Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Ask an Attorney - > Non-Immigrant Visa
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visa This forum is for asking questions from Immigration Attorney.
--------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
--------------------------------------------
By participating in this forum or reviewing or reading a transcript or recording of any forum discussion or conference call, you agree that you have read and understand the following disclaimer:
The information provided in this forum as well as any transcripts or recordings posted on this website or websites of participating law firms or attorneys is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing. The information provided during any conference calls and their transcripts or recordings was pertinent at the time of the conference calls, but may become outdated. We are not responsible in any way for any outdated materials.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS, LAW FIRMS, INDIVIDUALS, OR IMMIGRATION VOICE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONFERENCE CALLS, THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE WHERE TRANSCRIPTS OR RECORDINGS MAY BE POSTED, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 12:14 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tarzan538 is infamous around these parts tarzan538 is infamous around these parts tarzan538 is infamous around these parts
Default Is this a racist comment?

I received this message from somebody at the company. It sounds like a hate/racist comment to me;

"I donít buy that. I have nothing against immigration as long as itís done the way itís supposed to be done. After all, our ancestors were immigrants. But there are plenty of immigrants that come to this country, register, become citizens and pay into the system the right way. The pictures you just saw are not a sad situation for the illegals, itís a sad situation for this country that trash and filth is being left behind by illegal aliens. Those people donít care about the trash nor the money that it costs the local and US governments to clean it up. Illegal aliens do not pay into the system but get a heck of a lot out of it. Someone has to pay for their health care when they go to the hospital or doctor. That is why we pay so much for healthcare, so the hard working American citizen has to pay for illegal aliens. Freedom comes with a price tag and NONE of those illegals paid the price for the freedoms that we enjoy in America, they just walked right in and took it, they work for cash money and pay nothing into the government. Yet they are still eating our food, using our gas and breathing our air. Sorry, I donít feel sorry for them. "

What do you think?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2010, 12:24 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Jipjap74 is infamous around these parts Jipjap74 is infamous around these parts Jipjap74 is infamous around these parts

Im my opinion I dont think so. I think whoever said it is angry with the system and not the actual people. I myself came from overseas 2 years ago and have just recently been approved a green card so I can see it from both sides. The majority of illegal immigrants in most countries want to work legally but cant. I come from Ireland and we had a lot of illegal immigrants there and most wanted to work but where not allowed so what else are they supposed to do to feed and clothe there families?
On the other hand i feel for the people that are legally stuck in the system for years awaiting a green card. What is the fix? I dont know but I dont think the comment is racist just anger at the system.

My 2 cents

Old 05-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Compare
redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know legal and illegal immigrants are races!

Old 05-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Botswana
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
isedkeem will become famous soon enough isedkeem will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan538 View Post
I received this message from somebody at the company. It sounds like a hate/racist comment to me;

"I donít buy that. I have nothing against immigration as long as itís done the way itís supposed to be done. After all, our ancestors were immigrants. But there are plenty of immigrants that come to this country, register, become citizens and pay into the system the right way. The pictures you just saw are not a sad situation for the illegals, itís a sad situation for this country that trash and filth is being left behind by illegal aliens. Those people donít care about the trash nor the money that it costs the local and US governments to clean it up. Illegal aliens do not pay into the system but get a heck of a lot out of it. Someone has to pay for their health care when they go to the hospital or doctor. That is why we pay so much for healthcare, so the hard working American citizen has to pay for illegal aliens. Freedom comes with a price tag and NONE of those illegals paid the price for the freedoms that we enjoy in America, they just walked right in and took it, they work for cash money and pay nothing into the government. Yet they are still eating our food, using our gas and breathing our air. Sorry, I donít feel sorry for them. "

What do you think?
You should tell them politely that without illegals, an orange could very well cost $9.99 instead of $0.99 and a burger and fries might go for $35 instead of $1.99 and a nanny might cost $4000 a month (and don't forget her health benefits). Undocumented workers are here because of economic reasons and there are plenty of American businesses who would shut down and Americans who would go broke if they couldn't hire illegals for less than the minimum wage. There are plenty of jobs that are dirty and dangerous and the only people willing to do them for cheap are unfortunately the illegals. Hiring Americans for these jobs at "proper" wages would mean going out of business or unaffordable prices that have the same effect. How much illegals cost in health care and public services needs to be looked at but it is disingenuous to suggest that a utopian world is just around the corner if all illegals are deported - in fact it would be the opposite. Lastly nobody seems to understand that there are many Americans who are free riders of the public system too - lots of people don't pay any taxes and get all the public benefits (and ironically these are the very people most vocally against illegals).

Old 05-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Ann Ruben is just really nice Ann Ruben is just really nice Ann Ruben is just really nice Ann Ruben is just really nice

Well said, Isedkeem!!

Old 05-25-2010, 12:47 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-01
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sargon is infamous around these parts sargon is infamous around these parts sargon is infamous around these parts sargon is infamous around these parts sargon is infamous around these parts sargon is infamous around these parts sargon is infamous around these parts
Default Not racist but hate filled neverthless

The message is not racist, but it is astonishingly stupid anyway. Somebody is pissed because illegals are "breathing our air". Is it for real. What does he/she want? Pay taxes to breath their air? And the person had the gall to call this country "free". What a load of crap.

And btw, tell this person that illegals do want to "pay into the system". but the problem is that system accepts only checks or credit cards. And one can not get checks/cards unless one has a SSN. Classic catch 22, Hai Na?

Old 05-25-2010, 03:43 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/30/2011
Compare
thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by isedkeem View Post
You should tell them politely that without illegals, an orange could very well cost $9.99 instead of $0.99 and a burger and fries might go for $35 instead of $1.99 and a nanny might cost $4000 a month (and don't forget her health benefits). Undocumented workers are here because of economic reasons and there are plenty of American businesses who would shut down and Americans who would go broke if they couldn't hire illegals for less than the minimum wage. There are plenty of jobs that are dirty and dangerous and the only people willing to do them for cheap are unfortunately the illegals. Hiring Americans for these jobs at "proper" wages would mean going out of business or unaffordable prices that have the same effect. How much illegals cost in health care and public services needs to be looked at but it is disingenuous to suggest that a utopian world is just around the corner if all illegals are deported - in fact it would be the opposite. Lastly nobody seems to understand that there are many Americans who are free riders of the public system too - lots of people don't pay any taxes and get all the public benefits (and ironically these are the very people most vocally against illegals).
Isedkeem, my friend, wonderful post indeed.
Once a person whom I met during a public gathering unexpectedly ended up telling me; "The ilegals are destroying the economy. we have to pay for their health care bla bla bla". I asked him a simple question. "Show me one thing in this room that you can confidently say is made in the US". He couldn't. So I asked him to imagine a company that makes tooth brush in two ways. #1- the company is in the US and employs 200 people (out of that 40 are ilegals) and 160 are therefore citizens. #2- the company is in country X and employs 200 citizens of country X. Which one do you prefer? Ultimately he kind of saw the fault in his reasoning.
But this belief is deep rooted and I think is an inevitable result of the economic shift that is happening in the world now. It is a vicious cycle of events, thoughts, beliefs and resulting actions. The politicians, instead of putting the economic gain to be obtained by CIR out to the public, are focussing on the moral issue which ofcourse people fail to understand in times of adversity.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute

I do not think it is a racist comment, but at the same time it also shows the dislike of illegal immigrants. In today's world where each of us is working hard just to make two ends meet, and to watch another section of society take advantage of the welfare provisions is hurtful. Even those of us who are patiently standing in line need to be worried. There are no sufficient checks and the system is over-whelmed to stem the inflow of illegal immigrants.
What you might want to state to your colleague is show the fact that the current immigration system is broken and needs to be fixed. Talk about the relatively low legal immigration numbers and the backlogs that arise. Also talk of the fact that the government wants to fix the flow of illegal immigrants, but is not in a position to do anything unless the government can pass the CIR, which includes legalizing those that are in today.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light chi_shark is a glorious beacon of light
Default crap!

