Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Recent Blogs
Click to log in with Facebook
Recent Blogs RSS feeds of select Blogs on Immigration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Blog Feeds is a name known to all Blog Feeds is a name known to all Blog Feeds is a name known to all Blog Feeds is a name known to all Blog Feeds is a name known to all Blog Feeds is a name known to all
Default Ten Things to Take to an Immigrant Visa Interview

Most of our immigration clients are understandably nervous before their visa interview. This interview will determine whether the visa petition will be granted or denied. We always spend time with our clients before the interview to explain the process and to give them an idea of the types of questions that may be asked. One other thing we do is make sure each client knows the importance of taking certain documents to the interview.

Once an immigrant visa applicant has been scheduled for a visa interview, a consular officer will require seeing specific documents for visa processing. Certain U.S. embassies and consulates have their own local requirements for processing immigrant visas. Generally however, all visa applicants should take the following documents to their interviews:

1. Passport: Each visa applicant must take his or her original passport. This includes expired and unexpired passports.

2. Birth Certificate: A certified copy of each applicant’s birth certificate is required.

3. Marriage Certificate: If the visa applicant is married, a certified copy of the marriage certificate bearing the seal of official government authority.

4. Divorce Decree (or Death Certificate): If the visa applicant is divorced (or spouse died), a certified copy of every divorce decree (or death certificate, if applicable) bearing the seal of official government authority.

5. Police Certificate: Each visa applicant must apply for a police record clearance from every country in which the applicant lived for more than six months, since the age of 16. The police record clearance must be obtained for each applicant, even if the applicant has never been arrested. The police certificate must be obtained before attending the visa interview.

6. Medical Examination and Supplement (Immunization Records): A medical examination by a designated physician is required before attending the visa interview. The applicant will hand-deliver the sealed envelope to the consular officer at the interview.

7. Employment Letter or Proof of Financial Support: If the visa applicant was sponsored by a U.S. employer, an employment letter confirming a job offer is required. If the visa applicant was sponsored by a family member, the U.S. citizen or permanent resident relative must submit an Affidavit of Support on Form I-864.

8. Immigrant Visa Application: The visa applicant must complete Form DS-230, Part II and take the completed form to the interview. It is important that the applicant not sign the form because this particular form is to be signed only in the presence of the Consular Officer.

9. Approval Notices: Visa Applicants must take all approval notices they have ever received.

10. Waiver Applications (if applicable): For certain visa applicants who are ineligible to enter the United States, a waiver application is required.

More...

Approved by IV Mods
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote