Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Recent Blogs
Click to log in with Facebook
Recent Blogs RSS feeds of select Blogs on Immigration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 02:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Blog Feeds is a name known to all Blog Feeds is a name known to all Blog Feeds is a name known to all Blog Feeds is a name known to all Blog Feeds is a name known to all Blog Feeds is a name known to all
Default SPECIAL EAD and Advance Parole Renewal

The required documents for filing an EAD renewal are as follows:
1. copy of current EAD card (front and back)
2. copy of I-485 receipt notice
3. copy of I-765 approval notices
4. two (2) colored passport style photographs for each applicant
5. application fee $340 each (Check made payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security- DO NOT ABBREVIATE)

The required documents for filing an AP renewal are as follows:
1. copy of current Advance Parole approval
2. copy of current status for each applicant; (For example, if on H1B, a copy of current H1B approval notice, etc.)
3. copy of I-485 receipt notice
4. two (2) colored passport style photographs for each applicant
5. application fee $305 (Check made payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security DO NOT ABBREVIATE)

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

Question: How soon can I renew my EAD and Advance Parole (AP)?
Answer: You can file the renewal 120 days prior to the expiration date. However, AP applicants are advised to reapply within 30 days or less remaining on their current I-131 document.

Question: I have a valid H-1B. Do I need to renew EAD and AP?
Answer: No. You do not have to renew your EAD or AP. According to the new USCIS guidance issued last November, People on L1 or H-1B status can travel without AP. However, it is advisable to renew the EAD and AP as a precautionary measure if you plan to travel. For instance, if you travel outside the U.S. and you are not allowed back into the U.S. by customs on H-1B for any given reason, you can always come back in with AP and ensure that your adjustment of status proceeding continues.

Question: My spouse has H4 and is currently not working; do I need to renew EAD? Can I renew later when I need it?
Answer: You do not need to renew EAD. You can reapply for EAD anytime while your I-485 is pending.

Question: How long does it take to get a new EAD and AP?
Answer: Current processing times can be viewed on the USCIS website.

Question: My H-1B is expiring, should I extend H-1B or be on EAD?
Answer: You can work on EAD while your adjustment of status application (I-485) is pending. However, in the unforeseen event that your adjustment of status application is denied by the USCIS, you would fall out of status. Therefore, it is a good idea to maintain H-1B status as long as you can. However, this is decision that you have to make.

Question: Can I renew AP while I am outside the U.S.?
Answer: No

Question: What happens if my EAD expires and Im still waiting for an approval of 485 while I am working?
Answer: If not on valid H-1B/L status, you cannot work until you get an approval.

Question: If I am currently on O1 status, and would like to travel, should I apply for AP and EAD, or just AP?
Answer: If you are on a nonimmigrant status other than H-1B, H-4, L-1, or L-2, you should obtain an AP, but EAD is not needed. Problems could occur while traveling, especially when attempting to reenter the U.S. Therefore, it is recommended that if you are not on H-1B/L status, that you should obtain both an EAD and AP if you wish to travel outside the U.S. while your I-485 is pending.

Question: What is the validity period for the EAD card?
Answer: As of June 30, 2008, USCIS will issue EAD valid for two years for individuals who qualify. The new two-year EAD is only available to individuals who have filed Adjustment of status I-485 and are unable to become a lawful permanent resident because an immigrant visa number is not currently available.

More...

Approved by IV Mods

Last edited by pappu; 10-29-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/10/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/19/2007
Compare
visa_reval has a reputation beyond repute visa_reval has a reputation beyond repute visa_reval has a reputation beyond repute visa_reval has a reputation beyond repute visa_reval has a reputation beyond repute visa_reval has a reputation beyond repute visa_reval has a reputation beyond repute visa_reval has a reputation beyond repute visa_reval has a reputation beyond repute visa_reval has a reputation beyond repute visa_reval has a reputation beyond repute
Default What would be the filing fees

what would be the filing fees when we apply for EAD or AP? I heard that since the filing fee increase, we do not need to send the fees each time we renew. Is this correct?
Old 10-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/05/2007
Compare
nrk is infamous around these parts nrk is infamous around these parts nrk is infamous around these parts nrk is infamous around these parts nrk is infamous around these parts nrk is infamous around these parts nrk is infamous around these parts nrk is infamous around these parts nrk is infamous around these parts nrk is infamous around these parts nrk is infamous around these parts
Default Is it another LAW firm

it is a dumb question, is it another attorney firm offers the services.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute vinzak has a reputation beyond repute

Soon they'll tell you processing time is 6 mnths and so you need to apply twice a year.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/18/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Compare
bpratap has a reputation beyond repute bpratap has a reputation beyond repute bpratap has a reputation beyond repute bpratap has a reputation beyond repute bpratap has a reputation beyond repute bpratap has a reputation beyond repute bpratap has a reputation beyond repute bpratap has a reputation beyond repute bpratap has a reputation beyond repute bpratap has a reputation beyond repute bpratap has a reputation beyond repute
Default EAD recieved only for 1 year

I applied for EAD in June 2009 (485 filed in August 2007) but I received the EAD only for 1 year. I called USCIS Customer Care, they were not able to give a clear pic of why they gave only 1 year EAD.

They came up with weird explanation, like may be my case is expected to get a VISA number soon, that could be why I got only 1 year EAD. how ever if I need more info I was advised to get a infopass.

Anybody have similar experience ?
Old 10-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/05/2007
Compare
nrk is infamous around these parts nrk is infamous around these parts nrk is infamous around these parts nrk is infamous around these parts nrk is infamous around these parts nrk is infamous around these parts nrk is infamous around these parts nrk is infamous around these parts nrk is infamous around these parts nrk is infamous around these parts nrk is infamous around these parts

They might have thought that it is EB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpratap View Post
I applied for EAD in June 2009 (485 filed in August 2007) but I received the EAD only for 1 year. I called USCIS Customer Care, they were not able to give a clear pic of why they gave only 1 year EAD.

They came up with weird explanation, like may be my case is expected to get a VISA number soon, that could be why I got only 1 year EAD. how ever if I need more info I was advised to get a infopass.

Anybody have similar experience ?
Old 10-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/07/2006
Compare
bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of bluekayal has much to be proud of

I returned an EAD card with 1 yr and requested for another. It came through.