Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Interesting Topics
Click to log in with Facebook
Interesting Topics This forum is to discuss any topic of interest to members and to gossip about anything that members prefer. All the terms of the forum and terms of use of the website do apply to this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vox.populi is a splendid one to behold vox.populi is a splendid one to behold vox.populi is a splendid one to behold vox.populi is a splendid one to behold vox.populi is a splendid one to behold vox.populi is a splendid one to behold vox.populi is a splendid one to behold
Default Campaign for justice for Ruchika

I apologize in advance if this post sounds like an irrelevance at this immigration focused website, but the matter I am going to talk about was grave enough to force my hands. It concerns everybody who has even the tiniest conscience and decency left in him/her.

Ruchika Girhotra, a fourteen year old tennis player was molested by SPS Rathore, then IG of Haryana police (third highest rank in Haryana Police Deptt) in August 1990. (Incidentally, molestation is just a euphemism used in Indian judicial system in place of the word rape). Ruchika and her family tried to seek justice through Indian judicial system for 3 years but could not make any headway, as the perpetrator was a powerful person with even more powerful friends in high places. Three years later, in 1993 Ruchika committed suicide out of sheer frustration and humiliation.

Her family’s struggle to get justice continued, while the culprit remained a free man throughout the period, regularly getting promotions and plum money making postings, eventually retiring as the DGP of Haryana police, the highest rank in the province. The journey of Ruchika’s family finally came to a grotesque end last week, when an Indian court sentenced Rathore to an imprisonment of, –hold your breath-, a total of six months, and fined him Rupees one thousand, (US Dollar 21, 74 cents at today’s exchange rate). Also, fully recognizing Mr Rathore’s human rights, the judge granted him bail immediately, so that he can appeal against the sentence. Rathore walked from the court a free man.

To paraphrase a memorable line from the novel The Godfather, The judge has ruled, India has ruled. The justice has been delivered.

The bitter truth is, Rathore got his justice from the Indian courts, Ruchika did not.

Parallels with the Bollywood and Hollywood movies continue even after this. Apparently, after this verdict was delivered, an anonymous caller called Ruchika’s father and mocked him, saying “Kya ukhad liya tune?” (What did you achieve?)

I am sure mad has hell and don’t know what can we do. So the only thing that came to mind, and excuse me for doing this, that I should exploit the popularity of this website to generate some awareness about this gross injustice to a child who is dead because she did not know how cruel the world really is underneath the veneer of civilization. IV is all about fighting or justice, whether immigrants or any one else. May be it will bring solace to a dead child’s soul knowing that she is not forgotten yet.

I am also open to suggestions if folks here have any other ideas how to bring justice to the girl. Probably we can write to Sonia. I am sure she is a decent lady who has faced tragedies in her own life. She will understand. Or we can write to Chidambaram and Manmohan Singh.

Admittedly, the array of forces protecting this criminal is very powerful. Ruchika’s father has gone on record saying that OP Chautala, former chief minister of Haryana and son of a former deputy Prime Minister of India is covering for Rathore. Many others politicians, some of them Rathore’s caste brothers are actively working for him behind the scenes. But despair and cynicism will not achieve anything anyway. May some activism will.

There are many other tangential threads on this website like Telangana issue and economic health etc. If those threads can live on this site, then please let this thread stay on this site too. If nothing else, may be this thread will generate enough buzz to stir the conscience of somebody somewhere with the power to move things back in India and get the wheels of justice turning. Those wheels are rusty and jammed, but I am sure they can still roll.

Last edited by vox.populi; 12-24-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

9 out of 13 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ramreddy is infamous around these parts ramreddy is infamous around these parts ramreddy is infamous around these parts ramreddy is infamous around these parts ramreddy is infamous around these parts ramreddy is infamous around these parts ramreddy is infamous around these parts ramreddy is infamous around these parts ramreddy is infamous around these parts ramreddy is infamous around these parts ramreddy is infamous around these parts

is she a
moslem ?
sc
st
obc
parasite feminist ...?
if none of these mr singh and mr chindambaram will MAKE SURE NOTHING GETS DONE...

1 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vox.populi is a splendid one to behold vox.populi is a splendid one to behold vox.populi is a splendid one to behold vox.populi is a splendid one to behold vox.populi is a splendid one to behold vox.populi is a splendid one to behold vox.populi is a splendid one to behold

Wow, 7 red dots for daring to speak on behalf of a dead child! Apparently nothing beyond the sacred green card can be spoken here. I salute the single minded focus of IV on their quest for a GC . May God grant all of you a green card and a US citizenship in double quick time, so that you can leave India behind forever. India has no further expectations from you. Thank you very much for your time.

And btw, when I posted this message 2 days ago, I was gearing up for a lone crusade over the Internet. But see how fate functions. As of writing this post, there are protest marches going on in Indians cities. People are holding candlelight vigils. CM Haryana Mr Hooda, Virappa Moily and Brinda Karat have promised the nation that justice will be done.

