Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
john2255 will become famous soon enough
Default Defeat- We Shockingly Lost A Great Chance Of Winning 2,40,000 Recapture Unused Visas

I am sorry to start a new thread but I feel the following thread is not getting the importance it should get. Everyone please dont miss the following thread. Its a big defeat during our celebrations.

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=10751 (Cornyn amendment rejected)

Major loss to us Cornyn amendment rejected

Last edited by john2255; 07-21-2007 at 09:08 AM.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Priority Date
:
May-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/01/2005
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/04/2007
Compare
Hassan11 is a name known to all Hassan11 is a name known to all Hassan11 is a name known to all Hassan11 is a name known to all Hassan11 is a name known to all Hassan11 is a name known to all
Default do you want to know what senators are in the side of skilled immigrants??

The short answer is most republicans voted yes for the senator Cornyn's bill to recapture the unused employment -based visas from previous years and almost all Democrats voted No (except Murray democrat from Washington voted yes for the bill. I guess Microsoft does have influencial power on the senator from Washington state)

see the info here about bill: http://www.immigration-law.com/Canada.html

Yesterday, Senator Cornyn introduced on the Senate floor Amendment 2339 to H.R. 2669, FY 2008 Budget, proposing the following temporaary relieffor the employment-based immigrants. Sadly, the bill was rejected by 55 Nays, 40 Yeas, and one No Vote. Do your want to know who voted against this bill? Click here.
SEC. __. EMPLOYMENT-BASED VISAS.

(a) Recapture of Unused Employment-Based Immigrant Visas.--Section 106(d) of the American Competitiveness in the Twenty-first Century Act of 2000 (Public Law 106-313; 8 U.S.C. 1153 note) is amended--

(1) in paragraph (1)--

(A) by inserting ``1994, 1996, 1997, 1998,'' after ``available in fiscal year'';
(B) by striking ``or 2004'' and inserting ``2004, or 2006''; and
(C) by striking ``be available'' and all that follows and inserting the following: ``be available only to--

``(A) employment-based immigrants under paragraphs (1), (2), and (3) of section 203(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1153(b));
``(B) the family members accompanying or following to join such employment-based immigrants under section 203(d) of such Act; and
``(C) those immigrant workers who had petitions approved based on Schedule A, Group I under section 656.5 of title 20, Code of Federal Regulations, as promulgated by the Secretary of Labor.''; and

(2) in paragraph (2)--

(A) in subparagraph (A), by striking ``1999 through 2004'' and inserting ``1994, 1996 through 1998, 2001 through 2004, and 2006''; and
(B) in subparagraph (B), by amending clause (ii) to read as follows:

``(ii) DISTRIBUTION OF VISAS.--The total number of visas made available under paragraph (1) from unused visas from fiscal years 1994, 1996 through 1998, 2001 through 2004, and 2006 shall be distributed as follows:
``(I) The total number of visas made available for immigrant workers who had petitions approved based on Schedule A, Group I under section 656.5 of title 20, Code of Federal Regulations, as promulgated by the Secretary of Labor shall be 61,000.
``(II) The visas remaining from the total made available under subclause (I) shall be allocated equally among employment-based immigrants with approved petitions under paragraph (1), (2), or (3) of section 203(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (and their family members accompanying or following to join).''.

(b) H-1B Visa Availability.--Section 214(g)(1)(A) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1184(g)(1)(A)) is amended--

(1) in clause (vi), by striking ``and'' at the end;
(2) by redesignating clause (vii) as clause (ix); and
(3) by inserting after clause (vi) the following:

``(vii) 65,000 in each of fiscal years 2004 through 2007
``(viii) 115,000 in fiscal year 2008; and''.

