Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Ask an Attorney - > Non-Immigrant Visa
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visa This forum is for asking questions from Immigration Attorney.
--------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
--------------------------------------------
By participating in this forum or reviewing or reading a transcript or recording of any forum discussion or conference call, you agree that you have read and understand the following disclaimer:
The information provided in this forum as well as any transcripts or recordings posted on this website or websites of participating law firms or attorneys is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing. The information provided during any conference calls and their transcripts or recordings was pertinent at the time of the conference calls, but may become outdated. We are not responsible in any way for any outdated materials.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS, LAW FIRMS, INDIVIDUALS, OR IMMIGRATION VOICE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONFERENCE CALLS, THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE WHERE TRANSCRIPTS OR RECORDINGS MAY BE POSTED, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 05:08 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sganny is a splendid one to behold sganny is a splendid one to behold sganny is a splendid one to behold sganny is a splendid one to behold sganny is a splendid one to behold sganny is a splendid one to behold sganny is a splendid one to behold sganny is a splendid one to behold
Default L1 to H1B - COS Question

Hi,

I work for company A and am on L1B visa right now. Company A has agreed to do my L1B to H1B COS processing. I am able to do the conversion outside of the yearly cap and can convert to H1B right away instead of waiting till Oct 1st for the H1B to become effective.

I am interviewing with another company, Company B and they might be ready to do my H1B processing as well. Obviously Company A is not aware of this and I do not want the COS processing by Company A to stop.

My questions

1) If I get an I-94 from both the processing, which will be a valid I-94? the latter one or both?

2) Is it ok for two companies to process COS at the same time?

3) If for some reason Company B's COS is faster than company A's, is it possible to cancel the Company A petition while it is being processed?

4) Is it best for me to wait to get Company A's H1B done and then transfer to Company B? Do I have to wait to get 2 pay stubs in order to do the transfer or can I use the current pay stub because I am right now workign for Company A?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
shinobu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sganny View Post
Hi,

I work for company A and am on L1B visa right now. Company A has agreed to do my L1B to H1B COS processing. I am able to do the conversion outside of the yearly cap and can convert to H1B right away instead of waiting till Oct 1st for the H1B to become effective.

I am interviewing with another company, Company B and they might be ready to do my H1B processing as well. Obviously Company A is not aware of this and I do not want the COS processing by Company A to stop.

My questions

1) If I get an I-94 from both the processing, which will be a valid I-94? the latter one or both?

2) Is it ok for two companies to process COS at the same time?

3) If for some reason Company B's COS is faster than company A's, is it possible to cancel the Company A petition while it is being processed?

4) Is it best for me to wait to get Company A's H1B done and then transfer to Company B? Do I have to wait to get 2 pay stubs in order to do the transfer or can I use the current pay stub because I am right now workign for Company A?
1) It depends upon the circumstances, but generally speaking, the latter issued I-94 card is the one that controls, under the so-called "last action doctrine." Whether this "doctrine" has any genuine legal standing is debatable, but the safest assumption is that the last-issued I-94 card is the one that controls your status.

2) It's OK in the sense that it's lawful, but it may have consequences - see 1).

3) It's possible, but not likely -- you should not count on this.

4) To be honest, it's not best to play one company off of the other, keeping the information from both sides. I'm not getting into issues of morality or ethics (though there is that), but just your own self-interest. Too much paper flying around the USCIS with your name on it can lead to unintended consequences. If a subsequently-filed petition by Company B screws up your NIV status gained with Company A (or vice versa), and all this comes to light to either or both employers after the fact, you might just get fired from both.
San Francisco, CA 94133-5160
T: 800.780.2008 F: 415.704.3443
dhorne@jackson-hertogs.com
www.jackson-hertogs.com
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote