Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Recent Blogs
Click to log in with Facebook
Recent Blogs RSS feeds of select Blogs on Immigration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 11:20 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Blog Feeds is a name known to all Blog Feeds is a name known to all Blog Feeds is a name known to all Blog Feeds is a name known to all Blog Feeds is a name known to all Blog Feeds is a name known to all
Default Weighing in on arizona overreach

Ed Schultz thinks the Arizona bill has forced the White House to deal with immigration reform sooner than they otherwise might have. Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy The Arizona Association of Chiefs of Police issue a statement opposing the bill (somehow I doubt Sheriff Joe approved). America's Voice delivers a petition with 50,000 signatures urging Governor Brewer to veto the bill. NAFSA: The Association for International Education is concerned about the impact the bill will have on our ability to attract the best foreign students. The American Immigration Council warns Governor Brewer that...

More...

Approved by IV Mods
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future

The top guys like the polie chief assn etc oppose it but the lower level police associations welcomed it - seems like they cant wait to use it!
Old 04-24-2010, 11:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/25/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2007
Compare
jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold jediknight is a splendid one to behold
Default Boycotting Arizona

I talked to a few friends who are US citizens and not white.

None of them want to visit Arizona anymore and be stopped because of their skin color.

All of the folks I talked to are against illegal immigration and think enforcement should target employers who hire these folks and a clean up of the legal immigration system.

It's funny when I see the so called anti-illegal immigration organizations not wanting to lift a finger to clean up the legal immigration system but expect us to think they are for legal immigration

Bye Arizona and will miss the Grand Canyon.

Tell your boss that you are unwilling to travel to Arizona.

- JK
Old 04-25-2010, 12:06 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/22/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future shreekhand has a brilliant future

Interesting.. a bunch of us non-Arizonians (H1 and GC people) are certainly irked about carrying the right docs when visiting Arizona...

but all of us (seven) think it is a small price to counter illegal immigration. We are planning a 3-day hike in the Canyon in Sept. irrespective of this AZ law.

AZ we are coming... (but with our EAD's and I-94's and GC's and what not!)
Old 04-25-2010, 12:11 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
austingc has a reputation beyond repute austingc has a reputation beyond repute austingc has a reputation beyond repute austingc has a reputation beyond repute austingc has a reputation beyond repute austingc has a reputation beyond repute austingc has a reputation beyond repute austingc has a reputation beyond repute austingc has a reputation beyond repute austingc has a reputation beyond repute austingc has a reputation beyond repute

deleted

Last edited by austingc; 04-25-2010 at 12:47 AM. Reason: original post added
Old 04-25-2010, 12:47 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
austingc has a reputation beyond repute austingc has a reputation beyond repute austingc has a reputation beyond repute austingc has a reputation beyond repute austingc has a reputation beyond repute austingc has a reputation beyond repute austingc has a reputation beyond repute austingc has a reputation beyond repute austingc has a reputation beyond repute austingc has a reputation beyond repute austingc has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight View Post
I talked to a few friends who are US citizens and not white.

None of them want to visit Arizona anymore and be stopped because of their skin color.

All of the folks I talked to are against illegal immigration and think enforcement should target employers who hire these folks and a clean up of the legal immigration system.

It's funny when I see the so called anti-illegal immigration organizations not wanting to lift a finger to clean up the legal immigration system but expect us to think they are for legal immigration

Bye Arizona and will miss the Grand Canyon.

Tell your boss that you are unwilling to travel to Arizona.

- JK
yeah, good job, tell your boss and lose your job. what a shame? Why do you worry if you have proper documentation? Carry your legal documents when you are travelling. Don't you carry your 6 or 10 pounds laptop and other stuffs with you when you travel? so carry your legal documents too in you bag. Now dont tell me you can not carry your original documents, copy is enough to prove you are legal here because they can get your family history from the federal database.

Arizona wont miss you if you dont travel but your boss will hire someone who loves Arizona.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute
Default are they here illegally?

are the best foreign students here illegally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Feeds View Post
The Association for International Education is concerned about the impact the bill will have on our ability to attract the best foreign students.
More...
Old 04-25-2010, 11:15 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Roger Binny is just really nice Roger Binny is just really nice Roger Binny is just really nice Roger Binny is just really nice

Ooo..if they are illegal first thing they wont be here, the point is implementation of the law.

