Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Interesting Topics
Click to log in with Facebook
Interesting Topics This forum is to discuss any topic of interest to members and to gossip about anything that members prefer. All the terms of the forum and terms of use of the website do apply to this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/05/2005
Compare
nojoke is infamous around these parts nojoke is infamous around these parts nojoke is infamous around these parts nojoke is infamous around these parts nojoke is infamous around these parts nojoke is infamous around these parts nojoke is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujijag View Post
I don't see a reason why you should not buy in US. Assume if you are in rental you pay for three yrs $36k minimum or probably even more based on your locality. If you own a small condo in US and spend a little bit more for mortgage that you would have spent on rental. Also at the worst case if real estate does not appreciate at the end of three years, you can still foreclose losing the same amount or a little bit more than what you would have lost in rental. Thats a worst case anyway. The best part is if it does appreciate you don't loose the money that you would have spent on rental. This is subject to you are able to sell again for the appreciated value or again sell it for the same price you bought. That another worst case option. If you're not getting appreciation when you sold after three years or foreclose. But remember you have advantage of tax credits on mortgage interest and property tax in addition to your equity on principle. At the end it's win win situation, but you will have satisfaction of having home there and carry those memories if you happen to return.
This is what we call speculation. And this is what led US to the current disaster.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute lifestrikes has a reputation beyond repute

I did similar calculation when I got my home 2.5 years back. What you have said is absolutely right, but there are more additional expenses that will come with home ownership.

My teammate did the same calculation and in Winter his Natural Gas bill was $225. I smiled and replied " Now you know the True Cost of Home Ownership"

Just be aware of that too. But, overall it will work out to be better in long run.

We try to keep out Utility Bills ( Gas, Power and Water) between $160 to $180 (per month). It does take lot of effort to maintain that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajrangbali View Post
Folks, I am getting into the market with 340K townhome(3BR/2BA). With 5% down, here are the monthly costs:

mortgage: 1800
hoa: 200
prop. tax: 500
pmi: 200

total: 2700

tax benefits: 1400+500 * .25 = ~500
net total: 2200

current rent: 2150

sacrifices: 30mins added to commute in current job

That said, my upfront costs came upto 20K for downpayment, searching travel(gas+tolls).
Got 20K in credit cards to recover that cost in case... you know why

Old 07-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice unseenguy is just really nice

I just watched Suze Orman show this weekend and to most callers she advised not to BUY until they were COMFORTABLE buying and she also said that even if rent was equal to monthly payment, the property taxes and insurance were the FLEX portion of it which could negatively impact.

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
sk2006 is infamous around these parts sk2006 is infamous around these parts sk2006 is infamous around these parts sk2006 is infamous around these parts sk2006 is infamous around these parts sk2006 is infamous around these parts sk2006 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unseenguy View Post
I just watched Suze Orman show this weekend and to most callers she advised not to BUY until they were COMFORTABLE buying and she also said that even if rent was equal to monthly payment, the property taxes and insurance were the FLEX portion of it which could negatively impact.

Remember, Suze used to say housing investment is the best invstment one can make and I heard her say that she was wrong.. She further said economy will trun around sometime in 2015! (...very optimistic...)

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
nousername is infamous around these parts
Default Sk2006 and Suze are correct

All these calculations go down the drain if you lose the job or hours.. Buy the house when you are 100% sure, as Sk2006 and Suze said.

House is a big black hole which keeps on sucking the money.. There is no end as to how much you can spend to both maintain and make your house look nice.

To begin with you need 20% down (now days) which in Bay Area can easily be $100K if not more. There after you have additional closing cost, which most of us forget about but can account for another $5K to $10K (depending upon points, etc..).

Next you move into the house and decide to change few things around like paint, change some doors, kids room, back yard, etc and before you know you are down another $15K-$20K..

This is not the end but on an average you can expect to spend $500/month on upkeep and adding furniture, etc.. There is no limit (i say this again and again).

