Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Ask an Attorney - > Non-Immigrant Visa
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visa This forum is for asking questions from Immigration Attorney.
--------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
--------------------------------------------
By participating in this forum or reviewing or reading a transcript or recording of any forum discussion or conference call, you agree that you have read and understand the following disclaimer:
The information provided in this forum as well as any transcripts or recordings posted on this website or websites of participating law firms or attorneys is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing. The information provided during any conference calls and their transcripts or recordings was pertinent at the time of the conference calls, but may become outdated. We are not responsible in any way for any outdated materials.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS, LAW FIRMS, INDIVIDUALS, OR IMMIGRATION VOICE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONFERENCE CALLS, THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE WHERE TRANSCRIPTS OR RECORDINGS MAY BE POSTED, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 05:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sooner_us is on a distinguished road
Default Urgent - H1B to H4 & H4 back to H1B

My wife received new H1B visa in the year 2007 (I-94 & H1B Visa stamped till Oct 2010), she continued her job till Jan 2009 and after that she was laid-off. I am currently on H1B visa. Now we are planning to change her status to H4. I have following questions:

1. If my wife changes her status to H4 & after few months or a year say by Jan 2010 she gets a job & the employer is ready to file a petition (H1B) for her, will her new H1B be counted against the H1B Cap/Quota? If not, can this transfer of status from H4 back to H1B be done at anytime irrespective of the October month?

2. Does she need to be on H4 status for sometime before she comes back to H1B status? If yes, how long?

3. Since she was on H1B visa once, will the transfer from H4 to H1B visa be considered as a regular H1B Visa transfer?

4. Will the period (months) during which she will be on H4 status be counted towards total H1B visa 6 year limit?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ramaskar is on a distinguished road

1. If my wife changes her status to H4 & after few months or a year say by Jan 2010 she gets a job & the employer is ready to file a petition (H1B) for her, will her new H1B be counted against the H1B Cap/Quota? If not, can this transfer of status from H4 back to H1B be done at anytime irrespective of the October month?

She would not be counted towards Cap/quota. You can apply anytime you want there is no restriction.

2. Does she need to be on H4 status for sometime before she comes back to H1B status? If yes, how long?

You have to wait for her H4 approval before you can apply for H1B that is the only restriction.

3. Since she was on H1B visa once, will the transfer from H4 to H1B visa be considered as a regular H1B Visa transfer?

Don't know

4. Will the period (months) during which she will be on H4 status be counted towards total H1B visa 6 year limit?

Don't Know

Old 01-22-2009, 11:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ajp5 is a glorious beacon of light ajp5 is a glorious beacon of light ajp5 is a glorious beacon of light ajp5 is a glorious beacon of light ajp5 is a glorious beacon of light ajp5 is a glorious beacon of light

Agree with Ramaskar on point 1 and 2

NOT SURE, CANT BE A REGULAR H1B TRANSFER BECAUSE THATS BETWEEN H1B COMPANY TO COMPANY TRANSFER. WHEN YOU ARE READY TO TRANFER FROM H4 TO H1SHE WILL NOT BE SUBJECT TO CAP & TIME OF THE YEAR WILL NOT MATTER. WHEN THE TIME COMES, LAWYER SHOULD KNOW HOW TO FILE

NO

Old 01-23-2009, 07:27 AM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner_us View Post
My wife received new H1B visa in the year 2007 (I-94 & H1B Visa stamped till Oct 2010), she continued her job till Jan 2009 and after that she was laid-off. I am currently on H1B visa. Now we are planning to change her status to H4.
I have following questions:
1. If my wife changes her status to H4 & after few months or a year say by Jan 2010 she gets a job & the employer is ready to file a petition (H1B) for her, will her new H1B be counted against the H1B Cap/Quota?
No.
If not, can this transfer of status from H4 back to H1B be done at anytime irrespective of the October month?
That's correct.

She needs to change to H4 status as she is not in H1-B Status anymore. Her new employer can file for change of H1 status anytime. The change of status H1 can be filed even when H4 change of status is pending. There is no restriction that one needs to wait for H4 approval before filing for a new change of status for H1-B based on new job offer.

This will be exempt from quota.

No.
My reply is in Blue ...

Last edited by desi3933; 01-23-2009 at 07:29 AM.