Most possible audience of the law will be all immigrants specially who doesn't look like either B or W at least for a just trained officer.

* Stand in a line to enter into a club/pub/any densely populate you may be asked for papers.

* Just try to play anywhere in parks where officers frequent,sure at least 4 out of 10 times one will be asked for papers, if not
once..probably more

* Imagine any possible situation one can be asked to show their papers.

As all know this law is nothing new, there is already a federal law that all legal immigrants have to have their papers with them all the time, as well if one is involved in legal cases any law enforcement officer can ask some one to show their papers, the difference is this time cops can specially STOP for the purpose of checking legality and check, this is also nothing wrong technically in fact it is better some times.

But coming to implementation it ain't easy and there is always a chance you pissoff plenty of folks by asking at every turn. if they just ask for DL then it doesn't matter it is easy to carry and nothing wrong to show, asking at every turn on a bad day may turn like what the heck...why they would have not renewed a tattoo on my face rather than asking for ID at every turn...

Ok, here comes the problem if you are trying to attract bright then you need not be stupid or at least stop doing pity things and bringing bureaucracy of checking at every simple turn, which can lead to a pain, there by one pissing off the bright folks.

Key is implementation.....it could get in any direction, curbing illegal is fine but in the process one will start upsetting legal immigrants which creates an uproar or a sticky situation.

If i remember correctly some where here or there is a 50 page thread on DL renewing problems...some states implementing a law which required one to show their I-797 copy to get your DL or renewal if one is in between their H1 renewal, transfer,...and their DL renewal comes in same time it is pretty difficult to imagine if the person is a single driver in home, small kid and pregnant wife where this is a common scenario you see in desi lives...

my 2 c

Last edited by Roger Binny; 04-25-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:47 PM
Priority Date
:
May-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/25/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/25/2005
Compare
alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute alterego has a reputation beyond repute

This was destined to happen once the discriminatory drivers license laws were rammed though following the READ ID act that passed a couple of years ago.
I recollect in 2008 after moving to Texas, I went to the DMV to get a license and received a drivers license that was marked temporary visitor, with a vertical font, and for a less than 6 month validity. This was after I had a regular drivers license for 9 years plus, and presented a regular valid license from a different state. I've never felt discriminated in the USA, but did feel a shade of it that day.
I suspect sadly that AZ will not be the last state that this happens in either. The fact is that there are huge ideological divides within this country on how to deal with a whole lot of politically thorny issues. These are nowhere near getting solved. Mr Obama was elected on the premise of uniting the country, but in reality, he promised what he can't deliver. The divisions are as wide as the grand canyon, and I doubt they can be bridged until a national crisis intervenes.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
ravi98 has a reputation beyond repute ravi98 has a reputation beyond repute ravi98 has a reputation beyond repute ravi98 has a reputation beyond repute ravi98 has a reputation beyond repute ravi98 has a reputation beyond repute ravi98 has a reputation beyond repute ravi98 has a reputation beyond repute ravi98 has a reputation beyond repute ravi98 has a reputation beyond repute ravi98 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alterego View Post
This was destined to happen once the discriminatory drivers license laws were rammed though following the READ ID act that passed a couple of years ago.
I recollect in 2008 after moving to Texas, I went to the DMV to get a license and received a drivers license that was marked temporary visitor, with a vertical font, and for a less than 6 month validity. This was after I had a regular drivers license for 9 years plus, and presented a regular valid license from a different state. I've never felt discriminated in the USA, but did feel a shade of it that day.
I suspect sadly that AZ will not be the last state that this happens in either. The fact is that there are huge ideological divides within this country on how to deal with a whole lot of politically thorny issues. These are nowhere near getting solved. Mr Obama was elected on the premise of uniting the country, but in reality, he promised what he can't deliver. The divisions are as wide as the grand canyon, and I doubt they can be bridged until a national crisis intervenes.
Arizona passing the bill has brought the immigration debate on the national scene, and if the federal government takes it up and really have a reformed immigration system that works on all front : solutions for the already present illegals, how to secure the borders and fixing the legal immigrants issues; it will avoid other states from adopting the Arizona bill and create havoc in the US and its image globally.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute h1techSlave has a reputation beyond repute
Default I feel these kinds of laws are pretty good for us

These kinds of laws will be ultimately pretty good for the legal community. Right now an average American citizen thinks all immigrants are illegals. These kinds of laws will clear the confusion.

