Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
GreeNever will become famous soon enough
Default Indians working abroad to receive special attention: Ravi

How about leveraging the Ministry for Overseas Indian Affairs too? Though the content does not necessarily reflect conditions in US, it still seems to be bang on here (in light of Pres.Bush's impending visit to India) :

New Delhi: Problems being faced by Indians working abroad will receive special attention, Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi said listing his priorities as he took charge of the ministry in New Delhi on Monday.

Ravi, whose assumption of charge as Cabinet minister is expected to lend high profile to the year-old ministry, said he would also make efforts to bring "further improvement" in the functioning of Indian missions abroad in relation to workers.

"Indians working abroad do face problems. There are persisting problems. My first priority will be to look after their interests and protect them," he told reporters.

Observing that about 25 million Indians were currently working abroad, he said the problems are particularly faced by Indian workers in Gulf countries.

The minister said addressing the issue would include sensitising the missions with regard to problems of Indian workers.

"Although the complaints [about attitude of the missions with regard to immigrant workers] have come down, there is a need for further improvement in their functioning," he said.

Emphasising that his ministry would be working with the external affairs ministry, he said he would make efforts to ensure change in labour laws in the countries where Indians are working.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

I..sort of have turned philosophical abt the whole process. Having said that, I also see bright flashes off and on...(just kiddin'). I talk optimism, walk optimism, eat optimism, sleep optimism ..ends here!.

If all that it takes is - a copy of our presentation to be mailed/emailed to this 'super cop' of a minister or his office, I would still do it. That way, I have at least challenged him..

Old 02-08-2006, 05:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Wink

... I'm reminded of a popular interview in which a well-noted singer was asked as to how he managed to wed a stunning model. All that he had to say was "I just asked" ..

Hey, U never know..so let's just do it ..

Old 02-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Priority Date
:
Category
:
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
black_logs is on a distinguished road

I agree, It is just that I'm so frustrated to see them doing almost nothing since they came to power. All they talked since then is reservations...not a single project. After 2 years in power only 1 project they have initiated since then is this airport upgradation project that too is Vajpayee government's brainchild.

Old 02-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

If it be projected as "a deed" endorsed by 1000 NRIs affecting abt 100000 NRIs in the US, even a lame duck will tend to grow back.. uptill it's web claw..

Old 02-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute

Guys complaining that the Indian Govt will not help us is nothing but a cry-baby thing. Ofcourse we get last preference! The Government in India will Obviously help the Indians in India first. I mean the country gave us our education and we turned our backs to it "so to speak". When the country was in trouble we escaped it, now that it is doing well, we expect it to solve our problems and crib that it is doing nothing for us? Let's not forget, we can STILL go back and lead great lives there, but we CHOOSE to be here.

I am all for exploring different avenues to solve this crisis. But at the same time i request all the members on here to please refrain from India/Indian Government bashing. It is very easy to keep asking what the Indian government has done for its ppl. If you go to India today, u will see a Sea of change from as late as 2000. The economy is doing great and ppl are happier than ever. Maybe the Govt had a hand in it maybe it didnt, but pls do not publicly ridicule ur own country and its Government on public boards like this. I am sorry if i am stirring a controversy here, but that is not my aim.

Old 02-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Jul-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

Hi eb3_nepa,

I share your views. It's just that 'venting it out' at times may not amount to a total undermining of the merit involved, much as it seems that way. This is not to justify this either. Let's take some 'retro-bothered' views in our stride and brush under the carpet anything that is not meant to be..

It is with the intention of intellectually engaging a promising office that I had proposed we do the above. If this leads to something concrete it will bring smiles - else, no hard feelings..we are either mature or inured to. It's one of those efforts.

Take it easy, folks and BE PROUD OF ALL YOUR EFFORTS. Hey, at the end of it..we all played!

Keep up the spirit! ..we all love our motherland , as also the land that we want to grow on ...

Old 02-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute

Greenever i totally support that view. I am all for trying to contact the ministry incharge. All i meant is, if it does not work out, we shudnt start throwing insults at the Government. We pay ZERO taxes in India and technically do Nothing worth writing home about for our country or it's government.

U know it is interesting that we bring up Indians and the Indian Government debate. The Government did what it could to further the economy. Then we had Scams in BPO offices (Citibank etc). The Question now is, who is the bigger problem, the Indian Govenrment or the Indian? Another example: People litter the streets and expect the Govt to pick up after them. A simple example here. On my recent visit to India, at the bombay airport, in the immigration queue, i saw an Indian guy just dump a soiled plastic bag in a perfectly clean area, while standing in the Queue! Just left it there, as though it was a dumping ground. Try doing that on ANY airport here! Forget the police, one of the citizens here will ask u to pick up ur trash.

Thoughts anyone?