Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Ask an Attorney - > Non-Immigrant Visa
Click to log in with Facebook
Non-Immigrant Visa This forum is for asking questions from Immigration Attorney.
--------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
--------------------------------------------
By participating in this forum or reviewing or reading a transcript or recording of any forum discussion or conference call, you agree that you have read and understand the following disclaimer:
The information provided in this forum as well as any transcripts or recordings posted on this website or websites of participating law firms or attorneys is of a general nature and may not apply to any particular set of facts or to all circumstances. It should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of any participating attorneys or in any way establish an attorney-client relationship with any participating attorneys. You should not rely solely upon information that you may receive during any conference calls, or any transcripts or recordings of conference calls. You should consult an attorney of your choosing to obtain advice for your particular situation. Laws and regulations are constantly changing. The information provided during any conference calls and their transcripts or recordings was pertinent at the time of the conference calls, but may become outdated. We are not responsible in any way for any outdated materials.
IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY PARTICIPATING ATTORNEYS, LAW FIRMS, INDIVIDUALS, OR IMMIGRATION VOICE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONFERENCE CALLS, THE USE OF THIS WEBSITE, OR ANY OTHER WEBSITE WHERE TRANSCRIPTS OR RECORDINGS MAY BE POSTED, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2015, 07:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bobvisa is on a distinguished road
Default H4 to H1 to H4

Below is My status, can you please suggest your input:

I came to us on Jan 2014 and My H4 visa is valid until Oct 2016(Stamped using my Husbands I797 approval notice)

on Oct 2014, my H1B is approved and i started working the same month. I lost my job on march 2015 and due to some family concerns, i decided to change status back to H4. I applied COS by filling I-539 with all the necessary documents - my pay checks, my husbands documents etc on April 29th 2015. I got my receipt from USCIS and my online status shows "Case was received". I contacted USCIS recently and they said they will open a SR to get my case status as it already took more than their regular processing time. I researched online and looks like COS is taking time. Now i have to travel to india in the month of December.

Below are my questions:

I have a valid VISA stamp (H4) till Oct 2016, Can i travel to india during December and come back in january 2016 without going to stamping again? I'm not sure what my status now will be as i applied for COS and still waiting on the approval.

or

Will i have to go for h4 stamping again even though i have a valid stamp because i changed my status ?

Please suggest. Thanks in advance.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2015, 11:31 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Help Please

Old 11-15-2015, 12:52 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Bumping post

Old 11-15-2015, 01:25 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
abcdgc is a name known to all abcdgc is a name known to all abcdgc is a name known to all abcdgc is a name known to all abcdgc is a name known to all abcdgc is a name known to all

I am not an immigration lawyer (which is good because I hate them), but based on your description, you will have to get H-4 visa stamp again.

When you changed to H1 status, the H-4 visa stamp on your passport became invalid. So that visa stamp (even though the validity period has not elapsed) is no longer valid. It is going to be slight discomfort to go for visa stamping, but I think it is necessary.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:55 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
wetfeet80 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobvisa View Post
Below are my questions:

I have a valid VISA stamp (H4) till Oct 2016, Can i travel to india during December and come back in january 2016 without going to stamping again? I'm not sure what my status now will be as i applied for COS and still waiting on the approval.

or

Will i have to go for h4 stamping again even though i have a valid stamp because i changed my status ?

Please suggest. Thanks in advance.
Once you leave your current petition for status change will become invalid and you dont have to worry about it.

You dont have to go for H4 stamping again as your H4 is still valid till Oct 2016. In fact you could have just crossed the border to Canada or Mexico and reentered using your H4 instead of filing for H1->H4 status change.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetfeet80 View Post
Once you leave your current petition for status change will become invalid and you dont have to worry about it.

You dont have to go for H4 stamping again as your H4 is still valid till Oct 2016. In fact you could have just crossed the border to Canada or Mexico and reentered using your H4 instead of filing for H1->H4 status change.
Thank you. I contacted an immigration lawyer this morning and he told me the same thing as you said. No need to go for VISA stamping again.