Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Recent Blogs
Click to log in with Facebook
Recent Blogs RSS feeds of select Blogs on Immigration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 03:10 AM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
EB3_SEP04 is a splendid one to behold EB3_SEP04 is a splendid one to behold EB3_SEP04 is a splendid one to behold EB3_SEP04 is a splendid one to behold EB3_SEP04 is a splendid one to behold EB3_SEP04 is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Spelling Bee 2009

Kavya Shivshankar won the spelling bee 2009

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/05/28/national.spelling.bee/

I watched the entire fiinal. Apart from kavya my favorites were Kyle Mou and Tim ruiter. This was Kyle's last chance, but I hope Tim wins next year.

Just thinking aloud : Out of 11 finalist 8 were kids of immigrant parents (7 of them indian). is it just co-incidence ?

I hope after watching this, americans should now have no doubts that imiigrants are here not because they work for less but because they are good at what they do and they are hard working people.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:23 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-09
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2010
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
04/03/2012
Compare
hsingh82 has a reputation beyond repute hsingh82 has a reputation beyond repute hsingh82 has a reputation beyond repute hsingh82 has a reputation beyond repute hsingh82 has a reputation beyond repute hsingh82 has a reputation beyond repute hsingh82 has a reputation beyond repute hsingh82 has a reputation beyond repute hsingh82 has a reputation beyond repute hsingh82 has a reputation beyond repute hsingh82 has a reputation beyond repute

If America losses us, many of us are already planning to go back to India because of this GC process, they will also lose these kids who are bright future of America.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:21 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute gcisadawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsingh82 View Post
If America losses us, many of us are already planning to go back to India because of this GC process, they will also lose these kids who are bright future of America.
To me, more than anything, what the immigrant parents bring to the table, is the stable family life that they can provide to their children that is the best of eastern and western values. I hope this run continues and these kids excel in whatever they do.

GCisaDawg
Old 05-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/12/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
add78 has a brilliant future add78 has a brilliant future add78 has a brilliant future add78 has a brilliant future add78 has a brilliant future add78 has a brilliant future add78 has a brilliant future add78 has a brilliant future add78 has a brilliant future add78 has a brilliant future add78 has a brilliant future

Championship word for Legal Future Immigrants in USA waiting in the EB-backlogs = A-P-A-T-H-Y

If you disagree, then get off your behind, join the state chapter, donate to your own cause and organize.
JOIN NEW ENGLAND CHAPTER (MA, ME, NH, RI, VT)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MA_Immigration_Voice/
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes We Can? Sure We Can.
Yes We Will? Sure We Will.
But All Is Nil, Unless We Do The Thing.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Priority Date
:
Dec-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
delta3110 is a splendid one to behold delta3110 is a splendid one to behold delta3110 is a splendid one to behold delta3110 is a splendid one to behold delta3110 is a splendid one to behold delta3110 is a splendid one to behold

This is the third time an Indian American has won the competition in a row.

BTW, the huge number of Indian American partcipants is not due to the fact that " Indian Americans" are brilliant... These children (at least most) are partcipating not becasue they have talent but they are being forced to by the aspirations of their parents.

All the Indian American children are crying, sitting on the lap of their parents etc... See any other kid who lost, they were cool.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/25/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/10/2007
Compare
newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute newuser has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta3110 View Post

BTW, the huge number of Indian American partcipants is not due to the fact that " Indian Americans" are brilliant... These children (at least most) are partcipating not becasue they have talent but they are being forced to by the aspirations of their parents.

All the Indian American children are crying, sitting on the lap of their parents etc... See any other kid who lost, they were cool.

Bullshit.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/30/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
kak1978 has a reputation beyond repute kak1978 has a reputation beyond repute kak1978 has a reputation beyond repute kak1978 has a reputation beyond repute kak1978 has a reputation beyond repute kak1978 has a reputation beyond repute kak1978 has a reputation beyond repute kak1978 has a reputation beyond repute kak1978 has a reputation beyond repute kak1978 has a reputation beyond repute kak1978 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed the statement "Indian Americans are brilliant" is too much generalisation, but Many of the immigrants from India and China are here because they are highly educated, so they put a lot of emphasis on academics, as a sports star might on his/her children in sports, likewise a movie star.
Its better to be guided by aspirations than to be misguided by carelessness.

Quote:

Old 05-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Maybe your parents did not hug you enough when you were growing up, but that's not a justifiable reason to be jealous from these kids.

We are all born as genius, life de-genius us. Each one of us have the ability to be brilliant, it just depends how each one of us chose to spend our time. Folks who spend their time constructively are brilliant, because they have learned to ignore the negative. That's why these kids are brilliant and that's why they have the talent.

A growing child with aspirations looking for a parent to comfort and console them is not a sign of weakness, its a sign of a strong bond between the child and the parent, I guess thats a cultural thing. And a strong bond with parents that takes away nothing from them for being recognized for their talent.

As far as being forced by parents is concerned, I know for fact that I would have NOT gone to University to get a degree if my parents were not there to guide me at that age. If parents use constructive guidance that allows the children to strive and become better citizens of the society, that's called "personal responsibility". Last time I check, someone became the President of this country speaking in favor of "personal responsibility" and "responsibility of parents". Was that wrong?

Last edited by ronhira; 05-29-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute
Default This is stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB3_SEP04 View Post
Kavya Shivshankar won the spelling bee 2009

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/05/28/national.spelling.bee/

I watched the entire fiinal. Apart from kavya my favorites were Kyle Mou and Tim ruiter. This was Kyle's last chance, but I hope Tim wins next year.

Just thinking aloud : Out of 11 finalist 8 were kids of immigrant parents (7 of them indian). is it just co-incidence ?

