Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Interesting Topics
Click to log in with Facebook
Interesting Topics This forum is to discuss any topic of interest to members and to gossip about anything that members prefer. All the terms of the forum and terms of use of the website do apply to this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute injrav has a reputation beyond repute
Default my experience-- I live in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyKoochu View Post
We went to LODI, they are open till 12.00 on Saturday, however if you are not in early then there is a 1 hour line just to enter. Being an early riser helps We used to typically reach there by 9.00 so that did not help our cause greatly.

Visit 1 - Was able to collect the forms and fill them, however too late for verification.
Visit 2 - Verification asked to get SSN denial letter as my wife is on H4.
Visit 3 - Verification done & paid fee but too late for test token.
Visit 4 - Test token received finally but too many people waiting for test.
Visit 5 - Written test taken and passed. However late in submitting results.
Visit 6 - Result submitted , photographed and license obtained the same day.

Weekend is a rush day, so maybe if your wife can go on a weekday it will be good. BTW the written test is comprehensive and conceptual, 80% is the passing. I have seen many people flunk.
its not to hurt any one.. but I am giving my experience
I live in New jersey.. in an apartment 90% of people from Indian origin... I moved here on one year back from Boston... When my wife met with neighbors,, they said they have license since few years,, but they donot dare to enter US-1 highway .. One lady simply tried to over take SCHOOL BUS and got ticket... And one lady hit the man while pulling car from parking.. One more lady failed properly stop on STOP sign and then hit the boy.... So,, I strongly BEG/SUGGEST brothers,, please encourage your spouses to take actual road test and then drive on US roads.. Remember we all are your brothers and sisters ,, so donot enter into roads with out actually knowing the US driving
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by injrav View Post
I live in New jersey.. in an apartment 90% of people from Indian origin... I moved here on one year back from Boston... When my wife met with neighbors,, they said they have license since few years,, but they donot dare to enter US-1 highway .. One lady simply tried to over take SCHOOL BUS and got ticket... And one lady hit the man while pulling car from parking.. One more lady failed properly stop on STOP sign and then hit the boy.... So,, I strongly BEG/SUGGEST brothers,, please encourage your spouses to take actual road test and then drive on US roads.. Remember we all are your brothers and sisters ,, so donot enter into roads with out actually knowing the US driving
I personally know few examples in NJ like what you mentioned!

States like Maryland are on the other extreme. A learners permit is followed by 9 months wait time during which you are expected to put in 60 hours behind the wheel (outside of driving school) plus a 30 hour classroom session in driving school plus 4 hours of behind the wheel session with instructor plus 2 hours mock road test during which your instructor would give a grade (80% is required).

Then you take Road test which includes parallel parking and reverse two point turn in a closed circuit followed by a road test. After all this, they still give provisional license for 18 months during which the driver is expected to be citation free for converting it into a full license.

Note this is for someone who doesn't have IDP.

After going thru this ordeal, my wife (passed in third attempt) is confident enough to drive a mini-van on the highway!

Some of our neighbors avoided this by conveniently getting DL from nearby states using their friends address! :-)

Old 11-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
harish.preethi is infamous around these parts
Default Road test in NJ

Do I need to take the Road test in Randolph DMV New Jeresy if I have a Indian Driving Licence along with an International Licence.Pls reply

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/02/2011
Compare
gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute
Default I know that road test is not needed in North Bergen NJ

