Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Interesting Topics
Click to log in with Facebook
Interesting Topics This forum is to discuss any topic of interest to members and to gossip about anything that members prefer. All the terms of the forum and terms of use of the website do apply to this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
shahlivefree is infamous around these parts shahlivefree is infamous around these parts
Default Formed an LLC while on H1B visa with I-140 approved

Hi,

I have formed an LLC. I am the only owner. My business hasnít made any profit yet.

I know that H1B is allowed to invest in business. Iím still waiting for my priority date to file I-485. I heard that the LLC tax filing could trigger an issue during the process of I-485 filing. I am wondering does anyone know any ways to avoid these problems?

Please share your workable solutions. I donít want to hear something like you canít do it because such a biased immigration system is not fair for India or ChinaÖ. We only live once guys. Letís make the most of our life. I supported HR3012 and made contributions toward it. Anyways, please help.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:46 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2007
Compare
GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute GCHope2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahlivefree View Post
Hi,

I have formed an LLC. I am the only owner. My business hasnít made any profit yet.

I know that H1B is allowed to invest in business. Iím still waiting for my priority date to file I-485. I heard that the LLC tax filing could trigger an issue during the process of I-485 filing. I am wondering does anyone know any ways to avoid these problems?

Please share your workable solutions. I donít want to hear something like you canít do it because such a biased immigration system is not fair for India or ChinaÖ. We only live once guys. Letís make the most of our life. I supported HR3012 and made contributions toward it. Anyways, please help.
Ownership of a LLC is not a problem. The question is - who works for the LLC? How is LLC producing any revenues/ costs? You are not allowed to work for the LLC in whatever capacity. If you are the only employee of the LLC and the revenues and costs of the LLC are based on your efforts, then you are in violation of H1B provisions.
RFE: BC in 2009/ Proof of Employment Authorization on July 8th, 2011
Greened on 07/16/2011
Cards Received on 07/21/2011

Old 05-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
shahlivefree is infamous around these parts shahlivefree is infamous around these parts

Thanks, GCHope2011. I knew the obstacles. I am wondering is there a way to change the LLC tax filing status, so that it shows I am actually INVESTING in my business? (I'm investing my hard earned money and time.) Anyone knows the answer? You could send me a private message if you want. Thanks!!

Old 05-29-2012, 08:10 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Good morning, could anyone answer my question?

Old 05-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
what_if is just really nice what_if is just really nice what_if is just really nice what_if is just really nice
Default You'll need a GC or US citizen partner..

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahlivefree View Post
Good morning, could anyone answer my question?
You need to tap a GC holder or US citizen's partner to make this work. You can give that person a 5% stake (and some remuneration, if needed) for agreeing to be an active partner and own 95% stake as a passive LLC partner. Since you'll be a passive LLC partner, it would be an investment (vs. work). When you file your taxes, make sure you or your tax accountant emphasizes on the passive role you are playing (there's some section where you are asked about it).

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
what_if is just really nice what_if is just really nice what_if is just really nice what_if is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by what_if View Post
You need to tap a GC holder or US citizen's partner to make this work. You can give that person a 5% stake (and some remuneration, if needed) for agreeing to be an active partner and own 95% stake as a passive LLC partner. Since you'll be a passive LLC partner, it would be an investment (vs. work). When you file your taxes, make sure you or your tax accountant emphasizes on the passive role you are playing (there's some section where you are asked about it).
Sorry, I meant "US citizen as a partner" and not "US citizen's partner".

Old 05-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
kiran_pathuri has a reputation beyond repute kiran_pathuri has a reputation beyond repute kiran_pathuri has a reputation beyond repute kiran_pathuri has a reputation beyond repute kiran_pathuri has a reputation beyond repute kiran_pathuri has a reputation beyond repute kiran_pathuri has a reputation beyond repute kiran_pathuri has a reputation beyond repute kiran_pathuri has a reputation beyond repute kiran_pathuri has a reputation beyond repute kiran_pathuri has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by what_if View Post
When filing taxes for an LLC, you can file in two ways.
1) As a partnership company, where the income or loss will become part of each partner's income as per their share and active partners pay 15% additional self employment tax. You will use form 1065 to report your company's income and then Sheet K will be provided to each partner by the managing partner or tax preparer. You will use this to file your individual taxes.
2) File the taxes as of filing a corporation. In this you first need to elect to make your LLC as a corporation for taxation purposes by filing form 8832 with IRS. Then your LLC will pay the taxes to IRS, note here the corporation pays taxes here as against reporting in the first case. Every partner pay the 15% corporate tax on the share they receive (That is what Mitt Romney pays for his investment income ).

And also with option 2, you need to keep paying estimated taxes quarterly. If you make no money, still you need to report this to IRS. With option 1, you file taxes once a year only.

Any partner who own 50% or more in an LLC is considered an active partner, so option 1 won't work for you as you are the only partner. You may be able to use the option 2 and probably you are safe. Go through IRS's publication 3402 which explains the taxation of an LLC for more details. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p3402.pdf

Old 05-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute gk_2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Outsource the dev work, if it is an IT co. Maybe you have some relative in your country?
You can simply hold "shareholder meeting" to get to know the status of the work..

Old 05-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/18/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Compare
bpratap has a reputation beyond repute bpratap has a reputation beyond repute bpratap has a reputation beyond repute bpratap has a reputation beyond repute bpratap has a reputation beyond repute bpratap has a reputation beyond repute bpratap has a reputation beyond repute bpratap has a reputation beyond repute bpratap has a reputation beyond repute bpratap has a reputation beyond repute bpratap has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pro-bono

Cant the owner of LLC be Pro-Bono (No remuneration ) ?

Old 03-15-2017, 12:44 PM
Facebook User
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tavish.sandstorm is on a distinguished road
Default LLC on H1B for real estate

Hi, what about forming an LLC just for real estate? I do not do any work on it, the management company does all the work to fix, rent it out, collect the rent, etc. I only create the LLC to put the properties in there for liability protection and earn passive income.
Any thoughts/opinion on if I am violating the H1b status and will it have any impact to my GC eligibility in future?