Finally you must have at least 6 months total expense (mortgage, food, car payment, insurance, etc..) in your savings account..

BTW, I'm a home owner since late 2008. I bought in a very good school district hence the price did not go down by a lot (only 5%) and is now coming back up but still I would not recommend people jumping into buying a property if they are not 100% sure, make it 110% sure..

Quote:
Folks, I am getting into the market with 340K townhome(3BR/2BA). With 5% down, here are the monthly costs:

That said, my upfront costs came upto 20K for downpayment, searching travel(gas+tolls).

Last edited by nousername; 07-07-2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: typo

Old 07-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute pmpforgc has a reputation beyond repute
Default When Prices will Drop in INDIA for HOUSE

I just want bought house in Atlanta area. Now I want to buy one in India.

India Housing situation seems totally different. I went two yrs back and felt prices were too high for me (with US Income ) to Buy house in INDIA? I dontg know how people buy so costly properties in INDIA every day, with no much sources of income for middle class family>

Also one strange thing is after every two three years in Most area they ask for double price than today? I dont know how that much property value can appreciate?

So do you experienced people think that property values in INDIA are highly inflated and bubble will bust some day soon to get it closer to the real earning power of the middle class salaried person.

I have one house in India at ANAND (milk capital) and want to Buy other one in AHMEDABAD if can get in my budget (20-25 Lakh) in good developing area. If you have some idea of AHMEDABAD Market give your thoughts on Local Market also.

I think we had enough discussion on Buying /Renting lets try different topic in Housing!!!

Thanks for your valuable suggestions.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:58 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bajrangbali has a spectacular aura about bajrangbali has a spectacular aura about
Default good points

Quote:
Originally Posted by nousername View Post
All these calculations go down the drain if you lose the job or hours.. Buy the house when you are 100% sure, as Sk2006 and Suze said.
Losing job affects both rent and mortgage. Where I live, I have to sign 1yr lease and if for any reason I have to move out early I must pay rent for all remaining months.

Quote:

House is a big black hole which keeps on sucking the money.. There is no end as to how much you can spend to both maintain and make your house look nice.
I am not buying a house I want, I am just buying a house I need.

Quote:
To begin with you need 20% down (now days) which in Bay Area can easily be $100K if not more. There after you have additional closing cost, which most of us forget about but can account for another $5K to $10K (depending upon points, etc..).

Next you move into the house and decide to change few things around like paint, change some doors, kids room, back yard, etc and before you know you are down another $15K-$20K..

This is not the end but on an average you can expect to spend $500/month on upkeep and adding furniture, etc.. There is no limit (i say this again and again).

Finally you must have at least 6 months total expense (mortgage, food, car payment, insurance, etc..) in your savings account..

BTW, I'm a home owner since late 2008. I bought in a very good school district hence the price did not go down by a lot (only 5%) and is now coming back up but still I would not recommend people jumping into buying a property if they are not 100% sure, make it 110% sure..
All the things you listed are add-ons which can be spent sparingly depending on the need. I listed the monthly payments only. As someone mentioned, utilities will be a bit more..I live in a townhome now and the one I am buying would have around the same utilities.

I would not put more than 5% down though I have to pay PMI. Anyways guys...I do not want to argue anymore...no point..I am happy with my choice and wish you all the same..

Old 07-08-2009, 05:49 AM
Priority Date
:
May-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/25/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/27/2012
Compare
bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute bondgoli007 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Excellant and very well written!!

One of the absolutely well written pieces of home owning factors ever written!! good job mate.

I would recommend this piece to anyone planning to buy a home. I plan to copy this and pass it around my pals who are weighing the pros and cons of buying a home.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddonhead View Post
Well - thanks for Sledge_hammer for pointing out at least one more factor which should figure in this tipping point theorem. Man - this is getting complex. But then - didn't I tell ya?

