PDA

View Full Version : Immigration Photos

brahmam
06-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Folks

where are you guys taking these? Fedex kinko's would be fine? any pointers in the NY-NJ area?

Thanks

p7810456
06-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Folks

where are you guys taking these? Fedex kinko's would be fine? any pointers in the NY-NJ area?

Thanks
I got mine from Walmart, after i heard from couple of my friends. they give 6 photos for 8 bucks or something, where-as if you go to places like Walgreens or CVS.. they only give 2 photos for 8 bucks.

vikki76
06-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Why can't garbage be thrown in Walmart shopping plastic bags?
It doesn't make sense to harm environment even more by buying new things.In fact, there are new trash cans available whose upper mouth is designed to fit in shopping bags itself.
Regards photos-Let's say you save $20 by saving on photo. You can put this extra $20 in bank @rate of 5%. or you can spend it on extra dinner/movie.
Both options will still rejuvenate economy.
If you send saved $20 to India-Indian govt will be happy to reduce its oil import bill by $20, your family will use this $20 to buy a new Motorola cell phone/Nike shoes or eat dinner at MacDonalds.
Circle of Money never stops.

GCSOON-Ihope
06-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Brahmam and Company -

This is the height of Frugality sir :eek: . Contribute something to this society instead looting(??) everything from here and wiring to Bank of India or whatever:p .There should be a limit to this nonsense questions to be posted for Members to Read and Answer. Please grow up in life.Few Dollars here and there will not make this World upside down nor will it buy huge real estate lands in your Place. Also, buy Trash-bags for throwing Trash instead of use Walmart plastic to throw into Dumpsters.Some in my Apts do that all the time inspite of Property Managers advising against doing it.you fall in this Category.

To answer your Question, Walmart is the cheapest for anything .Period.Why?? Please see this Documentary 'Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price '.

I'll give you the last call to burn your ego.:cool:

- Shalom

1 100 % agree with you! Some people on this forum are so darn cheap, that really infuriates me sometimes. What are a few bucks, even a few hundreds or thousands compared to the benefits of getting a GC?
Anyway...do you have the link to that WalMart story?

brahmam
06-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Brahmam and Company -

- Shalom

and up yours :D

be of use sometimes instead of your gibberish. you did not answer my question but are busy sermonizing. get a life bro .. cheers

No, I am not going to go to walmart because have heard of some people's photos being rejected by INS in the past. hence wanted a more authentic studio, if any.

newcomer
06-23-2007, 05:57 PM
I beg to differ with your opinion about using the walmart bags are trash bags.

One of the reason that I can think of is...

There are apartments where kitchens are so small where you are forced to buy small trash cans and stuff them under the sinck.The best way to fit these can's is with Shopping Bags, not with 5 or 10 gallon's garbbage bag.

Brahmam and Company -

This is the height of Frugality sir :eek: . Contribute something to this society instead looting(??) everything from here and wiring to Bank of India or whatever:p .There should be a limit to this nonsense questions to be posted for Members to Read and Answer. Please grow up in life.Few Dollars here and there will not make this World upside down nor will it buy huge real estate lands in your Place. Also, buy Trash-bags for throwing Trash instead of use Walmart plastic to throw into Dumpsters.Some in my Apts do that all the time inspite of Property Managers advising against doing it.you fall in this Category.

To answer your Question, Walmart is the cheapest for anything .Period.Why?? Please see this Documentary 'Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price '.

- Shalom

ramus
06-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Guys, before creating new thred please take a min and see if there is already any thred with the same subject.. There are already 2 threds with same subject..

To your question:- If you have AAA membership then they will do it for free.

Please think about contributing small amount to IV..

Folks

Thanks

mariusp
06-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Kinkos is horrible!!! I went there this morning and had to wait 40 minutes for my photos and when they came back they had a greenish tint and the colors were all washed out. They looked like a two year old photoshoped them :D Clearly they would have been rejected by immigration so I asked for my money back.

I then went to Sears and they did a great job. They have professional studio equipment and all it took was 5 minutes and I had all my copies looking great like they're supposed to.

