11-10-2009, 05:57 PM
a

kaarmaa
11-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Expected.

Lets start predicting for Jan 2010.

pointlesswait
11-10-2009, 06:02 PM
as expected....but good signs for eb3...

Visa Bulletin for December 2009 (http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_4587.html)

EB3-I moved from 22APR01 to 01MAY01. rest all look the same.

h1techSlave
11-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Looking at the numbers, it is clear that there is no quarterly spill over.

But EB3-I moved by a whopping 8 days. ya hoo....

McLuvin
11-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Kudos !!!

Dude I was waiting to see who the restless soul would be !!!

hydboy77
11-10-2009, 06:05 PM
so it is confirmed, DOS\USCIS have not done quarterly spillover.

krishmunn
11-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Looking at the numbers, it is clear that there is no quarterly spill over.

But EB3-I moved by a whopping 8 days. ya hoo....

Not necessarily. If there is quarterly spill over, it will reflect in new quarter -- January.

amitga
11-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Visa Bulletin for December 2009 (http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_4587.html)

EB3-I moved from 22APR01 to 01MAY01. rest all look the same.

How did you get this Bulletin. Its not on the main bulletin page.

kartikiran
11-10-2009, 06:11 PM
again...it does not matter whether you are EB3 or EB2...whether they follow quarterly spillover or not...nothing matters. The fact is we are screwed, unless recapture happens.

The backlog is so huge that, little relief like spillover is not going to help the EB2 or EB3 brethren. For EB2s who are very positive, there are some huge numbers in March 2005 and what we are aware is only a partial list.

So keep predicting if you want to play this game. It sure would be good way to pass time as there is no end to this visa bulletin prediction game.

ch102
11-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Why EB3 Row did not move forward ? I think there are only 3000 pending applications (from the backlog graph )and quarterly allocation is more than 3000....

WeldonSprings
11-10-2009, 06:22 PM
I always thought that Quarterly spillover will happen after the last month of the quarter. By that I mean if there are unused visas from Oct. 2009- Dec. 2009, then that should be evident in Feb. 2010 bulletin, because only on Dec. 31 they will come to know how many were unused and by Jan. 09, 2010, when they come up with the Feb. 2010 bulletin, then the quarterly spillover number will move the dates forward. My 2 cents...

so it is confirmed, DOS\USCIS have not done quarterly spillover.

sriramkalyan
11-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Employ America Act

November 10, 2009 - Senators Sanders (D-VT) and Grassley (R-Iowa) have drafted the Employ America Act. The bill would prohibit the Department of Homeland Security from approving any employment visa filed by an employer that has, within the preceding twelve (12) months, provided a mass layoff notice pursuant to the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN Act). The bill would also require the employer to terminate any existing foreign workers who obtained work visas during the preceding twelve (12) months.

Lets all move to Canada en mass ..we may get a good deal with Canadian Govt!! Huge amount of Dollars & Skills ..

kondur_007
11-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Not necessarily. If there is quarterly spill over, it will reflect in new quarter -- January.

So you are still hopeful that USCIS/DOS will work four times a year (instead of once a year) just for our convenience???

Unless someone chokes their necks, quarterly spill over will never occur. I am sorry to say this and I am not being passimistic; just the reality...:(

smitin_2000
11-10-2009, 06:28 PM
another routine visa bulletin for EB3-I with very narrow movement, we need CIR with good reforms for EB community, otherwise this is endless game. :(

LONGGCQUE
11-10-2009, 06:40 PM
On expected lines :-)

WeldonSprings
11-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Also, with Unemployment hovering at 10.2%; don't you think it will cause mayhem in public, if visa bulletin moves significantly ahead due to quarterly spillover. Dates will move ahead but not until February...atleast!

