Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Interesting Topics
Click to log in with Facebook
Interesting Topics This forum is to discuss any topic of interest to members and to gossip about anything that members prefer. All the terms of the forum and terms of use of the website do apply to this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute
Default Opportunities in India

Hello Friends,

Just curious to know your opinion / experience regarding the current job opportunities in India (near DELHI / NCR) for IT guys. What realistic salary/benefits should someone expect with graduate degree (masters) from US and 8 years of working experience as Programmer Analyst/ Developer / Sr Developer in desi/vedesi mid-sized consulting companies in US? I have no clue, no rough idea, so I thought may be I should ask you guys.

Regards,

Last edited by aadimanav; 02-07-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
thepaew is a splendid one to behold thepaew is a splendid one to behold thepaew is a splendid one to behold thepaew is a splendid one to behold thepaew is a splendid one to behold thepaew is a splendid one to behold thepaew is a splendid one to behold thepaew is a splendid one to behold
Default Limited Data

I am not in the IT field - and my data set is limited.

But based on conversations with some friends from my BTech batch, the range seems to be 22 Lakhs to 40 Lakhs per year. I went India to look in to salary costs on behalf of a VC firm last year and found most good programmers would cost more than Rs. 2Lakh per month. The survey was done in Bangalore.

Of course, these were individuals who could hit the ground running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadimanav View Post
Hello Friends,

Just curious to know your opinion / experience regarding the current job opportunities in India (near DELHI / NCR) for a IT guys? What realistic salary/benefits should someone expect with graduate degree (masters) from US and 8 years of working experience as Programmer Analyst/ Developer / Sr Developer in desi/vedesi mid-sized consulting companies in US. I have no clue, no rough idea, so I thought may be I should ask you guys.

Regards,
Monthly Financial Contributer

Last edited by thepaew; 02-07-2009 at 12:45 PM.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Priority Date
:
May-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2008
Compare
ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts
Default How about Hyderabad

Any guess!!!

Old 02-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
thepaew is a splendid one to behold thepaew is a splendid one to behold thepaew is a splendid one to behold thepaew is a splendid one to behold thepaew is a splendid one to behold thepaew is a splendid one to behold thepaew is a splendid one to behold thepaew is a splendid one to behold
Default 20-35

It is approximately 20 Lakh to 35 Lakh p.a. for top talent. Again, my information is anecdotal - your mileage may vary.

I hear that the recession has hit hiring and wages in India as well. I am taking a 4-week vacation/business trip to Asia in March and can post some data when I am back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras View Post
Any guess!!!

Old 02-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future amsgc has a brilliant future

I worked in Delhi before moving to the US, so have some contacts. Last December I touched base with some of my friends from my previous company (big teleco services) and found that it is still not worth moving back - even if you have a home in delhi.
After 7 yrs of work experience, they are still making about 12-15 Lacs (moved up from being an entry level SE to a Project Manager).

Anyways, now days they are very selective in hiring talent - practically a hiring freeze. Also, the days for 30% raises seem to be over, at least for now.

I heard Bangalore is much better.

$$$ Contributions:
$560 in one time contributions

Old 02-07-2009, 05:30 PM
ganguteli

It all depends on the company you work for. A friend of mine told me recently that small /mid size companies in Delhi can pay 3 lakh -4 lakh per annum to a developer with 3-4 year experience from an average college.

I guess a lot depends on where you graduate from, presentation skills and work experience. An NIIT or some small institute graduate cannot get as much as an IITian. However in USA even an NIITian can do well.

So it is all not that rosy that a lot think. Not everyone gets into Microsoft or IBM india. You have to compete with MS/PhD in computer science for the same job that needs BS in big companies due to high rate of competition and unemployment.

Last edited by ganguteli; 02-07-2009 at 05:32 PM.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. So if I summarize, you guys are providing the following ranges:

22 Lakhs to 40 Lakhs
20 Lakhs to 35 Lakhs
12 Lakhs to 15 Lakhs
3 Lakhs to 4 Lakhs

That means, 3 Lakhs to 40 Lakhs.