So... Sears, highly recommended. They charged me $61 for two sets of 8 photos for me and my wife which is the same price as Kinkos or CVS & Walgreens, less the horrible amateurish quality.

shukla77
06-23-2007, 07:49 PM
I guess MOST of the people are concerned about the quality of photos than $ spent. My friend had RFE because the photos he got from CVS were not upto USCIS specifications. So any + experience is valuable to the forum.

Cheers..

k_usa
06-23-2007, 09:35 PM
I first took 2 photos for me and 2 photos for my wife from Walgreens @7.99 per 2 copies. But the quality is not at all good.

So we went to Costco today and took the photos @4.99 per 2 copies and the quality is very good and they followed the USCIS specs.

sledge_hammer
06-26-2007, 03:29 PM
The photos I got from CVS was not bright enough. So the guy brightened the photos for me. Now the photos look a little touched up ...

What are considered bad photos?

I guess MOST of the people are concerned about the quality of photos than $ spent. My friend had RFE because the photos he got from CVS were not upto USCIS specifications. So any + experience is valuable to the forum.

Cheers..

tnite
06-26-2007, 03:30 PM
The photos I got from CVS was not bright enough. So the guy brightened the photos for me. Now the photos look a little touched up ...

What are considered bad photos?

Anything that get's you a RFE is bad..

I got it from CVS and they look good.

ujjvalkoul
06-26-2007, 03:31 PM
everyone I go to offers Digital Photos (ID PHotos)....my attorneys had said Digitals are not acceptable...but looks like that is all u can get nowadays...
BTW Costco is the cheapest!!!

sledge_hammer
06-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Is brightening the photos considered "retouching"?

gc_check
06-26-2007, 03:49 PM
Kinkos is horrible!!! I went there this morning and had to wait 40 minutes for my photos and when they came back they had a greenish tint and the colors were all washed out. They looked like a two year old photoshoped them :D Clearly they would have been rejected by immigration so I asked for my money back.

I then went to Sears and they did a great job. They have professional studio equipment and all it took was 5 minutes and I had all my copies looking great like they're supposed to.

So... Sears, highly recommended. They charged me $61 for two sets of 8 photos for me and my wife which is the same price as Kinkos or CVS & Walgreens, less the horrible amateurish quality.

I took the first set of photos in Walgreens, but the background was not clean although plain white.. they was a very light spot in center of the photo, although not obvious, when asked I was told thatz how the background screen is and all photos they take are the same and they showed me few samples. I was not happy and drove straight to Sears and the photo I took came out pretty good. Same or better than the samples in the link below
http://travel.state.gov/passport/guide/composition/composition_874.html
I recommend Sears too.

vxg
06-26-2007, 03:50 PM

USCIS photo guidelines state No touchups should be done. I suggest use a portrait studio of Kinko's

ItIsNotFunny
06-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Brahmam and Company -

- Shalom

I personally see no issues with what he asked. He just wanted to know more authentic place to get passport pics. May be his English was not matching with yours.

gc_check
06-26-2007, 03:52 PM
Immigration Photos Standards are similar to that for the US Passport. Refer to below link for FAQ's on Photos.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/guide/faq/faq_881.html
http://travel.state.gov/passport/guide/guide_2081.html
http://travel.state.gov/passport/guide/composition/composition_874.html

brahmam
06-26-2007, 03:57 PM
I went to Kinko's .. $45 for 12 photos. Looks good, with no marks et al. one never knows ofcourse until one gets an RFE :D

spdy_mn
06-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Go to motophoto. You can find a store nearer to you at this website. www.motophoto.com (http://www.motophoto.com)The are in the photography business and have all the specs for different immigration and passport requirements. They are not like walmar, walgreens or Costco whose primary business is not photography.

The price may be a little high or may be not but you get the right stuff.

miguy
06-26-2007, 04:05 PM
checked with AAA.......they give only 4 free photos, you pay $10 for each additional set of 2 photographs.......who said they give all free photos for members?

I am being a little frugal:D :p :D

jgh_res
06-26-2007, 04:09 PM
You can goto a portrait studio, if u dont want digital pictures. For example JCPenny. They take with a polaroid camera. I get them there.

everyone I go to offers Digital Photos (ID PHotos)....my attorneys had said Digitals are not acceptable...but looks like that is all u can get nowadays...
BTW Costco is the cheapest!!!

