Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Education in USA
Click to log in with Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
abrarsalam is on a distinguished road
Default Help with missed exam and evaluation BCom India

Hi. I am from Hyderabad, India, and I was pursuing my bachelors in commerce in computers science (3 years) from St Ann's College for Women in Mehdipatnam, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh (3 years). I say I was pursuing my education because, during my final year exams, due to my expiring fiance visa, and postponed exams and strikes in Hyderabad, I was not able to take my last exam. I took all the other exams, and have missed only the last one. Now, I am in USA, and don't plan on returning back to India for some time. I researched that my 3 year degree is from a NAAC accredited "A" grade college, and that it happens to be one of Division I or II. This qualifies my education for an equivalent 4 years US Bachelors Degree. But I missed my last exam. Everything else is complete. How do I remedy this situation without going back to India to take that exam? Can I take that one missed course here, pass it, and be offered the bachelors degree equivalent? Please let me know how that works. Thanks.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
nrmarrivada9 has a reputation beyond repute nrmarrivada9 has a reputation beyond repute nrmarrivada9 has a reputation beyond repute nrmarrivada9 has a reputation beyond repute nrmarrivada9 has a reputation beyond repute nrmarrivada9 has a reputation beyond repute nrmarrivada9 has a reputation beyond repute nrmarrivada9 has a reputation beyond repute nrmarrivada9 has a reputation beyond repute nrmarrivada9 has a reputation beyond repute nrmarrivada9 has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that you are intending get the undergrad diploma from a US school. The information provided below could help:
1) Most of the US schools requires the student to complete 120 - 130 credits for issuing diploma/degree.
2) Out of these 120-130, some of them fall in (a) University Core Curriculum and the rest in (b) Academic Area curriculum (like Commerce or Physics etc.)
3) Most of the universities allow the international students to transfer some of their credits / courses (not all of them) completed in their home country.
4) Only the School's International Students Office would be able to tell which of the courses can be transferred. Only the School can provide details on and how many courses you may have to study in order to get the diploma.
5) My assumption is that you may be asked to complete at least 40 credit hrs (which is ~ equal to 10 courses) in order to get the diploma/degree. I STRONGLY ADVISE YOU TO CHECK WITH THE SCHOOL. REACH OUT THE INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS OFFICE..
6) If you are intending to get away with a single course, then you are out of luck.

All the best,
Naveen Reddy
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote