Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 12:11 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute
Default From IV: If are badly affected by a bad immigration lawyer

We are getting some media interest on covering stories of people who have had a bad experience with Immigration lawyers. Lot of people post on various forums about their experiences with law firms handling/mishandling their cases. This is an opportunity for you to let everyone know how you are badly hurt and suffered due to this experience.
We would be collecting such stories and use it for media as needed. If you are interested in sharing your experience pls email us your brief story and contact details at info at immigrationvoice.org
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2007, 12:20 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of

I a "good immigration lawyer" an oxymoron? Ok, just kidding..

I'm sure this thread will have no problems attracting posts.. here is mine: My priority date went current in June, and I sent in all my paperwork before 25th May, but my lawyer never bothered to file anything until July. The July 17th press release by USCIS (thanks to IV) saved my skin, else I do not know what I would be doing now. I was one frustrated person until July 17.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:23 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute
Default How about bad experience with USCIS approved Civil Surgeons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu
We are getting some media interest on covering stories of people who have had a bad experience with Immigration lawyers. Lot of people post on various forums about their experiences with law firms handling/mishandling their cases. This is an opportunity for you to let everyone know how you are badly hurt and suffered due to this experience.
We would be collecting such stories and use it for media as needed. If you are interested in sharing your experience pls email us your brief story and contact details at info at immigrationvoice.org

I had pretty nasty experience with a physician during the Immigration Medical (Arlington Heights, Illinois). After spending $1600 (on me, spouse and kid) I had to change physicians and go through the entire process again with another physician (and ofcourse pay the entire fees again). I want to file a complain againt this physician. Does anyone know where/how I can do this?

Pappu, incase you think media would be interested in this issue I will be happy to send my personal story.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Jul-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute paskal has a reputation beyond repute
Default physician complaints

as a physician myself my info on complaining may be limited :-)
but the way to do it is to to complain to the state medical board in case of negligence, malpractice etc
the other simpler way is to write to the employer or clinic administration etc these days patient complaints do considerable carry weight..

To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and not worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest!
Don't be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the ark and professionals the Titanic!

Old 08-02-2007, 12:31 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/01/2007
Chargeability
:
South Africa
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2007
Compare
samra is a jewel in the rough samra is a jewel in the rough samra is a jewel in the rough
Default gt law stay away from them

gt law has not made this already stressful process any easier. it amazes me that these people that i pay seem to be under the impression that they are doing me a favour by actualy doing their job. they charged me +-$500 to recive my paper work for the i-485 filling sit on it for 3 weeks and send it back to me, they were not prepared for the july bulletin and only notifed me that all pds were current around 6/20/2007. they did not even let me know that the uscis decision has been reversed and that i can file again before august. luckly i had learnt my lesson dealing with them after the june buletin and thanks to this website and a new lawyer i was able to file 5 days after uscis reversed thier decision.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:37 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
May-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
12/13/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/01/2007
Compare
Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of Pineapple has much to be proud of

Sorry about that, Eternal_Hope..
First, $ 1600 seems a tad high, even for three applicants.. malpractice/negligence might be a tough sell if the doctor has not actually caused you harm (by misdiagnoses, for example). But, I agree with Paskal that complaining to the clinic's administration might help. Unless the said doctor is a partner in the practice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal_Hope
I had pretty nasty experience with a physician during the Immigration Medical (Arlington Heights, Illinois). After spending $1600 (on me, spouse and kid) I had to change physicians and go through the entire process again with another physician (and ofcourse pay the entire fees again). I want to file a complain againt this physician. Does anyone know where/how I can do this?

Pappu, incase you think media would be interested in this issue I will be happy to send my personal story.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:03 AM
Priority Date
:
May-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/15/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/15/2008
Compare
ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts ras is infamous around these parts
Default negligence by lawyer in filing 140

my lawyer e-filed I-140 and didn't seem to send the supporting documents in time. They dont give any information correctly and keep me misguided. God knows if it has reached USCIS and that it will be accepted. But this act of negligence is keeping me worried and may continue till I hear from USCIS that my application thru.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute Eternal_Hope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Physician Complaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by paskal
as a physician myself my info on complaining may be limited :-)
but the way to do it is to to complain to the state medical board in case of negligence, malpractice etc
the other simpler way is to write to the employer or clinic administration etc these days patient complaints do considerable carry weight..