OLDMONK
06-26-2007, 04:17 PM
My experience with Picture People was ok - fair, I guess those are fine pictures as per USCIS specifications, but nothing out of the ordinary. 14.99 for a set of 4 pictures. Set me back about $80 for 3 sets of 8 pictures.

But my own pictures came out better and are as per specifications. The question is whether to take a chance in case i missed anything or to go with Ok-Fair pictures from Picture People. decisions.. decisions... damn.. retrogression

and of course most portrait studios would guarantee acceptance else will give you a refund or take pictures again for free in case of an RFE.

jgh_res
06-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Dude, You are looking at not getting a RFE based on the pics. Not that picture people or JCPenny takes great pics and make u look like Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise.
:D :p
I got 2 RFE's for pictures only. Those are the only 2 RFE's till date for me.
I had real bad experience with digital pics. But there are many people who didnt have any issues. So it is all your luck.

If you have RFE, it sets u back by 2 months for the approval.

Just my 2 cents.....

My experience with Picture People was ok - fair, I guess those are fine pictures as per USCIS specifications, but nothing out of the ordinary. 14.99 for a set of 4 pictures. Set me back about $80 for 3 sets of 8 pictures.

But my own pictures came out better and are as per specifications. The question is whether to take a chance in case i missed anything or to go with Ok-Fair pictures from Picture People. decisions.. decisions... damn.. retrogression

roseball
06-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Guys,

I got mine done at samsclub..Its the cheapest and quality is good too.

You pay $4.99 for 2 copies and 40 cents for each additional copy...I dont think anybody else can beat this price.....

gg10004
06-26-2007, 04:31 PM
I initially went to FedEx/Kinkos new jersey, paid 50 bucks for myself and wife 6 copies each. Photos were horrible with yellow tinge, though they were of the correct specs. I refused to accept it, but they said if there are any issues they will be glad to help, but I had to pay for their crap.
Then I went to Sears, around 60$ for 6 copies each for myself and wife. The prints were excellent, waterproof and not retouched. They printed it out on immigration specified sheets. Only catch was I had to cut out the photos myself, they are not allowd to cut them.

Folks

Thanks

sledge_hammer
06-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Can you please explain in detail what the RFE was about? What was it that USCIS did not like about your photos?

Thanks!

Dude, You are looking at not getting a RFE based on the pics. Not that picture people or JCPenny takes great pics and make u look like Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise.
:D :p
I got 2 RFE's for pictures only. Those are the only 2 RFE's till date for me.
I had real bad experience with digital pics. But there are many people who didnt have any issues. So it is all your luck.

If you have RFE, it sets u back by 2 months for the approval.

Just my 2 cents.....

ujjvalkoul
06-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Have any lawyers recommended against DIGITAL Photos? and Asked to use on Polaroids?

jgh_res
06-26-2007, 04:46 PM
The following was the message for the first one which was 2 years ago.

You must submit two identical color photographs of yourself taken within 30 days of the filing of this application. The photos must have a white background, be printed on thin paper with a glossy finish, and be unmounted and unretouched. NOTE: Digital photos are NOT acceptable.

In the latest RFE, they didnt say anything about digital. Just wanted me to submit another set of pics.

Can you please explain in detail what the RFE was about? What was it that USCIS did not like about your photos?

Thanks!

brahmam
06-26-2007, 04:48 PM
I initially went to FedEx/Kinkos new jersey, paid 50 bucks for myself and wife 6 copies each. Photos were horrible with yellow tinge, though they were of the correct specs. I refused to accept it, but they said if there are any issues they will be glad to help, but I had to pay for their crap.
Then I went to Sears, around 60$ for 6 copies each for myself and wife. The prints were excellent, waterproof and not retouched. They printed it out on immigration specified sheets. Only catch was I had to cut out the photos myself, they are not allowd to cut them.

My photos have a bright background and I do not see that yellowish tinge you are talking about. Again, one cannot brush all kinko's or all walgreens the same I guess. Ofcourse, what is bright is probably again left to the USCIS officer's judgement. Hopefully it will not be an issue. the only thing I noticed was that my photo was taken very close up to adhere to the USCIS requirements. He was zooming in a lot. Is that the same with everyone else too?

GC4US
06-26-2007, 05:02 PM
Could you please tell me how is it with the pictures for I-485 ?