I always thought that Quarterly spillover will happen after the last month of the quarter. By that I mean if there are unused visas from Oct. 2009- Dec. 2009, then that should be evident in Feb. 2010 bulletin, because only on Dec. 31 they will come to know how many were unused and by Jan. 09, 2010, when they come up with the Feb. 2010 bulletin, then the quarterly spillover number will move the dates forward. My 2 cents...

rb_248
11-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Employ America Act

November 10, 2009 - Senators Sanders (D-VT) and Grassley (R-Iowa) have drafted the Employ America Act. The bill would prohibit the Department of Homeland Security from approving any employment visa filed by an employer that has, within the preceding twelve (12) months, provided a mass layoff notice pursuant to the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN Act). The bill would also require the employer to terminate any existing foreign workers who obtained work visas during the preceding twelve (12) months.

Lets all move to Canada en mass ..we may get a good deal with Canadian Govt!! Huge amount of Dollars & Skills ..

Oh boy!! this is not sweet news for for students especially.

kumar1
11-10-2009, 07:02 PM
God Bless July-2007 Fukesh.

nrk
11-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Disappointing Bulletin

485Mbe4001
11-10-2009, 07:33 PM
wow..all major companies have had layoffs does it mean they should remove everyone on H1...i doubt this will pass, its probably posturing for CIR...while they are at it they can just pass a bill to remove all foriegn born residents, GC or otherwise... :mad:

Employ America Act

vbkris77
11-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Who is going to be effected? I read some posting and I think it prohibits from any new hiring some one on h1 on and after feb, 2009 and before feb 2011. I have been employed by my company from path 5 years. I currently have both EAD and H1B VISA. How it is going to effect me?

All those FTE jobs (Non consulting jobs) will be in soup with this. There was no major US company that didn't lay people off in last one year.

Simple rule, These senators doesn't think US needs any more immigrants. Be it skilled, nobel prize winners, Army veterans whom so ever. They just want to get re-elected for talking this crap. Nothing more than that.

485Mbe4001
11-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Think again... simple example would be MSFT (5000+)...even google had layoff last year

QUOTE=vbkris77;1127189]All those FTE jobs (Non consulting jobs) will be in soup with this. There was no major US company that didn't lay people off in last one year.

Simple rule, These senators doesn't think US needs any more immigrants. Be it skilled, nobel prize winners, Army veterans whom so ever. They just want to get re-elected for talking this crap. Nothing more than that.[/QUOTE]

sandy_anand
11-10-2009, 07:48 PM
This bill will never pass IMHO...just that the good senators are getting ready for upcoming CIR fight to show their constituents how tough they are on skilled immigration.

belmontboy
11-10-2009, 08:15 PM
This bill will never pass IMHO...just that the good senators are getting ready for upcoming CIR fight to show their constituents how tough they are on skilled immigration.

As a standalone entity this bill will not go far.
However, they might try to sneak this with some other major bill - ex: healthcare..

dummgelauft
11-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Who is going to be effected? I read some posting and I think it prohibits from any new hiring some one on h1 on and after feb, 2009 and before feb 2011. I have been employed by my company from path 5 years. I currently have both EAD and H1B VISA. How it is going to effect me?

"affected" not "effected"

sandy_anand
11-10-2009, 09:12 PM
As a standalone entity this bill will not go far.
However, they might try to sneak this with some other major bill - ex: healthcare..

I agree...that's a distinct possibility.

kaarmaa
11-10-2009, 11:38 PM

"affected" not "effected"

There are more than one mistake in what I wrote. I am not trying to proving my writing skill any body. This is just a forum. U can laugh with people. Not laugh at people. It is time to grow up. If you loose your character u loose every thing. I do not need to defent myself.

defend not defent

You made my day!!
j/k... Take it easy :cool:

dummgelauft
11-11-2009, 02:16 AM
There are more than one mistake in what I wrote. I am not trying to proving my writing skill any body. This is just a forum. U can laugh with people. Not laugh at people. It is time to grow up. If you loose your character u loose every thing. I do not need to defent myself.

You just did what you said you don't have to.
Its okay, stress does funny things to people..:-|

alterego
11-11-2009, 02:39 AM
Very disappointing to those in retrogressionland. Hopeful for those current who have been delayed. No Q1 spillover yet clearly. I agree that waiting until Jan. bulletin is not a bad idea.

