Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Interesting Topics
Click to log in with Facebook
Interesting Topics This forum is to discuss any topic of interest to members and to gossip about anything that members prefer. All the terms of the forum and terms of use of the website do apply to this forum.

View Poll Results: Do you personally know any family who after layoffs have decided to leave USA ?
No, None (zero) 46 34.59%
Yes, Atleast one family or one person 38 28.57%
Yes, More than one , less than five 43 32.33%
Yes More than five families / persons 6 4.51%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/09/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Compare
gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold
Unhappy Do you personally know anyone who has left US to go back - poll?

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23488

Friends,

Today was sad day for me, one of my friends who lost job on h1, decided to pack and go back after being here jobless for 2 months searching for a job, he was in US for the past 5 years.

Now one more friend and his family have decided to leave....

Times are tough and many are leaving. I wanted to ask you all how this is affecting your friend circles, are you seeing people leave too ?

At present i dont know what i am going to do with the data collected and i do not work for anyone, i just want to know how far layoffs have affected our immigration community.

Please spend some time to reply / vote in this poll, just say if you know anyone who has decided enough is enough and have wanted to go back to their home countries.

Thanks

Last edited by pappu; 02-04-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2007
Compare
hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute hpandey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quite a few

I know more than 5 families in my close friends who left for India. All of them had Green Cards and they left in 2008 after almost 8 - 10 years in US .

They did not leave because of being jobless or anything. In fact they had good high paying secure jobs but because relocating back to India was their long term plan. They wanted to raise their kids back in India and also be with their familes ( parents ) .

EB3 - India - PD - Sep 2004
I140/485 AP - 08/02/2007
FP - 11/2007
AP/EAD - 11/2007
AP/EAD - 2008
AP - 2009
EAD - 2010

Old 02-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
slowwin has much to be proud of slowwin has much to be proud of slowwin has much to be proud of slowwin has much to be proud of slowwin has much to be proud of slowwin has much to be proud of slowwin has much to be proud of slowwin has much to be proud of slowwin has much to be proud of slowwin has much to be proud of
Default yes

I know two of the families personally. One of them went to Mumbai, because of spouse career issues (as being a dentist from India, she could not practice on H4). They are much happier now.
The other friend moved to, become an International in a global MNC to beocme a Buissness development manager.

Both of these guys are much happier and have a very good lifestyle. sometimes I wonder
GC struggle is worth it ...? food for thought.
regards,
slowwin

Old 02-03-2009, 01:04 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/11/2007
Compare
lp2007 will become famous soon enough lp2007 will become famous soon enough
Default Yes, I have friends too that have returned home

But it was a thought out decision, rather than forced due to economic situation.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:10 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jun-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/26/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gcgonewild has a reputation beyond repute gcgonewild has a reputation beyond repute gcgonewild has a reputation beyond repute gcgonewild has a reputation beyond repute gcgonewild has a reputation beyond repute gcgonewild has a reputation beyond repute gcgonewild has a reputation beyond repute gcgonewild has a reputation beyond repute gcgonewild has a reputation beyond repute gcgonewild has a reputation beyond repute gcgonewild has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of my neighbors have left for India. They were here for 4 years and the recent downturn is the only reason they had to leave. One was looking for job for about a month.

Both their spouses (MBA graduates ) were on H4 "Making Home".

During my last vacation to India, it was heartening to see women of all social status taking pleasure in going to work. The best part is they don't even want to relate women & work. They now think it is a part of life.

I am sure the women's rights are better in India.
DC Rally + 2011 DC Advocacy
Labor Applied: June'08
Labor Approved: Jan'09
140 Applied: Jun'09
140 Approved: Jul'09
-------------------

Old 02-03-2009, 01:22 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ss1026 has a brilliant future ss1026 has a brilliant future ss1026 has a brilliant future ss1026 has a brilliant future ss1026 has a brilliant future ss1026 has a brilliant future ss1026 has a brilliant future ss1026 has a brilliant future ss1026 has a brilliant future ss1026 has a brilliant future ss1026 has a brilliant future
Default Two collegues left for India

Two of my collegues + families left this month. One had to leave as his I-140 get rejected due to 3 year degree. He was on his 9 th year H-1B and he chose not to contest. He hopes to come back in a year's time. I doubt that he would want to go through the whole GC process again

The other left due to spouse work issues. He is on H-1B and had not applied for GC. He left for vacation and I came to know this week that he left, quitely, for good.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:08 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Compare
go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowwin View Post
I know two of the families personally. One of them went to Mumbai, because of spouse career issues (as being a dentist from India, she could not practice on H4). They are much happier now.
The other friend moved to, become an International in a global MNC to beocme a Buissness development manager.

