Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Interesting Topics
Click to log in with Facebook
Interesting Topics This forum is to discuss any topic of interest to members and to gossip about anything that members prefer. All the terms of the forum and terms of use of the website do apply to this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 06:00 PM
Facebook User
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sonalm is on a distinguished road
Default do not have spouse passport copy for passport renewal after 10 years

Hello,
I am in an urgent need to renew my passport as I need to be in India for filing a bigamy case against my husband. My husband has contracted a 2nd marriage without my knowledge and is currently living in India with his 2nd wife. I came to know about this fact recently. My advocate has advised me that the legal proceedings may take anywhere between a few months to 2 years and that I will have to make frequent visits to India in the interim. As my passport is expiring soon, I need to renew it as soon as possible.

Further, as my husband has stopped all communication from his end, he is not cooperating in sharing his passport copy with me which is a required document for renewing my passport. In this regard, can someone advise me how I should go about renewing my passport without his passport copy/ID proof. I can furnish an official copy of my marriage certificate and our pictures together. I also have his passport number, his parentís name and his address mentioned in the passport.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2014, 06:37 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/21/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute
Default You can renew your own passport yourself

You do not need anyone else's passport to renew yours. If you are a foreign national just go your country's embassy and follow procedure generally also available on their respective websites. If you are a US national then just go to the post office. Now if you are referring to a visa that might be a different ball game.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:51 AM
Facebook User
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Thanks for your reply, saketkapur. I appreciate it.

I was under the same impression that I shouldn't need my spouse's passport copy for renewal but unfortunately, that's not the case. Here's the link that lists the required documents:
BLS Inernational Services Ltd->

As my marital status has changed since I last renewed my passport, I have to mention that I am married. In that case I have to provide his passport copy. Or else, I just lie and say never married.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:57 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/21/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute saketkapur has a reputation beyond repute

Please read carefully the requitement is only needed to add spouse's name to your passport. If you do not want to add it to your passport's last page you don't need it. By that logic only couples will be able to renew which does not make sense.
Also you will need a valid passport to stay in the US too so its not an option to let it expire.
I had renewed my passport last year and nobody asked for it. I had no issues renewing it. If you still have queries just call BLS directly or maybe even take an appointment at the consulate.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:02 PM
Facebook User
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

I see. Then I have to lie while filling out my application form saying 'never married'/'single'. That way it doesn't prompt me for spouse's name. Also, tried contacting the New York Indian passport office (BLS) as well as the Indian consulate by sending emails and phone calls. No replies yet. So I'm guessing I'll have to fly to NY to get this done.

Will update this thread so anyone in a similar predicament can benefit.

Thanks again saketkapur for taking the time to reply.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:17 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/21/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare

Ok it looks like you have posted this question on multiple forums and pretty much got the same answer.
And I will highly recommended you against lying on any application. I read the same BLS link and it clearly states you only need spouse's passport information if you want to add him/her to your passport. There is another link below on the BLS website showing just plain renewal procedure and it does not need any documents from spouse.
Why are you hell bent upon unnecessarily complicating your case?

Old 04-16-2015, 11:42 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
anitharajan333 is on a distinguished road
Default do not have spouse passport copy for passport renewal after 10 years

Hi Sonal,
Did you finally receive the passport renewed.Im also in the same situation as yours.pls let me know anitharajan333@gmail.com

Old 12-26-2015, 04:17 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
prasi is on a distinguished road
Default spouse doesn't have passport

my passport is going to expire in 6 months and marital status on my original passport is Single. Now i am married and want to renew my passport. But my spouse doesn;t have a passport and is in India.

I called up passport BLS office in NewYork and asked them if it is mandatory to include spouse name on passport for married people if not already mentioned on passport.
and they said Yes, it is mandatory to have spouse name on passport for married people.

Now to add spouse name on your passport, they need noterized marriage certificate copy and noterised Spouse Passport copy. Both are MANDATORY. they do not accept any other ID proof for spouse.

I told them my spouse doesn't have a passport and is in India. They said, your spouse needs to get a letter from RPO (Regional Passport Office) in India stating that he/she never applied for passport. and have your spouse send that letter to you which you need to submit along with your passport renewal application form.

The only other option i have is renew my passport with marital status as 'Single' and then after my spouse gets a passport, apply again for inclusion of spouse name on passport... but i don't like being dishonest or lie.
Will keep posted on how it goes...

Old 02-16-2016, 05:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
kbsaravana is on a distinguished road

Hey,

I'm also in the same suitation now. could you guys plse suggest any idea

Old 02-16-2016, 06:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
kbsaravana is on a distinguished road

prasi, could you share what you hv done?

Old 02-17-2016, 03:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
wetfeet80 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsaravana View Post
prasi, could you share what you hv done?
Just for the sake of clarity, the spouse passport copy along with marriage certificates will be required "ONLY" if someone wants to get their spouse name endorsed in the passport.

This kind of endorsement is not a mandatory one. I am writing this so that others don't get the impression that such endorsement is mandatory for passport renewals.