Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Education in USA
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
2006-04-10
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
2007-08-04
Compare
suavesandeep is a glorious beacon of light suavesandeep is a glorious beacon of light suavesandeep is a glorious beacon of light suavesandeep is a glorious beacon of light suavesandeep is a glorious beacon of light suavesandeep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalGC View Post
Dear friends:

As the Past President of a PMI Chapter (PMP for the past 10 years and working in the field of Project management for the past 15 years) let me shed some light to this query.

Reasons why you should do PMP
1) If you believe you need a promotion, new job or rise the corporate ladder within the field of IT or management, take PMP.....Billing rate of PM's is $90-150/hr for consulting, full time could be from $100K-$250K. The next generation CIO's will be highly qualified PM's.
2) Job security for PMP's. The only job that will not be outsourced to India or China is that of a project manager.
3) PMP will help you get the project manager job, if you do not have one. However, become a Project Manager only if you like working with people. Trust me, if you hate politics and hate managing people, it is better for you to stay a techie. Your life will be miserable if you do not like managing people. Do something that you enjoy, rather than what you may hate. It is all about people and people management, rather than project management in the world of PMP's
4) PMP has become mandatory for all large gigs or projects. Small projects do not need PMP's and small projects do not pay well too.
5) PMP does not make you a better project manager. But PMP is needed by the industry. It is the experience that one gets from being on the field from different industries that makes one a good project manager.

I hope this should help some of you to make a decision to be a PMP or not.
Could not agree with this post more..In my case i manage a small team but also intentionally contribute in the development too just to keep my technical skills and not to mention i still get a kick out of coding .. I find the development part easier. People management and the politics you need to deal with your peers and higher up is the tougher part. It can get really frustrating/stressful some times because you got to deliver stuff and maximise your team output with not many things you can actually control. Me too debating to whether to give PMI certification or not. Found the discussion very useful. Made me think what is it that i really enjoy more

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice"
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vine93 View Post
2) Job security for PMP's. The only job that will not be outsourced to India or China is that of a project manager.

Wrong !! I work for IBM and IBM just recently outsourced almost all the PM's and SDM's job to India only ( Not to China because of English speaking ability ). IBM got tonnes of skilled MBA's with english speaking. As of now hardly I see any PM's from US during calls. But I admire you for all the other points. well said.
Dear vine93:

Your statement may be an unique case in one IBM project. I was a PMO overseeing a large IBM implementation project and all my peers at IBM had PMP's. However, for implementation projects MBA's are never considered better than PMP's, however they are at par. MBA with PMP is a unique combination and it will help your career growth. Yes i too have a MBA with PMP.

However, you said one important aspect of a Project manager, i.e. communication. The PM needs to have a good command over English communication, both speaking and writing, otherwise life will be a struggle. Many of the Indian, Chinese, Korean and other people from Asian countries have a very strong accent with their English communication....which can become a hinderance in getting the top job. Also note that a PMP will get a job if he is technically qualified and has a PMP, however for the top jobs your soft skills like communication, people skills and networking takes precedence.
Did not apply for EAD and AP
GREENED Aug 12, 2010

************************************************** ******************************
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.

Last edited by FinalGC; 01-05-2009 at 01:09 PM.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of FinalGC has much to be proud of
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_gc View Post
Hi FinalGC,

What is your defintion of a large project ? How much budget/people/schedule etc should we use for that definition.
I would say it depends from organization to organization. The way I have seen operating in the industry, one could consider a project large if it has a $1 million budget or more. However, organizations could also consider a program with mutiple small projects with a total budget value greater than $1 million as a large project, where the PM may handle mutiple small projects which will cumulatively have a budget greater than $1mill.

This is also one way to justify the need of a PM.

What is the budget of the project is one of the questions that a PM should ask during an interview, so that he/she will know the stability of the project and its longevity.

Hope that helps.
GREENED Aug 12, 2010

************************************************** ******************************
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/06/2007
Compare
for_gc is infamous around these parts for_gc is infamous around these parts

[quote= ...

Hope that helps.[/QUOTE]

Dear FinalGC,

This answer reallys helps. Thanks for the same.

Along with the budget amount what are other typical metrics for "large" projects like schedule, no. of resources etc. ?

Is there a website or other resource where this type of data is collected and we can take a look at it ?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold somegchuh is a splendid one to behold

As a PMP who works in a large corporation let me give you another side of the story.

1. PMP certification can get you a PM job and boost your earnings but if you hate having to deal with lots of people PM job is not for you.
2. PMP is for large projects in large corporations. If you like working in fast paced tech companies stay away from PMP. Basically PMP is meant to manage all the fluff that exists in large corporations.
3. Also, be ready for insults from technical staff. They treat PM's like idiots and quite frankly a lot of PM's are merely schedule jockeys. Very few PM's are true to their profession.
4. Bottomline: $500 is worth the investment. Do not shy away from it if you like PM kind of work.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future sanjay has a brilliant future

Only reason I am taking PMP course is because my company provides assistance in fees if its related to my project or helpful to company growth.