However, I am vitually certain that with the current economy, and EB1 and EB2ROW current for the past few years, there should be some numbers expected to flow down to EB2I/C. If they do not, then that is not what is in the law according to my basic reading. IV core may want to bring that up with Admin. officials in their meetings. It is something that I feel needs to be discussed with a Lawyer, and could potentially be challenged in the interest of fairness.

If the economy picks up dramatically next year and hiring picks up(less likely but not impossible), we could see visas that should have spilled over quarterly, stay and get used at higher levels later in the fiscal year for applicants with wait times of just a few months. I do not think that would be the intent of the law. Clearing backlogs is a long fight, but some administrative steps/efficient processing/transparency would be very helpful in the near term. And for those naysayers who feel this is only an EB2I/C solution. Understand that the closer the EB2I/C backlog is to being cleared, the closer you are to spillover. It is your battle as well. Everyone knows visa recapture is the best solution, but CIR (to which it is umbilical corded) is a great unknown in this political environment and economy.

ndswaiting
11-11-2009, 02:43 AM
I can definitely see the need for one if the POS Act below gets passed.:rolleyes:

Employ America Act

Devils_Advocate
11-11-2009, 03:15 AM
Employ America Act

This will/can NEVER pass the senate, Sanders and Grassley have been smoking too much bad Grass rolled by Numbersusa ;)

Unlike the TARP firms who were under direct control of the Govt, USA Inc is not, and they wont allow this to happen.

pitha
11-11-2009, 11:13 AM
The whole idea of spillover is it should happen before the end of the year (september) or before the end of the each quarter(i.e december, march, june, september). It does not make sense to expect spillover to happen in January because you are already in the next quarter, just like you cannot expect spillover to happen in october because you are already in the next year.

anyway the way dos\uscis is using the country quota limits are an excuse not to work on eb2 India\china cases, the law clearly gives provisions for quarterly spillover and yet DOS is not following the law. If quarterly spillover does not happen I would not be surprised if we dont have any spillover or at best might have 2 or 3 thousand spillover visas and here is the reason, if DOS follows the law and does quarterly spillover, then according to the pending 485 report published by uscis eb2 India\China should get atleast 10000 spillover visas every quarter but if DOS does not do any quarterly spillover then as the economy picks up the eb1 usage will pick up (remember eb1 does not need any labor they directly apply for 485 and with premium processing i140 is approved in 2 weeks) and DOL is sitting on 65k perm application. dol is a fickle minded freak, you never know how they behave, I wont be surprised if the fickle minded dol approves a 20 to 30k of perm they have been sitting on for a few years in the name of process improvements and time reductions. if this happens you will end up in a sitaution where eb2 india china will sit on a surplus of 10,000 visas per quarter which DOS does not spillover every quarter and in the the fourth quarter eb1 and eb2 ROW might suddenly eat up all the surplus visas and there wont be any spillover at all. It is to prevent scenarios like this that the law allows for quarterly spillover. but mighty uscis and dos as usual think they are above the law. obviously dos\uscis will cook up some cock and bull story to justify themselves just like they did to justify the july 2007 fiasco, the qustion is will IV stand by and allow them to do that. I clearly understand that IV is a voluntary organization and by no means am I demanding IV drop everything they are doing and go fight for quarterly visa spillover but seems like IV is least bit intrested in quarterly spillover. Not sure why IV is silent maybe it strategic and they are working behind the scenes for quarterly spillover but unless IV asks for quarterly spillover, DOS \USCIS will not do it.

Very disappointing to those in retrogressionland. Hopeful for those current who have been delayed. No Q1 spillover yet clearly. I agree that waiting until Jan. bulletin is not a bad idea.

However, I am vitually certain that with the current economy, and EB1 and EB2ROW current for the past few years, there should be some numbers expected to flow down to EB2I/C. If they do not, then that is not what is in the law according to my basic reading. IV core may want to bring that up with Admin. officials in their meetings. It is something that I feel needs to be discussed with a Lawyer, and could potentially be challenged in the interest of fairness.