Both of these guys are much happier and have a very good lifestyle. sometimes I wonder
GC struggle is worth it ...? food for thought.
regards,
slowwin
working on h1b is not worth it. My friend, thats why I left in 2007 for Canada

Old 02-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
02/10/2005
Compare
sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold sanju is a splendid one to behold

Two close friends left in the last quarter of 2008 after getting their green card 3 years back. Few others are considering moving back to home country.

"The whole history of these books is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills."

- One Great man to another, 1814

Old 02-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future mirage has a brilliant future

H4 is a curse, by the time your EAD or GC arrives, you are so late in the game, you have already lost 10 years sitting home. American lawmakers talks about human right, equality, liberty but only for books, unfair country quota in Green Card allocation is another feather in their cap...

Old 02-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Openarms is a glorious beacon of light Openarms is a glorious beacon of light Openarms is a glorious beacon of light Openarms is a glorious beacon of light Openarms is a glorious beacon of light
Default agree

I agree with you ... like you said I know more than 2 families after GC left to India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpandey View Post
I know more than 5 families in my close friends who left for India. All of them had Green Cards and they left in 2008 after almost 8 - 10 years in US .

They did not leave because of being jobless or anything. In fact they had good high paying secure jobs but because relocating back to India was their long term plan. They wanted to raise their kids back in India and also be with their familes ( parents ) .

Old 02-03-2009, 01:31 PM
ganguteli

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage View Post
H4 is a curse, by the time your EAD or GC arrives, you are so late in the game, you have already lost 10 years sitting home. American lawmakers talks about human right, equality, liberty but only for books, unfair country quota in Green Card allocation is another feather in their cap...
I will argue that H4 is a dependent visa and not a work visa. Dependents knew this before making a choice to come to USA. In the same breath, I also want to say it is unfair that all L1 visa dependents are allowed to work and H1B dependents not.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:38 PM
ganguteli

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage View Post
By your logic, even F2 student visa holders should be allowed to work when a student can work too. Imagine a student doingf MS and Ph.D. For 7 year his spouse cannot work!!

We need laws to be same across the board.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/09/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Compare
gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold gcdreamer05 is a splendid one to behold

holy crap, there are more than 30-40 families who have left US in the current period - either layoffs or decisions to go back - net result is they have gone back........

Too scary....

At the same time US govt should realize that they are losing talent.... and should do something to help h1b's stay back.

But this is not gonna happen as there will be very strong opposition from the citizens (as they themselves do not have any work).

Old 02-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/15/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/09/2007
Compare
conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future conchshell has a brilliant future
Default Beating Retreat

I know one of my friend who went back to India just after getting his GC. However, when I met him last, he felt that he should have stayed for his citizenship. He travels to US in every six month to maintain his GC status and this puts a big hole in his pocket.

Yet another friend of mine is planning to go back. He is on the verge of getting his citizenship. But I do not know anyone who was on H1B, in the process of getting his GC and returned back.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
ssdtm is a jewel in the rough ssdtm is a jewel in the rough ssdtm is a jewel in the rough ssdtm is a jewel in the rough
Default 4 guys left after MS - could not get jobs

3 were MS, 1 MBA

2 of them had got H1, but no jobs (were with consultig cos), so decided to go back.

I think there may be more of MS/MBA, just out of the college, who will be heading back as they do not have much bank balance to survive without jobs.

Then also note that there are many who got H1 this year but have not come at all. In fact I know quite many people who have decided to not come to US even after getting H1. H1 Lottery is no more a winning ticket for them. It is more of a dilemma for them.

Last edited by ssdtm; 02-03-2009 at 05:09 PM.