PDA

View Full Version : Recommended template and messaging

sertasheep
07-04-2007, 11:31 AM
The following write-up appears here courtesy of ChanduV23, one of our members. This has been edited for content and messaging:

Thank you ChanduV23

- On behalf of the Core IV Team

I am a highly-skilled professional who entered this country legally. I’ve been waiting for my US permanent resident visa -also known as "Green Card" for the past several years along with 500,000 other educated, highly skilled employment based (EB) immigrants. Many of us have been waiting for our turn to get Green Cards for 5-10 years while consistently abiding by all the laws of this country. Such long delays are due to tortuous and confusing paper work, backlogs due to various quotas and processing delays at US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) and other allied state and federal agencies.

Several categories of EB immigrant visa (Green Card) numbers have been unavailable (“retrogressed”) since the fall of 2005. Because our immigrant petitions are tied to the sponsoring employer, these delays have led to indentured servitude for several of us. Our professional prospects, job mobility and potential opportunities for entrepreneurship have been compromised.

For the past several decades, the US Department of State (DOS) has been publishing advisories known as visa bulletins once a month to announce the availability of immigrant visa numbers. On June 13, 2007, after a gap of nearly two years, DOS announced that all EB visa numbers would be “current” for the month of July. This meant, irrespective of our “priority date” (date assigned to us for our turn in the line for Green Cards), all of us were made eligible to apply for some interim immigration benefits. This “priority date” refers to the date when our labor certification (documentation verifying no US citizen worker was available for a given job) had been filed.

Please note that 6/13 DOS announcement would not have led to immediate green card for most of us; but at least it would have ensured us interim benefits such as the right to travel and right to work- this was still a welcome change. Especially, for dependent spouses who have been otherwise unable to work, this would have translated into right to travel and work without restriction and thus channel their energies positively. Several dependent spouses are also highly-skilled. This would provide them an opportunity to realize their technical and entrepreneurial expression and add to tax dollars. Additionally, this would have greatly reduced the paperwork burden on our sponsoring US employers.

Tens of thousands of applicants spent thousands of dollars in legal fees, immigration medical exams & vaccinations & getting various supporting documents ready to file our immigrant petitions to USCIS, at times inconveniencing our old parents in our home countries as well. It has been an agonizing two weeks for us. Some of us to had to fly in our spouses from our home countries or have had to cut short business trips. To our shock and dismay, on the morning of July 2nd 2007, USCIS announced that EB visa numbers were not available and all petitions filed in July would be rejected.

For the legal skilled immigrants this has been a rather traumatizing and disheartening experience.

We sincerely seek immediate congressional/ legislative remedial measures which would
(1)Reduce the enormous backlogs of green card petitions of legal skilled immigrants
(2)Ensure and request USCIS not to reject our immigrant visa petitions filed in July and provide us interim benefits of a pending immigrant visa petition. We make this sincere request on this Independence Day with the hope that people who played by the rules will be rewarded.

dtekkedil
07-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Can we use this or portions of this text for our mails to the media on the "Send flowers Drive"?

I would suggest changing the last point as so -

(2)Ensure and request USCIS not to reject our immigrant visa petitions filed in July and provide us interim benefits of a pending immigrant visa petition. We make this sincere request on this Independence Day with the hope that people who played by the rules will not be punished.

It doesn't matter if we are not rewarded as long as we are not punished!

ramus
07-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Good job.

Not sure if we need correction on "TSeveral dependent spouses are also highly-skilled"

pappu
07-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Make sure to put your name, address and phone number in your mails. Only illegals are anonymous and can live in shadows. Legal immigrants need to feel proud of being legal in the country and following all the laws. Only then this campaign will work and give an opportunity for media and lawmakers to contact us.

sertasheep
07-05-2007, 05:04 PM
I WOULD LIKE TO REQUEST ALL MEMBERS TO UPDATE THEIR PROFILES WITH NAME, TELEPHONE NUMBER(MOST RELIABLE) AND EMAIL ADDRESSES ALONG WITH CURRENT GC STATUS AND CLASS OF ADMISSION

map_boiler
07-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks chanduv23! I used the template he provided this morning (with some editing) to email senators from my state of residence.

Guys, please use this template to email senators from your state.

Also, please contribute to IV. I just did today, and believe me, you will feel better for doing so...

This is not just for you and me, but also for those who will come after us. Also, this is not a battle just to sue USCIS/DOS, but a war we need to fight on multiple fronts:
1) First and foremost, we the immigrant community need to join hands and fight as one cohesive group.
2) Sue the government agencies for damages/violation of law/precedents due to the revised visa bulletin
3) Get this matter the attention it deserves in the media
4) Try and get congress to intervene in this matter, and also introduce and pass legislation that will fix the broken employment based immigration system
5) Request corporate sponsorship. Since employers spent money on this fiasco as well, they will have a vested interest in pursuing this as well.

