Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Interesting Topics
Click to log in with Facebook
Interesting Topics This forum is to discuss any topic of interest to members and to gossip about anything that members prefer. All the terms of the forum and terms of use of the website do apply to this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2015, 11:36 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rghangrekar is on a distinguished road
Default Transit visa at Frankfurt airport with EAD/AP

I apologize for asking a question that has been asked before. But I wanted to find out if someone has latest experience of travel to USA via Frankfurt using EAD/AP. My wife and kids are travelling back to USA on May 29'th and I did not realize my wife may need a transit visa. As per Lufthansa, my wife does not she the layover is just 2 hours. As per German mission site in Mumbai, it seems she does since she has an AP. Though it says AP and approved I797 (not sure if this is a conditional AND). I am confused. The VFS office site says it takes a minimum 10 days to get a short term visa. We do not have those many days left. I am contemplating just taking the risk with no visa or biting the bullet and booking a direct United Airlines flight.

Any help from recent Frankfurt to USA travellers using AP would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Rajiv

Old 05-17-2015, 05:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Compare
vijay1974 is a splendid one to behold vijay1974 is a splendid one to behold vijay1974 is a splendid one to behold vijay1974 is a splendid one to behold vijay1974 is a splendid one to behold vijay1974 is a splendid one to behold vijay1974 is a splendid one to behold
Default You don't need visa

I traveled with family last year via Frankfurt on EAD\Advance Parole. I was confused as German Consulate said we need Visa while airlines said we don't. We finally went with airlines. At airport in Frankfurt, we didn't face any any issue. No one asked\checked our visa status.
Vijay
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 05-17-2015, 05:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Thanks Vijay

That helps a lot. I actually bought a UA direct flight ticket to be safe but may cancel it since they allow full refund within 24 hours.

So, did anyone check or ask for the EAD and AP? I do not have the combo card, still keep getting the AP paper sheet. Not sure if that matters or not.

Thank you for reply again. Helps me a lot.

Thanks,
Rajiv

Old 05-17-2015, 05:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Compare
vijay1974 is a splendid one to behold vijay1974 is a splendid one to behold vijay1974 is a splendid one to behold vijay1974 is a splendid one to behold vijay1974 is a splendid one to behold vijay1974 is a splendid one to behold vijay1974 is a splendid one to behold

Nobody asked or Advance Parole or EAD. I don't have combo card. I have separate advance parole and EAD.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Thanks again

One more last question -

Around what time frame did you travel? Was it at the start of the year or near the end. Reason why I am asking this is to know if rules changed between then and now. On the Mumbai German mission site, it is written in bold that Advance Parole is not one of the documents that guarantees a visa free transit. Wonder if that is new or was in place before too when you travelled.

I wish this was better handled and consistent. Sort of makes you nervous all the way till the day of departure. For me particularly, I want to ensure my wife does not face any issues, she has 2 kids with her.

Thank you for your help in this. I need to decide tonight if I should cancel the united direct flight or the lufthansa flight.

Thanks,
Rajiv

Old 05-17-2015, 09:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Compare

Hi Rajiv,
Since she is going with 2 kids, better take a direct flight or go via another route which doesn't need the transit visa. We took a chance as all of us were going together as a family.
We had out bound journey from USA to India from Frankfurt and then inbound from India to USA via Vienna which doesn't need transit visa.
My thinking was that since we are Indian National( Passport being from India), only viable option for them is to send us back to India which we wanted to go anyway.
Still Its not worth the tensions and hassles.
Vijay

Old 05-18-2015, 02:13 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sukhwinderd has a reputation beyond repute sukhwinderd has a reputation beyond repute sukhwinderd has a reputation beyond repute sukhwinderd has a reputation beyond repute sukhwinderd has a reputation beyond repute sukhwinderd has a reputation beyond repute sukhwinderd has a reputation beyond repute sukhwinderd has a reputation beyond repute sukhwinderd has a reputation beyond repute sukhwinderd has a reputation beyond repute sukhwinderd has a reputation beyond repute
Default try these

http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/#

http://www.united.com/web/en-us/apps/vendors/default.aspx?i=timatic

Old 05-20-2015, 09:46 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB1B
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
04/07/2015
Compare
sree2015 is on a distinguished road

When I traveled May 2014 to India our flight was booked through Germany and the AA did not allow me to board the flight as my H1B visa was expired. I was going to stamp it in India. They did not buy my H1B extension approval but was asking a valid visa or green card or transit visa. After hours of struggle with hungry kids and talk with a few officials we had to cancel our flight in the last hour and book another one directly to Mumbai.

On return trip with a new visa was through Germany and I didnt like it at all since we have to getout of the flight using the staircase, and getinto the bus for terminal. With 2 kids and carryons in hands it was really a hassle.

I have no knowledge on the how AP works in this case. Just sharing the worst travel experience I ever had...

Old 05-20-2015, 10:40 AM
Facebook User
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
mnaveed is on a distinguished road
Default visa

if any person want to visit and study in UK so i prefer a website that will you give information about all visa information of UK.
UK Visa & Immigration Guide | Tier 12345 | Study, Work Permits, Visit, Settlement cases

Old 06-01-2015, 10:21 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Default Thank you

Thank you all for your replies and sharing your experiences. I ended up getting a United direct flight from Mumbai to Newark. Ended up spending 3k more than what I had anticipated this trip, but the good thing is that the family is back in the country safe (health wise and immigration wise). I will avoid traveling via Frankfurt or CDG in the future even after getting the GC henceforth.

I had called Lufthansa 3 times to ask about ATV. Twice I was told to follow up with the consulate. The consulate in Mumbai (actually the office that takes the application) told me that the application would take 15 days to process. 15 days to process an ATV !! it should be as simple as checking the passport and the air ticket !! Its either a direct flight or UAE/Etihad route for me henceforth.