Thanks Paskal and Pineapple !

I will definitely definitely try and file a complaint with anyone who lends a sympathetic ear!

I also found this email address of USCIS for complaints - "USCIS-COMPLAINT@DHS.GOV".

Old 08-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Priority Date
:
Apr-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Bangladesh
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
gc4me is a splendid one to behold gc4me is a splendid one to behold gc4me is a splendid one to behold gc4me is a splendid one to behold gc4me is a splendid one to behold gc4me is a splendid one to behold gc4me is a splendid one to behold gc4me is a splendid one to behold
Default How about employer ???

There are a huge number of bad employers out there.
We all should know about them. My employer did not provide me Employer Verification Letter after so many emails (100s at least) and phone calls (200s at least). I was eligible to file in JUNE. At last when I stopped sending my timesheets so that client can not be billed, they provide me the letter in 2nd week of JULY. Thanks to JULY 17th visa bulletin. Otherwise I would be in great trouble.

We should compose a list of all bad employers and attorney's so a new H1B can choose and stay away from all these crooks.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future DallasBlue has a brilliant future

I dont expect anyone to comeout open and expose their attorney esp when their case is pending.
And once one gets thru this nerve wercking nightmarish life devastating mess of GC journey , one would put everything behind and will not revisit it. (atleast thats what I see around from people who got the gc's). Once its over , and they get their gc's, they will be glad its over and want to move on.

Certainly there seems to be some protection for the clients from the Attorney's office exploiting the situations of the clients. (like if one gets an RFE or something and the attorney's office demands more $$$)

important thing is getting an agreement/contract signed between attorney and the client upfornt.

http://www.usdoj.gov/eoir/bia/qaprac...an_FullVer.pdf
http://www.usdoj.gov/eoir/vll/fedreg.../fr27jn00R.pdf

It is usual that Attorneys do not charge for the RFE's and some of the fees quoted are as below

http://www.immigration-law.com/Inquiry%20Form.html
http://www.hooyou.com/services/attorneyfee/index.html
http://www.usavisanow.com/adjustment...sretainer.html
http://www.usavisanow.com/lcgreencardretainer.html

http://blogs.ilw.com/joelstewart/200...ohibits_a.html

Also came across on the web about
"CFR Parts 3 and 292" which talks about the statutory limations with fee

published June 27, 2000

8 CFR Parts 3 and 292

Section 3.102

"However, we are aware of instances in which practitioners
have preyed on unsuspecting clients by charging them exorbitant fees
for handling relatively routine immigration matters, or worse yet, have
charged clients for services that were never rendered at all.
Protecting clients from practitioners who charge such grossly excessive
fees is the purpose of this provision."

"fees are negotiated
with a client up front, the client has the option to go to a different
attorney if he or she finds that the fees are too high"

http://www.shusterman.com/attyrules.html

http://www.abanet.org/cpr/mrpc/rule_1_5.html

-------------
bottomline like all the members here say , better be informed, take informed decisions and always be on top of your case than regreting/sorryful later.
-----------

-- disclaimer am not a lawyer

Old 08-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBlue
I dont expect anyone to comeout open and expose their attorney esp when their case is pending.
And once one gets thru this nerve wercking nightmarish life devastating mess of GC journey , one would put everything behind and will not revisit it. (atleast thats what I see around from people who got the gc's). Once its over , and they get their gc's, they will be glad its over and want to move on.

-- disclaimer am not a lawyer

That is exactly why immigration law practice is a breeding ground of attorney malpractice. Immigrants have much bigger fish to fry - like maintaining status at all times - and they easily forgive gross malpractice.

But making a complaint against the lawyer in state bar (every state has its state bar) is effective, easy and good thing to do if lawyers have messed up your case. Especially, if its intentional in collusion with a bad employer.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/28/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/30/2007
Compare
abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute abhijitp has a reputation beyond repute
Default true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclife
That is exactly why immigration law practice is a breeding ground of attorney malpractice. Immigrants have much bigger fish to fry - like maintaining status at all times - and they easily forgive gross malpractice.

