Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2006, 08:32 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
beppenyc is on a distinguished road
Default bi-partisan bill

I was reading an interesting article in Fox News.
Pres. Bush has made clear that he will sing a comprenshive bill, so the House bill is dead (thank god). So to have a bill it has to be a bipartisan, because the Rep alone can`t have any bill and that it will be devasting for the mid term election. This will be Hastert call, he knows that if there is a conference, it there a Bill like the senate one it will pass.
So, i would not give to much of importance, i think that the only way to have something will be with the next congress or with a kind of miracle.
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 10:23 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
posmd has a spectacular aura about posmd has a spectacular aura about posmd has a spectacular aura about
Default See the source of pessimism!

Here is a posting from Matthew Ohs website.

07/26/2006: Hutchison-Pence Plan: Where is the Beef?

* The details have yet to be made available about this Republican proposal, but this proposal does not address the need for legal immigration reform at all. Besides, the proposal totally fails to address the backbone of the illegal immigration reform which includes the role of temporary guest workers and the undocumented aliens in lower end sectors of the nation;s economy and economic growth. This proposal fails to recognize the seriously broken immigration system and need for immigration reform.
* This proposal is a disaster from the perspectives of both legal immigrant community and illegal immigrant community, and this website rejects legitimacy of this proposal.

It would seem better for us if this falls apart as I was saying earlier. Then SKIL provisions can come back after the elections.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-02
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Canada
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
starving_dog is on a distinguished road
Default Summary of Hutchinson & Pence Dream

This a summary of the Hutchinson & Pence plan posted on AILA as released by Hutchinson's & Pence's offices. There appears to be nothing there to help us and the rest can be stuffed into a pipe and smoked.

http://www.aila.org/content/default.aspx?docid=20098

Old 07-26-2006, 09:53 AM
Priority Date
:
Nov-01
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
China
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
richshi is on a distinguished road
Default A major chinese newspaper labels this bill as:

"Screw Asian Bill". It does not mention anything about legal immigration, about retrogression, all it does is give Central American people some false hope and exploit their labor.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/03/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
bijualex29 is on a distinguished road
Default Let look this bill in a positive aspect Hutchison-Pence Plan EB provision is not incl

Let look this bill in a positive aspect, Hutchison-Pence Plan EB provision is not included.
Think about this, this plan do not have any provision for either illegal or Legal. Guest worker program is implemented once President declared that “Border is secure”. The approximate time is 2 years, but you folks now, in government 2 years means add Zero to it, i.e 20 years. This bill is just to make conservative republican happy, in fact this bill is the same version as they passed in Dec, 2005.
In the recent interview in fox news Speaker of the house clarified that he is willing to listen to Pence Plan and put it on floor, if Securing the border comes first. That is what exactly Pence plan it. I agree that it is the most stupid plan I have seen.
Anything added to house version will dilute the momentum and can postponed indefinitely.
Senate version I believe as long a Sen.Alen spector is there, he will try to include EB provision or incorporate SKIL bill, especially with Nurse quota getting exhausted, and with H-1B quota also got exhausted, and this can be worked out in conferece committe without prejudice.
I am sure there are lots of brain involved and strategy involved in it.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:11 AM
Administrator
Priority Date
:
Mar-06
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/06/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2007
Compare
pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute pappu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pence plan

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...072401004.html

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/24/AR2006072401004.html

Pls. write to the corrospondents- Jim VandeHei and Charles Babington
http://projects.washingtonpost.com/s...les+babington/
projects.washingtonpost.com/staff/email/jim+vandehei+and+charles+babington/

explaining that this proposal is a disaster from the perspectives of legal immigrant community. Mention name of Immigrationvoice.org to contact for more details

his own email id is-- babingtonc@washpost.com

It will help us get some coverage on legal immigration while the Pence plan is being debated in the media

Last edited by pappu; 07-26-2006 at 10:13 AM.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:18 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Jimi_Hendrix will become famous soon enough
Default I wrote to babington

based on pappu's quote

Old 07-26-2006, 11:25 AM
Donor
Priority Date
:
Jul-08
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
03/20/2009
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/22/2012
Compare
ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute ghost has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappu
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...072401004.html

Mention name of Immigrationvoice.org to contact for more details

It will help us get some coverage on legal immigration while the Pence plan is being debated in the media
Armey, former House speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) and former Republican National Committee chairman Ed Gillespie were briefed on the plan in hopes that they would help build pressure on skeptical lawmakers, the aides said.

