Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Interesting Topics
Click to log in with Facebook
Interesting Topics This forum is to discuss any topic of interest to members and to gossip about anything that members prefer. All the terms of the forum and terms of use of the website do apply to this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/02/2011
Compare
gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute
Default I think they will compromise on Dream Act

During lame duck session , Dems will not push for CIR and Republican will oppose it.

They will come to compromise on Dream Act. Chances are there some pro legal - immigrant republican may add Visa recapture.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute Hello_Hello has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nothing is going to pass : sentimental is Anti-immigrant

Democrats or republican....doesn't matter. Nothing is going to pass. Read the writings on the walls, understand the ruler's and administration's body language it's all Anti-immigrant. Why do you think there are so many queries on everything, EAD harassment. They are harrassing us for everthing, just for 1 plain reason, they don't want us here. And you guys are talking of CIR ..huh!!!

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Piece meal bills

Piece meal is our best/only option for the next 2 years. We have to keep track of the legal bills being introduced and campaign for them. I don't think CIR will make it in lameduck too. Republicans would like to enforce border security and employer, internal monitoring, before any king of path to legal status for illegals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujan_vatrapu View Post
lets stop this rhetoric on repubs, what about bobby jindal, marco rubio & nick haley and plz don't give explanations to distort the reality, many in the republicans sincerely support legal immigration, tell me few good things dems did to legal immigrants, aint regan the one who gave amnesty to illegals in 80s, aint bush the one who tried more than once to pass CIR, who opposed h1b fee increase recently?
Yes I agree, we should be neutral on party as an organization. Also the enhanced H1b, monitoring RFE, etc was introduced due to body shops misusing visas and not paying on bench. Think of it as an extended background check due to the misuse.
I feel republicans would sincerely welcome qualified immigrants. Some of their views on protecting the border have been distorted out of propotion due to politics.
What we need to do is enhance our reputation with both Republicans and Democrats and get them to help us.

Last edited by tonyHK12; 11-03-2010 at 10:38 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
realist is a name known to all realist is a name known to all realist is a name known to all realist is a name known to all realist is a name known to all realist is a name known to all

Republicans with the help of the tea party is going to (or try to) move the country extreme right...........this election just made things complicated!

If you hear both the republicans and tea party - they talk of sticking to core principles. Their principles have not been very good to the middle class..........

This election has emboldened the republicans and further chickened the democrats - the need for compromise is lost...........

CIR may be dead/alive; piecemeal may be the option - either way, meeting with lawmakers to take up our issues just intensified. Especially if piecemeal is the way to go, we have to be meeting with every senator and congressman seeking and getting the support - because not only will the anti immigrants oppose it, we probably will have to fight of the CHC too.
Our community does not have the money or representation in the govt, so our only hope is the aggressive and consistent participation in grassroot efforts and advocate for changes with the lawmakers.

just my .02 cents...

Old 11-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gcwait_07 is an unknown quantity at this point

To all those republican homies on this thread....

a) Republican base is not you and me, in case you haven't noticed they either cater to big biz or to a specific "kind" of Americans.

b) Tea Party is basically opposed to many things including free trade and immigration. Like any other politician they might change when they have power, if they don't then hope things don't get worse.

c) Nikki Haley and Bobby Jindal don't represent us, they are American for all practical purposes. If anything they have distanced themselves from any indian heritage in their campaigns. Nothing to expect here.

d) Who is grassley who keeps making things tougher for us ? Not a democrat on last check.

e) In this era of high unemployment, of around 17% why would any party touch anything remotely connected to a despicable term called "H1B" ? Suicidal ?

Obama had a brilliant opportunity the first 2 years to do something, but he spent all his political capital on health care and financial reform. An opportunity lost.

The republican party of now is not the party during 80's or otherwise, they are a bunch of people who believe evolution is a myth with Sarah Palin as their leader, add the tea party element and they are about as right as you can get.

Forget about any bills, just hope there is no federal government lockout and USCIS stops working for a month.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/14/2007
Compare
vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute vedicman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"Obviously the GOP had a big night tonight, maybe historical," said Craig Shirley, a Ronald Reagan biographer and longtime GOP adviser. "However, they ran largely as anti-Obama, which is not a governing philosophy. I say 'maybe historical' because the voters went for the Republicans for what they opposed and not what they proposed. History is made by what you do and not by what you won't do.

"Beginning on Wednesday, the GOP will have to decide what it stands for and what it will offer the American people."
Quote:
This election is nonetheless significant for several reasons. First, the House of Representative has now switched hands between the two major parties three times in the last nine elections. This suggests that volatility in the House of Representatives is now a constant in political life. It is unlikely that in the near future either party will dominate the House the way the Democrats did for much of the last seven decades of the 20th Century. The Republicans may hold on to the House longer than the Democrats just have, but it will likely be only for a handful of terms, not a handful of decades as the Democrats did between 1955-1994.

Second, and more importantly, with control of the government now divided between the two parties, it will no longer be easy for the Republicans to blame the Democrats for the state of the economy. Nor will it be possible for the Republicans to simply say no to everything that is proposed in Washington. That strategy was useful when the Republicans were completely out of power, but the context has now changed.

