Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Ask an Attorney - > Non-Immigrant Visa
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visa This forum is for asking questions from Immigration Attorney.
--------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
--------------------------------------------
By participating in this forum or reviewing or reading a transcript or recording of any forum discussion or conference call, you agree that you have read and understand the following disclaimer:
The information provided in this forum as well as any transcripts or recordings posted on this website or websites of participating law firms or attorneys is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing. The information provided during any conference calls and their transcripts or recordings was pertinent at the time of the conference calls, but may become outdated. We are not responsible in any way for any outdated materials.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS, LAW FIRMS, INDIVIDUALS, OR IMMIGRATION VOICE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONFERENCE CALLS, THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE WHERE TRANSCRIPTS OR RECORDINGS MAY BE POSTED, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Apr-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 105
mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Iceland Volcano - Travel; Status Impact

My parents are scheduled to travel on Monday via delta flight to India via Paris. As you all know all European flights are either cancelled or postponed and paris airport is currently closed. Their I-94 date is 19-April.

They will travel on next available flight if we find that monday flight is cancelled (which is likely). Assuming that their travel is cancelled or postponed, it is evident that they will most likely pass their I94 date.

What should we do in such situation? Just trying to understand any steps we need to take in advance if we have to notify any authority etc.

Appreciate your help,
thanks!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Member
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 86
softcrowd has a spectacular aura about softcrowd has a spectacular aura about
Default Don't worry!

Nothing to panic. This is a disaster & the entire world knows about it. Just make sure to take the screenshots of flight cancellation status & few online news headlines. Ask your parents to carry this while traveling to US in future.

For now, try to see there are any other options for them (like booking the ticket via one of those middle-east airlines). If not, just wait till middle of the next week so situation would be improved anyway.

Couple of days delay is easily justifiable under extraordinary situation like this one.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Junior Member
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1
kinoos is on a distinguished road
Default

@softcrowd - i understand that they will understand the situation.. but is it possible that we can change the I94 date before we get out of US and do not want to carry any screenshots when travelling next time.


@mmk123 - Please do let me know what you are doing in this situation. I am stuck in almost in the same situation.. how the I 94 date is on the 21st.. i have already re-booked my tickets for the 21st.... and with the situation this might also cancell.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/21/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 362
saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute
Default

take infopass and try to take extension on I-94 if possible or an official USCIS letter stating the circumstances
also maybe flying west would be better over the pacific instead of atlantic....
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
Apr-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 105
mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute mmk123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

we filed online I539 for extension of status and sent documents today. Should be all set even if opening air-space takes few more days. It's simple for this kind of a case..

thanks!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Senior Member
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 328
waitin_toolong will become famous soon enough waitin_toolong will become famous soon enough
Default

Greg Siskind on Immigration Law and Policy: WHAT TO DO IF THE ICELAND VOLCANO IS DELAYING YOUR DEPARTURE
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 107
immig4me has a brilliant future immig4me has a brilliant future immig4me has a brilliant future immig4me has a brilliant future immig4me has a brilliant future immig4me has a brilliant future immig4me has a brilliant future immig4me has a brilliant future immig4me has a brilliant future immig4me has a brilliant future immig4me has a brilliant future
Default

Travel Advisory: Delays Due to Icelandic Volcano Eruption

(04/17/2010) If you or someone you know is stranded in the United States because of the airport closures in Europe due to the Icelandic volcano eruption and is about to exceed their authorized stay as a direct result of these closures, there are two avenues for relief:

If the traveler is at the airport and traveling under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and unable to depart timely, as a result of airport closures or flight delays/cancellations, travelers should:

1. Contact the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) office at the airport or;
2. Contact the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office.

Both agencies have provided staff with guidance on the applicable legal authorities under the VWP in circumstances such as these.

If persons are traveling under a visa, they should contact the nearest USCIS office and follow the instructions at the following link: ( USCIS - Extend My Stay )

While this link recommends initiating the process 45 days in advance, USCIS is providing guidance on how to handle these cases over this weekend.