It was mentioned in the article that Gillespie was briefed...Hopefully he discussed some of our proposals on behalf of QGA.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:49 AM
Priority Date
:
Aug-10
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
madaram is a splendid one to behold madaram is a splendid one to behold madaram is a splendid one to behold madaram is a splendid one to behold madaram is a splendid one to behold madaram is a splendid one to behold madaram is a splendid one to behold
Default all bills

hi,
The problem with most of the bills introduced or being thought of are not realistic {except mccaine/kennedy} they either address the issues in totally bizarre way or they dont answer it at all.If we see the pence plan, i feel that how these guys are so out of touch of the issue and they want to come up with a proposal which if implemented will be a blunder.situation we have now cannot be addressed leaving legal or illegal,it has to be in whole and i dont think its so tough to come up with a better plan if they study what is the problem and how realistic the solution is to implement and to be successful.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:24 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Compare
pankajkakkar has a spectacular aura about pankajkakkar has a spectacular aura about pankajkakkar has a spectacular aura about
Default Just spoke with Rep Pence's office

I just talked to Rep Pence's office in DC. I was told that the Congressman sees the 2 year certification requirement in the Pence-Hutchinson plan as independent of the provisions of the SKIL bill; that is to say, the latter will not be subject to the first.

This is good news for us.

I was also told that it's not clear at this time when, or whether, SKIL will come up for a vote.

This is not such good news; however, as I've posted before, I dont think SKIL is intended for a separate vote anyway. In my opinion, SKIL will get added to any immigration legislation that the House passes during conference, and will be voted on as part of the conference produced legislation.

Pankaj

Old 07-28-2006, 03:52 PM
Banned
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts senthil1 is infamous around these parts

You have Phd. Then you must be eligible in processing by Eb1. For Eb1 waiting time is very less and most of the times it is current. Any reason company not processing in Eb1? So why should you wait 4 or 5 years. Infact eb2 also waiting time is within reasonable time. By the time Labor clears wiating time for eb2 is around 1 year. Waiting time is very high for Eb3. But fluctuation was there from 1997. Now it is much better than 1996-2001. Because those days h1 was 6 years but now people can extend indefinitely. I think october may bring a big movement(atleast 6 months) in priority date

Old 07-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Compare
pankajkakkar has a spectacular aura about pankajkakkar has a spectacular aura about pankajkakkar has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by _m3_rulz_
Why do you think SKIL will be incorporated into any immigration legislation that the House passes during conference? Any justification for that?

Please explain.
I don't have a justification, it's mostly gut feeling. I'll explain why I have this gut feeling; I may or may not turn out to be right.

There is a lot of pressure from industry for SKIL. On top of that, there is bipartisan support for SKIL. These two would indicate that SKIL, were it to come to a vote by itself, would pass heavily. I'm not pessimistic in that regard.

However, in this environment, it is tough for the House to vote on SKIL in isolation. It will only be voted on as part of a larger immigration bill, as in the Senate. That way the SKIL provisions get by and large ignored in the public eye, and the focus is on the guest worker provisions for illegal immigrants.

People in the House are +ve about SKIL, they are only looking for a way to get it in quietly. And conference is the best place for that stuff to happen (a lot of unpalatable legislation gets added in conference - just the way it works!).

Of course, a lot of time politics defies common sense, so who really knows? We'll see if I'm right. I predict SKIL passage after conference and Bush signing it before year end, and I also predict that Joe Public won't realize what SKIL is, ever.

Pankaj

Old 07-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
05/02/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/30/2007
Compare
vgayalu is a jewel in the rough vgayalu is a jewel in the rough vgayalu is a jewel in the rough
Default When is the the conference?

Mr Pankaj,

May I know the date (Possible) of coference to get pass the SKIL bill please?

Old 07-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Priority Date
:
May-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
01/01/2001
Compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgayalu
Mr Pankaj,

May I know the date (Possible) of coference to get pass the SKIL bill please?
If we knew the dates of the conference, that would be the end of the predicting business here on IV .

Sorry, don't mean to be flippant. No one quite knows when conference will be; but optimistic people like me think it'll happen before year end.

Pankaj

Old 07-28-2006, 08:17 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
posmd has a spectacular aura about posmd has a spectacular aura about posmd has a spectacular aura about
Default Skil

SKIL is a bargaining chip nothing else nothing more. If it needs to be sacrificed in the larger scheme of things then so be it. That is the conservative republican view. Anti Immigrants like Tancredo and his caucus do not give a damn about SKIL, they are for reductions in all immigration and they are the ones driving this opposition to the CIR.

I am just not able to see how in the absence of SKIL in the Pence-Hutchinson proposal it will magically appear in conference. Tancredo's caucus will be sure to kill it there and since Bush etc want a political victory at any cost right now he will accept something like that. It is not just a fear it is grounded in some reality of what we are seeing.
I am almost hoping for a democrat house in the fall and a Dem House/Republican Pres. allignment on this issue. I just do not trust those House Republican conservatives to do anything for ANY immigrants. They are appearing more and more like xenophobes every day, losing all sense of rationale they were once known for.

Last edited by posmd; 07-28-2006 at 08:19 PM.