This may lead to better bipartisan cooperation in Washington, but that is unlikely, particularly given the a real possibility that economic recovery will not happen by 2012, not because of the failure of politicians in Washington to address the problem, but because of the depth and seriousness of the problem itself. Given the difficulty of fixing the economy, even if both parties were willing to cooperate towards that end, the more potent strategy would be for both parties to increase the partisan rancor in Washington by blaming each other, accusing the other side of destroying the country and the like.
Dug the hole for 8 years, expect prosperity in 18 months!!!!

Old 11-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sujan_vatrapu has a brilliant future sujan_vatrapu has a brilliant future sujan_vatrapu has a brilliant future sujan_vatrapu has a brilliant future sujan_vatrapu has a brilliant future sujan_vatrapu has a brilliant future sujan_vatrapu has a brilliant future sujan_vatrapu has a brilliant future sujan_vatrapu has a brilliant future sujan_vatrapu has a brilliant future sujan_vatrapu has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedicman View Post
we can argue both ways, democratic party was not rejected because of the economic mess, even today lot of voters are angry at bush for the mess, the issue here is WH is completely out of touch with the main street, why spend 2 years on health care when ppl dont have jobs to afford basic necessities, the less we talk about stimulus the better, ppl dont like someone who don't listen and arrogantly say what ever they do is for the good without showing any progress (hmmm, reminds me of bush but hell dint we vote for change?) or say voters are ignorant,

bush is not the whole problem, democrats are in the majority since 2006 and look at the deficits since then, wars costed US trillion dollars which is less than annual deficits under the current president, i agree he does not own the deficit problem completely but he dint help to fix it either, bush dint sign "glass-seagall" act which caused the whole mess in the first place, clinton was the one who pushed the initiative "housing to minorities" and his administration wanted to push it through freddie and fannie and the rest is history,

point is demonizing one of the parties is not going to help, both contributed to the mess and neither of them has bigger share

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sujan_vatrapu has a brilliant future sujan_vatrapu has a brilliant future sujan_vatrapu has a brilliant future sujan_vatrapu has a brilliant future sujan_vatrapu has a brilliant future sujan_vatrapu has a brilliant future sujan_vatrapu has a brilliant future sujan_vatrapu has a brilliant future sujan_vatrapu has a brilliant future sujan_vatrapu has a brilliant future sujan_vatrapu has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcwait_07 View Post
To all those republican homies on this thread....

a) Republican base is not you and me, in case you haven't noticed they either cater to big biz or to a specific "kind" of Americans.
but that specific kind is now the majority, the senate seats they lost are because of the extreme views of the candidates

Quote:
b) Tea Party is basically opposed to many things including free trade and immigration. Like any other politician they might change when they have power, if they don't then hope things don't get worse.
i agree with you but lets hope they change

Quote:
c) Nikki Haley and Bobby Jindal don't represent us, they are American for all practical purposes. If anything they have distanced themselves from any indian heritage in their campaigns. Nothing to expect here.
so are thousands of desis who got GCs recently, most of desis who get GC immediately become anti-immigrant, not sure why but they start protesting h1b programs, oppose visa recapture and so on, not everyone but my personal experience is really bad,

Quote:
d) Who is grassley who keeps making things tougher for us ? Not a democrat on last check.
but dick durbin is

[quote]
e) In this era of high unemployment, of around 17% why would any party touch anything remotely connected to a despicable term called "H1B" ? Suicidal ?

Obama had a brilliant opportunity the first 2 years to do something, but he spent all his political capital on health care and financial reform. An opportunity lost.

The republican party of now is not the party during 80's or otherwise, they are a bunch of people who believe evolution is a myth with Sarah Palin as their leader, add the tea party element and they are about as right as you can get.

Forget about any bills, just hope there is no federal government lockout and USCIS stops working for a month.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute bigboy007 has a reputation beyond repute

all it matters is what individual members will vote if we have time we should go and meet our lawmakers who ever runs for president in 2012 will have this in his/her campaign.. but who ever becomes the president its the congress which does the voting and decides the fate of the bills.. only if we have more ppl meeting with each of lawmakers on regular basis we have some future either with CIR or w/o CIR via piecemeal

Last edited by bigboy007; 11-03-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
immig4me has a brilliant future immig4me has a brilliant future immig4me has a brilliant future immig4me has a brilliant future immig4me has a brilliant future immig4me has a brilliant future immig4me has a brilliant future immig4me has a brilliant future immig4me has a brilliant future immig4me has a brilliant future immig4me has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedicman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sujan_vatrapu View Post
we can argue both ways, democratic party was not rejected because of the economic mess, even today lot of voters are angry at bush for the mess, the issue here is WH is completely out of touch with the main street, why spend 2 years on health care when ppl dont have jobs to afford basic necessities, the less we talk about stimulus the better, ppl dont like someone who don't listen and arrogantly say what ever they do is for the good without showing any progress (hmmm, reminds me of bush but hell dint we vote for change?) or say voters are ignorant,

bush is not the whole problem, democrats are in the majority since 2006 and look at the deficits since then, wars costed US trillion dollars which is less than annual deficits under the current president, i agree he does not own the deficit problem completely but he dint help to fix it either, bush dint sign "glass-seagall" act which caused the whole mess in the first place, clinton was the one who pushed the initiative "housing to minorities" and his administration wanted to push it through freddie and fannie and the rest is history,

point is demonizing one of the parties is not going to help, both contributed to the mess and neither of them has bigger share
You are missing the point! Vedicman is presenting the case that expecting things to be on the upswing in 18 months is not realstic!

