Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Education in USA
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
geesee is a glorious beacon of light geesee is a glorious beacon of light geesee is a glorious beacon of light geesee is a glorious beacon of light geesee is a glorious beacon of light

I am working in tech field doing techie stuff (like System.out.println ) I did PMP in Jan 2008.. so far i didnt get a chance to use my PM skills (thanks to USCIS for not giving me GC yet and limiting my ability to look for better job)

I havent done MBA so I did learn few (project) management lessons while preparing for PMP.. although I wouldnt say that real world project management generally follows what is published by PMI

For studying PMP, I would highly recommend reading PMP Prep book by Rita Mulcahy.. I never read PMBOK... Also, give few mock up exams (there are plenty available on net)...

I am preparing for CFA level 1.. and man PMP was much easier! (just comparing one certification to the other - one with 5 books to read and other with only 1 book!)
I-485 ND 18-Sep-2007
I-485 Soft LUD 31-Mar-2009
I-485 RFERR 18-Aug-2015
GC Approved!! 1-Sep-2015

Contribution - $225 till date
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/31/2007
Compare
uscisc has a spectacular aura about uscisc has a spectacular aura about uscisc has a spectacular aura about
Default If you have time to do PMP, it is very good to have.

If you are a software engineer and street smart then you don’t need PMP to continue growing in your field. I am a software engineer and my understanding is as follows. Currently most of us are working under a manager who is either not good at management or not having the required level of technical skills to understand the project complexities for doing proper project management. As the salaries in the software field are good most of the people moved to software field irrespective of what their core skills are. So, people who are good at project management and working as software engineers should do PMP to rejuvenate their skills and bring some good project managers to the software industry.

Even if you are not good at project management, you should do PMP to understand the environment you are working. That is especially to keep yourself in the shoes of your manager. The advantage of doing that is, if your manager is blaming you for his mistakes, you will know what to talk with your manager and avoid yourself burning out because of your manager mistakes. This is something that is very common in the software industry. It doesn’t matter where you are and what you are doing, it is always helpful to know role of a project manager to keep yourself in a better position.

Also PMP is not just $500 thing. I can say you should be ready to spend at least $700 and allocate lot of time (It takes lot of time if you are parallel working) to understand PMBOK and its related material.

Also to keep your certification active, you should get 60 PDU every 3years, but this is not a big deal.

To keep yourself motivated till you get the certification, keep this in mind. “Most of the best paid people are the best managers” you cannot make that kind of money unless you start you journey towards that direction.

PMP can be considered as one of the subjects (in detail) in MBA (like a subset of MBA), and should not be compared with MBA, as MBA will provide you with more skills in more directions in handling business.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
chaukas is just really nice chaukas is just really nice chaukas is just really nice chaukas is just really nice
Default My personal opinion

The discussion seems to be focused on getting a certification to add to your resume. I am a PMP too, have delivered several small projects.
I think whether you are a PM or a developer, PMP is a good step to understanding and appreciating the business value of what you are doing as a techie.

It is not just a certification but a way of thinking.
It applies to everything in your life not just your work......

Treating it like a commodity isn't the best way to look at it.

My 2 cents .....
$520 to date . $20 per month.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute psaxena has a reputation beyond repute
Default PMP is the right way..

I am a PMP certified and I know how much it makes a difference in my working now and then..
PMP is a methodology with standards if followed to its best, you will never have a derailed project or dissatified clients and management. The biggest difference I was when my VP was trying to execute a migration project and slipped 3 deadlines. When I stepped in I simply started putting up the things in place the way PMP recommends and got everyone in line and guess what, on dec 11 the migration of the complete system and application from one datacenter to the other completed. I got commendation etc etc etc .. from senior management and they said none of projects have been executed so smoothly as this one..

Thats another story after 3 months I got lay off. Anyways PMP is very very very important, its not about managing people , its all about managing the Project. Most of the guys have the misconception that when they become the PM they will have 2-5 guys reporting to them and one will be the "BOSS". Thats not PMP means, I have done Project management without anyone reporting to me, actually I was treating the team as they are my boss and keep every thing and everyone in line in terms of the Project execution. Reporting and stuff happens in the functional organization with functional managers, in projectized environment everything is adhoc. once the project is completed everything dismantles and the project management is nothing but just a tool.

You will come to know the value of Project management when one will work in 20-50 million $ projects and how PMPs help keeping everything so simple and straight.