This reporter asks the readers to join him to extend our "THANK YOU" to the Senator Cornyn for continuously supporting the American businesses, foreign brains, and employment-based immigration. This reporter also urges the readers to send a thank-you email for his support.
We are proud of the Senators from Minnesota, Norm Coleman (R) and Amy Klochubar, by setting aside the partisan politics and casting bi-parisan support for this bill. THANK YOU, and THANK!!

here is the list of the senators of their votes:

U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 110th Congress - 1st Session

as compiled through Senate LIS by the Senate Bill Clerk under the direction of the Secretary of the Senate

Vote Summary

Question: On the Motion (Motion to Waive Cornyn Amdt No. 2339 )
Vote Number: 266 Vote Date: July 19, 2007, 11:00 PM
Required For Majority: 3/5 Vote Result: Motion Rejected
Amendment Number: S.Amdt. 2339 to S.Amdt. 2327 to H.R. 2669 (College Cost Reduction Act of 2007 )
Statement of Purpose: To provide interim relief for shortages in employment-based visas for aliens with extraordinary ability and advanced degrees and for nurses.
Vote Counts: YEAs 55
NAYs 40
Not Voting 5
Vote Summary By Senator Name By Vote Position By Home State

Alphabetical by Senator Name Akaka (D-HI), Nay
Alexander (R-TN), Yea
Allard (R-CO), Yea
Barrasso (R-WY), Yea
Baucus (D-MT), Yea
Bayh (D-IN), Yea
Bennett (R-UT), Yea
Biden (D-DE), Nay
Bingaman (D-NM), Nay
Bond (R-MO), Yea
Boxer (D-CA), Nay
Brown (D-OH), Nay
Brownback (R-KS), Not Voting
Bunning (R-KY), Yea
Burr (R-NC), Yea
Byrd (D-WV), Not Voting
Cantwell (D-WA), Yea
Cardin (D-MD), Nay
Carper (D-DE), Nay
Casey (D-PA), Nay
Chambliss (R-GA), Yea
Clinton (D-NY), Nay
Coburn (R-OK), Yea
Cochran (R-MS), Yea
Coleman (R-MN), Yea
Collins (R-ME), Yea
Conrad (D-ND), Nay
Corker (R-TN), Yea
Cornyn (R-TX), Yea
Craig (R-ID), Yea
Crapo (R-ID), Yea
DeMint (R-SC), Yea
Dodd (D-CT), Nay
Dole (R-NC), Yea
Domenici (R-NM), Yea
Dorgan (D-ND), Nay
Durbin (D-IL), Nay
Ensign (R-NV), Yea
Enzi (R-WY), Yea
Feingold (D-WI), Nay
Feinstein (D-CA), Nay
Graham (R-SC), Yea
Grassley (R-IA), Yea
Gregg (R-NH), Yea
Hagel (R-NE), Yea
Harkin (D-IA), Nay
Hatch (R-UT), Yea
Hutchison (R-TX), Yea
Inhofe (R-OK), Yea
Inouye (D-HI), Nay
Isakson (R-GA), Yea
Johnson (D-SD), Not Voting
Kennedy (D-MA), Nay
Kerry (D-MA), Nay
Klobuchar (D-MN), Yea
Kohl (D-WI), Nay
Kyl (R-AZ), Yea
Landrieu (D-LA), Yea
Lautenberg (D-NJ), Nay
Leahy (D-VT), Nay
Levin (D-MI), Nay
Lieberman (ID-CT), Yea
Lincoln (D-AR), Nay
Lott (R-MS), Not Voting
Lugar (R-IN), Yea
Martinez (R-FL), Yea
McCain (R-AZ), Yea
McCaskill (D-MO), Nay
McConnell (R-KY), Yea
Menendez (D-NJ), Nay
Mikulski (D-MD), Nay
Murkowski (R-AK), Yea
Murray (D-WA), Yea
Nelson (D-FL), Nay
Nelson (D-NE), Yea
Obama (D-IL), Not Voting
Pryor (D-AR), Nay
Reed (D-RI), Nay
Reid (D-NV), Nay
Roberts (R-KS), Yea
Rockefeller (D-WV), Nay
Salazar (D-CO), Nay
Sanders (I-VT), Nay
Schumer (D-NY), Yea
Sessions (R-AL), Nay
Shelby (R-AL), Yea
Smith (R-OR), Yea
Snowe (R-ME), Yea
Specter (R-PA), Yea
Stabenow (D-MI), Nay
Stevens (R-AK), Yea
Sununu (R-NH), Yea
Tester (D-MT), Nay
Thune (R-SD), Yea
Vitter (R-LA), Yea
Voinovich (R-OH), Nay
Warner (R-VA), Yea
Webb (D-VA), Nay
Whitehouse (D-RI), Nay
Wyden (D-OR), Yea

