Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Interesting Topics
Click to log in with Facebook
Interesting Topics This forum is to discuss any topic of interest to members and to gossip about anything that members prefer. All the terms of the forum and terms of use of the website do apply to this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bsnf is a splendid one to behold bsnf is a splendid one to behold bsnf is a splendid one to behold bsnf is a splendid one to behold bsnf is a splendid one to behold bsnf is a splendid one to behold bsnf is a splendid one to behold
Default Cruise while on AP

I and my wife are on EAD with AP expiring in Feb 2012. Both my kids are US citizens.
We are planning to take a 7 Night Norwegian Cruise to Bahamas, Jamaica, Cayman Island & Mexico. I called the Cruise line and the Costco travel agents but they were not able to provide any help with weather I need a visa or not.

I know my kids won't need a visa for any of the countries we are visiting.

Researched on Google and found this website

U.S. Passport & Travel Visa Services: On-line Application, Visas Requirements.

As per this website if we are taking a Crusie then we do not need a visa for Mexico, Jamaica & Cayman Island. For Bahamas they do not have a Crusie category and basically it looks like a visa will be required.

Anyone on AP taken a cruise to any of these countries - can you please reply with your experience and suggestions.

I am planning to take the Dec 4th cruise, is it too late to apply for the Bahamas visa.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
vsuri is a glorious beacon of light vsuri is a glorious beacon of light vsuri is a glorious beacon of light vsuri is a glorious beacon of light vsuri is a glorious beacon of light

The information you obtained from U.S. Passport & Travel Visa Services: On-line Application, Visas Requirements. appears to be relevant only for US Citizens.

It appears that Indian citizens need visa enter Bahamas, Cayman Islands and Mexico.

Please see: http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/ti...buser=DELTAB2C

Old 11-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
jhegde is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnf View Post
I and my wife are on EAD with AP expiring in Feb 2012. Both my kids are US citizens.
We are planning to take a 7 Night Norwegian Cruise to Bahamas, Jamaica, Cayman Island & Mexico. I called the Cruise line and the Costco travel agents but they were not able to provide any help with weather I need a visa or not.

I know my kids won't need a visa for any of the countries we are visiting.

Researched on Google and found this website

U.S. Passport & Travel Visa Services: On-line Application, Visas Requirements.

As per this website if we are taking a Crusie then we do not need a visa for Mexico, Jamaica & Cayman Island. For Bahamas they do not have a Crusie category and basically it looks like a visa will be required.

Anyone on AP taken a cruise to any of these countries - can you please reply with your experience and suggestions.

I am planning to take the Dec 4th cruise, is it too late to apply for the Bahamas visa.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Not to discourage your travel plans, but while on AP, can you travel to any other countries other than your home country? When I wanted to visit Canada last year, I was informed by our Attorney that AP is meant for traveling your home country in case of emergencies. How do you convince the officer at the port of entry when you return to US? I know its a gray area, but I would double-check.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
vsuri is a glorious beacon of light vsuri is a glorious beacon of light vsuri is a glorious beacon of light vsuri is a glorious beacon of light vsuri is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhegde View Post
Not to discourage your travel plans, but while on AP, can you travel to any other countries other than your home country? When I wanted to visit Canada last year, I was informed by our Attorney that AP is meant for traveling your home country in case of emergencies. How do you convince the officer at the port of entry when you return to US? I know its a gray area, but I would double-check.
Advance Parole has no such restriction. It is NOT a gray area.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bsnf is a splendid one to behold bsnf is a splendid one to behold bsnf is a splendid one to behold bsnf is a splendid one to behold bsnf is a splendid one to behold bsnf is a splendid one to behold bsnf is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhegde View Post
Appreciate your reply.
I travel for work. In the last 3 months I visited India, China, Japan & Hong Kong, never had any problem in US or any of the countries I visited.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:20 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
shaji_p_j is on a distinguished road
Default no visa required for Mexico

Cruise to Mexico is fine with AP and no visa (less than 24 hrs , I guess). I had done the same two years ago and did not face any issue with AP. not sure of other countries.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:34 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute

I did research on this a couple of years ago when going on a cruise myself.

You need a visa from the British Embassy for the Grand Caymans. I'm pretty sure about this.

For Mexico, you do not need a visa when arriving by cruise (or generally, when arriving from the USA). In fact there is no immigration control when you arrive by cruise. The ship just keeps a photocopy of your passport.