The current factors are
1. Interest
2. Property taxes.
3. Maintenance.
4. Opportunity cost for flexibility
5. Savings factor (dollar value for probability of spending money instead of saving)

We need to add two more factors:
6. Inflation favoring net borrowers
7. Dollar value for probability for buying more house than you need.

Let me explain.

Inflation:
Inflation always favors those are net borrowers. If you have a net worth (home equity + cash position + stocks + any other assets - ALL loans) of less than zero - then inflation is your friend, as you are borrowing more costly "money" and paying with "cheaper" money which has a lower Net Present Value. If you have a net worth in the positive - then inflation is your enemy. In case of housing - you will most probably be in the negative territory since your total loan would far outweigh your equity and other assets for a few years.
Its very difficult to attach a dollar value to this factor. A few things that play into it are
A. Risk associated with being a net borrower. Some people have high risk tolerance - in that they are willing to take risks for very little return and some other people demand much higher return. So this is very subjective.
B. You will probably not stay a net borrower forever (unless you have far more serious issues beyond the scope of this discussion). After the first 10/12 years (whatever time it takes for your loan balance to fall below your equity and other asset values) - you will be a networth positive individual as far as your house is concerned. From that time onwards - inflation works against you. Your house prices will probably keep up with inflation. but that same equity tied up in a better investment vehicle would probably give returns exceeding inflation.

Dollar value for probability for buying more house than you need
I currently rent a 2 bedroom apartment. A common psychology I have seen in buyers is to buy a 4 bedroom house because he is buying with future needs. First of all - I cant imagine why a family of 4 will need 4 bedrooms (and I grew up in a huge house with 9 bedrooms myself). Secondly, even if you will need it X number of years in the future - you are paying for cost to carry this house for those X years.

Northern California State Chapter

Old 07-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts sledge_hammer is infamous around these parts

bajrangbali,

Congratulations if you already have bought, or good luck if you're still in the process!

In your case it absolutely makes sense to be a homeowner than a renter. 5% is a good rate since it was as high as 5.5% the last 2 months.

1. Why is HOA so expensive in your area? What does it cover?
2. $500 in tax for a $340,000 home? Whoa!
3. How old are the homes?
4. Also, try to see if you qualify for FHA. There are many benefits to it.

Happy homeowning!

Quote:

Last edited by sledge_hammer; 07-08-2009 at 11:16 AM.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/02/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
hiralal is infamous around these parts hiralal is infamous around these parts hiralal is infamous around these parts hiralal is infamous around these parts

just wondering the rents that are posted in this thread ..2200 ..is that for a house or an apartment or is it from hot air ?? (I understand that people will come up with any numbers to justify their home buying decision ) from what I see apartment rents are falling all over..good for renters as vacancies rise
---------------------------------
The vacancy rate for U.S. apartments reached its highest level in more than 20 years in the second quarter and could soon exceed record highs if the recession persists, real estate research firm Reis Inc said.

The national vacancy rate rose to 7.5 percent, the highest since 1987 and an increase of 1.4 percentage points from last year, according to a report Reis released on Wednesday. The record high was 7.8 percent in 1986.

"We are reaching that historic high very quickly," said Victor Calanog, Reis director of research.

The second-quarter vacancy rate was 0.20 percentage point higher than the prior quarter and up from the cyclical low 5.5 percent reached in 2006, Reis said.

The U.S. recession has taken a toll on the U.S. apartment market, which largely relies on employment growth to fuel demand. Its largest tenant group, 18- to 24-year-olds, has been hardest hit by rising unemployment. Meanwhile, the apartment buildings sector has led all commercial real estate categories

on loan defaults.

Second-quarter asking rent fell 0.7 percent from a year earlier to $1,040 a month, and 0.6 percent from the prior quarter, the largest single quarterly decline since Reis began tracking quarterly data in 1999.