Old 07-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
vjkypally is infamous around these parts vjkypally is infamous around these parts
Default Be Sorry

Be Sorry that you are link ain;t workin

Old 07-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute Gravitation has a reputation beyond repute

How come we didn't have any phone campaign? What were our lobbyists doing?

I'm glued to C-SPAN whenever anything related to immigration is going on in the senate. This time I wasn't aware of it.

We need to be more alert this time. Maybe a phone campaign or web-fax campaign would have turned the scale! We gotta be more alert.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
02/19/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/16/2007
Compare
rolrblade will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitation
How come we didn't have any phone campaign? What were our lobbyists doing?

I'm glued to C-SPAN whenever anything related to immigration is going on in the senate. This time I wasn't aware of it.

We need to be more alert this time. Maybe a phone campaign or web-fax campaign would have turned the scale! We gotta be more alert.
Don't worry. This is not the complete defeat yet, since this ammendment ties into the troops withdrawl bill. The president would have definately vetoed the bill.

The bigger thing is the SKILL ACT, which has yet to be at the floor. If we really want any success, we have to ensure that the immigration act is passed a a standalone act and not an ammendment to any other bill regarding defense.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/24/2003
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
05/24/2004
Compare
sbabunle is on a distinguished road

I can't believe both California senators voted against it.....
You too Hillary Clinton????

Old 07-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Aug-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/30/2011
Compare
thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute thomachan72 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi John, thanks for bringing this to the attention of our members. Lets hope everybody finds time to call Sen Cornyn to thank him for introducing this bill. Another thing I wanted to say is that, our members are all busy with 485 filing and stuff so we can expect a response only after the 17th of August when the excitement of 485 filing is over. Even though it was defeated it doesn't seem to be a very hated idea by the majority since 5 more votes would have made it safe. So there still seems to be a positive factor lingering around for us the "legal immigrants". Hope we are able to capitalize on it soon. IV is infact becomming stronger and more influential thanks to the dedicated efforts of the leader and the members. Pls keep up the spirit for all of us. We need vigilant people like you to do the work to spot opportunities and failures for the community. Thanks.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
desidream is on a distinguished road
Default We will get there

Guys
Don't worry about this bill being rejected. I am pretty sure one way or the other they need to increase the EB visa number soon, else definetely USCIS will be in big trouble with thousands of applications sitting there for them, now having said that USCIS will find a way to get some bill which will have EB visa count increased passed in congress, so untill then cheer up and complete your filing.
Labor approved : Nov'2006
I-140 approved : Feb'2007
I-485 : Jul'2007

Old 07-20-2007, 04:45 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
immi_twinges is on a distinguished road
Default Do you mean just wait and hope for better

Quote:
Originally Posted by desidream
Guys
Don't worry about this bill being rejected. I am pretty sure one way or the other they need to increase the EB visa number soon, else definetely USCIS will be in big trouble with thousands of applications sitting there for them, now having said that USCIS will find a way to get some bill which will have EB visa count increased passed in congress, so untill then cheer up and complete your filing.
Do you mean just wait and hope for better....just wondering...

I dont understand Hillary
She recently announced in her campaign that she will increase the H1B visas
She also made a statement that she will try for more benefits for permanent residents.

She does not want to support only the people who are in the process of immigration???

Whats up with that.