If the economy picks up dramatically next year and hiring picks up(less likely but not impossible), we could see visas that should have spilled over quarterly, stay and get used at higher levels later in the fiscal year for applicants with wait times of just a few months. I do not think that would be the intent of the law. Clearing backlogs is a long fight, but some administrative steps/efficient processing/transparency would be very helpful in the near term. And for those naysayers who feel this is only an EB2I/C solution. Understand that the closer the EB2I/C backlog is to being cleared, the closer you are to spillover. It is your battle as well. Everyone knows visa recapture is the best solution, but CIR (to which it is umbilical corded) is a great unknown in this political environment and economy.

breddy2000
11-11-2009, 11:27 AM
The whole idea of spillover is it should happen before the end of the year (september) or before the end of the each quarter(i.e december, march, june, september). It does not make sense to expect spillover to happen in January because you are already in the next quarter, just like you cannot expect spillover to happen in october because you are already in the next year.

I think we need to wait until next bulletin to see if spill over is happening or not.

Based on the wording of the Law , seems like spillover will happen only after knowing the numbers used up in a quarter. How can USCIS make a judgement as to how many visas are unused in a quarter without actually counting how many are used in a quarter.

(A) EMPLOYMENT-BASED IMMIGRANTS NOT SUBJECT TO PER COUNTRY LIMITATION IF ADDITIONAL VISAS AVAILABLE- If the total number of visas available under paragraph (1), (2), (3), (4), or (5) of section 203(b) for a calendar quarter exceeds the number of qualified immigrants who may otherwise be issued such visas, the visas made available under that paragraph shall be issued without regard to the numerical limitation under paragraph (2) of this subsection during the remainder of the calendar quarter.

Does this make sense?

sriramkalyan
11-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Oh boy!! this is not sweet news for for students especially.

i dont know why Indian students are coming to USA. There is no point. Canada/Australia/Europe have best universities and decent immigration policies. Indian banks should stop funding this craziness to US. Its like dumping youth into quick Sand.

gcisadawg
11-11-2009, 11:31 AM
I did not try to defend whether "effected" or not. If you are interested please do research by urself and figure out who is correct. I simply mean that I do not need to care about typing mistakes or grammatical mistake while I engage in discussion with others in this forum. Again please grow up.

Typing mistakes are OK as long as it is not altering the meaning. If it alters the meaning, we will not be able to read your thoughts correctly and there is scope for misunderstanding.

sriramkalyan
11-11-2009, 11:34 AM

This is just slowly tightening screws on Legals. Come to US, pay dollars, take degree & get lost. Thats the policy. So do you have any back plan ..? if you are new to US.. get a job in Canada or may be join school there and move. Linkedin can help you!!
University of Toronto,
Waterloo university
University of British Columbia
are highly ranked.

Most of the big US companies have Development centers there. You can mention it during interview, that u want to work from CANADA !! or may be Sydney

sriramkalyan
11-11-2009, 11:57 AM
This will/can NEVER pass the senate, Sanders and Grassley have been smoking too much bad Grass rolled by Numbersusa ;)

Unlike the TARP firms who were under direct control of the Govt, USA Inc is not, and they wont allow this to happen.

This will sure go in as an amendment to any bill which in congress now. US politicians are worried on 2010 elections. Its Jobs jobs jobs. Democrats lost in NJ/VA.

And i am praying this amendment gets passed. Then we all stop day dreaming on settling in USA. take concrete steps. Also this will help world wide students to make better decision and avoid US.

All these analysis of Spill over doesnt mean anything. Right now there is no hope of any new Visas( Temp/Perm) till 2012 ( When Mayan calendar ends).

go_guy123
11-11-2009, 12:11 PM
i dont know why Indian students are coming to USA. There is no point. Canada/Australia/Europe have best universities and decent immigration policies. Indian banks should stop funding this craziness to US. Its like dumping youth into quick Sand.

Well said...a lot of people coming from India look at people who moved to USA in the 90s and think that the doors are open. Reality comes as rude shock. When I was applying for MBA around 2.5 - 3 years back, I had MBA pursuing friends who chose US schools over Canada/UK etc. Having burnt badly before, I made it a point to apply anywhere but USA.

