Immigration Voice

Immigration Voice (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/)
-   Interesting Topics (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum107-interesting-topics/)
-   -   Opportunities in India (https://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum107-interesting-topics/23572-opportunities-in-india.html)

aadimanav 02-07-2009 12:36 PM

Opportunities in India

Hello Friends,

Just curious to know your opinion / experience regarding the current job opportunities in India (near DELHI / NCR) for IT guys. What realistic salary/benefits should someone expect with graduate degree (masters) from US and 8 years of working experience as Programmer Analyst/ Developer / Sr Developer in desi/vedesi mid-sized consulting companies in US? I have no clue, no rough idea, so I thought may be I should ask you guys.

Regards,

thepaew 02-07-2009 12:43 PM

Limited Data

I am not in the IT field - and my data set is limited.

But based on conversations with some friends from my BTech batch, the range seems to be 22 Lakhs to 40 Lakhs per year. I went India to look in to salary costs on behalf of a VC firm last year and found most good programmers would cost more than Rs. 2Lakh per month. The survey was done in Bangalore.

Of course, these were individuals who could hit the ground running.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aadimanav (Post 315909)
Hello Friends,

Just curious to know your opinion / experience regarding the current job opportunities in India (near DELHI / NCR) for a IT guys? What realistic salary/benefits should someone expect with graduate degree (masters) from US and 8 years of working experience as Programmer Analyst/ Developer / Sr Developer in desi/vedesi mid-sized consulting companies in US. I have no clue, no rough idea, so I thought may be I should ask you guys.

Regards,

ras 02-07-2009 01:18 PM

How about Hyderabad

Any guess!!!

thepaew 02-07-2009 01:22 PM

20-35

It is approximately 20 Lakh to 35 Lakh p.a. for top talent. Again, my information is anecdotal - your mileage may vary.

I hear that the recession has hit hiring and wages in India as well. I am taking a 4-week vacation/business trip to Asia in March and can post some data when I am back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ras (Post 315919)
Any guess!!!

amsgc 02-07-2009 03:42 PM

I worked in Delhi before moving to the US, so have some contacts. Last December I touched base with some of my friends from my previous company (big teleco services) and found that it is still not worth moving back - even if you have a home in delhi.
After 7 yrs of work experience, they are still making about 12-15 Lacs (moved up from being an entry level SE to a Project Manager).

Anyways, now days they are very selective in hiring talent - practically a hiring freeze. Also, the days for 30% raises seem to be over, at least for now.

I heard Bangalore is much better.

ganguteli 02-07-2009 05:30 PM

It all depends on the company you work for. A friend of mine told me recently that small /mid size companies in Delhi can pay 3 lakh -4 lakh per annum to a developer with 3-4 year experience from an average college.

I guess a lot depends on where you graduate from, presentation skills and work experience. An NIIT or some small institute graduate cannot get as much as an IITian. However in USA even an NIITian can do well.

So it is all not that rosy that a lot think. Not everyone gets into Microsoft or IBM india. You have to compete with MS/PhD in computer science for the same job that needs BS in big companies due to high rate of competition and unemployment.

aadimanav 02-08-2009 11:32 AM

Ok. So if I summarize, you guys are providing the following ranges:

22 Lakhs to 40 Lakhs
20 Lakhs to 35 Lakhs
12 Lakhs to 15 Lakhs
3 Lakhs to 4 Lakhs

That means, 3 Lakhs to 40 Lakhs. :)

Wow! what a huge difference

thepaew 02-08-2009 11:35 AM

Why is it surprising?

This shouldn't surprise you, should it? In the US too, some engineers make 50K and others make 200K. It depends both on prevailing standards and the individual's skills/luck/location. I do know people making ridiculous sums in India, but they are worth every cent to their employers.

It basically depends on how much value some people can add and how well they can negotiate.

I think the 3 to 4 lakh comment was meant for people "who could not get a job at Microsoft or IBM." I think that the author qualified his/her comments by stating "Not everyone gets into Microsoft or IBM india. You have to compete with MS/PhD in computer science for the same job that needs BS in big companies due to high rate of competition and unemployment."