May be she is afraid of Lou Dobbs...Recently he has been criticizing her for her Indian ties

or may be she is pro Rich Indian Americans ... this might sound ridiculous but her voting ney is crazy

They always comment about us stealing the middle class jobs...tell me one case where they don't prefer US citizen over immigrant.
I have been interviewing for couple of companies ...the first question they ask is ...Are you US citizen 2nd question r u Permanent resident ..no..
Then we are sorry.

Companies do not prefer US citizens over Immigrants...I don't know where this misconception comes in to play...
There was a guy in our office who used to complain about Chineese and Indians stealing jobs...Believe he is a big slacker ..he recently got fired...people like him form these programmers guilds.

We do not work for less and we are not paid less...may be they deduct our Gc expenses but not much

Why is there a misconception about us?

Lets get this thought out of these bone heads

We are not middle class job stealers...We are the building blocks of a strong middle class

Old 07-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/01/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute looivy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dems

Hillary just cares about vote bank. The Bay area group that invited her should not endorse her.

Shame on Dems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan11
The short answer is most republicans voted yes for the senator Cornyn's bill to recapture the unused employment -based visas from previous years and almost all Democrats voted No (except Murray democrat from Washington voted yes for the bill. I guess Microsoft does have influencial power on the senator from Washington state)

see the info here about bill: http://www.immigration-law.com/Canada.html

Yesterday, Senator Cornyn introduced on the Senate floor Amendment 2339 to H.R. 2669, FY 2008 Budget, proposing the following temporaary relieffor the employment-based immigrants. Sadly, the bill was rejected by 55 Nays, 40 Yeas, and one No Vote. Do your want to know who voted against this bill? Click here.
SEC. __. EMPLOYMENT-BASED VISAS.

(a) Recapture of Unused Employment-Based Immigrant Visas.--Section 106(d) of the American Competitiveness in the Twenty-first Century Act of 2000 (Public Law 106-313; 8 U.S.C. 1153 note) is amended--

(1) in paragraph (1)--

(A) by inserting ``1994, 1996, 1997, 1998,'' after ``available in fiscal year'';
(B) by striking ``or 2004'' and inserting ``2004, or 2006''; and
(C) by striking ``be available'' and all that follows and inserting the following: ``be available only to--

``(A) employment-based immigrants under paragraphs (1), (2), and (3) of section 203(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1153(b));
``(B) the family members accompanying or following to join such employment-based immigrants under section 203(d) of such Act; and
``(C) those immigrant workers who had petitions approved based on Schedule A, Group I under section 656.5 of title 20, Code of Federal Regulations, as promulgated by the Secretary of Labor.''; and

(2) in paragraph (2)--

(A) in subparagraph (A), by striking ``1999 through 2004'' and inserting ``1994, 1996 through 1998, 2001 through 2004, and 2006''; and
(B) in subparagraph (B), by amending clause (ii) to read as follows:

``(ii) DISTRIBUTION OF VISAS.--The total number of visas made available under paragraph (1) from unused visas from fiscal years 1994, 1996 through 1998, 2001 through 2004, and 2006 shall be distributed as follows:
``(I) The total number of visas made available for immigrant workers who had petitions approved based on Schedule A, Group I under section 656.5 of title 20, Code of Federal Regulations, as promulgated by the Secretary of Labor shall be 61,000.
``(II) The visas remaining from the total made available under subclause (I) shall be allocated equally among employment-based immigrants with approved petitions under paragraph (1), (2), or (3) of section 203(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (and their family members accompanying or following to join).''.

(b) H-1B Visa Availability.--Section 214(g)(1)(A) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1184(g)(1)(A)) is amended--

(1) in clause (vi), by striking ``and'' at the end;
(2) by redesignating clause (vii) as clause (ix); and
(3) by inserting after clause (vi) the following:

``(vii) 65,000 in each of fiscal years 2004 through 2007
``(viii) 115,000 in fiscal year 2008; and''.

