Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Interesting Topics
Click to log in with Facebook
Interesting Topics This forum is to discuss any topic of interest to members and to gossip about anything that members prefer. All the terms of the forum and terms of use of the website do apply to this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
04/10/2005
Compare
baburob2 is on a distinguished road
Default PIO card entering India

My son is a US citizen/passport holder and we are planning on applying for a PIO for him at the SFO consulate. I have the following questions on how he could use the PIO card

1. How can he use the PIO card to enter and exit India?
a. Does he simply show the PIO card, US passport to enter and exit India?
2. Incase if the PIO card processing takes a lot of time I know that he can apply for visa. I was wondering anyone has experience on how visa could be applied if PIO processing takes a long time at the SFO consulate.
a. Do they return the PIO application and its supporting documents before visa could be applied?
b. Should a new visa application+visa supporting documents need to be resent for getting a Indian visa?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2009, 12:52 AM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/18/2007
Compare
sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future sdrblr has a brilliant future

Based on my experience travelling with my son couple of times, I can answer couple of questions.

PIO card looks just like your Indian Passport, difference being color and has just 1 page.
Just present PIO and the US PP and they will look at both and stamp the immigration seal on the PP. They do not do anything with the PP other than recording the PIO # in addition to the US PP #.

While departing the country, they will just look at it again and hand it back and stamp the immigration seal on the PP.

Usually takes 3-4 weeks to get and if you dont have time, I would go with a visa as you can get it the same day. For an infant, I see no diffrence in PIO or a visa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baburob2 View Post
My son is a US citizen/passport holder and we are planning on applying for a PIO for him at the SFO consulate. I have the following questions on how he could use the PIO card

2. Incase if the PIO card processing takes a lot of time I know that he can apply for visa. I was wondering anyone has experience on how visa could be applied if PIO processing takes a long time at the SFO consulate.
a. Do they return the PIO application and its supporting documents before visa could be applied?
b. Should a new visa application+visa supporting documents need to be resent for getting a Indian visa?

Old 10-08-2009, 03:48 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/01/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
04/10/2005
Compare
baburob2 is on a distinguished road

thx.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:01 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/28/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future number30 has a brilliant future

Quote:

For PIO Usually it takes two weeks if you go personally. They will will tell you the date upfront. For PIO They do not take original passport. Hence you can apply for the visa even two days before departure.
Just FYI While applying for PIO or Visa both mom and dad needs to sign otherwise they will send it back.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute frostrated has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrblr View Post
Based on my experience travelling with my son couple of times, I can answer couple of questions.

PIO card looks just like your Indian Passport, difference being color and has just 1 page.
Just present PIO and the US PP and they will look at both and stamp the immigration seal on the PP. They do not do anything with the PP other than recording the PIO # in addition to the US PP #.

While departing the country, they will just look at it again and hand it back and stamp the immigration seal on the PP.

Usually takes 3-4 weeks to get and if you dont have time, I would go with a visa as you can get it the same day. For an infant, I see no diffrence in PIO or a visa.
the only difference for an infant is if you are going to leave him in india for a while. with a pio you can stay for longer than 6 months.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute ivgclive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I got PIO Cards recently, but not entered India yet. So far I used only visas.

Quote:
I assumed the same. It is just like a "Visa", but not on the passport but as a separate booklet.

Quote:
It is efficient and less expensive on money and time if you decide before you apply. If you have couple of months time before travel, apply PIO or you have only couple of weeks appy for Visa.

Quote:
You are probably submiting copies of documents except the passports +/- birth certificate. Be prepared if you just receive passports only.

Quote:
I guess so, as the process is completely different.

------------------------------------

There are no guidelines on web sites for the option you are asking for. So the answers are only "what you can expect".

If you are close to SF, worth stopping by the consulate.

Last edited by ivgclive; 10-08-2009 at 04:31 PM.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
baskarans is on a distinguished road

PIO card is valid for 15 years and no need to apply for visa every time you go. You just present it with the passport when entering/departing in India. it takes about 20 days to get it they say 15 working days which is about 3 weeks. if you do in person they will check all documents and let you know if there is some thing wrong so you can correct it and submit it and no issues when issuing. they give you date to pick up or even you can ask them to mail back for 15$. i would say get poi if you have time and also if you are local do pio if you are not getting it by the time of travel you can always go and get visa the same day. http://www.cgisf.org/ is the sfo counslate website can get all the infor and download application there. even you can email them they are very prompt in replying you will get a reply the next day if you have any questions