I know that this all just words so far. Proof of pudding is in eating. Rathore is still walking/prowling the streets of Chandigarh a free man. Media is reporting that the child molester is taking sun baths on the terrace of his house in Panchkula, and gaining winder pounds.

But not for long. Call me a sentimental fool, but I have faith in God. Woh sab dekhta hai. Sab Sunta hai. Ruchika will be heard too.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/20/2007
Compare
a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute a.j.2048 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vox.populi View Post
CM Haryana Mr Hooda, Virappa Moily and Brinda Karat have promised the nation that justice will be done.
Don't mean to disillusion you, but why is the guy still free if the Congressis care about it? The guy can be put in jail using an executive notification or a presidential ordinance.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:19 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light vxg is a glorious beacon of light

I fully support you and will be willing to do whatever is needed on this. May be we should send this story to news media in US as well as write letters to Manmohan Singh.

Quote:
I apologize in advance if this post sounds like an irrelevance at this immigration focused website, but the matter I am going to talk about was grave enough to force my hands. It concerns everybody who has even the tiniest conscience and decency left in him/her.

Ruchika Girhotra, a fourteen year old tennis player was molested by SPS Rathore, then IG of Haryana police (third highest rank in Haryana Police Deptt) in August 1990. (Incidentally, molestation is just a euphemism used in Indian judicial system in place of the word rape). Ruchika and her family tried to seek justice through Indian judicial system for 3 years but could not make any headway, as the perpetrator was a powerful person with even more powerful friends in high places. Three years later, in 1993 Ruchika committed suicide out of sheer frustration and humiliation.

Her family’s struggle to get justice continued, while the culprit remained a free man throughout the period, regularly getting promotions and plum money making postings, eventually retiring as the DGP of Haryana police, the highest rank in the province. The journey of Ruchika’s family finally came to a grotesque end last week, when an Indian court sentenced Rathore to an imprisonment of, –hold your breath-, a total of six months, and fined him Rupees one thousand, (US Dollar 21, 74 cents at today’s exchange rate). Also, fully recognizing Mr Rathore’s human rights, the judge granted him bail immediately, so that he can appeal against the sentence. Rathore walked from the court a free man.

To paraphrase a memorable line from the novel The Godfather, The judge has ruled, India has ruled. The justice has been delivered.

The bitter truth is, Rathore got his justice from the Indian courts, Ruchika did not.

Parallels with the Bollywood and Hollywood movies continue even after this. Apparently, after this verdict was delivered, an anonymous caller called Ruchika’s father and mocked him, saying “Kya ukhad liya tune?” (What did you achieve?)

I am sure mad has hell and don’t know what can we do. So the only thing that came to mind, and excuse me for doing this, that I should exploit the popularity of this website to generate some awareness about this gross injustice to a child who is dead because she did not know how cruel the world really is underneath the veneer of civilization. IV is all about fighting or justice, whether immigrants or any one else. May be it will bring solace to a dead child’s soul knowing that she is not forgotten yet.

I am also open to suggestions if folks here have any other ideas how to bring justice to the girl. Probably we can write to Sonia. I am sure she is a decent lady who has faced tragedies in her own life. She will understand. Or we can write to Chidambaram and Manmohan Singh.

Admittedly, the array of forces protecting this criminal is very powerful. Ruchika’s father has gone on record saying that OP Chautala, former chief minister of Haryana and son of a former deputy Prime Minister of India is covering for Rathore. Many others politicians, some of them Rathore’s caste brothers are actively working for him behind the scenes. But despair and cynicism will not achieve anything anyway. May some activism will.

There are many other tangential threads on this website like Telangana issue and economic health etc. If those threads can live on this site, then please let this thread stay on this site too. If nothing else, may be this thread will generate enough buzz to stir the conscience of somebody somewhere with the power to move things back in India and get the wheels of justice turning. Those wheels are rusty and jammed, but I am sure they can still roll.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/09/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/01/2011
Compare
goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute goel_ar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxg View Post
I fully support you and will be willing to do whatever is needed on this. May be we should send this story to news media in US as well as write letters to Manmohan Singh.
I agree. We should try it to bring it to US media attention. Coverage in foreign media will have much larger impact than anything else in short term..

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/17/2011
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sac-r-ten has a reputation beyond repute sac-r-ten has a reputation beyond repute sac-r-ten has a reputation beyond repute sac-r-ten has a reputation beyond repute sac-r-ten has a reputation beyond repute sac-r-ten has a reputation beyond repute sac-r-ten has a reputation beyond repute sac-r-ten has a reputation beyond repute sac-r-ten has a reputation beyond repute sac-r-ten has a reputation beyond repute sac-r-ten has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Don't get me wrong for what i reply here.

If 10yrs of constant fight could not gain anything for the family in name of the justice, is there a point doing all this now.
As you said lets wait for God's verdict. Let Rathore's karma get to him.

Quote:
Wow, 7 red dots for daring to speak on behalf of a dead child! Apparently nothing beyond the sacred green card can be spoken here. I salute the single minded focus of IV on their quest for a GC . May God grant all of you a green card and a US citizenship in double quick time, so that you can leave India behind forever. India has no further expectations from you. Thank you very much for your time.

