Immigration Voice - Forums
Register Get Involved Contact Lawmakers Advocacy Discussion Image Image Image Image

Go Back   Immigration Voice > Immigration Voice Issues and Congressional updates > IV Agenda and Legislative Updates
Click to log in with Facebook
IV Agenda and Legislative Updates Immigration Voice's Agenda and Legislative Updates

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2006, 09:33 AM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
EADchallenged is on a distinguished road
Default Hutchison-Pence compromise: Does it include EB retrogression relief?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...072401004.html

Does this last ditch effort include any retrogression relief or is it only going to have border and workplace enforcement in the first 2 years?
Bookmark and Share Compare Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2006, 10:43 AM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute

the underlying premise is that the president certify that the border is secure. For this to happen, a 400 million $ investment and atleast 2 years are needed. I think this compromise is trying to salvage the bill in some form, and is primarily addressing the main concerns of the bill - ie, the 11 million illegal workers. it would be good though, if they threw in some morsels for us in there..nothing major..just stuff like..ability to file for 485 etc.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:54 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute njboy has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know about the compromise but pence's initial immigration plan is a bit out of touch with reality. He wants the illegals to leave US, go back to mexico, get biometric visa, their employees should file with labor saying they wont be displacing US workers, and then they can return into US. He says this will force the illegals to self - deport, but whats going to happen is, it will cause CIR to fail from the word go.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/03/2004
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/02/2007
Compare
bijualex29 is on a distinguished road

The final version of this bill will be entirely different that what we see right now.
All we want now is to have a compromise comitee.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:05 PM
Priority Date
:
Sep-04
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
09/01/2005
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
07/24/2007
Compare
logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute logiclife has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not going to work

I dont think that illegals are going to "Self deport" themselves and go back to home country to get temporary visas. Not with their jobs and children and family ties here. Visa stamping is not a simple matter. Its not an oil-change that you can drive to Jiffy lube, get oil change done in 15 minutes and VOILA, you are good to go.

This plan will not work. Illegals would prefer to stay illegals rather than going back to Port of entry to get a visa stamp.

These lawmakers are so out of touch from reality, they are pulling solutions sitting in their offices without probably having met any immigrant.

Even legal immigrants choose to avoid travel back home and miss the marriages and funerals of loved ones. Why? Because the visa stamping is unpredictable, and it can alter the course of your life and career forever.

So far, the only people who have put serious thought, hard work and effort on immigration reform are McCain and Kennedy. They spent months before they came up with McCain-Kennedy in 2005. Unlike the late-comers who are pulling solutions out of thin air. This is just grandstanding and proposing worthless solutions and nice sounding acronyms like SAFE etc.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Priority Date
:
Mar-05
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare

good point, logiclife. noone's going to leave..i just hope that in the compromise, they have some mention of retrogression..at this point, we have had zero legislation in our favor..atleast if they allow us to file 485, we can have limited portability, and get EADs for ourselves and our spouses. To enact such a rule will not require a big act or anything..because it is not increasing the number of visas or whatever. It is just interpreting the current rules in a more liberal fashion.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Priority Date
:
May-01
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
days_go_by is on a distinguished road
Default from immigration-law.com

07/25/2006: Republicans to Introduce Immigration Bill Aiming at Bridging Republican Division

* Today, Washington Post has reported that Senator Kay Hutchinson of Texas and Representativ e Mioke Pence of Indiana will unveil a plan "today" that would allow most of the 11 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. a chance to work here legally, but only after the government certifiesthat U.S. borders hae been sufficiently secured. The proposal would pressure illegal immigrants to self-deport to their home countries within 2 years of the law's enactment and apply for a new kind of visa that would allow them to return to the U.S. quickly and work legally if a job awaits them. They would have to work here for 17 years, however, to be eligible for U.S. citizenship. Please stay tuned.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Priority Date
:
Aug-01
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Jimi_Hendrix will become famous soon enough
Default To summarize..

Since we keep hitting a rock when it comes to political representation of our problems, I would like to see if WE can summarize the reasons for this apathy.
As I see it, the reason we get overlooked when push comes to shove is that:
1) This is an election year and illegal immigration is more hot than anything else.
2) In the past we have taken this crap from lawmakers/enforcers and they cannot suddenly see our problems in the current instance where we are resisting their apathy
3) Politicians act only when the issue starts burning and creating untolerable pain for their stakeholders - we have tried to define these pain points to them in the form of outsourcing threat, brain drain etc., but really is there something that they would care about much more?
4) (Any ideas from you all?)

Old 07-25-2006, 02:49 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Nigeria
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of

i think they plan to overcome this hurdle by involving the private sector. I just want to see something passed so I know where I stand and know how to move forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclife
I dont think that illegals are going to "Self deport" themselves and go back to home country to get temporary visas. Not with their jobs and children and family ties here. Visa stamping is not a simple matter. Its not an oil-change that you can drive to Jiffy lube, get oil change done in 15 minutes and VOILA, you are good to go.

