Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Interesting Topics
Click to log in with Facebook
Interesting Topics This forum is to discuss any topic of interest to members and to gossip about anything that members prefer. All the terms of the forum and terms of use of the website do apply to this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/05/2007
Compare
crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of
Default Hire a laid-off Immigrant

Ladies & Gents,

I have been laid off for almost 2 months now. Filed my 485 in the July fiasco and have an EAD valid till 2010. Looking for a job pretty desperately now and have been trying all kinds of creative solutions when it hit me to try this community and see if there are folks who can actually help each other out besides providing information on immigration, tax, house, etc. matters.

While there have been many divisive threads over the years, I believe this is an effort that everyone can come together as a community for. We are all in the same boat and (god forbid) this could very well happen to you tomorrow. At this point I really do not know how this effort should be structured so am more than eager to listen to people or let someone more motivated than me to take charge.

I'd suggest that each laid off person post some details about himself/herself here (Location, skillset, years of experience, etc) and if there are folks who know of an opening or believe that they can otherwise help the person out, please contact the person directly via a Private Message.

Good luck to everyone in your job search!!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2009, 10:32 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Jun-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/04/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
10/06/2003
Compare
Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute Administrator2 has a reputation beyond repute

crazyghonda,

Please let us know how IV can help to create this support network. We will do everything possible. Also, you can use the blogs area to post about yourself. Additionally, we have 'job networking' group in Social Networking area -
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/group.php?groupid=1

We very much understand and share your concern and are ready to everything possible.

Thanks,

Old 01-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/05/2007
Compare
crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of crazyghoda has much to be proud of
Default My background

To start this effort out, here is my info.

- I am an IT Consultant with over 11+ years of total IT experience. I live in Chicago. My primary skillset is that of a Sr. Business Analyst and Project Manager. I specialize in Agile Methodologies especially Scrum and XP. Have consulted with Fortune 100 as well as small start-ups.
- Would prefer permanent positions but am open to shorter contracts (including Contract to Hire, Corp-Corp, etc.)
- Looking primarily for work in the Chicago area but am open to travel nationwide on a Mon-Fri basis (My clients typically cover my travel expenses but if the rate is decent enough, I can cover it myself)
- Have an EAD till mid 2010
- Will consider relocating for the right position. I own my place and selling in this market is not an appealing thought so this is the last possible option.

Please PM me if you know of any positions that havent been openly advertised as yet.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:34 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute

Let us all try to help each other and post their qualifications and also if someone gets a lead on IV social networking area for job networking

Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Mailing List

===================
I do not give legal advice. You can pay and get it from Lawyers. Just show me some love and click the links above to help ImmigrationVoice any way you choose.
-----------

Old 01-24-2009, 11:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future
Default Few Suggestions

If you have not already tried these:

Look for postings on indeed.com...this site actually pulls data from various sites...you might also have contacts of the recruiters in the postings sometimes.

Also there is Monster,Corp-Corp.com,Dice, Hotjobs,Net-temps. You can look up the recruiter info from the postings and call them to see if they have any openings.

I also sent you a PM.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyghoda View Post
To start this effort out, here is my info.

- I am an IT Consultant with over 11+ years of total IT experience. I live in Chicago. My primary skillset is that of a Sr. Business Analyst and Project Manager. I specialize in Agile Methodologies especially Scrum and XP. Have consulted with Fortune 100 as well as small start-ups.
- Would prefer permanent positions but am open to shorter contracts (including Contract to Hire, Corp-Corp, etc.)
- Looking primarily for work in the Chicago area but am open to travel nationwide on a Mon-Fri basis (My clients typically cover my travel expenses but if the rate is decent enough, I can cover it myself)
- Have an EAD till mid 2010
- Will consider relocating for the right position. I own my place and selling in this market is not an appealing thought so this is the last possible option.

Please PM me if you know of any positions that havent been openly advertised as yet.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future ita has a brilliant future
Default Blogs

Pappu,

I was wondering if it is possible to have a' Recent Blog entries' area on Home page just like 'Recent Forum Posts'

If that is possible then we can push all non-immigration related stuff into blog area and since they also show up on main page those entries would also get same attention from interested folks like threads do.(Hopefully)It would also take care of all the folks that keep getting offended by non-immi threads ( folks who kind of keep threatening to leave IV because of this).

I never go to check the Blogs and I don't know if there are people like me there.But I would have surely gone to check those blogs (if title was catchy)if it showed up on main page. In fact I think first time I went to the blogs area was when you posted that cricket thing.

