Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2006, 02:34 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute
Default CDs or Computer chips to lawmakers

Hello,

We are in the midst of planning to send something to lawmakers offices to kind of have similar impact the brick campaign is having. Send-a-brick-to-lawmaker has been a hugely successful campaign in support of a wall on the southern border to stop illegal immigration. Its creating a lot of buzz on the capitol hill about the urgency of border security. More details of that campaign can be found Here. To see the pictures of that campaign Click here

What we should do?

Looking at the success of this campaign on the hill, we would like to send something to lawmakers that would signify the importance of legal hi-skills immigrants that this organization represents and ask them to fix the broken legal immigration system.

Two ideas are being considered in core group of IV:

Computer Chips: These cost around 49 cents a piece. Plus mailing expenses. Take into account that we have to send it to atleast 30 influential lawmakers on house and senate side. The only problem could be that chips may look like something bad and not go thru X-ray machines.

CDs: CDs would cost 99 cents a piece if they are printed(with IV material) and some powerpoint/pdf etc recorded in it. Plus mailing expenses. This is probably a better option right now as we can also put a message on these CDs.

Please come up with ideas and share it with us so that we can choose the best path possible.
Bookmark and Share Compare

Old 07-16-2006, 03:58 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold
Default better idea - maybe

how about we send CDs with the scanned copies of our degree certificates and transcripts with names blacked out ofcourse ?

let the law makers have a look at the type of people they may lose if the GC mess is not cleaned up.

Old 07-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB1A
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/29/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
Appu is on a distinguished road

Those guys sent bricks to symbolize the fact that the congress was not doing what they wanted and they were helping get the process started by supplying congress with a brick.

So we should do something similar. What we are saying is: Without us, the skilled immigrants, the US economy would eventually tank. Don't take our word for it, read the Augustine report.

Some suggestions:

1. Send miniature copies of the statue of liberty. Serves to remind them that the US is a nation of immigrants and what it says below the statue: ""Give me your tired, your poor..." May be we can play on these words and engrave or write something like "Give me your engineers, your programmers, Ph.D.s.." on the statue's pedestal.

2. Everyone order copies of the Augustine report and send them to your reps and senators. These are bulky and will get noticed. You can even print them out. This will be a cheaper option.

3. Send the American flag. A big one. Same idea as in (1) - symbol of American freedom, economic strength etc.

4. Send a printout of this photo showing Werner von Braun signing his citizenship paper and send it along with a model of the Apollo. Self explanatory! Illustrates the supreme benefits of skilled immigrants to the US.

Will do more later but got to go now and spur the US economy by working on a Sunday like all hard working skilled immigrants, or "slaves", depending on your point of view.

Old 07-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Nov-04
Category
:
EB1A
I140 Mailed Date
:
07/29/2007
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
Appu is on a distinguished road

Statue miniatures.

Here's one for under a dollar

Here's a bigger one for $3.

Old 07-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jul-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/20/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/22/2012
Compare
ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute

Logiclife,

thanks for this initiative. I'm positive that you will get a number of ideas from IV members. My take on this is that we need to emphasize that American Citizens are for legal immigration.

I cannot speak for everyone else but my co-workers support legal immigration over illegal immigration (CIR). I've personally discussed this issue with a number of my co-workers and they are supportive/sympathetic to our cause (May be we can take a poll of IV members to find out if they are comfortable discussing this issue with their co-workers. IV core can come up with the language that should be used while approaching these co-workers).

If this will fly, we can take a picture with each of our co-workers (american citizens) who are supportive of our cause along with their signatures on the back of the photo. I can get atleast 10 signed-pictures from my co-workers. Once we collect all the pictures, IV can mail them to the respective elected representatives.

Budget-wise this will work but I'm not sure if all IV members are comfortable doing this with their co-workers. Besides, lobbying efforts at work place are considered illegal, so this has to be done on a personal level. May be over lunch or over a drink.

I'll be working on other ideas in the mean time. Good Luck!

Old 07-16-2006, 05:44 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute GCBy3000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stratergy is a must

If you see those bricks, it was all sent by citizens opposing illegals. Illegals did not send any bricks to oppose the construction. It will have more weightage when sent by citizens.

Either we have to have some statergy to pull our co-worker citizen as logiclife said to implement our ideas or we have to come up with more creative way of doing this if done by ourselves.

We can come up with idea of other European countries pulling the exisiting H1B's from US and the long term impact of this to US economy.

Old 07-16-2006, 06:10 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
sobers is on a distinguished road

guys,

this is a great idea. However to get max impact we neeed to do this properly.

one thing is bricks are big and bulky (also cheap) and hence, noticeable. that is why they've had an impact.

We need to send something cheap, big, impactful, and more noticeable- ideas??

Old 07-16-2006, 07:40 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
neoneo will become famous soon enough
Default My 2 cents on Ad campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclife
Hello,

We are in the midst of planning to send something to lawmakers offices to kind of have similar impact the brick campaign is having. Send-a-brick-to-lawmaker has been a hugely successful campaign in support of a wall on the southern border to stop illegal immigration. Its creating a lot of buzz on the capitol hill about the urgency of border security. More details of that campaign can be found Here. To see the pictures of that campaign Click here

What we should do?

Looking at the success of this campaign on the hill, we would like to send something to lawmakers that would signify the importance of legal hi-skills immigrants that this organization represents and ask them to fix the broken legal immigration system.

Two ideas are being considered in core group of IV:

Computer Chips: These cost around 49 cents a piece. Plus mailing expenses. Take into account that we have to send it to atleast 30 influential lawmakers on house and senate side. The only problem could be that chips may look like something bad and not go thru X-ray machines.

CDs: CDs would cost 99 cents a piece if they are printed(with IV material) and some powerpoint/pdf etc recorded in it. Plus mailing expenses. This is probably a better option right now as we can also put a message on these CDs.

Please come up with ideas and share it with us so that we can choose the best path possible.

Yikes ~~! Bad Move, It's an excellent idea but to send Computer chips or CD not the best idea coz unfortunately the senators / house reps arent really the most tech savy people around. I wouldnt be surprised to see FBI land up on someones doorstep coz that person sent a computer chip in an envelope Also, CD is something they wouldnt really have the time to open and listen or watch.

My 2 cents would be to send them a small booklet ( bunch of bound papers ) with the list of immigrant CEO's /CTO's/ Founders/Professors people in the news. basically a media campaign and against each cofounder the money and jobs USA would LOOSE if these companies / research was to be done in their own country.

Senators / house reps understand numbers and this will make more sense than just harping about how H1 / GC help the economy.

sample would be :
Webex
founders : Subrah Iyar and Min Zhu; Revenue lost to India/China: $300 MM; Jobs lost to India/China : 1800

Qualcomm CEO : Jain
LSI Logic : CEO Talwalker

we can just add up Hotmail, Google, Yahoo, juniper, Sycamore networks, Magma. Apart from that there are bunch of mid size tech( worth few hundered Million $) companies in the bay area.

I'm sure they'll be lot of immigrants from England, Australia, Israel, Hungary, france etc, other than India and China who have made a difference.

Before we know it, you'll be surprised to see that the jobs lost would be in hundereds of thousands and revenues lost would be in billions of dollars.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:50 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/31/2008
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
dixie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoneo
Yikes ~~! Bad Move, It's an excellent idea but to send Computer chips or CD not the best idea coz unfortunately the senators / house reps arent really the most tech savy people around. I wouldnt be surprised to see FBI land up on someones doorstep coz that person sent a computer chip in an envelope Also, CD is something they wouldnt really have the time to open and listen or watch.

My 2 cents would be to send them a small booklet ( bunch of bound papers ) with the list of immigrant CEO's /CTO's/ Founders/Professors people in the news. basically a media campaign and against each cofounder the money and jobs USA would LOOSE if these companies / research was to be done in their own country.

Senators / house reps understand numbers and this will make more sense than just harping about how H1 / GC help the economy.

sample would be :
Webex
founders : Subrah Iyar and Min Zhu; Revenue lost to India/China: $300 MM; Jobs lost to India/China : 1800

Qualcomm CEO : Jain
LSI Logic : CEO Talwalker

we can just add up Hotmail, Google, Yahoo, juniper, Sycamore networks, Magma. Apart from that there are bunch of mid size tech( worth few hundered Million $) companies in the bay area.

I'm sure they'll be lot of immigrants from England, Australia, Israel, Hungary, france etc, other than India and China who have made a difference.

Before we know it, you'll be surprised to see that the jobs lost would be in hundereds of thousands and revenues lost would be in billions of dollars.
Actually thats not a bad idea at all. And I totally agree that senators and congressmen (or their staff for that matter) wouldnt be the most tech savvy folks around. In fact, competeamerica.org already has such a compilation of foreign born entrepreneurs and the companies they started. All we need to do is add to the list if possible, and calculate the number of jobs they created. But there is one point to note though : not all those foreign born wizs came through the EB route.Many of them were born in a foreign country and accompanied their parents to the USA when they were kids (like sergey brin and jerry yang). I am not sure including them would be factually accurate to support our cause.

Anyways, one thing to keep in mind is it is very hard for us to have as dramatic an effect as the brick campaign, simply because of our small numbers and the fact that it is US citizens sending those bricks. But we can do what we can to publicise the contribution of EB immigrants.