One friend who went to MBA at Rochester,NY and declined Torornto, had to change to a cheaper school to cut the losses once the reality started staring him at the face. Even in Harvard international students are struggling with the H1B requirement.

Even my cousin who applied fro GC in 2006...has no clue..and was telling me that he would get in GC in about 4 years. Other than coding behind a computer screen they know nothing about the GC process.

chi_shark
11-11-2009, 12:30 PM
regardless of your statements here in the post i am quoting: it is true that poorly written english confuses the reader who does not assume meanings of words that the writer assumed. this is especially true when a writer is from one locale and the reader from another. for example, at times, my indian family tells my kids to "speak slowly" when they really mean "speak softly". There are many such hinglish things that totally change the meaning of the written/spoken word. I am spending my time writing this because there are many words people write on this forum specifically that are really hard to read for a person who is not from the same locale as the writer. I wish (perhaps like the other reader who pointed out your mistake in the first place) that every writer on this forum was aware of this.

pitha
11-11-2009, 12:35 PM
it is very clear, if there are more visas than applicants from ROW in a given calendar quarter then the excess visas can be given to oversubscribed countries without quota limits in that calendar quarter. The current calendar quarter runs from October 1 to december 31, so all the excess visas for this quarter can be used within this quarter, you dont have to wait until dec 31 to find the excess visas to use it in the next calendar quarter (jan 1 to march 31).

From the USCIS published report there were 4050 pending eb1 (all countries including row and india china etc) and 7150 pending eb2 row as of august 23 2009. assuming there were 1000 more eb1 485 and 2000 more eb2 row 485 recieved since august 23 2009,the total would be 4050+1000+7150+2000=14200. Eb1 and eb2 each recieve approximately 13000 visas each quarter therefore there are 26000 visas available for the current calendar quarter but only 14200 applicants, therefore the remaining 12000 visas should be given to eb2 india and china to be used up for the calendar quarter ending on December 31. DOS and USCIS did not to follow the law.

we will end up in a situation where each quarter about 10000 to 15000 visas will be available for eb2 india and China if quarterly spillover is done but with uscis and dos not doing quarterly spillover we have wait until september 2010 for spillover but by then as the economy improves eb1 and 65k pending perm from DOL would be approved and all the surplus might be used up. we will end up in a situation where we are sitting on a surplus for the first 3 quarters and all that surplus will be getting used up in the fourth quarter by eb1 and eb2 row. if this happens we will not have any spillover at all or we might get 2000 to 3000 in spillover if we are lucky in september. unless we fight for quarterly spillover there will not be any movement forward for eb2 india.

I think we need to wait until next bulletin to see if spill over is happening or not.

Based on the wording of the Law , seems like spillover will happen only after knowing the numbers used up in a quarter. How can USCIS make a judgement as to how many visas are unused in a quarter without actually counting how many are used in a quarter.

(A) EMPLOYMENT-BASED IMMIGRANTS NOT SUBJECT TO PER COUNTRY LIMITATION IF ADDITIONAL VISAS AVAILABLE- If the total number of visas available under paragraph (1), (2), (3), (4), or (5) of section 203(b) for a calendar quarter exceeds the number of qualified immigrants who may otherwise be issued such visas, the visas made available under that paragraph shall be issued without regard to the numerical limitation under paragraph (2) of this subsection during the remainder of the calendar quarter.

Does this make sense?

sriramkalyan
11-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Well said...a lot of people coming from India look at people who moved to USA in the 90s and think that the doors are open. Reality comes as rude shock. When I was applying for MBA around 2.5 - 3 years back, I had MBA pursuing friends who chose US schools over Canada/UK etc. Having burnt badly before, I made it a point to apply anywhere but USA.

So you are working in Canada!! Good Job!! How is Innovation and new Tech companies scenario in Canada ?

Are there any specific policies from Govt to encourage that !!?

dummgelauft
11-11-2009, 12:54 PM

I suggest that you lead by example.

go_guy123
11-11-2009, 12:57 PM
So you are working in Canada!! Good Job!! How is Innovation and new Tech companies scenario in Canada ?

