Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Interesting Topics
Click to log in with Facebook
Interesting Topics This forum is to discuss any topic of interest to members and to gossip about anything that members prefer. All the terms of the forum and terms of use of the website do apply to this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Priority Date
:
May-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/05/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/26/2007
Compare
rbalaji5 is a jewel in the rough rbalaji5 is a jewel in the rough rbalaji5 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Wish you a Happy Recession Free Diwali

Wish you & your family a very very happy, healthy, recession free and prosperous Deepawali !!!

Sorry IV-ians -Story deleted due to bad comments.

Last edited by rbalaji5; 10-16-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rksaigal is infamous around these parts rksaigal is infamous around these parts rksaigal is infamous around these parts
Default Not interested

Wishing you all a Very Happy Diwali.

Last edited by rksaigal; 10-16-2009 at 09:15 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/04/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute jnraajan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wrong Story to begin with

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbalaji5 View Post
Happy Diwali to all.
Here is the Diwali story as told in 21st Century in US by Indians.
A young second generation Indian in the US was asked by his mother to explain the significance of "Diwali" to his younger brother, this is how he went about it...
" So, like this dude had, like, a big cool kingdom and people liked him. But, like, his step-mom, or something, was kind of a bitch, and she forced her husband to, like, send this cool-dude, he was Ram, to some national forest or something... . Since he was going, for like, something like more than 10 years or so.... he decided to get his wife and his bro along... you know...so that they could all chill out together. But Dude, the forest was reeeeal scary shit... really man...they had monkeys and devil s and shit like that. But this dude, Ram, kicked with darts and bows and arrows... so it was fine.
But then some bad gangsta boys, some jerk called Ravan, picks up his babe (Sita) and lures her away to his hood. And boy, was our man, and also his bro, Laxman, pissed... all the gods were with him... So anyways, you don't mess with gods. So, Ram, and his bro get an army of monkeys... Dude, don't ask me how they trained the damn monkeys... just go along with me, ok...
So, Ram, Lax and their monkeys whip this gangsta's ass in his own hood.... Anyways, by this time, their time's up in the forest... and anyways... it gets kinda boring, you know... no TV or malls or shit like that. So,they deci ded to hitch a ride back home... and when the people realize that our dude, his bro and the wife are back home... they thought, well, you know, at least they deserve something nice... and they didn't have any bars or clubs in those days... so they couldn't take them out for a drink, so they, like, decided to smoke and shit... and since they also had some lamps, they lit the lamps also...so it was pretty cooool... you know with all those fireworks... . Really, they even had some local band play along with the fireworks... and you know, what, dude, that was the very first, no kidding.., thatwas the very first music-synchronized fireworks... you know, like the 4th of July stuff, but just, more cooler and stuff, you know. And, so dude,
that was how, like, this festival started."
Sentiments aside, at least you could have got the story right. That is not why Diwali is celebrated. So, may be get the story correctly before even trying jokes.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
04/07/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
maddipati1 is infamous around these parts maddipati1 is infamous around these parts maddipati1 is infamous around these parts maddipati1 is infamous around these parts maddipati1 is infamous around these parts maddipati1 is infamous around these parts maddipati1 is infamous around these parts maddipati1 is infamous around these parts maddipati1 is infamous around these parts maddipati1 is infamous around these parts maddipati1 is infamous around these parts
Default not quite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnraajan View Post
Sentiments aside, at least you could have got the story right. That is not why Diwali is celebrated. So, may be get the story correctly before even trying jokes.
raajan, You may not know but, that is exactly why Diwali is celebrated in the whole North India. I know the whole south India celebrates Deepawali to mark the victory of Lord Krishna. The amazing thing is very few South Indians know why North celebrates and vice versa :-)
Even i didn't know about this until i came to US :-)

in my earlier job my boss (panjabi) asked couple of our team members to write a brief note on the story behind Diwali. a north colleague and a south colleague wrote their own versions. my manager is now confused :-) that's how all of us came to know about both versions. :-)

Last edited by maddipati1; 10-16-2009 at 09:48 PM.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future gc_wow has a brilliant future
Default Tell the real Story to your Kids

Dont engage in such Cliche mentality,tell the significance of the festival, I dont understand most of the Indian Parents are engaged in propogating such a behavior in kids. Instill strong character,values and traditions in your kids.Not this kind of half baked crap.
Happy Deepavali to all.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/23/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/22/2007
Compare
vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future vine93 has a brilliant future
Default Wish you all a Very Happy Diwali

A message from President Obama too.

The White House - Blog Post - Diwali Wishes From President Obama
* Called members of Hispanic Caucus
* Approached local people to join IV

Old 10-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future gbof has a brilliant future
Default Happy Deepawali to everyone....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vine93 View Post
Folks,
Words have power as words which touch hearts win masses. Hearing these from Obama's mouth really give a good feeling. I know you will all agree. Watch the video....

Happy Diwali to all

Old 10-17-2009, 01:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
raydon is a glorious beacon of light raydon is a glorious beacon of light raydon is a glorious beacon of light raydon is a glorious beacon of light raydon is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc_wow View Post
Dont engage in such Cliche mentality,tell the significance of the festival, I dont understand most of the Indian Parents are engaged in propogating such a behavior in kids. Instill strong character,values and traditions in your kids.Not this kind of half baked crap.
Happy Deepavali to all.
Agree with you on that. We don't need a customized boilerplate narrative version of an important event for immigrants of Indian origin/ethnicity.

Happy Diwali to all immigrants for whom it has significance.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vine93 View Post
who cares...... well..... 'ignorant' 'inward looking' 'large ego' 'nothing to ask' 'nothing to do' desi care.....

what difference does it make if google has an icon or wh/obama send a message on dewali...... its only symbolism..... not a cent more...... few jerks will claim "victory" for getting wh lights..... but does it help even a single soul with his/her problems...... absolutely not..... so don't tell me that google icon of dewali or lights in wh has any relevance..... this topic is for those who have no real issue to talk and no real problem in life...... but are simply busy stroking their own inward looking large egos....... anybody disagree? ...... guess not.....