Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Education in USA
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 06:15 AM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/02/2011
Compare
gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question : Howard County Pre k admission to Private or Public school

Hello

Recently I got an offer from one of consulting firm in Howard County in Maryland. My daughter will finish 4 years on Oct 16th. MD staet law for Pre K Admission is Sep 1st in public school.

Do private schools in howard county allow to enroll kids with Oct 16th or later birth date ? Any one has experience on this ?

Thanks
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2012, 07:16 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Velu has a brilliant future Velu has a brilliant future Velu has a brilliant future Velu has a brilliant future Velu has a brilliant future Velu has a brilliant future Velu has a brilliant future Velu has a brilliant future Velu has a brilliant future Velu has a brilliant future Velu has a brilliant future
Default They might allow till Oct 15, not sure 16th

Hi,

I know that in Howard county public schools there is an early admission where they can enroll kids till Oct 15 but not sure about Oct 16th.

Howard County Public School System

I checked couple of private schools websites and it says age requirement as 5 years as of Sep 1.

Lower School Admissions | St. John's Parish Day School
Admissions - Resurrection-St.Paul School, Fully Accredited K - 8 Catholic School in Ellicott City, Maryland

Thanks,
Velu

Old 07-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/02/2011
Compare
gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thanks Velu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velu View Post
Hi,

I know that in Howard county public schools there is an early admission where they can enroll kids till Oct 15 but not sure about Oct 16th.

Howard County Public School System

I checked couple of private schools websites and it says age requirement as 5 years as of Sep 1.

Lower School Admissions | St. John's Parish Day School
Admissions - Resurrection-St.Paul School, Fully Accredited K - 8 Catholic School in Ellicott City, Maryland

Thanks,
Velu

Thanks a lot for your response. Its my bad that I did not mention that I went thorough it. I was looking for some one who had gone through same situation from our community in that area and can share some detail / personal experience.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/06/2007
Compare
dba9ioracle has a reputation beyond repute dba9ioracle has a reputation beyond repute dba9ioracle has a reputation beyond repute dba9ioracle has a reputation beyond repute dba9ioracle has a reputation beyond repute dba9ioracle has a reputation beyond repute dba9ioracle has a reputation beyond repute dba9ioracle has a reputation beyond repute dba9ioracle has a reputation beyond repute dba9ioracle has a reputation beyond repute dba9ioracle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Howard county public school PreK

I work and live in Howard county and my kids to go Howard county public school. Admission to Pre-K in howard county school is based on lottery. They do not have full capacity for pre-K students. In other words, All kids who are eligible to to KG are given admission but for Pre-K they have lottery and interview system(where all kids - about 100 of them- are invited to the school on particular day and they had an opening for about 15 kids). Admission for 2013-2014 school year was started in Feb and already completed. Most kids who does not speak english or needs special education (kids who are mentaly challenged or autism) get preferences so there are slim chances (unless you or your spouse volunteer in the school and have connections to school staff) for admission. I had gone thru the process of applying and waiting for 2 years in a row and sent my kids to Goddard school (private) instead. St Pual prerrish school somebody mentioned here is a catholic school and I prefrerred not to go there after my first visit to the school. Sorry it was my personal preference and one of my friend's kids go there and it is not cheap as well. Also, Please, you can try to go to school in your area and call them to find out if they have openings.

So good luck with the admission for pre-k.
Contributed 28$ Give me a HIGH FIVE Drive
------------------------------------------
If my post has been helpful, please consider contributing to immigrationvoice. It will help us continue this effort and serve the community. Thank you.
------------------------------------------

Old 07-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/02/2011
Compare
Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba9ioracle View Post
I work and live in Howard county and my kids to go Howard county public school. Admission to Pre-K in howard county school is based on lottery. They do not have full capacity for pre-K students. In other words, All kids who are eligible to to KG are given admission but for Pre-K they have lottery and interview system(where all kids - about 100 of them- are invited to the school on particular day and they had an opening for about 15 kids). Admission for 2013-2014 school year was started in Feb and already completed. Most kids who does not speak english or needs special education (kids who are mentaly challenged or autism) get preferences so there are slim chances (unless you or your spouse volunteer in the school and have connections to school staff) for admission. I had gone thru the process of applying and waiting for 2 years in a row and sent my kids to Goddard school (private) instead. St Pual prerrish school somebody mentioned here is a catholic school and I prefrerred not to go there after my first visit to the school. Sorry it was my personal preference and one of my friend's kids go there and it is not cheap as well. Also, Please, you can try to go to school in your area and call them to find out if they have openings.

So good luck with the admission for pre-k.
Do you know if private schools accept kids with birth date of Oct 16th ?

Old 07-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
GCisLottery is on a distinguished road
Default Wait

Just wait until when she actually turns 5 years.

My wife's niece is August born and she is the youngest in the class. It is challenging (read: difficult) for her on all levels. She goes to Public school in Howard county.

From what I hear the expectation from kids is more than what they can handle at that age.

Think about waiting a year.

IV Contributions: $155, contacted lawmakers(received canned responses).

H1: Started in Mar 2001
LC: EB3 Mar 2005 - Dead in Backlog Elimination Center
LC: EB3 May 2006 - PERM Approved
I-140: Nov '06 Approved (After RFE)
--
EB2 Porting:
LC Filed: March 30, 2012
LC Pre-Approval e-mail received: June 1, 2012
I-140 Approved: August 8, 2012
I-485 Approved: August 22, 2013