Last edited by dixie; 07-16-2006 at 08:54 PM.

Old 07-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator
Priority Date
:
Feb-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/09/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/08/2007
Compare
gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute gsc999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Send some strings

Send some strings!

- Strings to tie those bricks sent earlier to the legs of American economy.
- Strings to tie hands of people who innovate.
- Strings to tie legs of people who want to escape misery and poverty and look to America as the beacon of hope

Protectionist measures like building a wall never last, e.g.:
- Wall between East and West Germany
- Great Wall of China
- Iron curtain of erstwhile Soviet Union
- Proposed wall between US and rest of the world.

Human spirit is insurmountable and will find ways to overcome such barriers. US legislative branches have to display leadership and decide if that spirit will be kept kindled in US or be unwelcome and be moved to some other more welcome part of the World.

Last edited by gsc999; 07-16-2006 at 10:09 PM.

Old 07-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
May-05
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
11/05/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/17/2007
Compare
pdakwala will become famous soon enough pdakwala will become famous soon enough

Everyone,

Please feel free to post your thoughts. It is going to help us to decide what to do.

Thanks

Old 07-17-2006, 03:06 PM
Priority Date
:
Dec-04
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
10/03/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
nb_des will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdakwala
Everyone,

Please feel free to post your thoughts. It is going to help us to decide what to do.

Thanks
Send some momento with words like " Help us in taking america to a new height in innovation and technical leadership"

Old 07-17-2006, 03:16 PM
Priority Date
:
May-01
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
days_go_by is on a distinguished road

I agree raising awareness among lawmakers is avery important, but are CDs and chips the right media?
I don't expect lawmakers to read every piece of mail we send, but staff members are a lawmaker's eyes and ears. We should catch their attention.
I think it would be hard for us to grab their attention with CDs and chips, they maynot view it at all, because of danger of viruses etc. It might get help up at some security check. And if they decide to ignore it, they can easily trash it.
The adavantage of sending something physical (like a brick) is it catches immediate attention and you cannot easily trash it. If it lies around in a room, it will keep reminiding the officials of the various issues.
My suggestion is we should send them reports, presentations etc in paper format that they can easily view.

Old 07-17-2006, 03:35 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold qualified_trash is a splendid one to behold
Default playing Devil's Advocate

I am only playing Devils's advocate to "neoneo" - so please no fighting here!!

The booklet idea, on the face of it, is good. However, the assumption that those companies would still be founded and the revenue be lost to countries such as India/China/Wherever, is incorrect.

Someone may very easily (and probably correctly) argue that the very reason those immigrants came here and founded the companies was because it was next to impossible to do so in their home countries.

We will be better off, IMHO, to present what each one of us in the group (people impacted by GC retrogression and DOL processing vagaries) brings to the country in terms of education, ability to retain high paying jobs directly resulting in higher payment of taxes, ability to give to the Social Security pool thereby increasing solvency of the same and last but not the least contributing to the economy, culture and overall development of the USA to help it maintain its position at the top of the global heap.........

We telling the lawmakers, give us the GC or else.......... we will go to our home countries is, not exactly, but, comes close to being blackmail :-))

Old 07-17-2006, 03:47 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
rujulm is on a distinguished road
Default Degree Certificates Skil Act

I welcome the initiative of the core team to raise awareness in congress and sensitivise them to our issues.

I have the following point:
Whatever we do or send, the message should be POSITIVE and tell them HOW THEIR PASSING SKIL/CIR HELPS THEIR DISTRICS AND COUNTRY.

With all respect, I think sending icons such as Statue of Liberty or a CD would be less effective because these are icons that may not have the same connotations in their minds as we hope.

I on the hand support the idea given by qualified_trash.

I propose every memeber of IV and every one else we can reach, who has a US advanced degree, is on a non-immigrant visa, (and would qualify for benefits of Skil act, were it passed) to send a color photocopy of his/her PhD or Masters certificate. I think the name should NOT be crossed out as anonymous communication to the congresspersons carry no weight and there should be no harm in proudly identifying to this cause. Moreover, education information is public anyway and would not result in any loss to privacy.

This would send a proud but not cocky message to the congress in a simple and iconic way. Here are the people that Skil act can retain in the USA if it is passed.

Major impetus of the Skil act is to retain US educated foriegn workes (many of us) and removal of them from the visa queue will go a long way to reducing the queue for the rest of skilled workers with non-US degrees.

P.S. IV core could suggest a target list of congress persons to send these degrees and perhaps draft a format cover letter, which could be personalized by each sender.

Closed Thread