Since Admin2 mentioned using Blog area in the post above I thought of adding my suggestion here instead of opening another thread.

Of course this is just a suggestion.If it is too much work/if it is not possible then please ignore it.

Thank you.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:47 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute

Why dont we also create a separate area for job postings, referral or any related information.
# Contact the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ice.gov) by telephone at (866) DHS-2-ICE. The hotline is designed specifically to accept immigration violation reports. You can complain anonymously.

Fraud Detection and National Security (FDNS) Directorate
111 Massachusetts Ave., NW Suite 7002,
Mail Stop 2280 Washington,
D.C. 20529-2280
FDNS@dhs.gov
filing without current PD

Old 01-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/16/2007
Chargeability
:
Cyprus
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
gapala is infamous around these parts gapala is infamous around these parts
Default snathan's idea is a good one

Its a great idea to create a job posting section on the website. I am sure over the period of time, we will be able to attract the recruiters on to this website along side dice and other job related sites. We have a good number of skilled folks on this site.. Hopefully this will provide is potential add revenue as well... may be I am streatching it far.. but something to think about.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sent a PM

please check. Not sure if you are on the IL chapter Mailing List. Once you are on there, you can email there to see if people know about opportunities in Chicago/IL.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2007
Compare
ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute
Smile craiglist.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by ita View Post
If you have not already tried these:

Look for postings on indeed.com...this site actually pulls data from various sites...you might also have contacts of the recruiters in the postings sometimes.

Also there is Monster,Corp-Corp.com,Dice, Hotjobs,Net-temps. You can look up the recruiter info from the postings and call them to see if they have any openings.

I also sent you a PM.

Hope this helps.
Besides the above please try on linkedin network and also try on craiglist.org.
I am not sure about this site but I recently read a lot about people posting their resumes in myspace.com.

Good luck.
To contribute, please click here: http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/misc.php?do=donate

https://twitter.com/
https://www.facebook.com/
http://immigrationvoice.org/wiki/ind...282011-2012%29

Got Greened in October 2013.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/05/2007
Compare

I do use LinkedIn pretty extensively and have actually managed to get atleast interview calls by going through folks from those firms that are in my network. The person referring you makes some $$ and you get some kind of priority treatment being an employee referral.

I wasnt aware of regular jobs on craigslist. (Always thought that was more of a hook-up spot ) but will definitely check it out. Thanks!

Old 01-25-2009, 10:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute anilsal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Craigslist

Quote:

I wasnt aware of regular jobs on craigslist. (Always thought that was more of a hook-up spot ) but will definitely check it out. Thanks!
is the first website for the state of CA (AFAIR). It was started in 1995 or so. There are some negative things associated with CL, but it is a great resource for the general public. An example, in 2004, I had to sell an old car. Using CL, I sold it in a day (within 24 hours).

Additionally, dice.com is also a good resource for jobs (temp as well as perm)

Old 01-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold boreal is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilsal View Post
is the first website for the state of CA (AFAIR). It was started in 1995 or so. There are some negative things associated with CL, but it is a great resource for the general public. An example, in 2004, I had to sell an old car. Using CL, I sold it in a day (within 24 hours).

Additionally, dice.com is also a good resource for jobs (temp as well as perm)
I wont touch dice.com with a ten foot pole..unless you want to get calls from hundreds of desi recruiters who work out of their garages and who are willing to act as pimps to sell you out through a chain of hundred more such pimps...err, i mean..desi recruiters.......

Try monster or hotjobs instead....and linkedin is pretty good too...
Sent letters to the President and IV

Old 01-25-2009, 11:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
11/11/2006
Compare
Siddharta will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Ladies & Gents,

I have been laid off for almost 2 months now. Filed my 485 in the July fiasco and have an EAD valid till 2010. Looking for a job pretty desperately now ................
Are you in desperate need of a job for monetary or immigration reasons. Since your EAD is valid until mid 2010, you don't have to worry about your immigration status.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:31 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute meridiani.planum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddharta View Post
Are you in desperate need of a job for monetary or immigration reasons. Since your EAD is valid until mid 2010, you don't have to worry about your immigration status.
unless he gets an RFE out of the blue asking for an employment verification letter, with a 30 day turnaround time. Then he does need to worry about his immigration status too.
485 pending means having a same/similar job offer ready at all times.