at the time you came to know it got rejected? (My guess: YES... and this is a scary scenario.)

Finally, if the I-140 (EB2) is mentions the requirement to be "BS + 5 years of post BS experience", but the the reviewing officer thinks that the 140 application is not supported by "proper" evidence of 5 years of progressive post BS experience.... then would it generate an RFE or would it straightaway cause a rejection of the I-140?

Thanks!

Abhijit

You should get RFE but rules are changing all the time. If you are not sure file 2nd I-140 with EB3.

abhijitp
06-21-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks Raj. No, I do qualify for EB-2 so I would not want to apply under EB-3, but I just don't know if the attorneys filed everything (e.g progressive experience letters) appropriately, if not, what happens? Hopefully an RFE.
If it instead got rejected, so would the I-1485 (AOS) application that depends on it right?

desi3933
06-21-2007, 11:30 AM

Thanks!

Abhijit

Unless you have another I-140 (or I-130) that can be used to support I-485, there is good chance that I-485 will be denied.

Not a legal advice.

softcrowd
06-21-2007, 11:43 AM
So if my 140 is denied while my 485 is pending & if I have another 140 that's approved, Can I just swap it? Is that possible?

bigboy007
06-21-2007, 11:49 AM
but why are you so sure your 140 will be denied. USCIS will send u an RFE and also in worst NOID - Notice of Intent of Denial so that gives you enough room to decide on what should be done so that I140 wont be rejected.

Also : 140 gets rejected in following cases:

1. Degree compatability
2. Exp + degree in EB2
3. Financial ability of firm - this only with bad records

i dont see any other reason why 140 should be rejected i am not over optimistic but any one can comment on these it would great.

onemoredesi
06-21-2007, 11:53 AM

Thanks!

Abhijit

Abhijit,
This happened to a very close friend of mine a couple of years ago when he was in hi 6th year. He luckily found a labor substitution at that time and was able to immediately file.
I-140 is probably most important of the entire green card process.. it is what proves the employer's capability to pay the prospective employee.
To your question, if I-140 is rejected, your entire application is denied.. I-485 is immediately nullified.
You might want to talk to your attorney if you have the slightest of the doubts..

abhijitp
06-21-2007, 12:26 PM
for your quick responses!

I am not SURE that my 140 will be rejected, but historically the attorney/paralegal has made mistakes in almost every stage-- which is why I would not want to take chances.

The best option right now seems to be to premium process the I-140, and see what happens to it before applying for the 485. There can be issues doing this for ME, bcos of the thing I said here:
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5199

Doea anyone have any advice on the situation I tried to explain in the above thread?

As a general rule, I am beginning to think that the idea of concurrent filing is a bit misleading. Your 485 can be rejected bcos of your 140 being denied. This is not well understood by people (it was not by me) when the think about concurrent filing.

Thanks!

abhijitp
06-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Also : 140 gets rejected in following cases:

1. Degree compatability
2. Exp + degree in EB2
3. Financial ability of firm - this only with bad records

i dont see any other reason why 140 should be rejected i am not over optimistic but any one can comment on these it would great.

BigBoy, it can get an RFE bcos of insufficient evidence to support "EB-2". A rejection can also happen for trivial reasons e.g. my labor cert was first rejected for a typo (incorrect date), and we had to re-file a week later.

I spoke to my attorney/HR and they are ok to premium process my first I-140 (which is categorized incorrectly as EB-3 by the paralegal, although the covering letter for that I-140 clearly says EB-2.)

But my Successor in interest application cannot be premium processed as the original labor app was attached to the first I-140. Apparently there is a rule you can only premium process an I-140 which has the original labor cert attached.

When I asked my attorney if USCIS will return the original labor cert at the end of the first I-140 decision, she said NO, it is not returned!! Is this true? I was hoping to at least get hold of that original labor cert, so that if the I-140 is somehow rejected then I could use the original labor cert to file a new I-140 successor in interest application under premium processing.

Comments/suggestions welcome.

Thanks!
Abhijit