Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Interesting Topics
Click to log in with Facebook
Interesting Topics This forum is to discuss any topic of interest to members and to gossip about anything that members prefer. All the terms of the forum and terms of use of the website do apply to this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
valuablehurdle is a splendid one to behold valuablehurdle is a splendid one to behold valuablehurdle is a splendid one to behold valuablehurdle is a splendid one to behold valuablehurdle is a splendid one to behold valuablehurdle is a splendid one to behold valuablehurdle is a splendid one to behold
Default Non-Immigration Topic:- How to Educate the Police in US about other cultures

Dear IV Members,

I know this is an immigration forum but I thought if I can get some valuable advice.

A couple of days back, the police forced into our apartment saying that they have heard a complain about domestic violence. I was surprised because the only thing that happenned was that our child was crying during that time. They came inside and started searching our small apartment and started to interogate me. In our bedroom, there is space where we keep our deities and do Puja. My wife is a little bit more religious than me - so she requested them not to go to that space with shoes on. However, they did not listen and just went wherever they wanted. This I think is a disrespect to other culture. Later, when they did not find anything, they just left. We were dumb-founded. We were scared too.... In our building, we are the only Indian/foreigner. This might probably leave a permanant scar in the child's mind when he sees his father interrogated for nothing.

Can someone advice if we can take the matter to someone? Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Compare
go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuablehurdle View Post
Dear IV Members,

I know this is an immigration forum but I thought if I can get some valuable advice.

A couple of days back, the police forced into our apartment saying that they have heard a complain about domestic violence. I was surprised because the only thing that happenned was that our child was crying during that time. They came inside and started searching our small apartment and started to interogate me. In our bedroom, there is space where we keep our deities and do Puja. My wife is a little bit more religious than me - so she requested them not to go to that space with shoes on. However, they did not listen and just went wherever they wanted. This I think is a disrespect to other culture. Later, when they did not find anything, they just left. We were dumb-founded. We were scared too.... In our building, we are the only Indian/foreigner. This might probably leave a permanant scar in the child's mind when he sees his father interrogated for nothing.

Can someone advice if we can take the matter to someone? Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated.
Why are u putting unrelated stuff here. You can always consult a lawyer for lawsuit
if u feel. Ofcourse nothing is free. U will need to pay a lawyer for that.

0 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/16/2007
Chargeability
:
Cyprus
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
gapala is infamous around these parts gapala is infamous around these parts
Default Sorry to hear that!

Sorry to hear about that dude!
Did they book any charges against you?
Where did this happen? What did they say when they left?
Do you have officer's names/contact number?

One thing you could do is that you can write to Senators and Governer about this and also the Media Reporters.

Talk to a lawyer as well if you are mentally worried about this.

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/12/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/12/2004
Compare
ItsLife is infamous around these parts ItsLife is infamous around these parts ItsLife is infamous around these parts
Thumbs down are you crazy ? go_guy123

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_guy123 View Post
Why are u putting unrelated stuff here. You can always consult a lawyer for lawsuit
if u feel. Ofcourse nothing is free. U will need to pay a lawyer for that.
We can post IPL matches here, we can post people working on two jobs and all the advise for every thing and not for this poor guy who seeks advise.

This is a form for immigration issues and not only to get your Green card. Incase you forget that.

This is a very sad state then some seniors think they can talk trash or anything to other members. This needs to stop asap.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:02 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/29/2007
Compare
qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute qasleuth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dear IV Members,

This is just horrible that you had to go through such an ordeal. In my opinion: There is no need to educate anybody. If they disrespected something you believe in, then shame on them.
If you are innocent the most important thing to remember in such a situation is giving consent to 'search'. Once you give consent then you might lose the right to fight against such an infraction. If you did not give consent and they 'forced' themselves into your apartment then it is against your fourth amendment rights. Now the next question you might want to ask yourself: Now that the incident happened, what do you want to do about it? If you do not want to spend money on a lawyer, contact your local ACLU or NAACP chapter and seek advice. You have every right to do what needs to be done to feel better after being abused. And more importantly, when you lodge a complaint (after seeking advice from ACLU guys and/or lawyer) it triggers action, hopefully those officers will get some kind of training on respecting other cultures.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:48 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
valuablehurdle is a splendid one to behold valuablehurdle is a splendid one to behold valuablehurdle is a splendid one to behold valuablehurdle is a splendid one to behold valuablehurdle is a splendid one to behold valuablehurdle is a splendid one to behold valuablehurdle is a splendid one to behold

No they did not book any charges against me..How could they that? We did nothing illegal. It is just the whole episode took place ..It has shaken me and my family.
I donot know any lawyer.. Moreover, I am not sure whether it is advisable to go to a lawyer or not... not sure how major the issue is for them..
Moreover, will this affect my Green card process if I start suing these govt. people?