As for what this administration has done read Lincoln Mitchell: What Really Happened Tuesday Night.

On a second note, it is easy to sit in any position and criticize the president (this applies to bush too) however, what this president is doing is far better in the long run for this country (if we decide to stay) than any other potential candidates.....

Also saw your wish of Obama loosing in 2012 - assuming he ran and his opponent will either be Sarah Palin or Newt Gingrich - just thinking of it gives me shivers! chills! cold! cough! and high fever! (if not more) I urge you to think twice before you wish for something.

This is all politics....lets forget that....everyone in this forum are in the same boat and the fact is for our issues we need both houses of congress and parties to support - so lets work on it.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sasidhar79 is infamous around these parts sasidhar79 is infamous around these parts sasidhar79 is infamous around these parts sasidhar79 is infamous around these parts sasidhar79 is infamous around these parts

President Obama is not just far left.

He is far too liberal(left) fiscally and far too conservative(right) socially.

What does that say ? No relief for us from him, we should look forward for someone else to help us.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bill S0185 active again (Please call your Senators for support)

It is high time, we support this initiative from Senator Menendez.

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/fo...ml#post2013464 (Bill S0185 active again (Please call your Senators for support))

"It seems that the bill S 1085 (the Reuniting Families Act (RFA) has become active again. I received e-mails from Senator Menedez and Senator Lautenberg talking about the bill. Senator Menendex mentioned the recapture employment-based visas that haven't been used in past years so that they may be used in future years. Among other things, he also mentioned that he will continue to address the concerns of employment-based visas in the context of comprehensive immigration reform. He is the sponsor of the S 1085 bill.

Senetor Lautenberg mentioned "Under current immigration law, employment-based immigration is limited to 140,000 visas, or green cards, per year. The process for obtaining employment-based visas can take years to complete, causing many of these visas to go unused. There is also an annual per-country limit that caps at seven percent the number of employment-based immigrants that can come from any one country. In some instances, this per-country cap causes employers to consider country of origin, not talent, when hiring foreign workers.

A bill has been introduced in the Senate that would address some of these delays and caps. The “Reuniting American Families Act” (S. 1085) would recapture unused employment-based visas from prior years. This bill would allow the Department of Homeland Security to issue any unused visas from Fiscal Years 1992-2007 and in the future roll over any unused visas from one year to the next. It would also increase the per-country cap for employment-based visas to ten percent of the annual total."

It seems that Senator Menendez is doing a lot of work to bring relief to all immigrants including employment based. It may be brought in the lame-duck session in December.

Please call your Senators to co-sponsor/support this bill."

Old 11-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute Rajeev has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sorry, the correct bill number is S1085 and not S0185.

Sorry, the correct bill number is S1085 and not S0185.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev View Post

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/fo...ml#post2013464 (Bill S0185 active again (Please call your Senators for support))

"It seems that the bill S 1085 (the Reuniting Families Act (RFA) has become active again. I received e-mails from Senator Menedez and Senator Lautenberg talking about the bill. Senator Menendex mentioned the recapture employment-based visas that haven't been used in past years so that they may be used in future years. Among other things, he also mentioned that he will continue to address the concerns of employment-based visas in the context of comprehensive immigration reform. He is the sponsor of the S 1085 bill.

Senetor Lautenberg mentioned "Under current immigration law, employment-based immigration is limited to 140,000 visas, or green cards, per year. The process for obtaining employment-based visas can take years to complete, causing many of these visas to go unused. There is also an annual per-country limit that caps at seven percent the number of employment-based immigrants that can come from any one country. In some instances, this per-country cap causes employers to consider country of origin, not talent, when hiring foreign workers.

A bill has been introduced in the Senate that would address some of these delays and caps. The “Reuniting American Families Act” (S. 1085) would recapture unused employment-based visas from prior years. This bill would allow the Department of Homeland Security to issue any unused visas from Fiscal Years 1992-2007 and in the future roll over any unused visas from one year to the next. It would also increase the per-country cap for employment-based visas to ten percent of the annual total."

It seems that Senator Menendez is doing a lot of work to bring relief to all immigrants including employment based. It may be brought in the lame-duck session in December.

Is it updated in Thomas, govtrack, etc? I didn't find it..

Old 11-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jan-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/02/2011
Compare
gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute gc_on_demand has a reputation beyond repute
Default no offence but is this latest news or copy paste ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev View Post

Check it out :

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/fo...r-support.html (Bill S0185 active again (Please call your Senators for support))