I totally agree that this law can be misused in the beginning, especially when the cops are not clear about EAD, H1, 797 and a host of other documents that make us legal in this country. We may be disproportionately pulled over during the initial period. But after a while the cops will realize that it is a waste of time pulling over everybody with a brown skin.

Bottom line is that this law is a little inconvenient in the beginning, but good in the long run.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future swamy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1techSlave View Post
These kinds of laws will be ultimately pretty good for the legal community. Right now an average American citizen thinks all immigrants are illegals. These kinds of laws will clear the confusion.

I totally agree that this law can be misused in the beginning, especially when the cops are not clear about EAD, H1, 797 and a host of other documents that make us legal in this country. We may be disproportionately pulled over during the initial period. But after a while the cops will realize that it is a waste of time pulling over everybody with a brown skin.

Bottom line is that this law is a little inconvenient in the beginning, but good in the long run.
its a bad law...& ppl shld not boycott the state, which mabe even what the nativists want!instead protest peacefully & overturn it appealing to the better senses of the citizens. it'd be shortsighted to think an obnoxious law like this could help us in any manner - & i cant imagine any scenario where it would. but even if it does, we dont need to ride on the backs of those trying to make life miserable for the ppl usually at the lowest end of the econmic/social ladder
Say 'Hell No' to Arizona - The Daily Beast
Say 'Hell No' to Arizona - The Daily Beast
Old 04-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/16/2006
Chargeability
:
Canada
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2006
Compare
bobzibub has much to be proud of bobzibub has much to be proud of bobzibub has much to be proud of bobzibub has much to be proud of bobzibub has much to be proud of bobzibub has much to be proud of bobzibub has much to be proud of bobzibub has much to be proud of bobzibub has much to be proud of
Default AZ law in US context..

Quote:

I think that you're not understanding the gravity of this law in terms of the US context (History and culture).
This post describes it better than I can: "...who are you better than?" - ADVrider
Old 04-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
India_USA is a splendid one to behold India_USA is a splendid one to behold India_USA is a splendid one to behold India_USA is a splendid one to behold India_USA is a splendid one to behold India_USA is a splendid one to behold India_USA is a splendid one to behold India_USA is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

How is it going to be good in the long run? Nothing about this law fixes our problems. No amount of distinguishing between legals and illegals in the minds of the people, if they are not for immigrants will work. They only use one against the other. When the time comes they will oppose both.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/19/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute sri1309 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by India_USA View Post
How is it going to be good in the long run? Nothing about this law fixes our problems. No amount of distinguishing between legals and illegals in the minds of the people, if they are not for immigrants will work. They only use one against the other. When the time comes they will oppose both.
sri back here after a long nap.
How are you all doing, my friends...

Nice discussions going on.. did we do anything in the last one week to highlight our problems.. If no, then when do u want to... please act now..

I'm watching news in the last 1 week and the AZ bill etc.
While, as a human I have fully sympathies with everyone legal or illegal. They were allowed in, in the 1st place,. They too dream for a better life.
But as a legal immigrant, we have our own problems and let us focus only on that part. The legal immigration part.
This is the time to raise our voice, in the form of writing in the forums, and in the comments sections of these news papers. Highlight our problems and see how the legal immigration is fixed, else there is a risk we can drown in the current mess. Native American citizens need to know what is happening with legal immigration. Please share your problems briefly in the news papaers and other like this "thehill.com" and cnn.com and every other where ever possible. Do not keep quite. Wont you like to have a GC in next 6 months,. For anything to even dream we must try,. and do whatever is needed. Write to the president and the decision makers.. And do not forget the media. I posted mine in 5 papers yesterday and today.
DO NOT FORGET TO TELL THEM HOW fixing illegals immigration and legal immigration will help the country. And how legal immigration contributes for overall good.

Last edited by sri1309; 04-26-2010 at 04:26 PM.