But making a complaint against the lawyer in state bar (every state has its state bar) is effective, easy and good thing to do if lawyers have messed up your case. Especially, if its intentional in collusion with a bad employer.
In my case, although my lawyer/ paralegal has made mistakes in almost every stage until now, I am giving them the credit for
1. working over-time to submit my AOS by July 2
2. offering to correct their misakes (although usually only when I persist)

However if their mistakes lead to failure or irreversible delays then I will be forced to complain to the state bar.
2) Flowers campaign, SJ rally, Youtube Video Campaign, Attended DC Rally & co-ordinated Airfare Sponsorships, Gathered and mailed over 300 letters in Admin Fix campaign
PD: Aug 2006. I-485: July, August 2007 @ TSC. I-485 approved on June 15, 2011

Old 08-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Imm_Exploited is on a distinguished road
Default Was Forced Change Lawyer!!

My previous attorney took more than 2 months to respond to my e-mail before the introduction of PERM. Thanks to my new attorney, PERM was filed later (sadly after October 2005) and the previous PD captured. I hope I am in a better situation becuase of my new attorney.

I agree that immigration lawyers are there to make money because of the backlogs, but I hope some day, the process is made simpler and applicants can file on thier own.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-05
Category
:
EB1
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
maniac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imm_Exploited
My previous attorney took more than 2 months to respond to my e-mail before the introduction of PERM. Thanks to my new attorney, PERM was filed later (sadly after October 2005) and the previous PD captured. I hope I am in a better situation becuase of my new attorney.

I agree that immigration lawyers are there to make money because of the backlogs, but I hope some day, the process is made simpler and applicants can file on thier own.
Can you share your PD capture experience here? If not here then maybe through a PM. I am trying to recapture my EB3 PD for Eb2 filing but my lawyer is taking forever to get this done and comes back with possible issues such as what if uscis asks you to withdraw your EB3 application, what if they don't reply at all etc.

It would be great if you can list the steps your lawyer went through to capture PD.

Old 08-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Belgium
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
mangelschots will become famous soon enough

I hardly ever get to talk to my lawyer. He eventually responds to most my emails (not all) but always in a way that raises more questions than I had before. IV is a good source off finding things that I didn't think about. But I hate to rely on IV member answers in threads as gospel. There is a lot of misinformation out there. It can be cumbersome to get my lawyer to give clear answers on whether some issues apply to me or not.

My lawyer relies heavily on his paralegals do to most of the work. I was not very happy with how my LC was done. We had to do it over twice for RiR (because my boss took too long to progress but the paralegal failed to notify us about the 6 month deadline). When PERM came out, we tried again and I had to redo that several time, only to never file PERM. For 2 of the retries (going through the full advertisement things) we had to cancel it because the paralegal neglected to inspect the material I forwarded to her immediately, only to find problems at the last moment, voiding the whole effort. (the other 2 failed attempts was the first when it turned out that PERM didn't work and the last - which was golden, because of retrogression)

when I finally got my LC (from the backlog center) last year, I wanted my lawyer to start preparing for I-485. The answer I got was that there is plenty of time (my PD is Mar 2004) and refused to start up the paper work. That also meant that they were scarce in providing me with details of what they needed. When the bomb dropped in June and July, she got swarmed with preparing hundreds of petitions from scratch. I had to wait for her to get to my dossier and only then did she give me the details (but not all). Luckily I knew a bit what was needed (thank you IV) and had gathered most of what I needed during the last 6 years.

I understand that USCIS requirements can change over time but I am fairly sure that in 2025, when I finally get to file, my name and birthdays of me, my wife and our parents are still the same. I,m also fairly certain that my birth certificate by then is still going to be the same. Would it have killed them to start a dossier when they had the chance and start gathering that info at the earliest convenience ?

I once got fed up and went to another lawyer. But when I explained my problems, he refused to take me on. He probably figured i wasn't a 'virgin immigrant' anymore and was afraid of getting sued.

Anyway, my I-140 got filed in December and I just got my RN for my I-485, filed in June 25.