Your logic is crap and your statements anti-law (if thats a word). Essentially, regardless of what happened 400 years ago when the spaniards came to North America, the whole world is now made of nations which in turn have people and governments. each nation has a constitution and laws of its own. These laws are managed by legislative and judiciary branches and are executed by the police. The most important part is that in most nations, notwithstanding corruption etc, these branches have people's representatives on them. In other words, eligible voters vote for legislators who in turn manage laws.

IF what you say is true, the eligible voters, who in your words are beneficiaries of immigration, would vote for labor to arrive in this country. Thats why we have the INA. What throws everything off balance is the immigrants who come to the US (or any other lawful country) without regard to INA, without regard to police or border security or any other agency created to execute the eligible voter's wish. IF they had followed the law, eligible voters (whether they are dumb or not) would vote for a legislator who promises to bring prices down by either legally allowing immigration or by simply finding alternative means of production/acquisition. By skirting the law, this whole process is sidestepped and eligible voters are deprived their right to improve lives with costs that they can control.

Thats what is the principle. Despite this principle though, there needs to be one major policy malleability (if you will). That deals with the fact that North America was created - not too long ago - with a varied process of inclusion that includes war, purchases and just old fashioned persuasion. Here, I refer to Louisiana purchase and Mexico purchase and the Mexican war. I would not be surprised if under the scope of foreign policy there are better laws to deal with cross border drug trade, crime and such things.

So, please temper your thinking and put yourself in the shoes of the eligible voters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isedkeem View Post
I-140 AD: Jan 2008
I-485 RD: July 20 2007
I-485 ND: Sept 29 2007
EAD: on second EAD
have used AC21

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute
Default How much would an undocumented lawyer charge

My company lawyer wanted $1500 for filing for an extension of my EAD. Since that fee was way too high, I ended up doing the EAD filing myself.

I am curious to know how much would an undocumented lawyer charge for filing EAD extension? Can I assume their fee would be much lower than the fee charged by most of the current legal lawyers here? If that were the case, why are not lawyers arguing for employing undocumented in the legal field, where the fees charged are astronomical to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruben@srrlaw.us View Post
Well said, Isedkeem!!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:58 AM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Botswana
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
isedkeem will become famous soon enough isedkeem will become famous soon enough

Sorry if you don't understand basic economics but I was just explaining what drives illegal immigration. It is Americans who hire illegals for their own benefit because they are cheaper and they will not complain for fear of deportation if they are wronged. Economically, this is similar to an H1-B who will work for many many years at a dead end job for a chance to get a green card. This is the main attraction of an H1-B to a company because apart from possibly lower wages, the company does not have to worry about attrition and the employee will work harder because losing a job can have disastrous consequences for the green card process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_shark View Post
Your logic is crap and your statements anti-law (if thats a word). Essentially, regardless of what happened 400 years ago when the spaniards came to North America, the whole world is now made of nations which in turn have people and governments. each nation has a constitution and laws of its own. These laws are managed by legislative and judiciary branches and are executed by the police. The most important part is that in most nations, notwithstanding corruption etc, these branches have people's representatives on them. In other words, eligible voters vote for legislators who in turn manage laws.

IF what you say is true, the eligible voters, who in your words are beneficiaries of immigration, would vote for labor to arrive in this country. Thats why we have the INA. What throws everything off balance is the immigrants who come to the US (or any other lawful country) without regard to INA, without regard to police or border security or any other agency created to execute the eligible voter's wish. IF they had followed the law, eligible voters (whether they are dumb or not) would vote for a legislator who promises to bring prices down by either legally allowing immigration or by simply finding alternative means of production/acquisition. By skirting the law, this whole process is sidestepped and eligible voters are deprived their right to improve lives with costs that they can control.

Thats what is the principle. Despite this principle though, there needs to be one major policy malleability (if you will). That deals with the fact that North America was created - not too long ago - with a varied process of inclusion that includes war, purchases and just old fashioned persuasion. Here, I refer to Louisiana purchase and Mexico purchase and the Mexican war. I would not be surprised if under the scope of foreign policy there are better laws to deal with cross border drug trade, crime and such things.

So, please temper your thinking and put yourself in the shoes of the eligible voters.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute

Why are we discussing illegal immigration on IV?