Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > General Information > Interesting Topics
Click to log in with Facebook
Interesting Topics This forum is to discuss any topic of interest to members and to gossip about anything that members prefer. All the terms of the forum and terms of use of the website do apply to this forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/07/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Abhinaym is a splendid one to behold Abhinaym is a splendid one to behold Abhinaym is a splendid one to behold Abhinaym is a splendid one to behold Abhinaym is a splendid one to behold Abhinaym is a splendid one to behold Abhinaym is a splendid one to behold Abhinaym is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfadlia View Post
my friend.. thanx for your kind words
u and ur non-retrogressed friend have my support for an expedited process since u got US advanced degree that make u better suited for this market.. u should be talking STEM.. i am talking about the disparity in available opportunities to come here back in our homelands. Individual examples aside, I trust statistics, you'll find that each year a handful of giant offshoring companies grab more than half the H1 quota.. is it my streotyping imagination that infosys, wipro and satyam don't hold job fairs in Romania and they only make these opportunities available in retrogressed countries?
Hello! Infosys, Wipro and all those companies are NOT the main sponsors of green cards, which is the reason we're in this forum, no? Most of the sponsors are US based small and medium sized companies.

I don't care how many visas they get, the fact is that it doesn't affect me! I neither have a job with them nor I benefited from them grabbing a bulk of visas. End of the day I'm held back because of where I was born.

Look, this may be hard for you to understand, but just because those companies are in my country didn't and doesn't help me one iota. Everyone's on their own here.

Thanks for understanding that I have an advanced degree.

Quote:

and don't give me the condescending excuse that if these companies only hire in retrogressed companies then talented, educated people must only exist in the retrogressed countries.

Anyway, i had this discussion many times here .. radical issue where people hardly change their minds..

peace..
That is ridiculous. I never said that nor I will. The reason is because those companies MORE people exist in those countries, and THEY'RE CHEAPER and poorer, that's something I do expect you to understand.

Did stereotyping help you in your discussions earlier?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute

I believe we are wasting our energy here. Quarterly spill over is already a law and we need to make DOS/USCIS to implement it. If we have some many people are ready to sue USCIS on country quota issue, why dont we use that energy on the low hanging fruit...

You may argue that only EB2 will benefit...but once EB2 become current, its going to spill over to EB3.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Egypt
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of

I do undersatnd that these companies did not help you.. y don't u understand that we r not talking about u the statistics r these companies bring tens of thousands here every year from one country, yes on H1 or L1, not to sponsor them for greencards, but arriving here with a dual intent visa that allows for greencard application is not such a casual opportunity and that's what I'm telling you is rarely available to the equally qualified non-retrogressed folks. Once here, those thousands transfer to these small/mid size companies u mentioned and choose to stay and apply for greencards even though they know that with their huge numbers current rules will make their greencard journey longer..
Yes adjusting the quota percentages should be on the table, but if these companies hurt you by creating a longer line than the quota allows, , then you should take issue with these companies before you take it at your fellow non-retrogressed immigrants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinaym View Post
Hello! Infosys, Wipro and all those companies are NOT the main sponsors of green cards, which is the reason we're in this forum, no? Most of the sponsors are US based small and medium sized companies.

I don't care how many visas they get, the fact is that it doesn't affect me! I neither have a job with them nor I benefited from them grabbing a bulk of visas. End of the day I'm held back because of where I was born.

Look, this may be hard for you to understand, but just because those companies are in my country didn't and doesn't help me one iota. Everyone's on their own here.

Thanks for understanding that I have an advanced degree.

That is ridiculous. I never said that nor I will. The reason is because those companies MORE people exist in those countries, and THEY'RE CHEAPER and poorer, that's something I do expect you to understand.

Did stereotyping help you in your discussions earlier?

