Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Education in USA
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tomtom23 is on a distinguished road
Default F-1 visa for Minor Children

I want my 6-year old son to study at a private elementary school in the US, starting at first grade. We currently live outside of the US, but we hold US tourist visa. Can my 6-year old son apply for himself for an F-1 visa given his young age and the fact that none of his parents holds a residency visa in US, and would his mother be able to stay with him in the US under "her own" visitor visa (B1), provided she leaves the country every six month and doesn't break any of the B1 visa rules?

If anyone has ever dealt with such a case, please let me know as we want our children to get the best education in the world from a very young age, while we want to obey all US immigration laws.

Thanks!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/29/2012
Compare
smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute smuggymba has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't looked at this but there should definitely be a way to attend any private school. So many Russians come to the US to go to Tennis academies at a very young age.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/30/2011
Compare
thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom23 View Post
I want my 6-year old son to study at a private elementary school in the US, starting at first grade. We currently live outside of the US, but we hold US tourist visa. Can my 6-year old son apply for himself for an F-1 visa given his young age and the fact that none of his parents holds a residency visa in US, and would his mother be able to stay with him in the US under "her own" visitor visa (B1), provided she leaves the country every six month and doesn't break any of the B1 visa rules?

If anyone has ever dealt with such a case, please let me know as we want our children to get the best education in the world from a very young age, while we want to obey all US immigration laws.

Thanks!
Interesting question tomtom. Dont know which country you are from but obviously there are not enough good schools there? Also looks like you are from a country that has a system similar to the US. I dont think anybody from India will try this option because early schooling is much better there and also for Indians if somebody is ultimately planning to reside and work in India you loose a lot by not learning the Indian culture by staying abroad during early stages.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/06/2012
Compare
krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute

The child will probably get F1 but it will not be possible for mother to be in B1. On B1, you cannot just leave for a week or month and come back for another 6 months.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:36 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tomtom23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomachan72 View Post
Interesting question tomtom. Dont know which country you are from but obviously there are not enough good schools there? Also looks like you are from a country that has a system similar to the US. I dont think anybody from India will try this option because early schooling is much better there and also for Indians if somebody is ultimately planning to reside and work in India you loose a lot by not learning the Indian culture by staying abroad during early stages.
Thank you, thomachan, for your reply. We are actually from Mexico, and although there are good schools in Mexico, it is also the safety and security issue that we're after. We do not intend to immigrate or live in the US forever; neither will my wife be seeking work over there, as we are, fortunately, financially secured.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
zmbharmal has a reputation beyond repute zmbharmal has a reputation beyond repute zmbharmal has a reputation beyond repute zmbharmal has a reputation beyond repute zmbharmal has a reputation beyond repute zmbharmal has a reputation beyond repute zmbharmal has a reputation beyond repute zmbharmal has a reputation beyond repute zmbharmal has a reputation beyond repute zmbharmal has a reputation beyond repute zmbharmal has a reputation beyond repute

I do not think F1 visa applies to Elementary Schools.