This reporter asks the readers to join him to extend our "THANK YOU" to the Senator Cornyn for continuously supporting the American businesses, foreign brains, and employment-based immigration. This reporter also urges the readers to send a thank-you email for his support.
We are proud of the Senators from Minnesota, Norm Coleman (R) and Amy Klochubar, by setting aside the partisan politics and casting bi-parisan support for this bill. THANK YOU, and THANK!!

here is the list of the senators of their votes:

U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 110th Congress - 1st Session

as compiled through Senate LIS by the Senate Bill Clerk under the direction of the Secretary of the Senate

Vote Summary

Question: On the Motion (Motion to Waive Cornyn Amdt No. 2339 )
Vote Number: 266 Vote Date: July 19, 2007, 11:00 PM
Required For Majority: 3/5 Vote Result: Motion Rejected
Amendment Number: S.Amdt. 2339 to S.Amdt. 2327 to H.R. 2669 (College Cost Reduction Act of 2007 )
Statement of Purpose: To provide interim relief for shortages in employment-based visas for aliens with extraordinary ability and advanced degrees and for nurses.
Vote Counts: YEAs 55
NAYs 40
Not Voting 5

Alphabetical by Senator Name Akaka (D-HI), Nay
Alexander (R-TN), Yea
Allard (R-CO), Yea
Barrasso (R-WY), Yea
Baucus (D-MT), Yea
Bayh (D-IN), Yea
Bennett (R-UT), Yea
Biden (D-DE), Nay
Bingaman (D-NM), Nay
Bond (R-MO), Yea
Boxer (D-CA), Nay
Brown (D-OH), Nay
Brownback (R-KS), Not Voting
Bunning (R-KY), Yea
Burr (R-NC), Yea
Byrd (D-WV), Not Voting
Cantwell (D-WA), Yea
Cardin (D-MD), Nay
Carper (D-DE), Nay
Casey (D-PA), Nay
Chambliss (R-GA), Yea
Clinton (D-NY), Nay
Coburn (R-OK), Yea
Cochran (R-MS), Yea
Coleman (R-MN), Yea
Collins (R-ME), Yea
Conrad (D-ND), Nay
Corker (R-TN), Yea
Cornyn (R-TX), Yea
Craig (R-ID), Yea
Crapo (R-ID), Yea
DeMint (R-SC), Yea
Dodd (D-CT), Nay
Dole (R-NC), Yea
Domenici (R-NM), Yea
Dorgan (D-ND), Nay
Durbin (D-IL), Nay
Ensign (R-NV), Yea
Enzi (R-WY), Yea
Feingold (D-WI), Nay
Feinstein (D-CA), Nay
Graham (R-SC), Yea
Grassley (R-IA), Yea
Gregg (R-NH), Yea
Hagel (R-NE), Yea
Harkin (D-IA), Nay
Hatch (R-UT), Yea
Hutchison (R-TX), Yea
Inhofe (R-OK), Yea
Inouye (D-HI), Nay
Isakson (R-GA), Yea
Johnson (D-SD), Not Voting
Kennedy (D-MA), Nay
Kerry (D-MA), Nay
Klobuchar (D-MN), Yea
Kohl (D-WI), Nay
Kyl (R-AZ), Yea
Landrieu (D-LA), Yea
Lautenberg (D-NJ), Nay
Leahy (D-VT), Nay
Levin (D-MI), Nay
Lieberman (ID-CT), Yea
Lincoln (D-AR), Nay
Lott (R-MS), Not Voting
Lugar (R-IN), Yea
Martinez (R-FL), Yea
McCain (R-AZ), Yea
McCaskill (D-MO), Nay
McConnell (R-KY), Yea
Menendez (D-NJ), Nay
Mikulski (D-MD), Nay
Murkowski (R-AK), Yea
Murray (D-WA), Yea
Nelson (D-FL), Nay
Nelson (D-NE), Yea
Obama (D-IL), Not Voting
Pryor (D-AR), Nay
Reed (D-RI), Nay
Reid (D-NV), Nay
Roberts (R-KS), Yea
Rockefeller (D-WV), Nay
Salazar (D-CO), Nay
Sanders (I-VT), Nay
Schumer (D-NY), Yea
Sessions (R-AL), Nay
Shelby (R-AL), Yea
Smith (R-OR), Yea
Snowe (R-ME), Yea
Specter (R-PA), Yea
Stabenow (D-MI), Nay
Stevens (R-AK), Yea
Sununu (R-NH), Yea
Tester (D-MT), Nay
Thune (R-SD), Yea
Vitter (R-LA), Yea
Voinovich (R-OH), Nay
Warner (R-VA), Yea
Webb (D-VA), Nay
Whitehouse (D-RI), Nay
Wyden (D-OR), Yea