This plan will not work. Illegals would prefer to stay illegals rather than going back to Port of entry to get a visa stamp.

These lawmakers are so out of touch from reality, they are pulling solutions sitting in their offices without probably having met any immigrant.

Even legal immigrants choose to avoid travel back home and miss the marriages and funerals of loved ones. Why? Because the visa stamping is unpredictable, and it can alter the course of your life and career forever.

So far, the only people who have put serious thought, hard work and effort on immigration reform are McCain and Kennedy. They spent months before they came up with McCain-Kennedy in 2005. Unlike the late-comers who are pulling solutions out of thin air. This is just grandstanding and proposing worthless solutions and nice sounding acronyms like SAFE etc.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Priority Date
:
Jan-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
EADchallenged is on a distinguished road
Default Pass something yes, will it have EB provisions?

I agree that we should try and support passage of some sort of legislation, but we have to make sure it contains the necessary EB relief.

Old 07-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Priority Date
:
Jun-03
Category
:
EB3
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-140
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute eb3_nepa has a reputation beyond repute

Logiclif has summarised this quite effectively. NO immigrant is going to go back and come back legally, unless you give him MAJOR and i mean MAJOR incentiveSSS to do so (yes just one incentive wont do). So unless they are planning on saying something like, "IMMEDIATE Green cards for those who do this, with NO tax for the next 5 years", I dont think any un-documented immigrant would be stupid enough to take the necessary steps. Think about it, you are getting to stay and work here without having to pay ANY taxes, plus no documentation means you can never be easily located. Why would you relinquish your position of strength?

Old 07-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Priority Date
:
Apr-06
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
06/29/2006
Chargeability
:
India
Processing Stage
:
I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
08/14/2007
Compare
redcard has a reputation beyond repute redcard has a reputation beyond repute redcard has a reputation beyond repute redcard has a reputation beyond repute redcard has a reputation beyond repute redcard has a reputation beyond repute redcard has a reputation beyond repute redcard has a reputation beyond repute redcard has a reputation beyond repute redcard has a reputation beyond repute redcard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Very absurd compromise solution

This is a real absurd idea,, its quite surprising that lawmakers come up with these idea’s…. which illegal is going to go back with no certainty to return.. and how could they have a job waiting for them when in the first place they don’t have a legal ‘ JOB’ ,… and which employer would come forward and say that he has an illegal working with him today…to keep a job for him when he comes back after getting a legal visa…this whole bill is a failure right from the word go…

17 years to get citizenship.. who ever heard to that……and what happens if the person looses his job in these 17 years.. it does not make sense….for all we know with President Bush talking of return to moon in 2020… you could have people applying for residency on moon… this compromise if it ever gets thru , will only make that matter bad to worse…It time the lawmakers accepted the fact that you cannot do much about the 11 million people who are here.. either way you have to accept them.. any compromise should aim in making sure that in future you do not have situation where you have 11 million illegal ever again.. and like always… no one will talk of legal immigrants in this bill…unfortunately the legal immigrant community is to tolerant ..

Old 07-25-2006, 03:50 PM
Priority Date
:
N/A
Category
:
N/A
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Nigeria
Processing Stage
:
N/A
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of Alabaman has much to be proud of
Red face

Why can they just admit that they have made a mistake by not having secured their borders all these years. It is so obvious that the only solution is to secure their borders and legalise all illegals.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:31 PM
Priority Date
:
Oct-02
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
Labor Certification
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
morpheus is on a distinguished road

Waiting 17 years for citizenship sounds like slavery to me. They would have to use the private sector since it is clear DOL/USCIS couldn't handle it.

Any idea when they will post the text of the bill, so we can see if it has any legal EB reforms?

Old 07-25-2006, 04:37 PM
Priority Date
:
Feb-07
Category
:
EB2
I140 Mailed Date
:
Chargeability
:
Processing Stage
:
I-140+I-485
I485 Mailed Date
:
Compare
cableman is on a distinguished road
Default Agreed with Logiclife

I agree 100% logiclife. However, this is true based on the fact that US hasn't enforced the laws to make the illegals miserable to live here. If the House passed some strict laws to fine companies or people big time to employ illegals and if they also passed laws such as disallowing illegals' descendents to study in school, some illegals *MAY* consider to go back home because it is not comfortable anymore to live in this country. In this past, this country encouraged people to come illegally. They gave them driver licenses, their children can go to school or colleges, they could even buy house, look for jobs and enjoy medical benefits. Please tell me why would they want to go back home? They live no difference than a US GC holder!! I think the politians realized it and they want to pass some strict laws to discourage the illegals to come and stay. Of course some illegals will decide to try, but their lives won't be as comfortable as before.

Anyway, as I mentioned in another message, the concentration is still on the illegals. We are just orphans.