Is the photo digital or paper? OR the photo is first digital then you're printing it? Am I correct?

So from my understanding.....you go to Kinkos or CVS( do they know the requeirments of photo if I tell them about immigration photo for Adjustment of status?) .....they make a digital photo of you and then they are printing the digital photo? is this correct?

Please tell me what to do and where to go for I-485 photos.

Thank you in advance so much for your help.

GCard_Dream
06-26-2007, 05:05 PM
I am getting confused here about digital photo and USCIS not accepting them. I am assuming that "digital photo" just means pictures taken from a digital camera and printed out, which is what most of the studios do anyways, so why would USCIS have any problem with it. Is there a difference in pictures taken from a digital camera vs poloroid camera? If anything, digital camera most likey will have far better picture quality than poloroid camera so what's the deal with "digital photo" being unacceptable. Or do you guys mean a photo on a floppy of something when you say digital photo.

vxg
06-26-2007, 05:10 PM
I am getting confused here about digital photo and USCIS not accepting them. I am assuming that "digital photo" just means pictures taken from a digital camera and printed out, which is what most of the studios do anyways, so why would USCIS have any problem with it. Is there a difference in pictures taken from a digital camera vs poloroid camera? If anything, digital camera most likey will have far better picture quality than poloroid camera so what's the deal with "digital photo" being unacceptable. Or do you guys mean a photo on a floppy of something when you say digital photo.
Check the photo guidelines from USCIS website here is blurb
"For U.S. passport and visa photographs, a digital camera with a resolution of 1 mega-pixel will be more than adequate for capturing the image and producing the final photo that conforms to the dimensions specified on this web site.
and the link is
http://travel.state.gov/passport/guide/digital/digital_880.html
digital photos are OK if printed prpoerly.

GCard_Dream
06-26-2007, 05:26 PM
Great. Thanks. That's what I had thought until someone came out and said that digital photos are unacceptable.

Check the photo guidelines from USCIS website here is blurb
"For U.S. passport and visa photographs, a digital camera with a resolution of 1 mega-pixel will be more than adequate for capturing the image and producing the final photo that conforms to the dimensions specified on this web site.
and the link is
http://travel.state.gov/passport/guide/digital/digital_880.html
digital photos are OK if printed prpoerly.

ujjvalkoul
06-26-2007, 05:29 PM
Great. Thanks. That's what I had thought until someone came out and said that digital photos are unacceptable.
and that someone was me as my attorneys had suggested to in their memo. Now I will take this link back to them:
http://travel.state.gov/passport/gui...gital_880.html

sunny26
06-26-2007, 06:03 PM
hi
we took our photo in cvs . its ok but there is some shadow(ghost image) in few place.Is it ok?

sunny

Green.Tech
06-27-2007, 02:58 PM
Does anyone know if polaroids are ok?

Otherwise, I have photos that I printed at Walmart (clicked using my digital camera) but those were a little dark and I enchanced the brightness. Don't know if those are valid or not?

EdenMN
06-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Hi
We got our photos from SEARS . It is expensive(36$ for 8 photos ,(no option of ordering just 6 photos) )but quality is great !!!!

tell them you need photo for immigration documentation purpose , they are aware of USCIS requirement.

so if u care about quality go to SEARS ,if u don't care about quality go to CVS

IneedAllGreen
06-27-2007, 03:33 PM
I second your opinion. I went to Kinkos for quality of photos. I dont have maline thought for other places wherever people had visited or thought to visiting in future. I had taken photos in 2002 from Kinkos and they were using Polaroid camera those days. I sent those photos for H1B Visa stamping at State Department in DC. It worked that time and I liked Sears as well for their quality work. By the way I took lots of photos in 2004 from Sears for Marriage proposals. Yeah I got marry last year because I sent Good quality photo to my in-law family. You see you get what you pay for..Guys as "LogicLife" says you get priceless GC while you dont want to pay couple of extra bucks....Poor you...

Thanks

Hi
We got our photos from SEARS . It is expensive(36$ for 8 photos ,(no option of ordering just 6 photos) )but quality is great !!!!

tell them you need photo for immigration documentation purpose , they are aware of USCIS requirement.

so if u care about quality go to SEARS ,if u don't care about quality go to CVS

Green.Tech
06-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Janak et. al.

