Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2007, 11:18 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sbdol has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default The way to restore justice

I got a brilliant idea guys, I am sure it is not new but it looks now is the right time to pursue it.
Apparently it would be very difficult to fight FBI namechek delays. After USCIS was swamped with a pile of cases due to visa retrogression fiasco the processing times most probably will increase significantly. The visa retrogression is going to be reinstated.
Also there is a great injustice to those who had to go through the BEC black hole.
I think everybody agrees that the current green card process is a lottery where winners get everything in a couple of months and losers wait sometimes 10 years. (Yes I know such cases).

So how to fix all this in a way that it would not affect negatively anybody?
The answer might be very simple: Count the time spent waiting in the administration created lines towards citizenship. In other words the 5 year count starts not when one get the green card but from one’s priority date. After all it is not the immigrant's fault that he has the same name as someone who saw a suspicious person on the plane and was questioned by FBI as a witness.
This would PARTIALLY restore justice without punishing anybody.

USCIS will be happy as it would take off some pressure from their delays.

Legislators are happy as more people will be able to vote for them.

Immigration lawyers are happy as the measure would not take away their revenue, in fact it may even increase it.

All those who say in numerous interviews on TV “.. we are a nation of immigrants and we support LEGAL immigration but we do not want amnesty…” are happy or would have to admit that they are happy to save the face.

The current losers in immigration process would automatically catch up (almost) with the luckiest ones.

Immigrationvoice will be happy as I am sure many current waiters and even those who already got their green cards would contribute to support the measure.

Anti immigrants are NOT UNHAPPY since the measure does not increase the number of immigrants.

Employers are NOT UNHAPPY since the measure does not affect them in any way.

If immigrationvoice has desire and resources to suggest and support a measure to the legislature it better concentrate on this rather that on something like “… make FBI report namecheck results to the applicants..”.
Of course it would require changes to the current legislature but I cannot imagine that somebody would come out with a sensible reason against it.

Last edited by sbdol; 07-20-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/20/2007
Compare
indio0617 has a spectacular aura about indio0617 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbdol
I got a brilliant idea guys, I am sure it is not new but it looks now is the right time to pursue it.
Apparently it would be very difficult to fight FBI namechek delays. After USCIS was swamped with a pile of cases due to visa retrogression fiasco the processing times most probably will increase significantly. The visa retrogression is going to be reinstated.
Also there is a great injustice to those who had to go through the BEC black hole.
I think everybody agrees that the current green card process is a lottery where winners get everything in a couple of months and losers wait sometimes 10 years. (Yes I know such cases).

So how to fix all this in a way that it would not affect negatively anybody?
The answer might be very simple: Count the time spent waiting in the administration created lines towards citizenship. In other words the 5 year count starts not when one get the green card but from one’s priority date. After all it is not the immigrant's fault that he has the same name as someone who saw a suspicious person on the plane and was questioned by FBI as a witness.
This would PARTIALLY restore justice without punishing anybody.

USCIS will be happy as it would take off some pressure from their delays.

Legislators are happy as more people will be able to vote for them.

Immigration lawyers are happy as the measure would not take away their revenue, in fact it may even increase it.

All those who say in numerous interviews on TV “.. we are a nation of immigrants and we support LEGAL immigration but we do not want amnesty…” are happy or would have to admit that they are happy to save the face.

The current losers in immigration process would automatically catch up (almost) with the luckiest ones.

Immigrationvoice will be happy as I am sure many current waiters and even those who already got their green cards would contribute to support the measure.

Anti immigrants are NOT UNHAPPY since the measure does not increase the number of immigrants.

Employers are NOT UNHAPPY since the measure does not affect them in any way.

If immigrationvoice has desire and resources to suggest and support a measure to the legislature it better concentrate on this rather that on something like “… make FBI report namecheck results to the applicants..”.
Of course it would require changes to the current legislature but I cannot imagine that somebody would come out with a sensible reason against it.

sbdol:

IV core has thought about this specific proposal before and it is already on our radar. Thanks for suggesting though.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
United States
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
priderock is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not sure whether it will fly or not, but I always thought it is a good idea to consider how many years a person is in USA on a legally working status and contributes to Federal,State,local taxes and social security and Medicare , rather than how many years a person has GC.

I am sure laws about citizenship needs amended to facilitate that and I don't think any one has appetite to attempt it or even to think on those lines currently.

PS: Just Came to know yesterday about a person who came here literally 4 months ago bought a LC from 2001 and going to get his GC in months time and I know a friend who is here for a decade is still waiting in PBEC. This process is not fair and never was and so is life

Last edited by priderock; 07-20-2007 at 11:48 AM.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sbdol has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by indio0617
sbdol:

IV core has thought about this specific proposal before and it is already on our radar. Thanks for suggesting though.
Thanks indio0617.
As I said I was sure the idea is not new simply beause it is too obvious.
Did you try to persuade members of Congress/Senate to submit such proposal ?