Support HR-3012 and Support Fairness!

Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Contribute | HR3012 Wiki

Info on Rally | Accommodation | Air Miles | Carpool | Merchandize | Posters | Volunteers

--------------------------
Result for psaxena:
Your position is 53193 in the Green Card Queue based on your Country of Chargeability "India", Priority Date "Aug-06" and Category "EB3" .
Your Expected Date of Adjudication is Sep, 2028.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2007
Compare
pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of pani_6 has much to be proud of
Default Adds value to ORG..

If you join as a PM somewhere ...you need to be aware of things line earned value, risk register, critical path, management reserves, contract change control system, stages of team formation, types of Org..etc..etc..which is common terminology for PM's..so unless you want to join as a PM and blink you want to get certified..

Most manager jobs require this certification ...like you would go to a dentist to deal with problems with your teeth...not that a general physican cant do it..but a dentist specailises in teeth care..just like it PM is a separate proffession..I have seen MBA getting PMP ceritified..

For a Reason ..among all the certs ...this is the 1st or the 2nd most sought after..in the world..

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
deepak has much to be proud of deepak has much to be proud of deepak has much to be proud of deepak has much to be proud of deepak has much to be proud of deepak has much to be proud of deepak has much to be proud of deepak has much to be proud of deepak has much to be proud of

I think as with all certifications, the effort you put into getting the certification teaches you a lot. It is debatable as to if the certificate itself has any value. It is kind of like going to college, the degree just gives a 3rd party assertion that you did what you say you did.

I must admit that I have not maintained my PMP certification and it has lapsed over the last two years. I just found it very utopian and not very practical. Maybe that is the way it is designed to be. I also got my PMP after spending 5 years successfully rolling out two CMM level 5 assesments and one ISO 9001 certification for my employers. PMP for me was just a way of having someone endorse me and my skills. Over time I found it to be relatively useless unless you hang out at the various PMI meets to do some effective networking.

If you are a project lead, or someone stepping up to a managerial level, this could really give you a big boost, an endorsement of your life experiences and skills. If you have already been a PM in a CMM5 or ISO9001 organization, you probably already follow most of the best practices and the PMP can't add much more to your life.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
poorslumdog has a reputation beyond repute poorslumdog has a reputation beyond repute poorslumdog has a reputation beyond repute poorslumdog has a reputation beyond repute poorslumdog has a reputation beyond repute poorslumdog has a reputation beyond repute poorslumdog has a reputation beyond repute poorslumdog has a reputation beyond repute poorslumdog has a reputation beyond repute poorslumdog has a reputation beyond repute poorslumdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default APICS Material

Guys,

Sorry to deviate from PMP...since its related to certification I am posting it here...

If anyone of you here in SAP, Oracle apps, JDE...this might be useful. I have APICS CSCP (Certified Supply Chain Professional) books all four volumes in very good condition. I have cleared the exam today and putting it for sale. If you need please send me private message. I will donate 10% to IV. I am listing it here as there are lot of guys in IT and working in ERP. So please dont give me red.

Thanks.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
gc_maine2 is just really nice gc_maine2 is just really nice gc_maine2 is just really nice gc_maine2 is just really nice gc_maine2 is just really nice
Default Good Discussion on PMP

its a really good discussion, thanks to all people who have provided valuable information. I am a Consultant throughout my career and never lead a team but now planning to change gears and move into project management. When I goolged about the requirement to take the exam, Lot of PMP training institutes came up and they are charging about $2000 for training and they say its a 5 day course, guarantee to pass bhla bhla .... My first question is it required to take these training classes? if not how to become eligible for to take the exam, Please advice.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-------------------------------
[I]United we Win, Divided we Fall[/i]
Eb3 -Mar 04,
Total contribution $350