Guys, please read what people are asking for before you insert your smart ass comments and start preaching. No one is talking about saving money. People are just trying to know which photos are acceptable to USCIS.

Get a life man!

EdenMN
06-27-2007, 03:39 PM
Mr. janakP

if you can not suggest a good place to get photos, that's ok. but

watch your tongue, before commenting on someone....

yabadaba
06-27-2007, 03:50 PM
hey guys the main problem with digital cameras was that the images from them could be pixelated whn using a lower megapixel camera and/or printing from one of those home photo printers.

i think as long as u dont have pixelation, u will be fine no matter how u print/ get those photos.

i would say use at least a 4 megapixel camera without any flash

Green.Tech
06-27-2007, 04:10 PM
hey guys the main problem with digital cameras was that the images from them could be pixelated whn using a lower megapixel camera and/or printing from one of those home photo printers.

i think as long as u dont have pixelation, u will be fine no matter how u print/ get those photos.

i would say use at least a 4 megapixel camera without any flash

What about a 3.2 MP :)

Why shouldn't we use the flash?

OLDMONK
06-27-2007, 04:21 PM
using a flash is ok, just be careful if you wear glasses (you might need some retakes before you get it right). and turn on red eye removal. 3.2 mp for the size (2x2) of picture is good enough.. Even 1 mp is good enough if you are zooming in to take pictures. but if you are cropping a 1 mp picture to take out surroundings, its better to use 2mp plus camera.

When using a flash you get harsher shadows, to counter that have light source both from left right and top and do the picture in daytime with atleast some natural light. Remember stand atleast 2 feet away from the white background.

Flash results specially in home environment without proper lighting won't be good at nighttime unless you use multiple synchronised flash guns.

I guess the other persons remark regarding flash may be related to lighting / over exposures/ shadows. (make sure you wipe your face if you have oily skin - no kidding )

In the end if you really want to make your pictures look good and per specifications go to a portrait studio.

Green.Tech
06-27-2007, 04:36 PM
using a flash is ok, just be careful if you wear glasses (you might need some retakes before you get it right). and turn on red eye removal. 3.2 mp for the size (2x2) of picture is good enough.. Even 1 mp is good enough if you are zooming in to take pictures. but if you are cropping a 1 mp picture to take out surroundings, its better to use 2mp plus camera.

When using a flash you get harsher shadows, to counter that have light source both from left right and top and do the picture in daytime with atleast some natural light. Remember stand atleast 2 feet away from the white background.

Flash results specially in home environment without proper lighting won't be good at nighttime unless you use multiple synchronised flash guns.

I guess the other persons remark regarding flash may be related to lighting / over exposures/ shadows. (make sure you wipe your face if you have oily skin - no kidding )

In the end if you really want to make your pictures look good and per specifications go to a portrait studio.

Thanks Oldmonk for the detailed reply! I appreciate it.

priderock
06-27-2007, 05:38 PM
I am very surprised about the requests for cheap photos !!! What a pity.
We were ready to spend thousands of dollars just a month ago just to have the ability to apply for I485, but when you get a chance , try to save a few dollars and risk an RFE , delay in processing or even denial.

Walmart photos suck , so are CVS photos. I had them take my pictures in the past. Never used the walmart ones and CVS photos got rejected for visa revalidation. They used Polaroid camera at walmat and they were not good at all.

I took them at Macy's studio , costed me about $30 for 6 copies but they are great. Please choose a professional studio, $20 extra dollars are worth every penny.

Some one mentioned about saving $20 and have a dinner. I would rather have peace of mind knowing my pictures are good enough for USCIS than have a $20 dinner.

Just my 2 cents though. May be I am extra cautious because I got burned once :)

priderock
06-27-2007, 05:41 PM
I have taken mine and my wife's pic using digital camera, and took the card to the walmart. They have the software where you can set the passport size. 6 photos printout costed us 30 cents each. If you have digital camera take 640X480 photo with good light. This is the best option instead of going to walgreens which chargs 2 photos 8 dollars.

USCIS is very particular about the background , shadows and lighting. Unless you have a near professional lighting in your home , you are taking a risk. The flash light you use in camera creates a shadow on the subject and/or in the back ground. That is not acceptable. Unless you have a decent camera and you know what you are doing , it is very easy to over expose in close-up shots. Be very careful.

jgh_res
06-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Nice take on the situation.