The main thing, however, is funds. IV needs funds to fight for us. Each of us has already spent 100's (many even 1000's) of $ trying to get ready to file our I-485's. So even if 10,000 members contribute just $100 each, it will be $1 mil. I am sure each of us can at least spare that much. It is a small price to pay for liberation from this GC mess for all of us....

With ~15,000 members already, and hopefully some serious $$$$$$ raised, IV will be a force to be reckoned with. No one will be able to treat us with such utter disdain ever again...

amitjoey
07-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Use the template and email reporters.

gc_aspirant_prasad
07-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Emailed my congresssman , have already called my state and neighboring state senators.

jonty_11
07-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Emailed state and 20 others....
good format

abhijitp
07-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Use the template and email reporters.
Emailed about 200 media contacts using this template, slightly personalizing it.

ramus
07-05-2007, 09:56 PM
This thread is getting lost.. Lets keep this thread on top.

When you send this message please make sure you put your complete name, address, email and phone number at the bottom.. If you don't how come somebody can get in touch with us...

abhijitp
07-06-2007, 01:54 AM
This thread is getting lost.. Lets keep this thread on top.

When you send this message please make sure you put your complete name, address, email and phone number at the bottom.. If you don't how come somebody can get in touch with us...
I agree. This is one of the easiest things we can do right now. Yes, I mentioned by name, address (along with apartment number), phone number. I did not mention my email address, as it is visible in the "from" field of the email.

However, I was thinking about this approach later. I thought it would be MUCH more effective if we could get others to write to the media/ congressmen/ senators etc... including people who already have GCs and citizenships. The more people convey their resentment to this DOS/ USCIS decision, the more effective it is.

Also, we should preferably also write letters... not just emails.

Emails is a somewhat frowned upon medium, as it is easy to abuse. Also, it is easier to simply delete an email thinking of it as spam... that is, if the email is not already blocked/classified as "spam" by the recepient's email software. (e.g. My yahoo mailbox gets tens of spam emails everyday and they are moved automatically to the spam folder.) On the other hand, it is not equally easy to ignore 1000 "letters" on the subject (preferably signed personally, but even otherwise).

But how can we get others to write letters for us?

Obviously no one will do that... but what if, I "write up" an appeal into a word doc, and email it to my friends, relatives, and colleagues in the USA who are either in the same boat (but not part of IV), or already hold GCs, or are citizens. I would explain our situation very briefly in the email... maybe with 5 bullet points. I would request that if they think what happened is wrong, the they may please write their full name & address + phone num in the space provided in the word doc, and send the document back to me by email. I print these documents and package them up and "post" (snail mail) them to the congressmen/senators and the media.

I am not suggesting I would stop writing "emails to media contacts" (or calling up/ meeting our senators). This will be in addition to that effort.

Let me know if you guys think this approach is useful... and please... if you disagree... just take it easy... don't blast me for just sharing my thoughts.

Thanks!

lskreddy
07-06-2007, 09:59 AM
Hey, I just added this one line to the composed content and sent it to KXAN news Austin to a immigrant reporter who highlighted legal immigrant document woes (for Mexicans though) yesterday night. He replied quite promptly.

Added content:
Would you and your station be kind enough to highlight our plight? We may not be 12 million in numbers but we do contribute in dollars the same number on a daily basis

Reply from Matt Flener:
<snip>
Surendra,
Be assured I received your email and REALLY want to follow-up with you. I would love to highlight your story. I will try and give you a call this weekend, or Monday at the latest. Thank you for your email.
</snip>

If I do get a call this weekend, it would be nice to receive support from like-minded people in Austin. We could meet him at Coffee Shop or at my apartment. Alternatively, if he agress to interview via telephone, then I would love to include one from immigrationvoice core itself to highlight the woes more appropriately.

Let me know and by the way thanks for composing..

abhijitp
07-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Hey, I just added this one line to the composed content and sent it to KXAN news Austin to a immigrant reporter who highlighted legal immigrant document woes (for Mexicans though) yesterday night. He replied quite promptly.

Added content:
Would you and your station be kind enough to highlight our plight? We may not be 12 million in numbers but we do contribute in dollars the same number on a daily basis

Reply from Matt Flener:
<snip>
Surendra,
Be assured I received your email and REALLY want to follow-up with you. I would love to highlight your story. I will try and give you a call this weekend, or Monday at the latest. Thank you for your email.
</snip>

If I do get a call this weekend, it would be nice to receive support from like-minded people in Austin. We could meet him at Coffee Shop or at my apartment. Alternatively, if he agress to interview via telephone, then I would love to include one from immigrationvoice core itself to highlight the woes more appropriately.