Old 07-20-2007, 05:21 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/16/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
drirshad has much to be proud of drirshad has much to be proud of drirshad has much to be proud of drirshad has much to be proud of drirshad has much to be proud of drirshad has much to be proud of drirshad has much to be proud of drirshad has much to be proud of drirshad has much to be proud of
Default This news came before the bill was defeated .....

The following may not happen after the bill defeated ......

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...718_068854.htm

Skilled Workers May See Green-Card Surge
Problems with the green-card program have prompted informal discussions in Congress about a law to offer more visas to highly skilled applicants

Congressional leaders have begun to discuss legislation that would sharply increase the number of high-skilled foreign workers who could become permanent U. S. residents in the next few years. While it's sure to be controversial, the measure, if it passes, could mean more than 100,000 additional green cards would become available for skilled workers, perhaps even doubling the 140,000 that are allotted each year. "There are some discussions going on informally," says Representative Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.), who chairs the House subcommittee on immigration.

A sharp increase in green cards would come as a relief to many, particularly in the tech industry. High-skilled foreign workers have become increasingly upset in recent years because the wait to gain the cards, which confer permanent residency, has stretched to five or more years for certain applicants. Technology companies, including IBM (IBM), Microsoft (MSFT), Google (GOOG), and eBay (EBAY), have also advocated for more skilled workers from other countries to be let into the country.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:29 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/10/2006
Chargeability
:
Czech Republic
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/15/2007
Compare
lsuk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan11
Feingold (D-WI), Nay
Kohl (D-WI), Nay
Guys I cannot believe this. Our Wisconsin IV team went to see both these senator's immigration liasons 3 months ago. They both told us how much they feel for us and how much they will support us! Either they lied or it's the Democratic agenda to block everything if the illegals are not included. Very disappointing.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/20/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
12/20/2005
Compare
pitha has a brilliant future pitha has a brilliant future pitha has a brilliant future pitha has a brilliant future pitha has a brilliant future pitha has a brilliant future pitha has a brilliant future pitha has a brilliant future pitha has a brilliant future pitha has a brilliant future pitha has a brilliant future

there are class war democrats, what do you expect out of them. People who think democrats are good for immigrants this should be an eye opener. ofcourse if you were earning 5.15$ an hour and cleaning the democrats toilets and tending there front yards then they would have shown "compassion" to you. you earn way too much to get democrats compassion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabunle
I can't believe both California senators voted against it.....
You too Hillary Clinton????

Old 07-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
best_mode is on a distinguished road
Default Dems' lack of support

Folks, just a hunch but I don't think the bulk of the Dems are against Cornyn's amendment. I think the Dems will trade support for this provision in return for the repubs supporting the AgJobs bill if and when it comes to the Senate floor. No point in giving away a barter chip for nothing.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:53 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/13/2007
Compare
lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold lacrossegc is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Wait a minute -- there is an error in Oh's entry??

If you look at THOMAS it actually shows that Yeas are 55 and Nays are 40
So the bill passed the voting ....
but it failed because it was ruled "out-of-order" and hence rejected ...
I dont know why it was ruled out of order ... maybe because it was attached to the defence spending bill so it was not the right place to put in this kind of amendment....

I hope that Yeas mean YES and Nay mean "NO" or I need to get my head examined