Wow! what a huge difference

Old 02-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
Default Why is it surprising?

This shouldn't surprise you, should it? In the US too, some engineers make 50K and others make 200K. It depends both on prevailing standards and the individual's skills/luck/location. I do know people making ridiculous sums in India, but they are worth every cent to their employers.

It basically depends on how much value some people can add and how well they can negotiate.

I think the 3 to 4 lakh comment was meant for people "who could not get a job at Microsoft or IBM." I think that the author qualified his/her comments by stating "Not everyone gets into Microsoft or IBM india. You have to compete with MS/PhD in computer science for the same job that needs BS in big companies due to high rate of competition and unemployment."

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadimanav View Post
Ok. So if I summarize, you guys are providing the following ranges:

22 Lakhs to 40 Lakhs
20 Lakhs to 35 Lakhs
12 Lakhs to 15 Lakhs
3 Lakhs to 4 Lakhs

That means, 3 Lakhs to 40 Lakhs.

Wow! what a huge difference

Last edited by thepaew; 02-08-2009 at 11:45 AM.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
ssdtm is a jewel in the rough ssdtm is a jewel in the rough ssdtm is a jewel in the rough ssdtm is a jewel in the rough

NCR Region

Sr Developer / Lead Developer (7-15yrs exp) - 8 - 15 lakhs
Project Manager (10-15yrs exp) - 10-20 lakhs

Above this level, the jobs are far and few, but some are
Principal Consultant / Program Manager (in cos like Wipro, Infy, HP) (12- 18 yrs exp) - 18-28 lakhs

Also note, just because someone has worked in US for a few years does not get any advantage above Project Manager level.

Information based on many well placed contacts at these levels.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Please convert to USD

It would be helpful to everyone if all of you could also report the USD equivalent of the figures you are mentioning. Assume 1USD = Rs. 50 for simplicity. This would help the people who just skim the threads for information.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
pd_recapturing has a reputation beyond repute pd_recapturing has a reputation beyond repute pd_recapturing has a reputation beyond repute pd_recapturing has a reputation beyond repute pd_recapturing has a reputation beyond repute pd_recapturing has a reputation beyond repute pd_recapturing has a reputation beyond repute pd_recapturing has a reputation beyond repute pd_recapturing has a reputation beyond repute pd_recapturing has a reputation beyond repute pd_recapturing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdtm View Post
NCR Region

Principal Consultant / Program Manager (in cos like Wipro, Infy, HP) (12- 18 yrs exp) - 18-28 lakhs

Also note, just because someone has worked in US for a few years does not get any advantage above Project Manager level.

This is absolutely correct. I also was told the same from a few of my friends who are working in NCR.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:53 PM
ganguteli

US experience won't count much unless you are from fortune 500 company. These days anyone even with Aptech certificate can get a chance to come and work in USA on L visa for short assignments. So if your experience is in a desi consulting firm, I do not think your resume will be attractive.

The figures shown are all looking good for experienced people in good companies. But it is not easy to get jobs as senior people in top companies. Also remember you have to work much more than you work here. You also have to work on Saturdays in a lot of companies. If your clients are in USA you may also need work in the night too to interact with your people in USA. Also remember in small companies you rarely get to do cutting edge world class work or new idea or planning. You will hardly learn or get special trainings.

Grass is always green on the other side

Old 02-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/25/2007
Compare
easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future easygoer has a brilliant future

Quote:
NCR Region

Thanks ssdtm! You gave useful information

Old 02-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by easygoer View Post
Thanks ssdtm! You gave useful information
If its useful...please consider contribution or just be another free rider. The choice is yours.

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/sh...3597&page=1000 (Contribtuion Campaign - 2009)

Old 02-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Openarms is a glorious beacon of light Openarms is a glorious beacon of light Openarms is a glorious beacon of light Openarms is a glorious beacon of light Openarms is a glorious beacon of light
Default what is NCR Region???

what is NCR Region???

Quote:
NCR Region