Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Interesting Topics
Click to log in with Facebook
Interesting Topics This forum is to discuss any topic of interest to members and to gossip about anything that members prefer. All the terms of the forum and terms of use of the website do apply to this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute waitingnwaiting has a reputation beyond repute
Default Indian Passport renewal through VFS

I am supposed to renew my passport through VFS service . Could you please share your experience. How long does it take?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
saikrishn2000 is infamous around these parts saikrishn2000 is infamous around these parts saikrishn2000 is infamous around these parts saikrishn2000 is infamous around these parts
Default Indian Passport renewal through VFS

I just renewed my passport last month through VFS houston. it was quick, i got my new passport back in 10 days. Thanks

Old 03-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bennyd20 is on a distinguished road
Default Indian Passport Renewal Experience in Houston - by post

I found someone on one of the forums who helped me with his prior experience and I decided to go ahead to renew my passport at the Houston Consulate by mail (I am from Georgia).
I sent my application by Fedex ground shipping with signature receipt on April 5, 2012 and to my surprise received the renewed passport (along with the old one) on April 21, 2012. Please note that my application was not Tatkal but normal and even in normal I got my passport in less than 3 weeks.

I prepared a covering letter and followed the format available at www..com/indian-passport-renewal-cover-letter

Indian Passport Renewal in America - Documents Checklist

Following were the documents I sent -

1. Original current passport (number ZXXXXXX)
2. Completed application Form with 3 photographs.
3. Money Order of 60$ (inclusive $20 for return mail service)
4. Copy of the first 5 pages and last 2 pages of the passport
5. Notarized copy of US Driving License and GNG Bill.
6. Notarized copy of work authorization H1B form I-797 approval.
7. Notarized copy of the visa stamp on the passport
8. Notarized copy of I-94 document.
9. Notarized copy of Degree Certificate ( for ECNR)
10. Notarized copy of Marriage certificate (for spouse name inclusion)

Please note that I had sent the notarized copy of everything except the passport pages. I believe that is very important.

Indian Passport Renewal in USA - Photos :
Also, there was a confusion regarding the passport photos. The consulate website says 3.5cmx3.5cm but in the application form it says 2x2in. I was very confused about it and finally could search few people who gave 2x2in. Here in US the passport picture is 22 in and its tough to get 3.5cmx3.5cm. I went to many places but could not get 3.53.5 hence I took the risk and sent 2x2in pictures taken at Costco and it worked for me.

Conclusion Advice
I hope this experience will help you in some way. My suggestion to you is not to wait for the last moment. If you are within one year of passport expiry, please go ahead with application and send notarized copies. I will not be able to judge for you whether to do Tatkal or not. If you are willing to wait for 3 to 4 weeks then you can do normal. If you want earlier than that maybe you can go for tatkal. Again it is my suggestion, the final decision is yours.

Thank you,
Benny

Old 03-25-2013, 08:18 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute chakdepatte has a reputation beyond repute
Default what if there is no one that notarizes photocopies?

I need the photocopies notarized but not of the notary folks are ready to do so. any alternatives or suggestions?

Old 03-25-2013, 09:39 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2012
Compare
LondonTown is a splendid one to behold LondonTown is a splendid one to behold LondonTown is a splendid one to behold LondonTown is a splendid one to behold LondonTown is a splendid one to behold LondonTown is a splendid one to behold LondonTown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingnwaiting View Post
I am supposed to renew my passport through VFS service . Could you please share your experience. How long does it take?
Took around 5-6 weeks in Atlanta.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
cibercudlar has a reputation beyond repute cibercudlar has a reputation beyond repute cibercudlar has a reputation beyond repute cibercudlar has a reputation beyond repute cibercudlar has a reputation beyond repute cibercudlar has a reputation beyond repute cibercudlar has a reputation beyond repute cibercudlar has a reputation beyond repute cibercudlar has a reputation beyond repute cibercudlar has a reputation beyond repute cibercudlar has a reputation beyond repute

I got my photocopies notarized by a designated public notary in the couty service center, normally the service centers are present in the library buidlings, you can try reaching out to them. They do charge a nominal fee for this service.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
09/25/2005
Compare
DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Applied for renewal at Washington DC by mail, got renewed passport + old in mail (FedEx) on 6th day.