I have been living in NJ for long time and had few of family members get done it without road test in North Bergen NJ office. It is depend on location. Closed friend of mine was required to appear for road test in Southern NJ location ( Near by Trenton Area ). North bergen was issuing in 2011 , hope it is still same.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
seetheavatar has a reputation beyond repute seetheavatar has a reputation beyond repute seetheavatar has a reputation beyond repute seetheavatar has a reputation beyond repute seetheavatar has a reputation beyond repute seetheavatar has a reputation beyond repute seetheavatar has a reputation beyond repute seetheavatar has a reputation beyond repute seetheavatar has a reputation beyond repute seetheavatar has a reputation beyond repute seetheavatar has a reputation beyond repute
Default in short yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by harish.preethi View Post
Do I need to take the Road test in Randolph DMV New Jeresy if I have a Indian Driving Licence along with an International Licence.Pls reply
Don't listen to people suggesting you not to take and asking you to go to specific locations. Try taking the driving test.There are 2 reasons to it.
1.Its fun.
2.You actually learn the rules and obey the law and have the confidence to drive.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by seetheavatar View Post
Don't listen to people suggesting you not to take and asking you to go to specific locations. Try taking the driving test.There are 2 reasons to it.
1.Its fun.
2.You actually learn the rules and obey the law and have the confidence to drive.
In retrospect, yes, I would say this is true. Once you do this you are more fully confident and know how to cross your t's and dot your i's. Go for this.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by injrav View Post
I find this a drawback of our community.. to express love for close ones they are willing to demonstrate in areas such as this. I had a roommate once who divulged my admin password to a boy who was from his own state, and as a result my PC got messed up. Gawd, that separate admin account was there for a reason! Friends, do avoid crossing the lines. If you truly love your close ones then try to make it painless for them by taking the pains and actually teaching them, not wimp out and enable them to cheat or in any way take the wrong approach

Old 04-23-2013, 07:01 PM
Facebook User
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bharathdude is on a distinguished road

My spouse did not take the road test since she had a DL from India printed in English.
Weather or not a road test is really needed depends on the confidence levels of the person driving. There are so many people who come for few weeks on business visa and they dont need a DL to drive here. Are nt they all doing fine? So in similar way Road test may not be needed at all but if the driver is not confident, it would be required or atleast few hours of training is required.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:52 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts sunil9911 is infamous around these parts
Smile Bullock-cart

I know, there will be many consequences when a person drive a car who supposed to drive bullock-cart.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute Flyingcrow has a reputation beyond repute

If somebody is used to driving in India, they must think about taking atleast 2 or 3 classes. This is not about the ability of a driver, but switching from Left side driving to Right side, sometimes is too confusing certain people, that I have seen people going the wrong way. (I was on the passenger then, and then my colleague who had always driven in India, took the plunge in the wrong direction. - We were just fortunate).

And for two other reasons - getting accustomed to Higher Speed, Lane changing, riding among 6+ wheels vehicles, Exit and Entry. And for GOD SAKE look out for MOTORCYCLES. AND have discipline not to multitask behind the wheel. (A lady text'ing behind her SUV, killed my Manager on his motorcycle on impact, an year back).

I had 6 yrs driving experience in India, still I took 3 sessions before appearing for the license. Same again for Motorcycle, took the Safety course.

I personally, don't think it is smart save money, when it is Safety that is in question - of both the operator, those riding with and others.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
808hiflip is infamous around these parts 808hiflip is infamous around these parts 808hiflip is infamous around these parts 808hiflip is infamous around these parts 808hiflip is infamous around these parts 808hiflip is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymit View Post
Guys,

My wife is going to give her DL test this weekend in NJ. Although I had to give a written exam and pass a road test for my DL, I have been hearing stories that nowadays some centers give you the DL just after passing the written test - No Road Test needed. While am not against giving a road test, I think it will be pretty sweet to get the DL right after passing the written exam. She does have a valid Indian DL (in english) in case that helps.

Can you guys share your experience with DMV and tell me in your opinion which DMV office is better in this regard?
sunnymit,

i think the more your wife needs to take the road test coming from driving and used to from the right side. driving shouldnt only be about thinking for yourself, you have responsibility to other motorist also. sure it would be nice to have license after passing written exam, but i think anyone on the right age for driving would pass that but not everyone will pass the road test. like someone here pointed out lots of things to consider, driving in different direction now, left side driving, exits, speed limits, etc. if indeed your wife can drive and shes confident and really knows how as she has a license already, then taking and passing the road test shouldnt be a problem. "Haste makes waste"

Old 04-15-2014, 12:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ranjithpanakal is on a distinguished road
Default Got license without road test

Hey,

I used to drive in my country and holds a four wheeler license from 2003.
Migrated to this country last year and got NJ license without road test.

Failed in the first attempt of permit test though. I was a little overconfident and went without much going through the drivers manual. Got 39 correct answers out of 50 and failed

The next week I went with well prepared, passed and got the license

I went to DMV in Bayonne.