Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Interesting Topics
Click to log in with Facebook
Interesting Topics This forum is to discuss any topic of interest to members and to gossip about anything that members prefer. All the terms of the forum and terms of use of the website do apply to this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/03/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/03/2007
Compare
mayhemt has a reputation beyond repute mayhemt has a reputation beyond repute mayhemt has a reputation beyond repute mayhemt has a reputation beyond repute mayhemt has a reputation beyond repute mayhemt has a reputation beyond repute mayhemt has a reputation beyond repute mayhemt has a reputation beyond repute mayhemt has a reputation beyond repute mayhemt has a reputation beyond repute mayhemt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasun View Post
This is by far one of the best threads on the board. Not sure if this thread was closed - if thats the case, sorry for reopening. Just wanted to share my recent experience with USCIS. recently, I went for Visa stamping and the officer questioned why I started working for new employer on the H1b visa receipt. She said I am legally allowed to start work only after H1b Visa approval. I told her our immigration attorney said that you can legally work on visa receipt. She literally said, 'you are alien in US and are allowed to stay here temporarily only after USCIS approves your H1b Visa transfer application.' judging by her demeanor, I was thinking - man, I stayed in this country for 12 years now i.e. almost half of my life and they will kick me out anyday anytime just because the officer at that time does not know the rules correctly. tell me one good reason (other than family/kids) that I should invest even a single penny in buying house in this country.
Absolutely...
However nothing is risk free. We drive the car around the town, on the highways (sometimes more than the speed limit) although we know, that there could be accidents - even though YOU are a safe drive, the other guy could be at fault/wrong doing. Still we accept the risk, as the reward far outweighs the risk. There are tons of examples - prescription medication (who knows, your doctor and your pharmacist were 100% accurate in prescribing the drug and packaging), food you eat (salmonella etc), air you breathe (pollen, flu etc).. You don't stop breathing, do you?
We just evaluate risks, forget about them and just live the day!
Not sure if it was truly Dalai Lama, but somebody fwded me the following as His quote:

“What thing about humanity surprises you the most?”
His answer was as follows:

Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money
Then he sacrifices his money to recuperate his health
And then he is so anxious about the future that he doesn’t enjoy the present,
And as a result he doesn’t live in the present or the future
And he lives as if he’s never going to die, and then he dies having never really lived

Life may not be a party · But while we're here we might as well dance
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
EB1
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
PlainSpeak is infamous around these parts PlainSpeak is infamous around these parts PlainSpeak is infamous around these parts PlainSpeak is infamous around these parts PlainSpeak is infamous around these parts PlainSpeak is infamous around these parts PlainSpeak is infamous around these parts PlainSpeak is infamous around these parts PlainSpeak is infamous around these parts PlainSpeak is infamous around these parts PlainSpeak is infamous around these parts

Aaayne wala pal jaane wala hai
Ho sake to isme jindage bethalo
Pal yeh bhi jaana walaa hai

Translation...

The coming moment will come and go
Try to live life in this moment
This moment will also go away

I know it does not sound great in English but sounds perfect in Hindi and it makes perfect sense in all languages

0 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:07 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is by far one of the best threads on the board. Not sure if this thread was closed - if thats the case, sorry for reopening. Just wanted to share my recent experience with USCIS. recently, I went for Visa stamping and the officer questioned why I started working for new employer on the H1b visa receipt. She said I am legally allowed to start work only after H1b Visa approval. I told her our immigration attorney said that you can legally work on visa receipt. She literally said, 'you are alien in US and are allowed to stay here temporarily only after USCIS approves your H1b Visa transfer application.' judging by her demeanor, I was thinking - man, I stayed in this country for 12 years now i.e. almost half of my life and they will kick me out anyday anytime just because the officer at that time does not know the rules correctly. tell me one good reason (other than family/kids) that I should invest even a single penny in buying house in this country.
Other than family/kids ?