Last edited by bfadlia; 01-13-2010 at 05:45 PM.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/07/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Abhinaym is a splendid one to behold Abhinaym is a splendid one to behold Abhinaym is a splendid one to behold Abhinaym is a splendid one to behold Abhinaym is a splendid one to behold Abhinaym is a splendid one to behold Abhinaym is a splendid one to behold Abhinaym is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I do undersatnd that these companies did not help you.. y don't u understand that we r not talking about u the statistics r these companies bring tens of thousands here every year from one country, yes on H1 or L1, not to sponsor them for greencards, but arriving here with a dual intent visa that allows for greencard application is not such a casual opportunity and that's what I'm telling you is rarely available to the equally qualified non-retrogressed folks. Once here, those thousands transfer to these small/mid size companies u mentioned and choose to stay and apply for greencards even though they know that with their huge numbers current rules will make their greencard journey longer..
Yes adjusting the quota percentages should be on the table, but if these companies hurt you by creating a longer line than the quota allows, , then you should take issue with these companies before you take it at your fellow non-retrogressed immigrants.
You're confusing the cause-and-effect. The country quota laws were put in MUCH earlier than any offshoring companies started doing H1s. It might in fact be the opposite, meaning that these companies are hiring qualified people who weren't getting GCs.

And besides these companies are all software cos that came up in the last 10 yrs, why should that stupid rule affect any person in a non-software field?

Yes we know that the current rules make the journey longer. The point is that it is unfair and that's why we should start trying to change it!

Basically it is very difficult to understand another person's pain. Especially when you're set up to gain from it.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Egypt
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of bfadlia has much to be proud of

you are half right, the country quota laws were put much earlier than the off shoring companies, but remember that the retrogression only started in the last 10 years when those companies came in the picture and skewed the lines .. that's ur cause and effect!
I am in software and would be satisfied with resticting this rule to the software field, but feasibility wise, rules won't get micro-tailored this way.
I always tell myself i shouldn't go on with the discussion, but here i go again..
any 12 step process to quit?

Quote:
You're confusing the cause-and-effect. The country quota laws were put in MUCH earlier than any offshoring companies started doing H1s. It might in fact be the opposite, meaning that these companies are hiring qualified people who weren't getting GCs.

And besides these companies are all software cos that came up in the last 10 yrs, why should that stupid rule affect any person in a non-software field?

Yes we know that the current rules make the journey longer. The point is that it is unfair and that's why we should start trying to change it!

Basically it is very difficult to understand another person's pain. Especially when you're set up to gain from it.

Last edited by bfadlia; 01-13-2010 at 06:46 PM.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2007
Compare
ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of ncrtpMay2004 has much to be proud of

Someone please explain this to me,

The labor certification for a EB visa is based on a job/position requirement.
What is the intent of EB based GC?
How long is the person expected to the job for which the LC was approved?
Does that clock start when the LC was approved or when the i485 was approved?

If there is an drive for this effort, I will contribute.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.justice.gov/eoir/OcahoMai...lume9/1100.pdf

Old 01-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/07/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
you are half right, the country quota laws were put much earlier than the off shoring companies, but remember that the retrogression only started in the last 10 years when those companies came in the picture and skewed the lines .. that's ur cause and effect!
I am in software and would be satisfied with resticting this rule to the software field, but feasibility wise, rules won't get micro-tailored this way.
I always tell myself i shouldn't go on with the discussion, but here i go again..
any 12 step process to quit?
So what? Just because they came and skewed the lines doesn't mean you can choose where you're born or when. the rule is unfair wihtout any reason. there is no graceful solution short of removing the quotas. anyway I doubt fairness is the reason you're so fond of this quota.

Here's a one step way to quit.

1. Accept that the reason you're defending this useless rule is that it benefits you.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Egypt
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
So what? Just because they came and skewed the lines doesn't mean you can choose where you're born or when. the rule is unfair wihtout any reason. there is no graceful solution short of removing the quotas. anyway I doubt fairness is the reason you're so fond of this quota.

Here's a one step way to quit.

