PDA

View Full Version : Dual Citizen

amicable
07-05-2007, 07:45 AM
I am canadian citizen and recently got married to a US citizen. I applied for my I-485 on June 14th, I got receipt on June 26th and got another letter on July 3rd, going for my finger print next week of this month. My question is ...Do I have to give up my canadian citizen or can I become a dual citizen? What is the procedure for that? How long it will take to process my Green Card after my fingerprint? TIA.

asdcrajnet
07-05-2007, 08:04 AM
You are just getting a Green Card now. You will be able to apply for citizenship only after 4.5 years....

Both US & Canada allow dual citizenship..

So you can retain both

ChainReaction
07-05-2007, 08:13 AM
You are just getting a Green Card now. You will be able to apply for citizenship only after 4.5 years....

Both US & Canada allow dual citizenship..

So you can retain both

IF you are married to US citizen ONE can apply for US citizenship after 3yrs , on the contrary they might approve it is 4.5 yrs :D :D

gc_check
07-05-2007, 08:15 AM
I am canadian citizen and recently got married to a US citizen. I applied for my I-485 on June 14th, I got receipt on June 26th and got another letter on July 3rd, going for my finger print next week of this month. My question is ...Do I have to give up my canadian citizen or can I become a dual citizen? What is the procedure for that? How long it will take to process my Green Card after my fingerprint? TIA.

Since you are getting GC, thorugh US Citizen, Spouse your I485 will be processed much faster, compared to other categories. You will be given a conditonal green card, for 2 years, after 2 years you will have another interview and have to prove you are still married and you will get a permanent/unconditional green card. Also you will be able to apply for US Citizen Ship after 3 years of GC, unlike 5 years for others as you are married to a US Citizen. The usual process for green card, in around 6-8 months.

brb2
07-05-2007, 09:44 AM
I would recommend that you file a new immigration petition as spouse of US citizen which is not capped, rather than waiting for your current capped 485s which are any way "unavailable" until October. You can also get an unrestricted EAD card through the former route.

amicable
07-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Could you please explain me in detail about conditional green card? TIA.

Since you are getting GC, thorugh US Citizen, Spouse your I485 will be processed much faster, compared to other categories. You will be given a conditonal green card, for 2 years, after 2 years you will have another interview and have to prove you are still married and you will get a permanent/unconditional green card. Also you will be able to apply for US Citizen Ship after 3 years of GC, unlike 5 years for others as you are married to a US Citizen. The usual process for green card, in around 6-8 months.