Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Interesting Topics
Click to log in with Facebook
Interesting Topics This forum is to discuss any topic of interest to members and to gossip about anything that members prefer. All the terms of the forum and terms of use of the website do apply to this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute aadimanav has a reputation beyond repute
Default 100,000 pros may return to India from US

Source:
http://www.rediff.com/money/2009/mar...ia-from-us.htm

100,000 pros may return to India from US

As economic downturn continues to grip the United States, as many as 100,000 highly skilled Indians -- and as many Chinese -- may return home over next three to five years, which will boost the economies and competitiveness of both the emerging Asian nations.

The reverse immigration could end up as a big loss to the US, which has so far relied heavily on the immigrants to give it a technological edge over the rest of the world, according to a study conducted by Indian-American Vivek Wadhwa and released by the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation.

The majority of these Western-educated, skilled and talented young Indian and Chinese professionals are planning to start new ventures, says the report released on Monday.

Much before the American economic slowdown, a large number of these professionals had already begun returning home lured apparently by prospects of a better future back home.

It also indicates that placing limits on foreign workers in the US is not the answer to its rising unemployment rate and may undermine efforts to spur technological innovation.

"A substantial number of highly skilled immigrants have started returning to their home countries in recent years, draining a key source of brain power and innovation," said Robert Litan, vice president of Research and Policy at the Kauffman Foundation.

Based on a six month survey of 1,203 Indian and Chinese who went back home, the report finds though restrictive immigration policies caused some returnees to depart the US, the most significant factors in the decision to return home were career opportunities, family ties, and quality of life.

"There are no hard numbers available on how many have returned, but anecdotal evidence shows that this is in the tens of thousands," said Wadhwa, executive-in-residence for Pratt School of Engineering at Duke University.

Wadhwa is also a fellow at the Labour and Work life Programme at Harvard Law School and is a BusinessWeek columnist.

"With the economic downturn, my guess is that we'll have over 100,000 Indians and as many Chinese return home over the next 3-5 years. This flood of western educated and skilled talent will greatly boost the economies of India and China and strengthen their competitiveness," he said.

India is already becoming a global hub for R&D. This will allow it to branch into many new areas and will accelerate the trend, Wadhwa said.

The report reveals that family considerations are strong magnets pulling immigrants back to their home countries. Care for aging parents was considered by 89.4 per cent of Indians and 79.1 per cent of Chinese respondents to be much better in their home countries, says the 24-page report.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/12/2007
Compare
ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute ajay has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy How much of a respect we get when we go back..

There is no doubt that the article is well written. But looking at the comments what I feel is nobody is happy about us being here or there!!!
It is completely a difficult situation we are in if we are into any trouble.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Banned
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts

It doesn't matter. In 2008 total new h1b is around 125k and L1 is 84K. total exodus is nowhere near to total incoming persons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadimanav View Post
Source:
http://www.rediff.com/money/2009/mar...ia-from-us.htm

100,000 pros may return to India from US

As economic downturn continues to grip the United States, as many as 100,000 highly skilled Indians -- and as many Chinese -- may return home over next three to five years, which will boost the economies and competitiveness of both the emerging Asian nations.

The reverse immigration could end up as a big loss to the US, which has so far relied heavily on the immigrants to give it a technological edge over the rest of the world, according to a study conducted by Indian-American Vivek Wadhwa and released by the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation.

The majority of these Western-educated, skilled and talented young Indian and Chinese professionals are planning to start new ventures, says the report released on Monday.

Much before the American economic slowdown, a large number of these professionals had already begun returning home lured apparently by prospects of a better future back home.

It also indicates that placing limits on foreign workers in the US is not the answer to its rising unemployment rate and may undermine efforts to spur technological innovation.

"A substantial number of highly skilled immigrants have started returning to their home countries in recent years, draining a key source of brain power and innovation," said Robert Litan, vice president of Research and Policy at the Kauffman Foundation.

Based on a six month survey of 1,203 Indian and Chinese who went back home, the report finds though restrictive immigration policies caused some returnees to depart the US, the most significant factors in the decision to return home were career opportunities, family ties, and quality of life.

"There are no hard numbers available on how many have returned, but anecdotal evidence shows that this is in the tens of thousands," said Wadhwa, executive-in-residence for Pratt School of Engineering at Duke University.

Wadhwa is also a fellow at the Labour and Work life Programme at Harvard Law School and is a BusinessWeek columnist.

"With the economic downturn, my guess is that we'll have over 100,000 Indians and as many Chinese return home over the next 3-5 years. This flood of western educated and skilled talent will greatly boost the economies of India and China and strengthen their competitiveness," he said.

India is already becoming a global hub for R&D. This will allow it to branch into many new areas and will accelerate the trend, Wadhwa said.

The report reveals that family considerations are strong magnets pulling immigrants back to their home countries. Care for aging parents was considered by 89.4 per cent of Indians and 79.1 per cent of Chinese respondents to be much better in their home countries, says the 24-page report.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
slowwin has much to be proud of slowwin has much to be proud of slowwin has much to be proud of slowwin has much to be proud of slowwin has much to be proud of slowwin has much to be proud of slowwin has much to be proud of slowwin has much to be proud of slowwin has much to be proud of slowwin has much to be proud of

bump

Old 03-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/25/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/25/2005
Compare
alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute

The irony in the current schizophrenic EB immigration policy is that, it is ironically the more talented, qualified and marketable and entrepreneural talent that is more likely to look at US immigration policy and call it a day. It is conversely the mediocre talent that would be inclined to "stick it out" and deal with all the crap.
Hmm, something surely to ponder for this country.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:28 PM
ganguteli

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowwin View Post
bump
Why are you spamming the forum by posting bump messages everywhere?

Old 03-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/30/2006
Chargeability
:
Nigeria
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute fromnaija has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alterego View Post
The irony in the current schizophrenic EB immigration policy is that, it is ironically the more talented, qualified and marketable and entrepreneural talent that is more likely to look at US immigration policy and call it a day. It is conversely the mediocre talent that would be inclined to "stick it out" and deal with all the crap.
Hmm, something surely to ponder for this country.
Are you personally "sticking it out"? Does that make you a mediocre talent? Something to ponder about your post.