Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Recent Blogs
Click to log in with Facebook
Recent Blogs RSS feeds of select Blogs on Immigration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Blog Feeds is a name known to all Blog Feeds is a name known to all Blog Feeds is a name known to all Blog Feeds is a name known to all Blog Feeds is a name known to all Blog Feeds is a name known to all
Default Hundreds of workers to be terminated at American Apparel

Hundreds of American Apparel Inc. workers must leave the company because they were unable to prove their immigration status or fix problems with their employment records, the bottom line is that almost 1600 workers were not legally allowed to work in the US.

ICE first conducted an inspection of American Apparel in early 2008 to determine if the company was complying with immigration laws. This past July, American Apparel received notification from ICE that the agency had been unable to verify the employment eligibility of approximately 200 American Apparel employees, and, based on ICE's review of government databases, another 1,600 American Apparel employees did not appear to be authorized to work in the U.S.

Although the dismissals amount to more than 10% of American Apparel's roughly 10,000-employee workforce, the company doesn't expect problems for its business. American Apparel has a track record of being a strong advocate for immigration reform. The clothing company's "Legalize LA" campaign is an integral part of the company's culture. A combination of advertising, education and resources on American Apparel's website shows just how committed the company is to raising awareness on the subject of immigration.

Here is what the company's CEO had to say:
It is my belief that immigrants bring prosperity to any economy. They become motivated workers, and they sometimes become motivated business owners like me. They bring fresh ideas, optimism, and passion to any economy and they help contribute to a prosperous future.

Although many people forget, migration has been going on for thousands of years, and it will continue for ever. My true dream is that one day we will all live in a world without borders.
This is just one example of how Immigration enforcement is on the rise, the only questions is who is next.

Read the CEO's letter here

More...

Approved by IV Mods
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
EB1C
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/25/2013
Compare
go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute go_guy123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Feeds View Post
Hundreds of American Apparel Inc. workers must leave the company because they were unable to prove their immigration status or fix problems with their employment records, the bottom line is that almost 1600 workers were not legally allowed to work in the US.

ICE first conducted an inspection of American Apparel in early 2008 to determine if the company was complying with immigration laws. This past July, American Apparel received notification from ICE that the agency had been unable to verify the employment eligibility of approximately 200 American Apparel employees, and, based on ICE's review of government databases, another 1,600 American Apparel employees did not appear to be authorized to work in the U.S.

Although the dismissals amount to more than 10% of American Apparel's roughly 10,000-employee workforce, the company doesn't expect problems for its business. American Apparel has a track record of being a strong advocate for immigration reform. The clothing company's "Legalize LA" campaign is an integral part of the company's culture. A combination of advertising, education and resources on American Apparel's website shows just how committed the company is to raising awareness on the subject of immigration.

Here is what the company's CEO had to say:
It is my belief that immigrants bring prosperity to any economy. They become motivated workers, and they sometimes become motivated business owners like me. They bring fresh ideas, optimism, and passion to any economy and they help contribute to a prosperous future.

Although many people forget, migration has been going on for thousands of years, and it will continue for ever. My true dream is that one day we will all live in a world without borders.
This is just one example of how Immigration enforcement is on the rise, the only questions is who is next.

Read the CEO's letter here

More...

Its a part of the lobby effort by Bush during final years and now Obama to pressure
Congress to pass CIR.

So long the businesses got to hire the illegals they were fine and play ball with the CIR. Now as the administration rachets up the pressure on employers, at one point they will put pressure on Congress.

Same thing will happen to H1B. So long corporate america got to hire H1B through body shoppers who do the illegal H1B practices tehyw ere fine and only asked for H1B quota increase. Now that these middle men (bodyshopper)are slowly going
out of business. At one point when the recovery happens , the IT rates will shoot up. 2 things can happen.

1) USCIS/DOL goes back to its old way regarding H1B/L1B

or

2) USCIS/DOL continues its enforcement and then IT salaries will start going up and
eventually force the industry to lobby for some reform.

I don't know when it will happen, but I am sure eventually one of the 2 above will happen. As the African American guy said in Harold and Kumar :

In the end universe tends to unfold as it should.