-- from IV advisor Greg Siskind
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote


  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2010, 03:37 PM
US Immigration Attorney
Law Office of Elaine Martin
6333 E. Mockingbird Ln Ste 147-910
Dallas, Texas-75214
http://www.martinvisalaw.com
Thank the Attorney if this post is helpful
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 464
Thanks: 0
Thanked 365 Times in 201 Posts
martinvisalaw is on a distinguished road
Default

USCIS also has guidance on its website here

**************
Special Update: Relief for Foreign Nationals Stranded due to the Icelandic Volcano Eruption

Foreign nationals stranded in the U.S. because of the airport closures in Europe due to the Icelandic volcano eruption and who are about to exceed their authorized stay in the U.S. have two avenues for relief. If at an airport and traveling under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), they should contact the U.S. Customs and Border Protection office at the airport. They may also contact the local U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services office. Both Department of Homeland Security agencies have provided their staff and offices with guidance on the applicable legal authorities under the VWP in circumstances such as this.

Persons traveling under a visa should contact the nearest USCIS office and follow the instructions below. While these instructions recommend initiating the process 45 days in advance, USCIS is providing reminder guidance on how to handle such cases until normal flights are scheduled between the U.S. and foreign countries affected by the Icelandic volcanic activity.



Extend My Stay

If you want to extend your stay in the United States, you must file a request with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on the Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status before your authorized stay expires. If you remain in the United States longer than authorized, you may be barred from returning and/or you may be removed (deported) from the United States. Check the date in the lower right-hand corner of your Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record, to determine the date your authorized stay expires. We recommend that you apply to extend your stay at least 45 days before your authorized stay expires.

You may apply to extend your stay if:

* You were lawfully admitted into the United States with a nonimmigrant visa
* Your nonimmigrant visa status remains valid
* You have not committed any crimes that make you ineligible for a visa
* You have not violated the conditions of your admission
* Your passport is valid and will remain valid for the duration of your stay

You may not apply to extend your stay if you were admitted to the United States in the following categories:

* Visa Waiver Program
* Crew member (D nonimmigrant visa)
* In transit through the United States (C nonimmigrant visa)
* In transit through the United States without a visa (TWOV)
* Fiancé of a U.S. citizen or dependent of a fiancé (K nonimmigrant visa)
* Informant (and accompanying family) on terrorism or organized crime (S nonimmigrant visa)

For information on how to apply, see the “How Do I: Guides for Nonimigrants” link to the right.


Last updated: 04/18/2010
__________________
Elaine Martin
Law Office of Elaine Martin
Phone: (214) 329-4148
Toll-free phone: 1-866-318-8813
emartin@martinvisalaw.com
www.martinvisalaw.com
www.martinvisalaw.blogspot.com
Dedicated exclusively to immigration law since 1997

This message does not create an attorney-client relationship if we have not both signed an engagement letter. This message discusses general legal questions and other matters. It should not be used or relied on by anyone as legal advice.
Bookmark and Share   Reply With Quote  
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fingertipis burned..it's impact on Travel and GC maheshf Non-Immigrant Visa 1 01-04-2010 04:18 PM
Can I travel outside the US on AP when no other status is applicable antihero Travel out of country and re-entry during/after 485 filing 13 12-02-2008 09:27 AM
EAD and Impact on H-1B Status for EB-485 Applicants in H-1B Nonimmigrant Status mayflower_IL Work/Travel options after 485 : H1 Versus EAD/AP 1 10-19-2007 04:51 PM
EAD and Impact on H-1B Status for EB-485 Applicants smartboy75 Retrogression, priority dates and Visa bulletins 6 10-17-2007 05:08 PM
International Travel in OPT status vijayendrak Non-Immigrant Visas 2 10-17-2007 12:35 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c)ImmigrationVoice.org