Last edited by hiralal; 07-08-2009 at 09:36 AM.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/16/2007
Chargeability
:
Cyprus
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
gapala is infamous around these parts gapala is infamous around these parts
Default Property Tax - a difference maker..

Its July and property tax times at our area...

Rented apartment 2 bed Apartment for 1400 / month less than a mile away from home.

House purchase price : 495 K
2007-2008 assessment by county : 400 K - Taxes 3500 - 470 credit = 3030

2008-2009 assessment is 442630 Taxes State and county 4760 - Credit of 580 = 4180.

2009-2010 assessment is 486500 Taxes 5260 - credit 690 = 4570

Thats about 380 per month (numbers rounded up to 10's) . More than dollar a day right? (27% of the rent paid as Tax?)

Current market price for same/similar home is around 400K (95K under water).

When prices for homes go down, How is that assessment value for tax purpose goes up???
May be we should ask county, who assessed value higher than market in these times.. to sell it for us at that price

We generally overlook these factors while we do that Rent vs. Buy...along with other stuff..

Last edited by gapala; 07-08-2009 at 04:40 PM.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bajrangbali has a spectacular aura about bajrangbali has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiralal View Post
just wondering the rents that are posted in this thread ..2200 ..is that for a house or an apartment or is it from hot air ?? (I understand that people will come up with any numbers to justify their home buying decision ) from what I see apartment rents are falling all over..good for renters as vacancies rise
Please check rents in the NY(manhattan)/NJ(hudson county) areas for a decent 2bedroom apartment. 2150 is a conservative rent by those standards any folks living in manhattan, newport??

And compare that to condo/townhomes in central NJ (middlesex county)...hope you find your answers

Last edited by bajrangbali; 07-08-2009 at 04:56 PM.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/16/2007
Chargeability
:
Cyprus
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare

Quote:
Please check rents in the NY(manhattan)/NJ(hudson county) areas for a decent 2bedroom apartment. 2150 is a conservative rent by those standards any folks living in manhattan, newport??

And compare that to condo/townhomes in central NJ (middlesex county)...hope you find your answers
Aha... that makes sense... and sounds about right... way to go buy a home

Last edited by gapala; 07-08-2009 at 05:06 PM.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/16/2007
Chargeability
:
Cyprus
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
Default PMI predicts House prices will fall till 2011

PMI Group Inc.'s (PMI) PMI Mortgage Insurance Co.'s second-quarter risk index showed U.S. housing prices will likely be lower in two years.

The report said as many as 85% of the country's 381 metropolitan areas are facing an increased risk of lower home prices in 2011, with Florida, California and Nevada continuing to be at the highest risk.

Among the country's 50 most populated metro areas, the PMI study showed 28 to be in the highest risk category, signaling the greatest probability for lower house prices by the first quarter of 2011.

The credit crisis was set off after the housing bubble deflated and popped - and that crisis only reinforced an extremely difficult dynamic in the housing market.

"Rapidly rising foreclosures and unemployment rates, continuing declines in house prices and weakening consumer demand all worked to increase risk in the general economy, and the housing market specifically," said PMI chief economist and strategist David Berson.

The report said home affordability increased across the country because of lower home prices and mortgage rates, as well as the still-rising unemployment rate, which put downward pressure on prices.
... Article - WSJ.com
U.S. Home Prices to Fall Through 2011’s First Quarter (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

Old 07-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/02/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
hiralal is infamous around these parts hiralal is infamous around these parts hiralal is infamous around these parts hiralal is infamous around these parts

Quote:

whoops ...am I missing something ?? it seems from your post atleast that you are comparing apples to oranges ..let me know if I am wrong (btw ..I am not very familiar with NY area though I have been there as a visitor ).
i.e. comparing rent in Manhattan to the cost of house in NJ ??? in mumbai it is like comparing Colaba with Virar (or new mumbai ..which is more correct).

btw I did guess that you must be referring to Manhattan or SFO ..but unfortunately home prices in those areas are still destined to fall by 10% atleast ..