Let me know and by the way thanks for composing..

Great job friend! Thanks!

chanduy9
07-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Hi,

Add flower day JULY 10TH also to your e-mails, we may get good atten from the media.

Guys please send the flowers...I know we dont have very good publicity like others...we need to find the way to get the media atten. One reporter might be intrested in our news not evry one, to get evey body atten we need to do it in samrt and in different way..guys bunch of people are thinking the flower day is good, other think it is not, we have this problem from ages.

If one send flowers or e-mail it is not news..if every body joins it is gonna be a greate news.

join the flower drive.

just my idea.

Thanks,
Chandra.

ramus
07-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Please don't post flower releated posts on this thread. We already have 3 threads going on for flowers.. This is strickly for template.

Also IV core doesn't take any position on flower sending..

Thanks.
__________________________________________________ ______

Hi,

Add flower day JULY 10TH also to your e-mails, we may get good atten from the media.

Guys please send the flowers...I know we dont have very good publicity like others...we need to find the way to get the media atten. One reporter might be intrested in our news not evry one, to get evey body atten we need to do it in samrt and in different way..guys bunch of people are thinking the flower day is good, other think it is not, we have this problem from ages.

If one send flowers or e-mail it is not news..if every body joins it is gonna be a greate news.

join the flower drive.

just my idea.

Thanks,
Chandra.

sve0390
07-06-2007, 07:51 PM
The following write-up appears here courtesy of ChanduV23, one of our members. This has been edited for content and messaging:

Thank you ChanduV23

- On behalf of the Core IV Team

I am a highly-skilled professional who entered this country legally. I’ve been waiting for my US permanent resident visa -also known as "Green Card" for the past several years along with 500,000 other educated, highly skilled employment based (EB) immigrants. Many of us have been waiting for our turn to get Green Cards for 5-10 years while consistently abiding by all the laws of this country. Such long delays are due to tortuous and confusing paper work, backlogs due to various quotas and processing delays at US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) and other allied state and federal agencies.

Several categories of EB immigrant visa (Green Card) numbers have been unavailable (“retrogressed”) since the fall of 2005. Because our immigrant petitions are tied to the sponsoring employer, these delays have led to indentured servitude for several of us. Our professional prospects, job mobility and potential opportunities for entrepreneurship have been compromised.

For the past several decades, the US Department of State (DOS) has been publishing advisories known as visa bulletins once a month to announce the availability of immigrant visa numbers. On June 13, 2007, after a gap of nearly two years, DOS announced that all EB visa numbers would be “current” for the month of July. This meant, irrespective of our “priority date” (date assigned to us for our turn in the line for Green Cards), all of us were made eligible to apply for some interim immigration benefits. This “priority date” refers to the date when our labor certification (documentation verifying no US citizen worker was available for a given job) had been filed.

Please note that 6/13 DOS announcement would not have led to immediate green card for most of us; but at least it would have ensured us interim benefits such as the right to travel and right to work- this was still a welcome change. Especially, for dependent spouses who have been otherwise unable to work, this would have translated into right to travel and work without restriction and thus channel their energies positively. Several dependent spouses are also highly-skilled. This would provide them an opportunity to realize their technical and entrepreneurial expression and add to tax dollars. Additionally, this would have greatly reduced the paperwork burden on our sponsoring US employers.

Tens of thousands of applicants spent thousands of dollars in legal fees, immigration medical exams & vaccinations & getting various supporting documents ready to file our immigrant petitions to USCIS, at times inconveniencing our old parents in our home countries as well. It has been an agonizing two weeks for us. Some of us to had to fly in our spouses from our home countries or have had to cut short business trips. To our shock and dismay, on the morning of July 2nd 2007, USCIS announced that EB visa numbers were not available and all petitions filed in July would be rejected.

For the legal skilled immigrants this has been a rather traumatizing and disheartening experience.

We sincerely seek immediate congressional/ legislative remedial measures which would
(1)Reduce the enormous backlogs of green card petitions of legal skilled immigrants
(2)Ensure and request USCIS not to reject our immigrant visa petitions filed in July and provide us interim benefits of a pending immigrant visa petition. We make this sincere request on this Independence Day with the hope that people who played by the rules will be rewarded.

I was wondering if we can use this template and your press release ( http://www.prlog.org/10022648-no-celebration-for-thousands-of-highly-skilled-future-americans-this-july-4th.pdf) to let our local news media know. Thanks