Are there any specific policies from Govt to encourage that !!?

Innovation and new Tech companies...wise Canada lags a lot. Canada is a commodity driven economy.

Govt is trying though to encourage Tech companies in Canada with tax credits etc. But no great results.
RIM is one example (or say exception) where Govt helped in the set up and it became successful.

A high level cause of this problem is the resource curse (not as bad as middle east and Africa but on a lesser scale)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_curse

dummgelauft
11-11-2009, 12:58 PM

One friend who went to MBA at Rochester,NY and declined Torornto, had to change to a cheaper school to cut the losses once the reality started staring him at the face. Even in Harvard international students are struggling with the H1B requirement.

Even my cousin who applied fro GC in 2006...has no clue..and was telling me that he would get in GC in about 4 years. Other than coding behind a computer screen they know nothing about the GC process.

WHat up go_guy123. I was looking fwd. to see your take on the "Employ America Act" Draft..

go_guy123
11-11-2009, 01:04 PM
WHat up go_guy123. I was looking fwd. to see your take on the "Employ America Act" Draft..

You mean the H1B ban for TARP payment companies. I think it was passed with the stimulus bill.
A lot the healthy banks are repaying TARP and will be out of that.

Moreover a lot of the bank hire their H1B tech staff through middle men (aka body shoppers like TCS etc ) so it wont have
major impact. Sen Grassley et al get their their publicity and Banks are not that affected. So the banks didst complain much.

Of course if Sen Grassley had made a bill banning H1B from working at client site then they would have come out with their
full force and fury.

PS: I will be joining my new job from next week and wont be online that much. Till then browsing net

sriramkalyan
11-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Innovation and new Tech companies...wise Canada lags a lot. Canada is a commodity driven economy.

Govt is trying though to encourage Tech companies in Canada with tax credits etc. But no great results.
RIM is one example (or say exception) where Govt helped in the set up and it became successful.

I did apply for RIM. They got good benefits. Tried to reach out to some RIM employees and HR. Haven't succeeded yet. In Mobile development groups i dont see many from Canada.
I see lot of jobs in Financial sector like TD, CANADA BANK, Morgan Stanley around Toronto. Calgary got jobs but Alberta, i heard it has pretty nasty weather.

Other thing i noticed is, Canadians are not that aggressive in quick hiring. US companies are quick on identifying potential employees.

sriramkalyan
11-11-2009, 01:19 PM
I suggest that you lead by example.

Hoo yes .. I am trying my best!! Hoping to get jackpot in Toronto. Identified some good companies. Working on it!!

go_guy123
11-11-2009, 01:23 PM
I did apply for RIM. They got good benefits. Tried to reach out to some RIM employees and HR. Haven't succeeded yet. In Mobile development groups i dont see many from Canada.
I see lot of jobs in Financial sector like TD, CANADA BANK, Morgan Stanley around Toronto. Calgary got jobs but Alberta, i heard it has pretty nasty weather.

Other thing i noticed is, Canadians are not that aggressive in quick hiring. US companies are quick on identifying potential employees.

have you looked at MSFT Vancouver as well.

Yes hiring is slow..1 month process. even if the 1st candidate is suitable they will do a beauty contest style interview of more candidates and then choose.

Job market is competitive unlike USA and so employers can take their own time like it used to be in India in the early 90s and 80s

On the whole IT services sector is the area when Indians and Chinese have been able to get good employment. But I never said Canada job market is great. But its better than the H1B headache.

H1bslave
11-11-2009, 01:28 PM
May be this line was there before but I never noticed it, may be something cooking??

Upcoming month's visa bulletin: January 2010 (coming soon)

This month's visa bulletin: December 2009

Archived visa bulletins: November 2009 and before

Visa Bulletin (http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html)

sriramkalyan
11-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Actually i screwed up Interview with Amazon.com/Google. They were ready to move me to Canada development site. These companies want the candidate to know DB/UNIX/NETWORKING/Coding. Google killed me on Sorting/ Amazon killed me on DB Performance tuning. MSFT i dont have leads.

go_guy123
11-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Actually i screwed up Interview with Amazon.com/Google. They were ready to move me to Canada development site. These companies want the candidate to know DB/UNIX/NETWORKING/Coding. Google killed me on Sorting/ Amazon killed me on DB Performance tuning. MSFT i dont have leads.