I really preferred to do MBA from college instead of PMP but due to company policy had to stick with PMP.

points given by FinalGC are certainly true to most of them.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2007
Compare
jskumar has a spectacular aura about jskumar has a spectacular aura about jskumar has a spectacular aura about
Wink Even for techies

Techies also need some PM sort of training to deal with Managerial BS that keeps coming by.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rajuram is a glorious beacon of light rajuram is a glorious beacon of light rajuram is a glorious beacon of light rajuram is a glorious beacon of light rajuram is a glorious beacon of light

In several responses people have compared MBA and PMP, I don't these two are comparable. Any thoughts?

Old 01-06-2009, 12:36 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
aachoo is a glorious beacon of light aachoo is a glorious beacon of light aachoo is a glorious beacon of light aachoo is a glorious beacon of light aachoo is a glorious beacon of light aachoo is a glorious beacon of light
Default MBA and PMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuram View Post
In several responses people have compared MBA and PMP, I don't these two are comparable. Any thoughts?
I am not sure why the 2 are being compared. One is a professional degree while the other is a certification. MBA prepares you (in theory) for several different jobs (marketing, finance, ops, general mgmt etc.) while PMP is primarily to "check the box" on program management. With all due respect to the PMPs (and other PM credentials) I havent seen any additional skills that PMP provides.

Yes- I have an MBA and a PM certification and work with several IT PMs/techies but an not in IT myself.

-a

Old 01-06-2009, 04:08 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
RDB is a name known to all RDB is a name known to all RDB is a name known to all RDB is a name known to all RDB is a name known to all RDB is a name known to all

Yes, completely agree....PMP is akin to CCNA type of certifications and MBA is akin to a MS in Computer Networking. I will not go into details explaining the difference but just getting CCNA only helps you get a job, not advance in your career - where as a MS degree will always help in advancement. Ofcourse, there are exceptions and nothing is set in stone but that's the general rule of thumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aachoo View Post
I am not sure why the 2 are being compared. One is a professional degree while the other is a certification. MBA prepares you (in theory) for several different jobs (marketing, finance, ops, general mgmt etc.) while PMP is primarily to "check the box" on program management. With all due respect to the PMPs (and other PM credentials) I havent seen any additional skills that PMP provides.

Yes- I have an MBA and a PM certification and work with several IT PMs/techies but an not in IT myself.

-a

Old 01-06-2009, 05:17 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2007
Compare
pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of
Default Here is where u can get help! for Dallas Folks

http://dallas.eknazar.com/Classified....php?id=254085

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/14/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/23/2007
Compare
stuckinretro is infamous around these parts

PMP is a certification and is merely to Project and People Management. MBA is a Graduate Degree and pertains to Business Management. One cannot and should not compare a certification to a Degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuram View Post

Old 01-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/20/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
Thumbs up

It is correct that a MBA will prepare one for mutiple fields, however the question being asked is specific for IT professionals who are trying to jump into management.

I believe the confusion is there between MBA and PMP, because some of the folks are at a juncture where they want to make a quick buck and are also thinking of career advancement.

Yes for a quick buck you can get a PMP and move up the ladder, but for long term sustainance you need MBA for senior management posts.
GREENED Aug 12, 2010

Old 09-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
simple1 has a spectacular aura about simple1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Is PMP related to software projects. How ?

I am bumping up this discussion.

1. After quick scan of PMBOK3, I am unable to find "software project" specific management processes in PMBOK. (except few words here and there).
2. Few months back, I talk to an Architect who has run through PMBOK. He rates it is closer to junk.
3. Today, I talked to non PMP "software project" manager. he says PMP is off in most of the areas in SP and not needed.

Or am I missing some thing?

Please note: I am not looking for generic management here( I am a MBA thank you ). I am not against reading PMBOK. All I want to know is the relationship between “software project” and PMP and the practical advantage of PMP certificaiton in day2day work.

Last edited by simple1; 09-09-2009 at 04:22 PM.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
va_dude has a brilliant future va_dude has a brilliant future va_dude has a brilliant future va_dude has a brilliant future va_dude has a brilliant future va_dude has a brilliant future va_dude has a brilliant future va_dude has a brilliant future va_dude has a brilliant future va_dude has a brilliant future va_dude has a brilliant future

You are right, the PMP doesn't really fit too well with more contemporary software development methdologies of today. But the book still adds some value in that it still talks about the basic fundamentals of planning, executing and monitoring - which are activities practiced in all industries.

I did get some additional value by reading up on agile project mgmt. Its more software dev specific.

Asking an architect for an opinion on proj mgmt is a waste of time. There usually is a sharp divide between their perspectives (i've been on both sides of this debate). Technical architects usually feel mgmt is a bunch of fluff, which many times it is, but a lot of it is still "essential" fluff