1. Accept that the reason you're defending this useless rule is that it benefits you.
Sure.. if you say so.. y didn't u say that earlier.. jeez
It's official guys, we ROWs only argue for the sake of our self servient morality or lack thereof, while all others are on a Utopian conquest of fairness..
Never mind, good luck to everyone and sorry for time wasted thinking we were having a conversation
Good bye

Old 01-15-2010, 05:11 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/22/2007
Compare
extra_mint is infamous around these parts extra_mint is infamous around these parts extra_mint is infamous around these parts extra_mint is infamous around these parts extra_mint is infamous around these parts extra_mint is infamous around these parts extra_mint is infamous around these parts extra_mint is infamous around these parts extra_mint is infamous around these parts extra_mint is infamous around these parts extra_mint is infamous around these parts
Default Summarizing so far...so that we do not loose track

Well majority of the people on this thread and forum is finding this as just cause, I am totally for it.

However no one is sure if this logic will hold water. Well none of us are lawyers, thus our arguments for or against doesn't hold. Someone said at the start of this thread that let's consult some big lawyers.

People are ready to contribute (including me) and I personally think that IV Core will be the best forum to take this up with lawyers. They already have an existing network, have folks that have participated in efforts related to legal immigration,

To IV Core
--------------
Country Quota is single biggest reason for retrogression, Have you guys (in the past) discussed with lawyers if removing Country Quota for EMPLOYMENT BASED can be legally challenged ??
If this has not been discussed do you guys think some one from lawyer forum (one that is on IV) can research on this ??
If above research shows things can be challenged then let's get it challenged through some esteemed lawyers !!

Also since so many people (once again including me) are ready to contribute, IV can become forum to raise money for this Legal challenge...like another pool.

I am sure people have talked, discussed about removing country quota in the past. However I am not sure if serious effort have been made to see if this can be challenged and that is the focus we all should have.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/07/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Quote:
Sure.. if you say so.. y didn't u say that earlier.. jeez
It's official guys, we ROWs only argue for the sake of our self servient morality or lack thereof, while all others are on a Utopian conquest of fairness..
Never mind, good luck to everyone and sorry for time wasted thinking we were having a conversation
Good bye
That's quite a dumb inference.

Dude, what's wrong in admitting a bit of selfishness here?

All of us want something in the end, and that's why we're here pooling our needs together. Nobody's asking you to be selfless.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Priority Date
:
May-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute jetflyer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Im in

1)
The country cap does make perfect sense for Family Immigration, you want a good mix of culture in the country.
BUT for Skill based immigration it makes no sense. It should be based on skill/qualification and NOT on country of birth. It is very similar to Indian caste based quota system, your piece of pie calculates right when you were born!

I do not agree with this country quota and hence $1k for LS from me, Pledged!
Of course, if successful it may/may not make much difference because of other retrogressed countries with long queue but cause is what makes the call.

2)
If a group is thinking about LS for USCIS inefficiencies between 2002-2004 and unused visa recapture, I pledge another $1k for the LS. If I remember correctly, Mark Bartosik was planning for such LS but in middle he got his GC, if someone still thinks along the same line, I would be happy to join.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/07/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Can we get an opinion from one of the lawyers on this forum? I'm very suspicious that if we do file something we'll have to do it through our employers.

Anybody with an opinion on that?

Old 02-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Before 2000
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute desi3933 has a reputation beyond repute

This is another example where lot of noise made and then nothing happens.

People talk here about filing lawsuit as it it is easy as filing something and on first hearing, judgment will be passed in their favor. Of course, no one even bothers to get initial professional advice.

Soon, we will have some other topic that will have similar discussion and similar fate.

Good Luck to everyone.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/11/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute chanduv23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by desi3933 View Post
This is another example where lot of noise made and then nothing happens.

People talk here about filing lawsuit as it it is easy as filing something and on first hearing, judgment will be passed in their favor. Of course, no one even bothers to get initial professional advice.

Soon, we will have some other topic that will have similar discussion and similar fate.

Good Luck to everyone.

Thousands of members were on IV when July 07 fiasco happened and everyone were discussing all sorts of stratagies - but it was the very few hundreds that actually rallied and sent flowers and went the extra step to do someting about it.

This generation people lack unity, courage and empathy. Everyone wants to just discuss issues and vent but do not want to join hands together to get something done that benefits all.