If you have permanent residency/Citizenship of Canada then it is easier to look for contract and convert it to perm later.

dummgelauft
11-11-2009, 01:46 PM
You mean the H1B ban for TARP payment companies. I think it was passed with the stimulus bill.
A lot the healthy banks are repaying TARP and will be out of that.

Moreover a lot of the bank hire their H1B tech staff through middle men (aka body shoppers like TCS etc ) so it wont have
major impact. Sen Grassley et al get their their publicity and Banks are not that affected. So the banks didst complain much.

Of course if Sen Grassley had made a bill banning H1B from working at client site then they would have come out with their
full force and fury.

PS: I will be joining my new job from next week and wont be online that much. Till then browsing net

This is still draft....
Employ America Act

PavanV
11-11-2009, 01:56 PM
The visa bulleting feature sucks, its like playing a lottery with your life. I have been in this country for past 8+ years now, applied for PERM in july of this year, I don't see myself getting a green card in the next year. I thought about Canada/Australia/Europe, to me India seems like a better destination compared to others. With the economy coming back to life and preparing for a greater fall within the foreseeable future, I really don't think US is the destination for a happier life, in my 8+ years here, the only years i had fun were during my masters, its been a long slide from there onwards, life, liberty and happiness is not i experienced, i experienced, immigration and denial, in spite of all these hardships, I like USA and would like to settle here, but as times get tougher, I would have to be moving out in order to experience life. Sorry, but this is what i guess pretty much everybody on this forum experiences.

go_guy123
11-11-2009, 01:57 PM
This is still draft....
Employ America Act

Pure publicity stunt by Grassley. No chance on its own.....But they typically get attached to other bills.

Say if they table CIR these bills will be attached to the bill to act as poison pills
and eventually Tech industry will lobby against the CIR and it will come crashing down.

That is why I always say CIR has absolutely zero (0) chance in Congress. It is one giant elephant which will be hunted down by 450+ lawmakers in Congress.
...even Greg Siskind...IV board member said that.

Piecemeal is the only way but Hispanic caucus will never allow that.
I see 2 possibilities:

1) Hispanic lobby gives up on CIR and goes for piecemeal Dream act etc

2) Democratic party loses power in 2010 thereby weakening the Hispanic lobby.

I see 2) more likely in the future. On the whole democratic party is a dis-united party and that will weaken them.

Imigrait
11-11-2009, 03:32 PM

You're right. Most good MBAs cost 80+K in tuition alone and most of them do not offer any financial assistance. The Risks outweigh the benefits for anyone who is coming directly from India and need H1B to work in the USA after graduation without any $ savings.

IMO, it's still fine to come here for an MS or Phd, because there are good chances of finding assistanship to pay the tuition.

go_guy123
11-11-2009, 03:45 PM
You're right. Most good MBAs cost 80+K in tuition alone and most of them do not offer any financial assistance. The Risks outweigh the benefits for anyone who is coming directly from India and need H1B to work in the USA after graduation without any $ savings.

IMO, it's still fine to come here for an MS or Phd, because there are good chances of finding assistanship to pay the tuition.

PhD I do agree but MS in US makes no sense. Why waste 2 years on MS when it is not valued in Indian job market ( I know this first hand). India has an MBA obsessed
corporate culture (way more than US). If you need to make a career in India i would suggest MBA focus from the get go. In fact I say you can even do
a low priced MBA from US School (eg U of Houston and other Texas State Universities) and still you get value when you go back in India.
Not as much as IIMs but still better off than MS in US. On the whole one should try MBA from non US country. My MBA class had lots of US experience
(H!b) people who burnt their fingers there and learned their lesson.