I am just confused...

Old 05-07-2009, 12:51 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future

No one can enter your property without your permission or consent unless they have a warrant. The officer has to ask you if they can come in and you might have said yes and hence the result. You could very well say no and walk outside the door to talk to them.

Some PDs have educational videos to the police officers. A good example and a must watch link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkaMUp_JqIE

Old 05-07-2009, 01:02 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future txh1b has a brilliant future

DOJ also has videos on other religions and cultures if anyone is interested. Links below.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/BJA/pubs/diversity.html

http://bja.ncjrs.gov/diversity/flash.html

Old 05-07-2009, 01:02 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
04/03/2012
Compare
hsingh82 has a reputation beyond repute hsingh82 has a reputation beyond repute hsingh82 has a reputation beyond repute hsingh82 has a reputation beyond repute hsingh82 has a reputation beyond repute hsingh82 has a reputation beyond repute hsingh82 has a reputation beyond repute hsingh82 has a reputation beyond repute hsingh82 has a reputation beyond repute hsingh82 has a reputation beyond repute hsingh82 has a reputation beyond repute

Did the police officers say anything against the deities or your culture? From your post, I assume no..if that's the case then you should understand the police officers are trained not to take their shoes off and take protective measures for themselves first when they are in these situations. In fact , even an internet cable guy won't take his/her shoes off when at work. As long as their purpose was not to harass you and they came with good intensions to help your family (in case something was really going on) you should take positives out of it that they acted quickly but only you can tell how they behaved and if your race or culture affected their behavior.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:06 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No they did not book any charges against me..How could they that? We did nothing illegal. It is just the whole episode took place ..It has shaken me and my family.
I donot know any lawyer.. Moreover, I am not sure whether it is advisable to go to a lawyer or not... not sure how major the issue is for them..
Moreover, will this affect my Green card process if I start suing these govt. people?

I am just confused...
If you feel you are offended and religiously hurt you can give a try. Some time back MCD was sued for cooking frys in the same oil where they cook chicken. In this country people will only understand law suite.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:25 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future sw33t has a brilliant future
Default Police department complaint

The Civil Rights Division's Coordination and Review Section can handle individual complaints alleging discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, and religion by State and local law enforcement agencies that receive financial assistance from the Department of Justice.

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/cor/index.php

Most major city police departments receive grants from the DOJ.

Here is the Dept. of Justice website giving more information -

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/split/complaints.php#Police

Don't try going to the department directly or filing a form directly. Not recommended as they will not be friendly.

Also contact your local community organization leaders and let them know about the incident.

It might be a good idea to setup a protocol or a process in place in the event something like this happens again. Memorize a contact number and educate your family members on what to do.

Here is more information on your rights if you are detained or arrested -

http://www.msba.org/departments/comm...egalrights.htm

The above link is a compilation by the Maryland Bar Association but it is pretty close to what you can do and what you can't.

File a complaint over here - http://www.policeabuse.com/index.php...orms&formid=44 if you live in a small town/city. Its Free.

BTW, this is a very popular technique to evict a neighbor who is not wanted around. But then again, I might be speculating about your living situation.

I hope you did not commit an act of domestic violence.

JOIN THE TEXAS STATE CHAPTER
---------------------------------
VERIFIED MEMBERS LIST - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/texasiv

Old 05-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute new_horizon has a reputation beyond repute
Default imho

I don't think you should make it a big deal. I know it hurts you and your family to see PD question you, but they were doing their job based on someone's complaint. Moreover you don't want to complicate matters, and put you in the spotlight for nothing.
I am sure the gods will be more forgiving on these ignorant officers, and so should you.

- Member of MI IV Chapter
- Contributing $25 monthly since 2007
- Several one-time contributions totalling over $1,500
- Participated in ALL Advocacy Efforts in Washington DC & San Jose since JUL 2007
- I am doing my part, have you done yours to advance our mutual cause?

* If you have the Faith of a Mustard Seed You can say to the Mountain 'Be Moved', and it WILL be Moved!!

** Faith without Action is Futile.

- The Bible