If you have a family and kids, what is the purpose of earning/living if it is not for them?

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by insbaby View Post
Other than family/kids ?

If you have a family and kids, what is the purpose of earning/living if it is not for them?
i meant - some ppl look for house because of 3 kids and they need more space. and some (wife, one kid) like me do not need that extra space and are comfortable living in a 2 bed room apt.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
bitzbytz is infamous around these parts bitzbytz is infamous around these parts bitzbytz is infamous around these parts bitzbytz is infamous around these parts bitzbytz is infamous around these parts bitzbytz is infamous around these parts bitzbytz is infamous around these parts bitzbytz is infamous around these parts bitzbytz is infamous around these parts bitzbytz is infamous around these parts bitzbytz is infamous around these parts

I think its unfair to say that more space is not needed until you experience it. I was one of those who thought the same but stayed in a house for a month and then relaized what a house can offer compared to a apt.

I still hate the HOA for restrictions and the lack of freedom compared to house in India but I have to let go of the freedom to get a good atmosphere of the locality.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute insbaby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i meant - some ppl look for house because of 3 kids and they need more space. and some (wife, one kid) like me do not need that extra space and are comfortable living in a 2 bed room apt.
Thats that we think. Ask your wife what a 'home' is meant to her, ask your kid if they are 4 years old, what it means to them.

When it is valued with money on the other plate, it is only a BUILDING, it becomes a HOME when you put love on the other plate.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute floridasun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by insbaby View Post
Thats that we think. Ask your wife what a 'home' is meant to her, ask your kid if they are 4 years old, what it means to them.

When it is valued with money on the other plate, it is only a BUILDING, it becomes a HOME when you put love on the other plate.
well, that's called 'American Dream' !! I am happy living my 'modest dream' or should I say ground reality.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/26/2011
Chargeability
:
Pakistan
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/26/2011
Compare
forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of forgerator has much to be proud of

Quote:
you don't have to buy a home. You can easily rent one in the interim, until your greencard gets approved. I think this is the best strategy for those who want that extra space and lifestyle but do not want to take on the hassle of getting mortgage while on greencard.
2007 Oct - hold due to layoffs
2008 May - Prevailing Wage completed
2008 Oct - Complete Recruitment
2008 Nov - PERM filed
2009 May - PERM approved
2009 July - 140 Approved (waiting)
2010 Nov - new EB2 ROW app with same firm
2010 Dec - Prevailing Wage completed
2011 Feb - Complete Recruitment process
2011 Apr - PERM filed
2011 Jun - PERM approved
2011 Aug - 140/485 concurrently filed

2012 Jun - Greened !!

Old 04-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/23/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Compare
Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Buying house is a personal choice (no right or wrong) ... but from financial perspective, now is not a bad time to buy real estate in places with low interest rates (US and Europe) and fallen property prices.

You get to leverage your investment on cheap (interest rates are at under 5% now) and if inflation kicks in, your investment stays better protected.

Also, if you are not eligible for normal tax breaks due to income level, then interest on mortgage is a consolation prize while filing your tax returns!

As far as long term prospects, in today's uncertain world, it is getting more and more difficult to stay planted in one place/country for lifetime, so always plan what you want to do with real estate if you need to move (renting out while you find the buyer is a good idea as suggested earlier!)...

Old 04-25-2011, 03:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitzbytz View Post
I think its unfair to say that more space is not needed until you experience it. I was one of those who thought the same but stayed in a house for a month and then relaized what a house can offer compared to a apt.

I still hate the HOA for restrictions and the lack of freedom compared to house in India but I have to let go of the freedom to get a good atmosphere of the locality.
Exactly! I literally saw my manager realizing this. His friend bought a house for $1.2M. When my manager visited his house a couple time, he was thrilled by what it offers and seeing kids play in the backyard. He then bought a house for $1.4M. He never had any thought of buying a home though he could afford.