And btw, when I posted this message 2 days ago, I was gearing up for a lone crusade over the Internet. But see how fate functions. As of writing this post, there are protest marches going on in Indians cities. People are holding candlelight vigils. CM Haryana Mr Hooda, Virappa Moily and Brinda Karat have promised the nation that justice will be done.

I know that this all just words so far. Proof of pudding is in eating. Rathore is still walking/prowling the streets of Chandigarh a free man. Media is reporting that the child molester is taking sun baths on the terrace of his house in Panchkula, and gaining winder pounds.

But not for long. Call me a sentimental fool, but I have faith in God. Woh sab dekhta hai. Sab Sunta hai. Ruchika will be heard too.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

YOU ARE A PSEUDO PATRIOT. I GIVE YOU RED FOR IT.

If you care so much for India and Indian girl getting raped, why don't you go back to India?
What are you doing here wasting your life?
Why do you want to earn dollars, drive fast cars and want greencard.
Go live in slums in India with the poor and help them. Save the girls, make them your sisters and make it your mission in life to protect them.

Did you ever start a thread about rapes, social causes of USA? Did you start a campaign to help girls in USA?If you want to live here, adopt this coountry as your own. If you only care for India go post on some India forum. This forum is wrong for you.

1 out of 9 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute eastindia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac-r-ten View Post
Don't get me wrong for what i reply here.

If 10yrs of constant fight could not gain anything for the family in name of the justice, is there a point doing all this now.
As you said lets wait for God's verdict. Let Rathore's karma get to him.
OP thinks that by opening a thread on IV he will get justice for someone.
He does not have the guts or interest to more than this.
Why does he go on hunger strike for this if he really cars? or go to India and start a movement for it.
Who cares about your thread on IV?

0 out of 8 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
IfYouSeekAmy is a jewel in the rough IfYouSeekAmy is a jewel in the rough IfYouSeekAmy is a jewel in the rough IfYouSeekAmy is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

Don't worry about the red dots. You raised your brave voive against injustice and made a whole lot of people aware of this issue. That is the important thing. Be proud and keep posting. Red dots or green dots you have readers!!!
Quote:

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:28 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/04/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
shiankuraaf is a name known to all shiankuraaf is a name known to all shiankuraaf is a name known to all shiankuraaf is a name known to all shiankuraaf is a name known to all shiankuraaf is a name known to all
Default Insensitive comment...

Whether it was happened in India or US it does not matter, but it is an injustice happened to somebody helpless and your comment is insensitive to the OP's cause and the subject. So I give you a BIG red. Cool down fellow.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
anai is a splendid one to behold anai is a splendid one to behold anai is a splendid one to behold anai is a splendid one to behold anai is a splendid one to behold anai is a splendid one to behold anai is a splendid one to behold

Here someone has spoken out against injustice. That is to be encouraged.

If threads on Vonage, airline customer-service on flights to/from India, division of Indian states, etc. can flourish on IV, a thread seeking justice for a child should not bring out such negativity.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ramreddy is infamous around these parts ramreddy is infamous around these parts ramreddy is infamous around these parts ramreddy is infamous around these parts ramreddy is infamous around these parts ramreddy is infamous around these parts ramreddy is infamous around these parts ramreddy is infamous around these parts ramreddy is infamous around these parts ramreddy is infamous around these parts ramreddy is infamous around these parts

there is nothing wrong in speaking against injustice and fighting for someone who got the short end of justice DOES NOT make you less patriotic.
Who so ever that Idiot is who compares your patriotism to someone's exposing injustice.
Let me ask the ass what he did to remove injustice in the US..?
If you TALK LOUDLY , standing in that green card line, and point fingers at others branding them 'unpatriotic' , Dont think , your 'patriotic genius' will push you 2 miles ahead of others... not going to happen. So just STFU.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute transpass has a reputation beyond repute

Do the red dots define you? Just do what you believe in...When an elephant walks in the street, many street dogs bark...Does the elephant care a bit?

Quote:

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
gc67890 can only hope to improve
Default Never forget where you came from

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastindia View Post
YOU ARE A PSEUDO PATRIOT. I GIVE YOU RED FOR IT.

If you care so much for India and Indian girl getting raped, why don't you go back to India?
What are you doing here wasting your life?
Why do you want to earn dollars, drive fast cars and want greencard.
Go live in slums in India with the poor and help them. Save the girls, make them your sisters and make it your mission in life to protect them.

Did you ever start a thread about rapes, social causes of USA? Did you start a campaign to help girls in USA?If you want to live here, adopt this coountry as your own. If you only care for India go post on some India forum. This forum is wrong for you.
Never forget where you came from. You want all the best from India ( Cheap education etc )and never do anything back, I have never seen any one being so selfish

I think by now you must have adopted american mother and father.
The person who wrote about the girl is not a pseudo patriot.
You are one of those who always move on to new greener area and curse the old one.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.