I hope after watching this, americans should now have no doubts that imiigrants are here not because they work for less but because they are good at what they do and they are hard working people.
This whole spelling bee thing is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. By any standards, it is pure and simple torture to subject the kids to memorizing thousands of words and their stupid spellings. And what use is that? Have they never heard of something called SPELL-CHECK in Microsoft Word and other email services ?

Or are they afraid that their kid will go to a job interview and someone might ask them to spell the word that no one on the planet ever uses and is only present in the Oxford Dictionary.

Those who subject their kids to such a regimented, rigorous, scripted childhood are preparing a next generation of work-force that would only know how to follow the orders and accept directions.

85 % of the fortune 500 CEOs are not MBAs. And the other 15% that have an MBA, only 3 of the 15 have done MBA from an IVY LEAGUE school.

What that tells you is that too much education and scholarly childhood increases your job security, in that sense that you will never be unemployed, but it decreases the chances that you will be on the top or you will be a billionaire.

The biggest prize goes NOT TO people who can follow directions and know everything, but who can GIVE directions and get things done.
Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
- Steven Weinberg, Nobel Prize winning physicist.
--------------------------------------------------
Old 05-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Feb-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/17/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/12/2007
Compare
ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute ronhira has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclife View Post
This whole spelling bee thing is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. By any standards, it is pure and simple torture to subject the kids to memorizing thousands of words and their stupid spellings. And what use is that? Have they never heard of something called SPELL-CHECK in Microsoft Word and other email services ?

Or are they afraid that their kid will go to a job interview and someone might ask them to spell the word that no one on the planet ever uses and is only present in the Oxford Dictionary.

Those who subject their kids to such a regimented, rigorous, scripted childhood are preparing a next generation of work-force that would only know how to follow the orders and accept directions.

85 % of the fortune 500 CEOs are not MBAs. And the other 15% that have an MBA, only 3 of the 15 have done MBA from an IVY LEAGUE school.

What that tells you is that too much education and scholarly childhood increases your job security, in that sense that you will never be unemployed, but it decreases the chances that you will be on the top or you will be a billionaire.

The biggest prize goes NOT TO people who can follow directions and know everything, but who can GIVE directions and get things done.
That a decent logic. Why do we have olympics and celebrate the winner of 100m dash? Don't we have cars/trains/planes that can go faster than 100m in 9.2 sec. Then why race to find out who runs faster than others. Its the same reason for Spelling Bee, I guess.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/03/2007
Compare
leoindiano has a brilliant future leoindiano has a brilliant future leoindiano has a brilliant future leoindiano has a brilliant future leoindiano has a brilliant future leoindiano has a brilliant future leoindiano has a brilliant future leoindiano has a brilliant future leoindiano has a brilliant future leoindiano has a brilliant future leoindiano has a brilliant future

It is a competition, Indian kids are winning. This is not ultimate thing in life. Still last night it was highly viewed, coveted title and winning it is not a small achievement. I would say just be happy for them.

I am happy for the girl and their family. I wish her best of luck and hope she would become BEST neurosurgeon in USA.
Attended DC rally
NC state chapter http://groups.google.com/group/iv-nc
Old 05-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
EB3_SEP04 is a splendid one to behold EB3_SEP04 is a splendid one to behold EB3_SEP04 is a splendid one to behold EB3_SEP04 is a splendid one to behold EB3_SEP04 is a splendid one to behold EB3_SEP04 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

How do you support your statement? and how many Bee contestants have you met/talked to?

in studies you can not force someone, you can only help them stay focused, having lived in NJ for 6-7 years i have met dozens of india american teenagers, very rarely have i heard them going to so caled "teenage clubs" where they do all the kinds of nasty stuff. teaching kids how to stay away from things that would hurt them in the long run, and spending enough time with them is what most immigrant(not just indians) parents do.

15 years from now when you see more than 50% neurosurgens are of indian origin, please stand at times with a banner "these neurosurgens are not brilliant but they were forced by their parents"
Old 05-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/10/2007
Compare
kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts kumarc123 is infamous around these parts
Unhappy Disagree

Quote:

I tend to disagrees with your comments, firstly please dont call this a stupid event, as a lot of young students strive to win this competition. In order to lead you have to follow, I have come across some smart ass Indians who love to talk and give directions, but they miss whole chunk of substance in their directions. (I don't mean to target you or disrespect any one else up here).

Your commments on parents motivating their childeren to strive for success in their lives, their is nothing wrong in that, would you rather have them go smoke dope and jerk around to waste their time? I am indian and proud to be, , above all proud that my parents pushed me to excel and do better with the opportunities granted to me.

However it is some desi companies who brought in the trend of lying and faking to get thie ways. But believe me , they dont get much further in their lives. I am glad strict restrictions are imposed on these companies, and the type of consultants they bring on board.

Is it fair that the person doing Masters from this country be put in the same boat as a fresh of boat from India?

Good Luck!

The famous quote is: You can only fool me once!
Old 05-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare

Quote:

why do they hold mathematics competetions when we have calculators?
Old 05-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
Others
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/04/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/02/2007
Compare
bhatt will become famous soon enough bhatt will become famous soon enough
Default It is a torture

Quote:

Absolutely true, It is torturing the kids for the aspirations of the parents to be seen in the national TV and for award.
It is not the poor kids are not getting the award, it is the parent, especially it is the trend with indians.
LC Approved OCt 2006
I-140 Approved Mar 2007
I-485 Receipt Date-> Aug 02 07
First FP ->Dec 28 07
First EAD->Nov 23, 07
Second EAD- Sept 30, 08
Third EAD-?