Old 08-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute eb3retro has a reputation beyond repute
Default here my 2 cents..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc_maine2 View Post
its a really good discussion, thanks to all people who have provided valuable information. I am a Consultant throughout my career and never lead a team but now planning to change gears and move into project management. When I goolged about the requirement to take the exam, Lot of PMP training institutes came up and they are charging about $2000 for training and they say its a 5 day course, guarantee to pass bhla bhla .... My first question is it required to take these training classes? if not how to become eligible for to take the exam, Please advice.
gcmaine. here is my answer to your question. I completed my PMP in 2008. Same like other folks here, thanks to USCIS, I have never been able to use it, since I am in eb3 and cant change job family. anyways here is my thought, in my opinion, this is just my opinion , keep in mind, those trainings are not at all necessary, if you have little bit of perseverance and time. Reason I am saying this is, with 2 kids, I was able to do this PMP certification myself, without any training. I took my own sweet time, spent 6 months studying in a library (2 hours every day on weekdays) and couple of hours in the weekends. I could pass this in one shot. And if I can do it, anyone can do it. All you need is perseverance and I am sure you will get through. PM me if you have any questions on how to prepare for the exam.
485 status - Rotting in NSC with a single RFE
Lost H1, working on EAD. Invoked AC21 twice.
Attended DC Rally and contributed to IV many times.
Renewed EAD 3 times and AP 4 times
Total cost from the H1 days (new h1, extension, ead, ap, 140, 485 etc - $22000)
Total cost if I had bought a labor certification those days and having a GC by now - $15000
Not knowing if GC is this worth - Priceless.
R2I'd in Feb 2011.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/21/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
nk29 is a splendid one to behold nk29 is a splendid one to behold nk29 is a splendid one to behold nk29 is a splendid one to behold nk29 is a splendid one to behold nk29 is a splendid one to behold nk29 is a splendid one to behold nk29 is a splendid one to behold

GCMaine:

I agree with Eb3Retro... My husband did his PMP Certification on his own.. he used a couple of pmi guides that he bought from amazon.com in addition to the PMBOK book. he worked on this certification for 3 to 4 months and passed it. It is possible. It is quite useful according to him if you want to lead teams. No need to spend money on this training.

NK29

Old 08-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/15/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
murali77 can only hope to improve
Default I want the APICS stuff.

poorslumdog
Please email me at win77in@gmail.com for the CSCP material.

thanks
Murali

Old 08-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/03/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
sundeep14 has much to be proud of sundeep14 has much to be proud of sundeep14 has much to be proud of sundeep14 has much to be proud of sundeep14 has much to be proud of sundeep14 has much to be proud of sundeep14 has much to be proud of sundeep14 has much to be proud of sundeep14 has much to be proud of

how to keep ur PMP certification active..? I understand that we have to have 60 credits of PDU to keep PMP acitve....what is the cheapest / easiest way to keep it active...??...also...i cannot get the pdu etc from my work place as i am not PMO role yet....

are there any online websites where we can keep take classes to keep PDU active.?

Old 08-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/21/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
nk29 is a splendid one to behold nk29 is a splendid one to behold nk29 is a splendid one to behold nk29 is a splendid one to behold nk29 is a splendid one to behold nk29 is a splendid one to behold nk29 is a splendid one to behold nk29 is a splendid one to behold

I am not totally sure but this is how my husband earns his pdus..he is a volunteer in the local PMI chapter and he also presents some Project management papers. Also the local Chapter will have some monthly meetings or networking meetings where you can earn PDUs. He is also teaching PMI classes through the chapter. All these without any costs. So find a local chapter in your city and that should help you.

NK29

Old 08-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/10/2006
Compare
getgc2008 can only hope to improve
Default nice info

This info on the thread is so helpful. I was thinking of doing the PMP certification. I googled for the last one month and got so much information that I was confused. But this thread kind of cleared out the confusion.

Would appreciate if you can list the books that I can go through for PMP certification. Also please email me at getgc2008@gmail.com if you have any reference material. I am also looking for any used books that I can get hold of.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/25/2007
Compare
ksircar is a glorious beacon of light ksircar is a glorious beacon of light ksircar is a glorious beacon of light ksircar is a glorious beacon of light ksircar is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundeep14 View Post
how to keep ur PMP certification active..? I understand that we have to have 60 credits of PDU to keep PMP acitve....what is the cheapest / easiest way to keep it active...??...also...i cannot get the pdu etc from my work place as i am not PMO role yet....

are there any online websites where we can keep take classes to keep PDU active.?
I did my PMP in 2007, didn't attend any course, just read (self-study) couple of exam guides and tried some sample tests. Regarding getting PDUs, I ususally attend local ORACLE Users Group meetings (2 hours per month) and get 2 PDUs each month. Also, I attended couple of free IT Workshops/Seminars and got PDUs against them. I pay just $40 per year for OUG membership and have enough PDUs for my next PMP renewal.

Hope it helps to answer your question.