Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Interesting Topics
Click to log in with Facebook
Interesting Topics This forum is to discuss any topic of interest to members and to gossip about anything that members prefer. All the terms of the forum and terms of use of the website do apply to this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
gchopes is infamous around these parts gchopes is infamous around these parts gchopes is infamous around these parts gchopes is infamous around these parts
Default Passport Renewal in India

Has anyone renewed their passport via tatkal service in India as against doing it in USA? If yes, how long did the tatkal take? Where would you rather renew the passport - USA or India?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
09/25/2005
Compare
DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute DSLStart has a reputation beyond repute

Renewing passport in India on your vacation is scarier than a horror movie, you can read lot of scary stories if you dig in here. Do it in US if you don't want to invite unnecessary headaches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchopes View Post
Has anyone renewed their passport via tatkal service in India as against doing it in USA? If yes, how long did the tatkal take? Where would you rather renew the passport - USA or India?

Old 08-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of amitga has much to be proud of

Quote:
Getting a green card would be easier than getting passport renewed in India after going from USA.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renew in USA

Quote:
Renew in USA since you have been living here, in many ways it is good for you.

If you are in B1/B2 or certain other special visas, agencies in USA won't renew your passport.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/27/2007
Compare
gchopes is infamous around these parts gchopes is infamous around these parts gchopes is infamous around these parts gchopes is infamous around these parts

Hahaha...When your EB3-I, that is a tough sell...but I will do it in USA..

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitga View Post
Getting a green card would be easier than getting passport renewed in India after going from USA.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/16/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/16/2007
Compare
man-woman-and-gc will become famous soon enough
Default Passport renewal in india

I used tatkal to renew my passport in India in feb this year. i did not have any issues and i got my new passport withing 2 weeks. I did use an agent who helped me fill up the forms and accompanied me to the passport office.
I was adviced not to chnage my address otherwise it will go for police verification which may take time. So if u are going to keep the same address as before and can receive ur passport at the same address as before..there should not be much hassle.
Best Regards

Old 08-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/23/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Compare
Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute Pagal has a reputation beyond repute

The passport office in Mumbai is great...all electronic, no hassles and on-time. If you face any issue, you can arrange for a same-day appointment w the passport officer (yes, no wait/phones/chamchas to go through) and he/she can give a decision on-the-spot.

The consulate offices in US are also ok. It depends on you....renewing it in US would allow you to enjoy a few more days of vacation in India, but if you are under time pressure, renew it in India...