Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Analysis Discussion
Click to log in with Facebook
Analysis Discussion This forum is used to analyze, predict, track and share the information about the progress of visa dates, visa bulletin and application status of individual cases.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute spicy_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhundhun View Post
The formula is complex and tapered.

As an example:
35 years maximum earning is taken. It is divided by 12 to get monthly. So suppose $5000 is monthly average. Then in one of the years it was computed like:

90% of $606 + 32% of upto $3653 + 15% above $3653 = $1813 (Ignore errors, just to give some rough idea)

For a person with monthly $10000, the amount would be = $2563 (Ignore errors, just to give some rough idea)

For a person with monthly $2000, the amount would be = $1033 (Ignore errors, , just to give some rough idea)

This is just to give some idea.

So the keywords are LIKE average monthly of 35 highest earning years, then 90% of some amount, then 35% of some amount and then 15% of rest amount. The formula is updated frequently.

With this formula, someone who worked in US for 10 years, with monthly of 6000, may get around $900+ per month and with 10000 monthly, it could be around $1300+.

Also, as far as I know, non working spouse, who stayed for five+ years in US would get 50% of primary at the retirement age.
wow! thanks much for detailed explanation!
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2010, 06:14 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute snthampi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishmunn View Post
SS and Medicare are termed as TAX if you check your W2.

However, your basic premise is incorrect. One can get SS benefits even in India. Check the link which I sent in earlier post
I suggest, you should go back and read it again. Did you read khodalmd's response? He is somewhat accurate. As of today, if you worked on H1 (40+ quarters) and go back to India, you won't get SS benefits. But, if India makes an agreement with the US on this, then we will.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:57 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/06/2012
Compare
krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snthampi View Post
I suggest, you should go back and read it again. Did you read khodalmd's response? He is somewhat accurate. As of today, if you worked on H1 (40+ quarters) and go back to India, you won't get SS benefits. But, if India makes an agreement with the US on this, then we will.
You are completely wrong. Did you even check the Link to SSA which I sent ?

Thanks to thomachan72 who has posted the content from SSA site. This shows that khodalmd and you are wrong.

Bottomline, Indian Citizen in India CAN and DO get SS benefit if they contribute 40+ quarters. If you do not want to believe what is written in SSA webiste , I guess there is nothiing in the world that can bring you out of your hallucination.

BTW, if India makes a totalatarian agreement, US will move the money to a similar fund in India . This makes sense mostly for people who has contributed less then 40 quarters . For rest, it is not much difference

Old 03-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute snathan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetflyer View Post
Yes, but why non-immigrant has to pay SS + Medicare on top of taxes?
It makes perfect sense for GC/USC to pay but for H1/L1/F1... they should only pay taxes. period
Its the law and must respect. Period.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:24 AM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Compare
redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute

I think this kind of discussion is not to enforce a person's fantasy on others. Several of us without any personal motive, just stated the relevant facts (not imaginary; not from some unknown fears) and provided relevant links which anybody can check. Still people go on claiming as this is wrong, that is wrong, it is not possible, i don't think so and even worse "I know you can't get anything in India from SS", etc. It is not a problem for me or anybody who does not want to force anything on others; facts are always facts and anybody can find it. Still when you see such people, you feel sad and pity!

Old 03-31-2010, 01:27 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute ndbhatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wishful thinking

Quote:

Thanks to thomachan72 who has posted the content from SSA site. This shows that khodalmd and you are wrong.

Bottomline, Indian Citizen in India CAN and DO get SS benefit if they contribute 40+ quarters. If you do not want to believe what is written in SSA webiste , I guess there is nothiing in the world that can bring you out of your hallucination.

BTW, if India makes a totalatarian agreement, US will move the money to a similar fund in India . This makes sense mostly for people who has contributed less then 40 quarters . For rest, it is not much difference
Given the economic scenario, such agreement to move money from US to India is a distant dream, US exchequer will be drained by 100's million, if not billions of dollars. There has been several rounds of talk around this wishful thinking by Indian politicians/diplomats past several years, yet there is no traction. I can think of CIR being passed as a bill but not this fat one.

Finally moved to Canada at the end of June, 2012

Old 04-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2-NIW
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/28/2007
Compare
redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute redgreen has a reputation beyond repute

Deduct from Income? We get it deducted when we get paycheck, isn't it?
Or did you mean, for tax filing purposes? Is it not like state, and Fed taxes?
It is always better not to give any taxes but still I don't understand your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinboston View Post
Some people here suggested we should consider them as a tax. OK say we assume that for a moment, shouldn't we get to deduct it from our incomes then. We get to deduct federal tax paid so why not SS and medicare. this is geared more towards people who are saying SS and medicaid are taxes.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/06/2012
Compare
krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute krishmunn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Someone in a zeal to give me Red has commented that it is not totalitarian but totalization. This itself shows that the people who are opposing SS have no clue on the SS rules. And BTW, I don't care about Red ... you are most welcome to give Red, Green, Blue ... anything

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/22/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future

Notwithstanding what you wrote, from your tone, it does look that you cared about that red !

BTW it is indeed totalization and not totalitarian...

Quote:
Someone in a zeal to give me Red has commented that it is not totalitarian but totalization. This itself shows that the people who are opposing SS have no clue on the SS rules. And BTW, I don't care about Red ... you are most welcome to give Red, Green, Blue ... anything

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Student with no hopes is a splendid one to behold Student with no hopes is a splendid one to behold Student with no hopes is a splendid one to behold Student with no hopes is a splendid one to behold Student with no hopes is a splendid one to behold Student with no hopes is a splendid one to behold Student with no hopes is a splendid one to behold Student with no hopes is a splendid one to behold

What happens to the money we pay for SS (lets say for 5 years) and have left the country? with or without the gc? will we see any of it?

on another note, can a person on opt start a home business in addition to a full time job?

Old 12-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute tonyHK12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student with no hopes View Post
What happens to the money we pay for SS (lets say for 5 years) and have left the country? with or without the gc? will we see any of it?

on another note, can a person on opt start a home business in addition to a full time job?
for the first question - no hope, its all gone now unless you have 40 creadits - minimum of 9.25 years of SS contribution

Old 12-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/23/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/11/2011
Compare
ameerka_dream has a reputation beyond repute ameerka_dream has a reputation beyond repute ameerka_dream has a reputation beyond repute ameerka_dream has a reputation beyond repute ameerka_dream has a reputation beyond repute ameerka_dream has a reputation beyond repute ameerka_dream has a reputation beyond repute ameerka_dream has a reputation beyond repute ameerka_dream has a reputation beyond repute ameerka_dream has a reputation beyond repute ameerka_dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need to work for 10 quarters and need to pay required SS taxes

Retire To India: Social security for Overseas retirees

Social Security Update 2010

How You Earn Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student with no hopes View Post

Last edited by ameerka_dream; 12-03-2010 at 01:09 PM.