Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Interesting Topics
Click to log in with Facebook
Interesting Topics This forum is to discuss any topic of interest to members and to gossip about anything that members prefer. All the terms of the forum and terms of use of the website do apply to this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 11:52 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of gc28262 has much to be proud of
Default Google search techniques

Searching in Google, the good way | Code Purity

There are huge set of techniques by which searching in Google can be done more accurately, and here is a list of them that I frequently use.

1. Whenever we search for more than one keyword (i.e. computer programming, here we use 2 key word. a) computer b) programming) at a time Google will handle this keyword using a method called Boolean Default. Google's Boolean default is AND; that means if we enter query words without modifiers, Google will search for all of them. If we search for:

computer programming

Google will search for all the words. If we want to specify that either word is acceptable, we can put an OR between each item:

computer OR programming

If we want to exclude a query item from search results, use a -.(minus sign or dash:

computer -programming

Note that there is no space after the (-) sign.

2. To search for a phrase use "" surrounding the phrase. like:

"Some Interesting Google Search Technique"

3. Period (.) and Asterisk (*) can also be used as traditionally used.

4. To search anything from a specific site use site:site_name.

google site:share-facts.blogspot.com

This will search for the term google only in the specified site. Note that there is no space after the ( sign.

Eg: ead site:immigrationvoice.org

5. To restrict search to title of web pages we can use intitle:search_keyword

intitle:google

6. Use inurl:search_keyword to restrict search to the URLs of web pages.

inurl:google

7. To search in body text use intext:search_keyword

intext:html

8. Searches for text in a page's link anchors

inanchor:"google desktop"

9. To search for a specific filetype use filetype:desired_file_type

bangladesh filetype : pdf

10. To search a copy of the page that Google indexed even if that site/page is no longer available at its original URL or has since changed its content completely. This is particularly useful for site/pages that change often.

cache:share-facts.blogspot.com

Last edited by gc28262; 07-29-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

4 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:07 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2007
Compare
gveerab is a glorious beacon of light gveerab is a glorious beacon of light gveerab is a glorious beacon of light gveerab is a glorious beacon of light gveerab is a glorious beacon of light gveerab is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Great information

Thanks a lot

Old 07-30-2009, 02:37 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
shana04 is a splendid one to behold shana04 is a splendid one to behold shana04 is a splendid one to behold shana04 is a splendid one to behold shana04 is a splendid one to behold shana04 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks a lot for sharing good info.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:51 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/02/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future whiteStallion has a brilliant future

Very nice post...thanks a lot !

Old 07-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2006
Compare
BECsufferer is infamous around these parts BECsufferer is infamous around these parts BECsufferer is infamous around these parts BECsufferer is infamous around these parts BECsufferer is infamous around these parts BECsufferer is infamous around these parts
Default Good info

Thanks.

Now something that had been on top of my mind for long. Does anyone know how to make Google include subjective interpretation to search query? I will elaborate ...

Say you want to search for all the work been done or being done on say "teapot". Normally you type in "teapot" in search bar and Google will dump millions of results. And those results would be screened objectively based on the search query i.e. "teapot". But interestingly, "kettle" is also a synomous for "teapot" but since the search was objectively driven, this subjective association would be excluded. This is just an example, I framed to explain my point.

A quick answer to above would be to include any synomous words, but we all know in techonological world and especially in the IP area, their could numerous ways to hid the information while maintaining it on public forums. If you have been engaged in IP development, you will understand what I am talking about.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:15 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/22/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
09/22/2006
Compare
Aah_GC is on a distinguished road

Search has a common syntax across the web, not just for Google. Perhaps you were sounding synonomous with Google.

For those of you who haven't tried yet, try out Bing - its an awesome Search tool. With Yahoo merging it's Search properties with Bing - it is bound to gain more marketshare.

Contributed $700 and made calls to Senators

Old 07-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/02/2002
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
03/03/2003
Compare
yagw is a splendid one to behold yagw is a splendid one to behold yagw is a splendid one to behold yagw is a splendid one to behold yagw is a splendid one to behold yagw is a splendid one to behold yagw is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECsufferer View Post
Thanks.

Now something that had been on top of my mind for long. Does anyone know how to make Google include subjective interpretation to search query? I will elaborate ...

Say you want to search for all the work been done or being done on say "teapot". Normally you type in "teapot" in search bar and Google will dump millions of results. And those results would be screened objectively based on the search query i.e. "teapot". But interestingly, "kettle" is also a synomous for "teapot" but since the search was objectively driven, this subjective association would be excluded. This is just an example, I framed to explain my point.

A quick answer to above would be to include any synomous words, but we all know in techonological world and especially in the IP area, their could numerous ways to hid the information while maintaining it on public forums. If you have been engaged in IP development, you will understand what I am talking about.
Google has wonderwheel added recently which displays related items to your search keyword (not necessarily synonyms) in a map.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:16 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
United States
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Compare
dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts dontcareanymore is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECsufferer View Post
Thanks.

"Semantic search" is what you are looking for. There is a lot of work going on in this area.
I think you know how to know more about it