Quote:

Originally Posted by aadimanav (Post 316078)
Ok. So if I summarize, you guys are providing the following ranges:

22 Lakhs to 40 Lakhs
20 Lakhs to 35 Lakhs
12 Lakhs to 15 Lakhs
3 Lakhs to 4 Lakhs

That means, 3 Lakhs to 40 Lakhs. :)

Wow! what a huge difference

ssdtm 02-08-2009 09:11 PM

NCR Region

Sr Developer / Lead Developer (7-15yrs exp) - 8 - 15 lakhs
Project Manager (10-15yrs exp) - 10-20 lakhs

Above this level, the jobs are far and few, but some are
Principal Consultant / Program Manager (in cos like Wipro, Infy, HP) (12- 18 yrs exp) - 18-28 lakhs

Also note, just because someone has worked in US for a few years does not get any advantage above Project Manager level.

Information based on many well placed contacts at these levels.

Eternal_Hope 02-08-2009 09:56 PM

Please convert to USD

It would be helpful to everyone if all of you could also report the USD equivalent of the figures you are mentioning. Assume 1USD = Rs. 50 for simplicity. This would help the people who just skim the threads for information.

pd_recapturing 02-09-2009 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssdtm (Post 316157)
NCR Region

Principal Consultant / Program Manager (in cos like Wipro, Infy, HP) (12- 18 yrs exp) - 18-28 lakhs

Also note, just because someone has worked in US for a few years does not get any advantage above Project Manager level.

This is absolutely correct. I also was told the same from a few of my friends who are working in NCR.

ganguteli 02-09-2009 12:53 PM

US experience won't count much unless you are from fortune 500 company. These days anyone even with Aptech certificate can get a chance to come and work in USA on L visa for short assignments. So if your experience is in a desi consulting firm, I do not think your resume will be attractive.

The figures shown are all looking good for experienced people in good companies. But it is not easy to get jobs as senior people in top companies. Also remember you have to work much more than you work here. You also have to work on Saturdays in a lot of companies. If your clients are in USA you may also need work in the night too to interact with your people in USA. Also remember in small companies you rarely get to do cutting edge world class work or new idea or planning. You will hardly learn or get special trainings.

Grass is always green on the other side

easygoer 02-09-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

NCR Region

Thanks ssdtm! You gave useful information

snathan 02-09-2009 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easygoer (Post 316340)
Thanks ssdtm! You gave useful information

If its useful...please consider contribution or just be another free rider. The choice is yours.

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/sh...3597&page=1000

Openarms 02-09-2009 06:01 PM

what is NCR Region???

what is NCR Region???

Quote:

NCR Region

desi3933 02-09-2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Openarms (Post 316415)
what is NCR Region???

National Capital Region

skd043000 02-09-2009 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Openarms (Post 316415)
what is NCR Region???

Delhi-noida-gurgaon-etc area

ajay 02-10-2009 11:14 AM

It is interesting

Quote:

Originally Posted by ganguteli (Post 316262)
US experience won't count much unless you are from fortune 500 company. These days anyone even with Aptech certificate can get a chance to come and work in USA on L visa for short assignments. So if your experience is in a desi consulting firm, I do not think your resume will be attractive.

The figures shown are all looking good for experienced people in good companies. But it is not easy to get jobs as senior people in top companies. Also remember you have to work much more than you work here. You also have to work on Saturdays in a lot of companies. If your clients are in USA you may also need work in the night too to interact with your people in USA. Also remember in small companies you rarely get to do cutting edge world class work or new idea or planning. You will hardly learn or get special trainings.

Grass is always green on the other side

I was reading this thread and found something that I haven't found here also. In US also I haven't found any companies give much exposure to consultants for world class work or new idea or planning. I also haven't found any companies that provide special training to the consultants.
Fortune 500 companies may be an exception though from the above.
What I feel is it all depends on the individual how much of exposure one can get regardless where s/he is working. Technology is seamless and it is available from anywhere.