Going back to India after MS and even with a couple of years of work experience , you will be highly frustrated seeing a guy from a D-grade Business school in India gets all the preference for proportion when he/she is an empty head.

Imigrait
11-11-2009, 04:01 PM
PhD I do agree but MS in US makes no sense. Why waste 2 years on MS when it is not valued in Indian job market ( I know this first hand). India has an MBA obsessed
corporate culture (way more than US). If you need to make a career in India i would suggest MBA focus from the get go. In fact I say you can do a low priced MBA from US School (eg U of Houston and other Texas State Universities) and still you get value back in India. Not as much as IIMs but still better off than MS in US.

Going back to India after MS and even with a couple of years of work experience , you will be highly frustrated seeing a guy from a D-grade Business school in India gets all the preference for proportion when he/she is an empty head.

You're probably right. I am not quite familiar with the job situation in India now(been in the US for the last 11 years). What you say makes sense because I read in Business week that half of the total # of Asian MBA students to the US are from India, so definitely there must be a reason for so many Indian students apply for MBA in the US. Also, I was noticing that a couple of good MBA schools have special MBA programs for Indian students(I think one was a Canadian school). Also, schools make a special marketing push in India including the "World MBA" tour. It's almost analogous to lots of phone companies making a special mention about "Call rates to India" and then the "Rest of the world"(currently Vonage is doing it on TV) is a separate category.

I guess my point is, I have noticed via various different news outlets that there seems to be a huge demand for MBA from students in India, and it could be due to the reasons you have mentioned.

MS could be useful if you find a job in some niche area in product development companies. For e.g. in Telecom,Image processing, Chip Design etc.

Imigrait
11-11-2009, 04:06 PM
My MBA class had lots of US experience
(H!b) people who burnt their fingers there and learned their lesson.

go_guy:
Could you explain the sentence above?

go_guy123
11-11-2009, 04:27 PM
You're probably right. I am not quite familiar with the job situation in India now(been in the US for the last 11 years). What you say makes sense because I read in Business week that half of the total # of Asian MBA students to the US are from India, so definitely there must be a reason for so many Indian students apply for MBA in the US. Also, I was noticing that a couple of good MBA schools have special MBA programs for Indian students(I think one was a Canadian school). Also, schools make a special marketing push in India including the "World MBA" tour. It's almost analogous to lots of phone companies making a special mention about "Call rates to India" and then the "Rest of the world"(currently Vonage is doing it on TV) is a separate category.

I guess my point is, I have noticed via various different news outlets that there seems to be a huge demand for MBA from students in India, and it could be due to the reasons you have mentioned.

MS could be useful if you find a job in some niche area in product development companies. For e.g. in Telecom,Image processing, Chip Design etc.

Actually the craze of doing an MBA (Finance) from US schools started in 2003 at the beginning of the financial bubble. People were getting big salaries and H1B after Finance MBA and therefore taking a 35 lakh loan from India was viable.

Moreover during the financial bubble days one could get a non-cosigner loan in top
schools for international students. That was the driver of high Indian student enrollment in top US Schools.

Those funky loans are now all gone. As the source of funding dries up, I suspect the
Indian enrollment in top us schools (expensive ones) will also plunge.

gcisadawg
11-12-2009, 12:23 AM
Dude, if you read the posting it is not that difficult to find out what I am talking. Neither I deliberately tried to alter the meaning to offend some one. On the other hand pointing someone else at typing mistakes, while not focusing on the what I asking for, show what kind of person "u" "r". I am sure people who come here for information make many grammatically or spelling mistakes. Pointing on silly things show how narrow minded you are. Even if it is for fun, make sure that u r not offending someone. Go to any forums, "u" find that people are least bother of typing or grammatical mistakes. "U" find some one in this thread itself who is serious and reply to my posting.

Well, you got it wrong, man! Re-read what I said. It doesn't say anything about what you did. It is just my opinion on typos. There are many studies done about that. Jumble a few letters in a frequently used word, our mind would still read that right since it does not read letter by letter but look at pattern and positioning.

Eg: EB3 backlog due to dearth of visa numbers versus EB3 backlog due to death of visa numbers.