We were ready to spend thousands of dollars just a month ago just to have the ability to apply for I485, but when you get a chance , try to save a few dollars and risk an RFE , delay in processing or even denial.

Walmart photos suck , so are CVS photos. I had them take my pictures in the past. Never used the walmart ones and CVS photos got rejected for visa revalidation. They used Polaroid camera at walmat and they were not good at all.

I took them at Macy's studio , costed me about $30 for 6 copies but they are great. Please choose a professional studio, $20 extra dollars are worth every penny.

Some one mentioned about saving $20 and have a dinner. I would rather have peace of mind knowing my pictures are good enough for USCIS than have a $20 dinner.

priderock
06-27-2007, 05:50 PM
By the way I took lots of photos in 2004 from Sears for Marriage proposals. Yeah I got marry last year because I sent Good quality photo to my in-law family. You see you get what you pay for..

Thanks

I am sure SEARS pictures are great.

Hope your in-laws are not disappointed when they saw you in person :) :).... No ... I am just kidding .......No offense meant :):).... I am sure they like you and that is why you are married happily now :) Just wanted to bring a lighter moment tho this stingy thread.

IneedAllGreen
06-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Yes my in-laws are fine and they were not disappointed seeing me in person. But I am gigling by looking at this thread is growing and at page 3 someone put a shame on this thread. As for me sometime its fun and Ok to share minor detail or personal detail to give confidence to someone doing same thing which we went thru(like I have beein using photos taken at Kinkos and Sears). Nevertheless since date is coming closer to file our 485 it makes me happy to see several smiley face and helping hands in IV forums. Glad to be helping others and ignore rants of others.

I am just here to share my thoughts and knowledge nothing personal to anyone. So to everyone Dont worry:( ! Be happy :) .

I am sure SEARS pictures are great.

Hope your in-laws are not disappointed when they saw you in person :) :).... No ... I am just kidding .......No offense meant :):).... I am sure they like you and that is why you are married happily now :) Just wanted to bring a lighter moment tho this stingy thread.

OLDMONK
06-27-2007, 06:31 PM

The issue for me is I have pictures from Picture People (a studio-upwards of $80) and a set of my Own. My own look better and are as per specs, but even then its just the thought of who do I blame when the pics get rejected. :-) so i am cool with the decision that the studio photos even though not perfect will be submitted as I can frickin blame someone in case of RFE.

gondalguru
06-27-2007, 08:56 PM
It is so easy

Take a good picture in good lighting with regular digital camera

Crop the picture to size as needed

Open it in photoshop -- make picture package - select 2x2 of 20 pics -- and save it.

Again crop it with the ratio or 4x6 selecting six pictures.

Now u have a picture which is 4x6 in size with total of six 2x2 pp size pics in it.

go to walmart - at kiosk print it... for 24 cents per copy

6 cents per picture

and again pics are of your liking ..

in between you can edit to remove shadows easily

enjoy

arnet
06-27-2007, 09:25 PM
posting this again....i always take pics in sears, good quality, always acceptable, cost $14.99 for 2 photos for first time and additional 2 photos at 7.99$. once photos printed, check background, quality and see whether it matches USCIS spec (including face size and photo size).

guyfromsg
06-28-2007, 12:37 AM
Since lot of people go to Costco for passport photos and the specs are similar I'm using them. Photos look good the place holder for the photos shows the specifications i.e. face size and you can place the photo next to it and verify.

gg10004
06-28-2007, 02:17 AM
Hi
In my earlier post, I dint mean to say that all Kinkos are bad, its just the particular one near me was not good enough. The photos were as if they were taken with a yellow filter on their lenses.
Sears did a very good job instead.
You can just tell them that you need photos for passport. They are the same requirements
Think it this way, your photo might be scanned by their machine to be printed on visa/notice. If the photo is not of good quality it might get pixelated after they scan.
So be your own judge, think if you were in USCIS shoes and had to scan a photo and produce it on visa/stamp. They might also use some image recognition softwares for which they require exact speicifications.

In my case the yellow tinge I got from kinkos exactly matches with the improper color on the website below. So i had to go for other option
http://travel.state.gov/passport/guide/quality/quality_875.html