Jamaica does not need a visa for Indian nationals at all.

Bahamas, I'm not sure.

As for the person said his lawyer advised him that AP is for home country travel only, you need to find a new lawyer. I was on AP from Sep 09 to Sep 11 and traveled abroad for work about 20 times to about 10 different countries. Never did the issue of where I went ever come up. AP is to enter the country, when your 485 is pending. Where you went has nothing to do with anything.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare

shaji_p_j and vinzak are correct that Mexico exempts cruise passengers from visa requirements. Please see:
Consulado de México en Boston

Old 11-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare

Cayman Islands also exempts cruise passengers from visa requirements. Please see:
Cayman Islands - Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac and Little Cayman, Travel and Tourism Site

Old 11-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06-28-2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06-28-2007
Compare
CaliHoneB has a reputation beyond repute CaliHoneB has a reputation beyond repute CaliHoneB has a reputation beyond repute CaliHoneB has a reputation beyond repute CaliHoneB has a reputation beyond repute CaliHoneB has a reputation beyond repute CaliHoneB has a reputation beyond repute CaliHoneB has a reputation beyond repute CaliHoneB has a reputation beyond repute CaliHoneB has a reputation beyond repute CaliHoneB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Work and Pleasure

There is a section in AP which talks about the reason for applying for AP and why you should be granted AP (Part 7). I personally didn't see my attorneys fill out this section other than "multiple trips are needed" (section 1)

so Immigration Officer at any point of entry can ask questions related to this section and harass you if he was not in the mood and I think I read somewhere on this forum that in fact it did happen and the AP holder was advised to use AP for business purposes only but he did let him enter the US.

Personally I would check with my attorney and go for the trip. We cannot put hold on our life forever just because we happened to be in "adjustment of status" but we still have to make sure that we don't fall in to INS traps and waste our money and time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnf View Post
Appreciate your reply.
I travel for work. In the last 3 months I visited India, China, Japan & Hong Kong, never had any problem in US or any of the countries I visited.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/25/2007
Compare
bang has a brilliant future bang has a brilliant future bang has a brilliant future bang has a brilliant future bang has a brilliant future bang has a brilliant future bang has a brilliant future bang has a brilliant future bang has a brilliant future bang has a brilliant future bang has a brilliant future
Default No need of Visa to Bahamas

I have traveled to Bahamas on a 3 day , 2 night cruise. Visa is not required !
It was about 2 years ago, not sure if anything has changed now.
RD - July 25th 2007
Upgraded to EB2 in July 2012.
Interfiling letter sent by Attorney on Oct 1st 2012
Opened SR on Oct 15th
USCIS Requested Interfiling Letter for upgrade (No RFE, just a Mail Response sent to me) - Oct 22
Sent Interfiling Letter & email (Personal - no Attorney) - Oct 25
Opened SR on 11/15
485 Approval - end of Nov 2012.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute gvenkat has a reputation beyond repute

Technically AP is to be used for emergency purposes only. If you read the AP it will clearly state that. However no one really cares when u enter with AP. Just show the AP and they will take it stamp it and let u in. Most of the officers know and they won't harass us.

You can always say, Yes I wanted to go here and could not obtain a Visa in time to come back in to the US and hence this is an emergency. I have never heard of people harassed for using the AP. I think that is a load of BS.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06-28-2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06-28-2007
Compare
CaliHoneB has a reputation beyond repute CaliHoneB has a reputation beyond repute CaliHoneB has a reputation beyond repute CaliHoneB has a reputation beyond repute CaliHoneB has a reputation beyond repute CaliHoneB has a reputation beyond repute CaliHoneB has a reputation beyond repute CaliHoneB has a reputation beyond repute CaliHoneB has a reputation beyond repute CaliHoneB has a reputation beyond repute CaliHoneB has a reputation beyond repute
Default watch your language

It is given that everybody is giving their two cents and trying to help each other. So watching your language helps board pleasant to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvenkat View Post
Technically AP is to be used for emergency purposes only. If you read the AP it will clearly state that. However no one really cares when u enter with AP. Just show the AP and they will take it stamp it and let u in. Most of the officers know and they won't harass us.

You can always say, Yes I wanted to go here and could not obtain a Visa in time to come back in to the US and hence this is an emergency. I have never heard of people harassed for using the AP. I think that is a load of BS.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
mylife22 is on a distinguished road

Pretty sure no visas are needed, EXCEPT for Grand Caymans. Good luck!